Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 21 Aug 2011, 01:23 (Ref:2943534)   #26
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Just $25 million? The track "upgrades" alone would be $125 million.

The sad thing is, the 'infield" section was built for 1988 in an attempt to get the US GP in 1989, but, of course, that "honor" went to Phoenix.
Old 21 Aug 2011, 01:29 (Ref:2943535)   #27
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist View Post
Just $25 million? The track "upgrades" alone would be $125 million.

The sad thing is, the 'infield" section was built for 1988 in an attempt to get the US GP in 1989, but, of course, that "honor" went to Phoenix.
That's Bernie's $25 million and don't forget he get's that every year, depending on how long he wants the race held there.
Old 21 Aug 2011, 01:34 (Ref:2943537)   #28
Carsandmotorracing
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland NZ
Carsandmotorracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeks6 View Post
Spend half the money and lets get back to The Glen!
Ding ding ding! We have a winner
Old 21 Aug 2011, 02:24 (Ref:2943546)   #29
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
As I said I'm presuming that's what Whitmarsh has in mind. Long Beach has done well over the years and would need a lot of upgrading to accomodate F1 but it always draws a great crowd. Otherwise where else on the West Coast, Laguna Seca? Bernie would ruin it and Monterey County isn't going to stump up $25 million.
Your right Long Beach has done well in the past, I used to love going down there to watch CART in the good old days..

Upgrading you can't really do because they race on the streets nothing is permanent about the LB circuit, unless I am missing something?

Let's start with *one* purpose built facility and then go from there, if there is a desire for another venue in the USA, a second race, then all well and good...
Old 21 Aug 2011, 02:57 (Ref:2943547)   #30
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post
Your right Long Beach has done well in the past, I used to love going down there to watch CART in the good old days..

Upgrading you can't really do because they race on the streets nothing is permanent about the LB circuit, unless I am missing something?

Let's start with *one* purpose built facility and then go from there, if there is a desire for another venue in the USA, a second race, then all well and good...
I never went to Long Beach but I used to watch CART at Laguna Seca. As you say Long Beach is a street circuit so nothing permanent there, just like Monaco or Valencia.
Old 21 Aug 2011, 05:11 (Ref:2943565)   #31
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Except for the pits, everything at Melbourne and Singapore is temporary as well.
Old 21 Aug 2011, 05:21 (Ref:2943567)   #32
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist View Post
Except for the pits, everything at Melbourne and Singapore is temporary as well.
True. As for othervpermanent tracks on the West Coast, there's Sonoma but I doubt you'd get the crowd that you'd get at Long Beach and there's Fontana, if you use the infield; Indianapolis Mk II?
Old 21 Aug 2011, 06:42 (Ref:2943579)   #33
Carsandmotorracing
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland NZ
Quote:
True. As for othervpermanent tracks on the West Coast, there's Sonoma but I doubt you'd get the crowd that you'd get at Long Beach and there's Fontana, if you use the infield; Indianapolis Mk II?
Laguna Seca mate!
Old 21 Aug 2011, 10:48 (Ref:2943632)   #34
johntt
Veteran

England
England
johntt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carsandmotorracing View Post
Laguna Seca mate!
I'd love to see it, but it ain't gonna happen.
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit.' And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." -Ayrton Senna
Old 21 Aug 2011, 11:05 (Ref:2943634)   #35
Carsandmotorracing
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland NZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by johntt View Post
I'd love to see it, but it ain't gonna happen.
Yeah I know, would love to see it happen though
Old 21 Aug 2011, 14:13 (Ref:2943676)   #36
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carsandmotorracing View Post
Laguna Seca mate!
If only.
Old 21 Aug 2011, 14:39 (Ref:2943686)   #37
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
I never went to Long Beach but I used to watch CART at Laguna Seca. As you say Long Beach is a street circuit so nothing permanent there, just like Monaco or Valencia.
I think the pitlane and garages are permanent in Monaco aren't they?

In Long Beach there is that whole infield garage area where the fans can constanly get in the way of teams trying to move the cars around, it does work though and I have very fond memories of The Long Beach Grand Prix..

I remember just walking up to Mario Andretti, and spending some time in a Penkse motor home speaking with Rick Mears, what a lovely chap he is...

I was very fortunate to be a guest of Emerson Fittipaldi for two years in a row, an incredilbe man to talk to, very passionate about his racing and quite fast at that time...

I do not mean to name drop by the way, just sharing some special moments with your guys..

I am hoping that the F1 teams and drivers will make an attempt to embrace the fans the way American open wheel and indeed the NASCAR series does, as I think this will have a major effect on how successful F1 is in the USA in the years to come..
Old 21 Aug 2011, 21:47 (Ref:2943824)   #38
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
I think the pitlane and garages are permanent in Monaco aren't they?
nah, the garages come down and the pitlane is returned to its usual job as a promenade. they put the christmas market and mini fairground on it, for example.
Old 21 Aug 2011, 21:51 (Ref:2943828)   #39
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
nah, the garages come down and the pitlane is returned to its usual job as a promenade. they put the christmas market and mini fairground on it, for example.

Thank you bella, I should know this stuff...
Old 21 Aug 2011, 21:58 (Ref:2943832)   #40
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
I just watched a race at Road America, that is a nice race track....
Old 21 Aug 2011, 22:11 (Ref:2943839)   #41
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
I just watched a race at Road America, that is a nice race track....
It's great track. I watched the ALMS race from there yesterday but Bernie would want his fee and the track would need a lot of upgrading and probably be butchered for an F1 race. Mid Ohio is nice track and I always like Portland but again it's the fee and the cost of upgrading and the possible butchery.
Old 21 Aug 2011, 22:15 (Ref:2943841)   #42
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
Quote:
It's great track. I watched the ALMS race from there yesterday but Bernie would want his fee and the track would need a lot of upgrading and probably be butchered for an F1 race. Mid Ohio is nice track and I always like Portland but again it's the fee and the cost of upgrading and the possible butchery.
This is all very true and so in the long run these tracks are better left alone as they host all types of events without needing F1 to survive it seems..
Old 21 Aug 2011, 22:20 (Ref:2943842)   #43
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
This is all very true and so in the long run these tracks are better left alone as they host all types of events without needing F1 to survive it seems..
They seem to do all right but wouldn't it be great to see a GP at one of those tracks.
Old 21 Aug 2011, 22:22 (Ref:2943844)   #44
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
I think it would be wonderful..
Old 21 Aug 2011, 22:32 (Ref:2943851)   #45
Jacques Rabbit
Veteran

Slovakia
Jacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Find an unused airport in the NYC area. A wide, flat track. It would be unique among F1 tracks, easier to do than a street race, and anyone who saw CART at Cleveland knows this is a very awesome thing to do once a season. I guess finding one where you can make a layout over 2.5 miles might be tough, but if it's not in use, there's no reason they can't make some additions.

Total fantasy, but then again, Bernie's going to talk to every city in Jersey until one agrees...
Old 21 Aug 2011, 22:33 (Ref:2943852)   #46
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
No thank you...
Old 21 Aug 2011, 22:46 (Ref:2943860)   #47
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques Rabbit View Post
Find an unused airport in the NYC area. A wide, flat track. It would be unique among F1 tracks, easier to do than a street race, and anyone who saw CART at Cleveland knows this is a very awesome thing to do once a season. I guess finding one where you can make a layout over 2.5 miles might be tough, but if it's not in use, there's no reason they can't make some additions.

Total fantasy, but then again, Bernie's going to talk to every city in Jersey until one agrees...
That would be novel but I don't see any city in Jersey parting with millions of $ just as the economic climate looks bad again.
Old 21 Aug 2011, 23:20 (Ref:2943869)   #48
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
It would be novel, I did not mean to slam the door on your idea Jacques, sorry about that..

But that approach is just not F1 for me..
Old 21 Aug 2011, 23:45 (Ref:2943880)   #49
Jacques Rabbit
Veteran

Slovakia
Jacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
It would be novel, I did not mean to slam the door on your idea Jacques, sorry about that..

But that approach is just not F1 for me..
No worries. I suppose the logic was to give the USGP a bit of a uniquely American identity (something a bit over-the-top, bordering on gimmick-y), but if that strays to far from F1's identity, it will never work. All about a bit of balance there, trying to appeal to the Americans without causing the television audience worldwide to collectively groan.

Having grown up around the bullring short tracks that race stock cars and midgets and the like in the U.S., I've always tended to air on the showy-if-not-gawdy, radical-if-not-cheesy side of race promotion. I've seen more than my fair share of flooding tracks with water and racing boats, or elephants on roller skates, or people jumping from planes and trying to land on start/finish lines, or whatever that I'm probably a bit out of place in F1.

In all seriousness, I like to see proposals and an effort to get some more North American dates on the basis that I can stay out late on a Saturday night and not have to record the races when they're in or around my time zone, but as pointed out, the money isn't there. I'd rather see if Austin's a success before we decide to flood a nation with races, and Montréal does serve the Northeast pretty well.

I guess there is some pressure from teams to make the North American trips have multiple races, though, to be cost efficient, which is likely why Mexico discussions opened up in addition to the Jersey talk.
Old 22 Aug 2011, 01:28 (Ref:2943902)   #50
Carsandmotorracing
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland NZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques Rabbit View Post

Edmonton City Airport is still used for Indycar...