Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

View Poll Results: Do you know what a camshaft does?
Yes, I do. 89 89.00%
No, I don't. 11 11.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Old 6 Aug 2011, 19:06 (Ref:2936522)   #1
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Do you know what a camshaft does?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/oly...pionships.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by Des Lynam
Its coverage seems to be directed to those who actually know what a camshaft does.
So I have a question. You are, presumably, an F1 fan. Do you know what a camshaft does? The poll is anomonous, so don't worry know one will see what you answered.
Old 6 Aug 2011, 19:13 (Ref:2936526)   #2
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
In my shame, I must admit to knowing, what a camshaft does. Oh the embarrassment!
Old 6 Aug 2011, 19:37 (Ref:2936543)   #3
Urgentemente
Racer

United Kingdom
Liverpool,UK
Urgentemente should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Simple..

it's a shortened version of "Camera Shaft",
a piece of equipment for attaching a camera to in order to hold it steady such as at ..oh, say , an F1 meeting...
I suspect that BBC will have a few for sale very soon.. (keep checking on ebay..)

Alternatively, Camera Shaft might be an apt term to describe what has happened to BBC F1 fans....
Old 6 Aug 2011, 19:41 (Ref:2936545)   #4
GolddustMini
Veteran

GolddustMini should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
its a handle whittled from wood near the river cam in cambridgeshire isnt it?
Old 6 Aug 2011, 21:19 (Ref:2936654)   #5
alan1302
Racer

England
Doncaster, UK
alan1302 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Of course I know...it's...erm...

'A camshaft is a shaft to which a cam is fastened or of which a cam forms an integral part'

Ah...Wikipedia...my saviour
Old 6 Aug 2011, 23:55 (Ref:2936761)   #6
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Pay attention we want answers, that includes you Marspot..
Old 7 Aug 2011, 00:08 (Ref:2936764)   #7
herowassenna
Veteran

herowassenna should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I do know.
And if I had the chance with Cameron Diaz, I'd fulfil the prophecy, lol
Old 7 Aug 2011, 00:58 (Ref:2936768)   #8
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post
Pay attention we want answers, that includes you Marspot..
Currently, I'm only required to answer yes or no. However, when the time comes for a detailed explanation, I will be only too willing to oblige.
Old 7 Aug 2011, 00:59 (Ref:2936769)   #9
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
Currently, I'm only required to answer yes or no. However, when the time comes for a detailed explanation, I will be only too willing to oblige.

Old 7 Aug 2011, 01:23 (Ref:2936773)   #10
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I do know what a camshaft does. I do not know how someone can gripe about how the BBC should employ one non-gearhead when they started out the editorial quoting Jake Humphrey.
Old 7 Aug 2011, 03:57 (Ref:2936785)   #11
dsg
Veteran

Thailand
Chonburi
dsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Can anyone tell me what a Des Lynam is? Besides uninformed.
Old 7 Aug 2011, 07:07 (Ref:2936799)   #12
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
He's a national treasure. He's been a sports anchor man since the beginning of time. He used to work for the BBC, but left for the big bucks.
Old 7 Aug 2011, 09:24 (Ref:2936816)   #13
Oldtony
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast Australia
Oldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Ah the wonders of Google advertising linking!
My access to this question came up with an ad-link to the "Sealey Petrol Engine Camshaft Locking Kit for the Vauxhall/Opel 1.6/1.8"
Old 7 Aug 2011, 10:07 (Ref:2936823)   #14
Lotusonpole
Veteran

United Kingdom
NW England
Lotusonpole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLotusonpole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsg View Post
Can anyone tell me what a Des Lynam is? Besides uninformed.
It's a bit like a camshaft.
It (used to) sits in a studio housing rotating so as to come into contact with other parts and make them work.
Old 7 Aug 2011, 10:15 (Ref:2936825)   #15
Hubble
Veteran

England
Bishops Stortford, Herts
Hubble should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHubble should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
He's a national treasure.
Perhaps it's time someone buried him....
Old 7 Aug 2011, 10:46 (Ref:2936834)   #16
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Its a guy named Cam that shafts people.

What do I win?
Old 7 Aug 2011, 18:18 (Ref:2936930)   #17
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GolddustMini View Post
its a handle whittled from wood near the river cam in cambridgeshire isnt it?
nearly, it's what they call the pole that you push a punt with
Old 7 Aug 2011, 18:42 (Ref:2936936)   #18
fourWheelDrift
Veteran

United Kingdom
fourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
nearly, it's what they call the pole that you push a punt with
I'm a dab hand with one of them, learnt on the Cam in cambridge. Learning to punt is very satisfying, I can't remember anything else that seems so difficult when you first try it but which you can pick up and become really confident so quickly. Never knew it was called a cam shaft though, and what's that to do with motorsport?
Old 7 Aug 2011, 18:49 (Ref:2936937)   #19
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
I know one thing about them, they sometimes break in half if you drop them on a concrete floor !
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 7 Aug 2011, 19:03 (Ref:2936940)   #20
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
You can also use them as spears, with a sharpened end. Sometimes known as 'over-head camshafts'. When struck by one of these 'camshafts' a condition known as 'cam-in-head' can occur. Assassins use them quite frequently and they are known as 'single over-head camshafts'.

Last edited by Marbot; 7 Aug 2011 at 19:16.
Old 7 Aug 2011, 21:02 (Ref:2936973)   #21
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I know what it does. What's the prize?
Old 7 Aug 2011, 21:21 (Ref:2936976)   #22
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Beware. Some camshafts have cam followers. Upset them and your in trouble
Old 7 Aug 2011, 22:00 (Ref:2936980)   #23
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
I'll ask what a árbol de levas is down the beach bar tomorrow
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 7 Aug 2011, 23:54 (Ref:2937001)   #24
bravo
Racer

England
North East England
bravo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've heard these cam followers are rockers?

Possibly metalica.
Old 8 Aug 2011, 00:08 (Ref:2937006)   #25
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
This, I believe, is the man responsible for the invention of the Desmodromic camshaft system as used on Ducati bicycles. Des Lynam.

Bloody Italians!