Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 13 Aug 2011, 01:41 (Ref:2939112)   #26
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
A whole bunch of red plonkers marching their best work in the form of a fuel hose down the length of the pit lane certainly springs to mind when I think of Felipe's Ferrari support.
That happens to Felipe. Hamilton runs into Kimi at the traffic lights, etc, etc. 2008: Let's face it, Kubica wasn't too far off winning that one!
Old 13 Aug 2011, 01:50 (Ref:2939115)   #27
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Here is the thing from my perspective..Jacques Villeneuve your music is rubbish and so is your driving these days...

And I know music as I have been involved with 75 Million album sales..
Old 13 Aug 2011, 02:09 (Ref:2939119)   #28
AMP Marshal
Racer

Canada
Nova Scotia
AMP Marshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeks6 View Post
Oh I gotta make a comment here.

There has never been an undeserving WDC ... lucky, yes, undeserving no. Its over a SEASON so there will be ups and downs and certain things that everybody remembers but if you do enough to win it over 16 or 18 races you deserve it.

Much as I think JV is a total nob a lot of the time, people tend to forget that he was a very good race driver. I was at that first GP and he was good. There was next to nothing between he and Damon Hill and I regard Damon as a good steerer as I'm sure most do. No Jim Clark but pretty good. JV lost the plot after Williams and never got it back IMO. For the record I think Kimi's a nob too and yes, he was lucky (I think his teammate was better than him in that year but unlucky) but undeserving - no.
Time to jump in as a Canadian. He can be a knob at times, but he's the only Canadian to ever win a F1 WD championship. He won in Cart, the Indy 500. Not too many people with that on their CV. At Suzuka his left front wheel flies off on lap 26, had a chance to win that. Gets called in front of the WMC for not lifting under a waved yellow, like has that ever happened before or since, no one lifts, check the telemetry if one can. Passes Shumi on the outside in Portugal.l Forget the corner's name, but it was a right hander, kinda quick. After that world beater that was the Rothmans Williams Renault, it turned into a Veltens with that horrible Mecachrome junk of a lump that Flavio was part of. After that, Craig P messed the whole thing up with BAR.

On top of all that, there is a corner @ AMP named after his old man, so I'm a bit biased.

My rant is done.

Last edited by AMP Marshal; 13 Aug 2011 at 02:25.
Old 13 Aug 2011, 07:58 (Ref:2939161)   #29
p-matt
Veteran

p-matt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
JV is a complete knob. But as much as I don't generally regard his opinion, he has a point. Kimi was lucky to win the 2007 championship. He was lacklustre for the first half of the season and was outperformed by Felipe when he shouldn't have been. He did a decent job in the second half of the year to take a string of wins, but was helped massively by McLaren's self implosion. Kimi drove much better in 2003-2006 in McLaren and after Felipe was injured in 2009 than he did when he took the title in 2007. Equally, 2008 was probably Hamilton's worst year in F1 and he won the title then.

His point about Massa deserving the title is utter ******** though. Maybe he's just saying it to save face as he was beaten by Massa in the same team before Massa moved on to Ferrari. I don't know how he has the authority to say Felipe has done well this year when he said a few weeks ago that F1 is boring now and he doesn't follow it!
Old 13 Aug 2011, 09:07 (Ref:2939175)   #30
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post
And I know music as I have been involved with 75 Million album sales..
We got all kinds of music here boss!

Country and Western!

Old 13 Aug 2011, 09:33 (Ref:2939186)   #31
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by garcon View Post
We got all kinds of music here boss!

Country and Western!

Old 13 Aug 2011, 09:58 (Ref:2939192)   #32
littleman
Veteran

littleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridlittleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
He does like to be abrasive and controversial and is certainly well past his sell by date.

However, he did win the Indy Car Series, Indianapolis 500, 2nd and 1st in F1 Drivers Championship and 2nd at Le Mans with Peugeot. Not bad for a knob.
Old 13 Aug 2011, 11:25 (Ref:2939206)   #33
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Here's the link to the article: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/93714 (should have been posted at the start)

He's being very nice to Massa, a driver who is Alonso's lapdog and moves over at any opportunity. It's sad to see because Massa's fairly capable. He seems to be being paid a lot of money to move over when necessary.
Old 13 Aug 2011, 12:05 (Ref:2939213)   #34
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
Here's the link to the article: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/93714 (should have been posted at the start)

He's being very nice to Massa, a driver who is Alonso's lapdog and moves over at any opportunity. It's sad to see because Massa's fairly capable. He seems to be being paid a lot of money to move over when necessary.
Well then I can't feel much sympathy for Felipe ...
Old 13 Aug 2011, 13:09 (Ref:2939225)   #35
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
I don't think he's 'washed-up' in any tier of the sport below F1 if he applies himself. He's potential in NASCAR as long as he's approaches it in a professional way. That's where he's lacking and his silly comments bear that out to a point. Right now, he's becoming a bit of an Eddie Irvine character.
Old 13 Aug 2011, 13:31 (Ref:2939231)   #36
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
And here's the full interview : http://www.totalrace.com.br/site/ent...her-e-estupida
Old 13 Aug 2011, 15:13 (Ref:2939250)   #37
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
He seems to be being paid a lot of money to move over when necessary.
He certainly didn't put up much of a fight with Alonso, coming out of turn 1 at the Hungaroring. Sad to see this from a man who very, very, very nearly, almost won a WDC.
Old 13 Aug 2011, 15:15 (Ref:2939251)   #38
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
He certainly didn't put up much of a fight with Alonso, coming out of turn 1 at the Hungaroring. Sad to see this from a man who very, very, very nearly, almost won a WDC.
The problem is that he has resigned himself to the fact that he is second fiddle at Ferrari, much the same as Ruben's did when Michael was there..
Old 13 Aug 2011, 15:52 (Ref:2939259)   #39
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
The problem is that he has resigned himself to the fact that he is second fiddle at Ferrari, much the same as Ruben's did when Michael was there..
Agreed. Massa needs to go elsewhere if he's to get his mojo back. His current points situation suggests that either Alonso is a driving God or that he, himself, just isn't very good. We know both to be, not true.
Old 13 Aug 2011, 18:10 (Ref:2939297)   #40
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
. Right now, he's becoming a bit of an Eddie Irvine character.
I'd rather listen to something that Eddie say's anyday!
Old 13 Aug 2011, 23:15 (Ref:2939373)   #41
stripedcat
Veteran

stripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridstripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I was just thinking, that maybe Kimi reminds Jacques a bit too much of himself. A fantastic racer to watch(Kimi's many wins at Spa and his win at Suzuka 2005 - Jacques taking Schumi at Estoril in 1996), who for some reason loses his racing mojo. Kimi in 2008(sort of - he still won a few races and was 3rd in the championship) and Jacques in 1998 onwards.

Plus they are both known for being 'colourful' characters. Although, with Jacques he seemed to take that literally if I recall - namely his hair colour at one time!
Old 13 Aug 2011, 23:34 (Ref:2939375)   #42
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
IMHO Kimi could wipe the floor with Villeneuve...

Kimi is a charger, a real race driver much like Lewis and Senna..
Old 14 Aug 2011, 18:50 (Ref:2939599)   #43
herowassenna
Veteran

herowassenna should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
It's sad to see because Massa's fairly capable. He seems to be being paid a lot of money to move over when necessary.
LMFAO.....

Schumi had Verstappen, Lehto, Herbert, Irvine, Rubens as his lap dogs and then during his final season was equalled by Felipe in a handful of races. Considering that I believe that Schumi raced with circumstances which allowed his great success, Ferrari and Benetton built around him, other teams never stepping up to the challenge and competing drivers who won't trouble the Top 20 greats list, it's not a surprise Massa was there abouts.

Felipe proved over 3 seasons how over-rated Kimi really was. Kimi fans always speak of his nearly winning WDC at Mclaren, but he didn't and some races he was out-driven by a man who never harnessed his abilities fully, JPM.

2 articles stood out for me over the last 10 years. One season preview in 2005 asked a panel of Autosport experts how Alonso vs Fisichella would fare. Really.... no brainer. Yet they all said 50/50, too close to call.
Then a similar article at start of 2010, about Alonso vs Massa... again??

Felipe is a good number 2 driver, in the same mould as Webber, Barrichello, Patrese, Berger. Fairly capable? Yes, but no great.

Alonso was always going to go to Ferrari and dominate. I made a point on these forums pre 2010 about his speaking Italian making a massive difference to his acceptance by Ferrari and Italy in particular. Schumi never learnt the language till Barrichello arrived and even then purely a few words.

He is their favoured son, and the team will always gravitate around him. Thats why if Lewis ever signs for Ferrari, it will be a very different dynamic with Alonso there already.
I know there's hatred for Alonso in the UK, funnily enough it is similar to Senna and the UK press after he veto'd Warwick from Lotus in 1986, but Alonso is a great, IMHO the best since Senna, Massa is not competition.
Old 15 Aug 2011, 11:41 (Ref:2939904)   #44
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
IMHO Kimi could wipe the floor with Villeneuve...

Kimi is a charger, a real race driver much like Lewis and Senna..
I'll second that, particularly with thoughts of Spa coming up.
Old 15 Aug 2011, 13:36 (Ref:2939968)   #45
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider View Post
It's unfair to use Spa as an example though - JV could never get past Eau Rouge
Old 15 Aug 2011, 14:40 (Ref:2940008)   #46
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V View Post
Ouch !
Old 15 Aug 2011, 14:46 (Ref:2940012)   #47
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by herowassenna View Post
LMFAO.....

Schumi had Verstappen, Lehto, Herbert, Irvine, Rubens as his lap dogs and then during his final season was equalled by Felipe in a handful of races. Considering that I believe that Schumi raced with circumstances which allowed his great success, Ferrari and Benetton built around him, other teams never stepping up to the challenge and competing drivers who won't trouble the Top 20 greats list, it's not a surprise Massa was there abouts.

Felipe proved over 3 seasons how over-rated Kimi really was. Kimi fans always speak of his nearly winning WDC at Mclaren, but he didn't and some races he was out-driven by a man who never harnessed his abilities fully, JPM.

2 articles stood out for me over the last 10 years. One season preview in 2005 asked a panel of Autosport experts how Alonso vs Fisichella would fare. Really.... no brainer. Yet they all said 50/50, too close to call.
Then a similar article at start of 2010, about Alonso vs Massa... again??

Felipe is a good number 2 driver, in the same mould as Webber, Barrichello, Patrese, Berger. Fairly capable? Yes, but no great.

Alonso was always going to go to Ferrari and dominate. I made a point on these forums pre 2010 about his speaking Italian making a massive difference to his acceptance by Ferrari and Italy in particular. Schumi never learnt the language till Barrichello arrived and even then purely a few words.

He is their favoured son, and the team will always gravitate around him. Thats why if Lewis ever signs for Ferrari, it will be a very different dynamic with Alonso there already.
I know there's hatred for Alonso in the UK, funnily enough it is similar to Senna and the UK press after he veto'd Warwick from Lotus in 1986, but Alonso is a great, IMHO the best since Senna, Massa is not competition.
I agree with some of your points, but I'm not sure what you found funny about my post.
Old 15 Aug 2011, 18:02 (Ref:2940109)   #48
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Forget it...
Old 15 Aug 2011, 19:54 (Ref:2940153)   #49
stripedcat
Veteran

stripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridstripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V View Post
No he could make it through Eau Rouge - it was just that his car tended to be broken into a million different pieces by then!
Old 16 Aug 2011, 00:19 (Ref:2941595)   #50
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider View Post
I would love to see him come back...