Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

View Poll Results: Which will be the first 2020 GP?
Australia 0 0%
Bahrain 0 0%
Vietnam 0 0%
China 0 0%
Netherlands 0 0%
Spain 0 0%
Monaco 0 0%
Azerbaijan 0 0%
Canada 2 5.13%
France 2 5.13%
Austria 1 2.56%
Britain 3 7.69%
Hungary 0 0%
Belgium 3 7.69%
Italy 0 0%
Singapore 2 5.13%
Russia 0 0%
Japan 2 5.13%
United States 1 2.56%
Mexico 0 0%
Brazil 0 0%
Abu Dhabi 2 5.13%
Somewhere else 0 0%
There will not be a 2020 GP 21 53.85%
There will never be another GP 0 0%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12 Feb 2020, 12:50 (Ref:3957203)   #51
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It's been postponed, unsurprisingly:

Twitter

FIA Website
Old 12 Feb 2020, 13:00 (Ref:3957208)   #52
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Not a big surprise but we will have to wait until the virus situation is clearer before they can even think about a new date
Old 12 Feb 2020, 13:37 (Ref:3957217)   #53
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
Not a big surprise but we will have to wait until the virus situation is clearer before they can even think about a new date
Realistically is there a gap they can slot it in to anywhere in the calendar? Or is "postponed" really just "cancelled" by another name?
Old 12 Feb 2020, 13:44 (Ref:3957219)   #54
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
i think "cancelled" might be closer to the truth as the situation is not improving and they have different priorities at the moment
Old 12 Feb 2020, 13:53 (Ref:3957222)   #55
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
and the calendar is pretty busy as it is - last time a race was postponed (bahrain during the arab spring, or whatever the more politically correct name is) they couldn't fit it in.
Old 12 Feb 2020, 14:34 (Ref:3957229)   #56
smithhehehaha
Racer

smithhehehaha should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A little break for the drivers and the teams before moving back to Europe, can be very crucial for R&Ds.
Old 12 Feb 2020, 16:40 (Ref:3957259)   #57
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
given the circumstances, its the right decision...but almost a full month between Vietnam and Zandvoort. thats more then a little break.

probably too late to find another venue for that date. maybe schedule a test or some other fan experience type event to fill the gap?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
Realistically is there a gap they can slot it in to anywhere in the calendar? Or is "postponed" really just "cancelled" by another name?
if things improve, between Russia and Japan or Japan and US? the importance of the Chinese market may be enough to convince the teams to make it work.
Old 12 Feb 2020, 16:52 (Ref:3957264)   #58
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
I think the Chinese have more to worry about than the slotting the GP back in...
Old 12 Feb 2020, 17:04 (Ref:3957266)   #59
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!
Hear hear, I cant say that I will shed any tears about a GP that is towards the bottom of my 'must see 'list. But the current crisis puts such trivia as a Grand Prix into the right perspective - and it may be one of the few occasions when F1 acknowledged a real world problem, apart from the odd bout of virtue signalling black armbands that is. It's never been over fussed about people being banged up without trial and /or tortured in some countries it visits .
Old 12 Feb 2020, 17:07 (Ref:3957267)   #60
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
of course fair and true, but with all due respect, it is also true that at all times all countries in the world have more important things to worry about then F1 races.

just speaking for myself, i dont see whats wrong about speculating about life returning to normal in the future nor do i see speculating about a future date as insensitive to what is currently happening.
Old 12 Feb 2020, 17:13 (Ref:3957268)   #61
Nononsensecapeesh
Veteran

England
Stevenage, Herts, UK
Nononsensecapeesh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why does none of this surprise me?
Old 12 Feb 2020, 21:20 (Ref:3957317)   #62
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by coppice View Post
Hear hear, I cant say that I will shed any tears about a GP that is towards the bottom of my 'must see 'list. But the current crisis puts such trivia as a Grand Prix into the right perspective - and it may be one of the few occasions when F1 acknowledged a real world problem, apart from the odd bout of virtue signalling black armbands that is. It's never been over fussed about people being banged up without trial and /or tortured in some countries it visits .
Nor should it, F1 is a sport not a political outlet.
Old 12 Feb 2020, 21:31 (Ref:3957319)   #63
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skam85 View Post
Plus one to this!
Old 13 Feb 2020, 00:52 (Ref:3957337)   #64
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
To continue our slight detour off topic and to be a bit pedantic. Autoracing is a sport. F1 is more than just a sport. It is also a global business with tendrils that touch many things (sponsors, promoters, etc.). And as such, and to the chagrin of many, that makes it hard to avoid getting entangled in geo-political issues.

Richard
Old 13 Feb 2020, 07:57 (Ref:3957359)   #65
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!
Quote:

Oh come off it ! Modern F1 gives any regime the ability to willy wave and show off to its neighbours - why else would Azerbaijan have a GP ? It sure isn't their rich motorsport heritage is it ? Only 14 people and a dog even turn up to the Baku race .

And Ecclestone cosying up , and very publically , to Putin at Sochi , a few months after Russia's annexation of Crimea - was that really Vlad's hitherto unknown interest in V6 hybrid technology or - just a wild guess - a political act ?
Old 13 Feb 2020, 08:06 (Ref:3957360)   #66
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
I think you could argue that is shouldn't be a political outlet, but it is very difficult to make a claim that it currently is not when even drivers make comments such as:

'I'm sure many of the track selections for the calendar, it's just pure political reasons and money, rather than actually focusing on whether it's good for racing or not' - (Bottas, Jul '19)
Old 13 Feb 2020, 08:09 (Ref:3957363)   #67
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I think that is what Skam is getting at. Fundamentally it should just be a sport.
Old 13 Feb 2020, 08:43 (Ref:3957369)   #68
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Really? Most of the big races started off as commercial enterprises or to showcase the hosts or technology - take Monaco and Le Mans for two. The original Grands Prix - the city to city races - were as fiercely contested by the host cities as the cars.

F1 is not a sport. Never has been, except possibly for a short time in the 50s when the Bulldog spirit was there in the British teams. But they never really succeeded until a commercial genius like Chapman came along and use racing to promote his road cars.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 13 Feb 2020, 09:21 (Ref:3957377)   #69
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
As someone once almost said - it's a sport from when the red lights go out to when the chequered flag drops, and a business the rest of the time .

The truth is that any big time sport must be run in a business like way to survive . But when it is run purely AS a business greed tends to corrupt every level . Things went wrong as soon as Ecclestone started pimping F1 around to any joke regime that would stump up the going rate of 30 pieces of silver - this coincided with those who should know better starting to call F1 a bloody "brand" Along with 'icon ' , 'brand' is one of the most overused and meaningless terms of the last decade .
Old 13 Feb 2020, 10:46 (Ref:3957389)   #70
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Yep, we enjoy it best when the race starts, although we do get all the gossip behind the scenes too

Obviously the sport has grown massively. I just hope it's careful in the future. Obviously Bernie went on too long as shown by his deals. It should never have gotten that far. I just wish people would see it as a sport rather than a brand
Old 13 Feb 2020, 12:34 (Ref:3957415)   #71
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
Really? Most of the big races started off as commercial enterprises or to showcase the hosts or technology - take Monaco and Le Mans for two. The original Grands Prix - the city to city races - were as fiercely contested by the host cities as the cars.

F1 is not a sport. Never has been, except possibly for a short time in the 50s when the Bulldog spirit was there in the British teams. But they never really succeeded until a commercial genius like Chapman came along and use racing to promote his road cars.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
From what I've read, historically a lot of races were started up by racing enthusiasts. As the event became established and grew, it then became a commercial enterprise.

Given the circumstances, postponing the race is the right decision and cuts the Chinese race organisers a lot of slack, in what are very difficult circumstances. As for the race eventually being held, at some future date, 'm not going ti hold my breath.
Old 13 Feb 2020, 13:22 (Ref:3957426)   #72
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
Really?
Yes, I do think that is what he is getting at
Quote:
Most of the big races started off as commercial enterprises or to showcase the hosts or technology - take Monaco and Le Mans for two. The original Grands Prix - the city to city races - were as fiercely contested by the host cities as the cars. ...
I am sure that the comment was made in full knowledge of this. For many, they lament that. Even if it is an unrealistic view of the sport.

Last edited by Adam43; 13 Feb 2020 at 14:16.
Old 13 Feb 2020, 14:20 (Ref:3957437)   #73
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
I think that is what Skam is getting at. Fundamentally it should just be a sport.

It should be, but sometimes it suffers from putting itself in contraversial situations. Unfortunately global sports often ends up in politics either by accident or poor decision making from the rights holders or countries involved.
Old 13 Feb 2020, 14:50 (Ref:3957444)   #74
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Getting back on topic.

Not sure if this thread has much purpose other than to see if the event is rescheduled or cancelled. I think it may be hard to even consider setting a new date until the outbreak is truly on the downturn (or over). As I mention below, that is not exactly easy to determine.

I had been following the trends regarding new cases, recovery and deaths. And the outbreak looked to be significantly slowing in growth over the past week or more. But apparently the method previously used was flawed and likely under-reporting. My understanding is that "new cases" were based upon those who had actually been tested positive via a genetic test that looks for the virus. Questions to accuracy of those tests and a shortage of test kits calls into question the numbers reported. If you are running out of test kits, then you may show a decline where none may exist and may actually just be measuring availability of test kits!

So they are now including those who have been clinically diagnosed (usually via CT scan) as being infected, but have not yet been tested via the genetic based (NAT) test kit. So the number has jumped significantly and it's hard to determine any trend based upon older number given the discontinuity in reporting methodology.

Frankly I don't care about the loss of an F1 race. I just feel bad for the situation in China (and elsewhere) and those impacted by it.

Richard
Old 13 Feb 2020, 15:46 (Ref:3957459)   #75
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
"Approached by RaceFans about a potential switch, a spokesperson for race organiser Rosgonki emphatically ruled out a change of date: 'The calendar was confirmed by the FIA and F1 in October, and there will be no change of date for the Russian Grand Prix.'"