Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 1 May 2003, 15:49 (Ref:586364)   #1
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Tomas Enge

I wasn't quite sure where to post this, but I wanted to pose three basic questions:

1.) Was Enge's exclusion from last year's Hungaroring race (which cost him the F3000 championship) fair, under the circumstances?

2.) Why doesn't a man who won the F3000 championship on the track have a decent single-seater ride for 2003 (perhaps see above)?

3.) Just how good IS Enge? After all, he was in F3000 for four years before his championship-winning then -losing season. Bad teams? Or just not all that?
Old 1 May 2003, 16:06 (Ref:586390)   #2
*formula3*
Veteran

Germany
*formula3* should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
1. to me it wasn´t fair, he did not have an advantage with consuming pot...but there could be other opinions on it, there was a whole thread about it

2. dunno, why do paffett and kerr have non? but where should enge go? f3000 ? a fifth year wouldn´t help him, no cockpits in f1, maybe not enough budget for cart? well who knows

3. well he´s fast, but he always crashed a lot, he wasn´t very consistent neither in f3000 nor in f3, but mostly fast...
Old 1 May 2003, 16:47 (Ref:586425)   #3
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I agree with Formula3 on all three points (how boring of me). There are better drivers who are out of work, but he should've kept the title - his private life is his private life, and smoking pot harms no one but yourself (and even that's debatable)
Old 2 May 2003, 01:10 (Ref:586897)   #4
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
They know the rules, if they break the rules they should not be surprised at the consequences.... it was sad that Enge lost the title in those circumstances.

The Al Unser Jr case is similar but more frightening, with the alleged cocaine, alcohol and pot abuse for many seasons.... how he didnt get caught by a drugs test I will never know
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 2 May 2003, 01:45 (Ref:586904)   #5
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
1) Abslolutely fair.

2) Who knows. It's happened to plenty of talented drivers. I suspect that last year's incident has done him quite a bit of damage in the job prospect department.

3) He's good. No Kimi or Alonso, but pretty good. I believe the best open-wheel drivers are in F1, and the next level is ChampCars. I reckon, on talent alone, Enge should slot into a middle to lower-middle ChampCar team.
Old 2 May 2003, 09:13 (Ref:587064)   #6
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Logrence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rules are rules - and it's not about gaining an advantage. The rule is there for the protection of the other drivers. If you have drugs in your system they affect your judgement, your reaction times and your ability to think clearly. In a racing situation that can be lethal.

If the rules say that he shouldn't have been smoking cannabis, then sure - he should have been excluded.

People at the top level of any sport set an example for other folks everywhere - what they do out of the public eyeis their business, but they should let things like that interfere with setting a good example to the public.
Old 2 May 2003, 10:45 (Ref:587150)   #7
Don K
Veteran

Don K has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally posted by Logrence
Rules are rules - and it's not about gaining an advantage. The rule is there for the protection of the other drivers. If you have drugs in your system they affect your judgement, your reaction times and your ability to think clearly. In a racing situation that can be lethal.

If the rules say that he shouldn't have been smoking cannabis, then sure - he should have been excluded.

People at the top level of any sport set an example for other folks everywhere - what they do out of the public eyeis their business, but they should let things like that interfere with setting a good example to the public.
I would agree with you if there would have been evidence (or a confession) that Enge did smoke cannabis.

I assume the rules say that he is not allowed to have a certain amount of some substance within his system.
The treshold should of course be lower than the amount of the stuff which could affect either his judgement or his fysical ability to drive the car.

If he did smoke cannabis, or ate space cake, or whatever, I think a heavy penalty is quite in order, even if he did it 2 weeks before the actual race.
But in case the substance was given to him without his knowledge, the penalty may be a little bit over the top.

For instance, suppose someone offered him some space cake 10 days before the race. How was he supposed to recognise that it was no ordinary cake?

As long as things like ordinary coffee and some kinds of luxury bread (like "maanzaadbroodjes" -- maw seed rolls?) contain substances which are on the list, I think we cannot judge these matters without having complete knowledge about what has actually happened, and what has actually been tested, and what were the actual results of the tests.