Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 26 Sep 2000, 20:01 (Ref:39470)   #1
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Autosport is reporting that Gabrielle Rumi has sold his majority share in Minardi GP to Argentinian cable television network PSN. This will result in a massive injection of operating capital for the underfunded Italian outfit.
Old 26 Sep 2000, 20:47 (Ref:39484)   #2
Gerard
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Gerard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And PSN being an Argentinian company probably will secure Gaston Mazzacane a drive for next year.
Old 26 Sep 2000, 21:31 (Ref:39495)   #3
Tristan
Veteran

Tristan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Or, with the move of Gené, that leaves room for........

ESTEBAN TUEROHHHHHNOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So long as the team remains more or less integral and is still called minardi, that's cool. Giz the money!!!
Old 26 Sep 2000, 23:04 (Ref:39512)   #4
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Now this is own deal I thought had dissolved months ago.

Well good for Minardi. If Brunner can put together another decent package, the Superdreck doesn't fall too far behind, they just might earn some points in 2001.
Old 26 Sep 2000, 23:56 (Ref:39530)   #5
Gerard
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Gerard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If Gene moves to Prost I think next year it will be Fernando Alonso and Gaston Mazzacane for Minardi.
Interesting to see who will be the number 1 driver.
Old 27 Sep 2000, 01:11 (Ref:39532)   #6
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Can a team have two No. 2 drivers?
Old 27 Sep 2000, 07:38 (Ref:39561)   #7
Dino IV
Veteran

MagnetON
NL
Dino IV should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDino IV should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yes they can EERO. Jackie Stewart always was no. 1 driver at his own Ford-backed team the past two years ...

Hmmm, indeed Tristan, don't touch the name!

So Telefonica is out and a TV network is in. Is it an independent company or part of some conglomerate?
Talking about TV networks, is Teleglobo leaving BAR with Zonta?

When there's no Spanish money flowing anymore to Minardi, I guess they won't feature a Spanish driver next year.
Mazza probably stays on. Tuero ran in some national Volkswagen Polo Cup after his F1-stint didn't he?

Fingers crossed for Telefonica pushing Alonso in Alain's arms, the little fella is brilliant. Exactly the type of guy F1 hasn't seen since long, very brave, very agressive, pushing to the max and a great duellist on track. I haven't seen him lose one battle on track this year. Go Alonso!

Where's your inside info, Minardi Fan?
BTW do y'all know what brilliant piece of machinery Minardi brought to the GP's since Monza, never seen in F1 before?
Old 27 Sep 2000, 08:30 (Ref:39567)   #8
angst
Veteran

angst should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Are Telefonica going to share the sponsorship between Prost and Minardi, as secondary sponsors? They obviously have faith in Gene and Alonso and seem to want both in F1. Just a possibility.
Old 27 Sep 2000, 09:27 (Ref:39574)   #9
MichaelC
Veteran

MichaelC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tuero was actually doing OK in the Polo cup thing last time I heard. As he said he'd never race in F1 again, I think he'll be back in a Minardi next season.

I doubt though, that Telefonica would want (or be allowed) to sponsor two teams. Unless they have a different brand to use somehow
Old 27 Sep 2000, 10:00 (Ref:39580)   #10
angst
Veteran

angst should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think there are any rules regarding sponsoring more than one team, and regarding the fact that PSN will probably be wanting more coverage on the cars Telefonica may be of the opinion that getting two drivers in F1 for a little more outlay than one in F1 and one in F3000 by being a secondary sponsor(at least on one car) would possibly be a better option. As Telefonica have gone on record as saying that they will be continuing to support Gene in F1, and they also sponsor Alonso who is on Minardi's books I think there is an argument that this is a possibility.
Old 27 Sep 2000, 14:47 (Ref:39639)   #11
Sparky
Veteran

Sparky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Give us a hint Dino...
Old 27 Sep 2000, 19:06 (Ref:39705)   #12
jc_nl
Racer

Netherlands
Dedemsvaart
jc_nl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I read somewhere (I forgot where, if I can find it I will tell) that PSN is a share holder in Telefonica, or more logicaly, Telefonica is a share holder in PSN. If this is true they wil probalbly both sponsor Minardi next year.
Old 27 Sep 2000, 19:09 (Ref:39706)   #13
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was under the impression Alonso was confirmed as a Minardi driver next year. I second Dino IV's description of him, that guy is just brilliant.

Who will be number 1 driver, Gerard? I think that will be fairly obvious right from the start...
Old 27 Sep 2000, 19:13 (Ref:39707)   #14
jc_nl
Racer

Netherlands
Dedemsvaart
jc_nl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If Sparky starts asking for hints you probably mean the cast Ti gearbox. I would like to have one of those standing in my room, the thing looks realy nice.
Old 28 Sep 2000, 15:06 (Ref:39818)   #15
Dino IV
Veteran

MagnetON
NL
Dino IV should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDino IV should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid

No, not the gearbox, jc_nl ... I prefer a simple pot for my plants

Ok, Sparkster, it has to do something with the wheels and more specific the rims. Rim-revolution at Monza!
Well at least every team sent someone over to have a look at one of the most ingenious and spectacular pieces of machinery around in the paddock.
Old 29 Sep 2000, 12:45 (Ref:39991)   #16
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
Minardi fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Minardi I guess will be sponsored by both Telefonica and PSN next season - Alonso brings more backing from Telefonica than Gene does.

Alonso will be the number 1 driver - the guy is brilliant.

At last, we have the £££££££££££££££££!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 29 Sep 2000, 13:51 (Ref:40016)   #17
kuchi
Veteran

Colombia
Bogota, Colombia
kuchi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think it will be a better season for minardi, or at least i hope so, but as some of you have said the team will have two # 2 drivers, but alonso has the slight edge of becoming nº1.
Old 29 Sep 2000, 16:50 (Ref:40033)   #18
Sparky
Veteran

Heck... He's got me!

Dino, I bow to your ability to find these snippets of tech news!

I can't find ANY reference to a revolutionary Minardi wheel rim.

The only thing I can see might be done with the rim would be to increase its depth, so that (with a little more support) the tyre sidewall would deflect less, and hence allow correct, predictable suspension control and movement.

Sound feasible? The downside? It would be a B*itch getting the tyres on!

If not... Hit me with it!!!

By the way, I was very impressed with the Brunner 'Insight' feature in RaceTech #31, where he confessed to using such things as 'out-of-the-box' Sachs shocks and steel wishbones. He even divulged the fuel tank capacity at slightly less than 140 litres. He mentioned the Ti gearbox that we knew about thanks to Desmo, and the use of the f+r third spring (with only two shocks) and f+r anti roll bars.
And I had no idea that ATR made the Minardi monocoques for them - the same people that made the Audi Le Mans cars.

It must be great to be able to discuss your own teams tech development without a massive viel of secrecy.
Great feature.
Old 29 Sep 2000, 21:45 (Ref:40095)   #19
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Question for kuchi

Well, if you don't take my word for it, you should listen to the highly esteemed Dino IV and Minardi Fan.

My question to you, kuchi, and to other "doubters", is: Have you ever seen Alonso race? If not, then I bet you'll change your mind when you see him.

"Two number two drivers with Alonso having the slight edge of becoming no.1"... just wait and see what happens at Melbourne!
Old 30 Sep 2000, 20:54 (Ref:40227)   #20
Dino IV
Veteran

MagnetON
NL
If Alonso holds this years attitude even Jacques will look pale, old and fainthearted compared to him ...

Oh, great guess, Sparky ... but sorry, not correct.
Some last hints before I'll tell:
1. It has to do with the part that's already visible when the wheel is on.
2. It's been specially developed for wet conditions.
3. It will cost some jobs for sure.
Old 30 Sep 2000, 20:56 (Ref:40228)   #21
Dino IV
Veteran

MagnetON
NL
BTW: 'out-of-the-box' Sachs shocks??? Geez!
Old 30 Sep 2000, 21:39 (Ref:40231)   #22
Sparky
Veteran

Quote:
"...'out-of-the-box' Sachs shocks??? Geez!"
I know. They don't re-valve them, they're NOT adjustable, and they are THE SAME FOR EACH CIRCUIT!!!!

Un-bloody-believable.

By the way, I mentioned Minardi's use of steel wishbones... Has either chassis lost a wheel this season?
I mean by breaking under load, where a regular carbon wishbone would splinter...

Now then... A wheel rim beneficial to wet running...

Visible wheel rim? That's what I meant by extended rim - a deeper rim bead (the part that retains the tyre), so as to support the sidewall and reduces flex to control tyre deformation under load. No!?

If it's not this, I dunno.

You don't mean the wheel centre do you?

How about a 'J' section rim, to control water spray? The cup of the 'J' faces the track, to scoop the water away fro... Or how about... What if... Huh...

I give up!
Old 1 Oct 2000, 12:51 (Ref:40353)   #23
Dino IV
Veteran

MagnetON
NL
Great thinking, Sparky!
Your innovative open mindedness is brilliant!
Chapeau bas!
One day when I win that lottery, I will ask you to built me a supercar.

Well, here it goes.
Actually I said that everyone came down to their pits to have a look at this brilliant piece of machinery; it is about rims; used with the tires on; for wet conditions and it might cost jobs ... so it's a:

... rim washing machine!

All rims are washed by hand. Some fella washes them after each session just like most of us do.
Minardi clearly wanted to cut costs and not pay a bloke for the whole weekend or gain time for the mecanics not to be bothered with it, so they designed a rim washer! It kinda looks like the machine they balance the tires on, so it rotates, with a hood on it and is being washed. Simple but unseen before so all the teams came down to have a look and I guess, by next season everyone will use them.

Non adjustable?
No re-valve?
The same on every track?
WOW! His suspension configuration must allow this probably, so changing aero loads and bumpy-ness won't affect them.
Cool runnings, Brunner!