Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Motorsport Art & Photography

Old 26 Nov 2003, 17:08 (Ref:795250)   #126
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
For me likewise, I've only just gone digital and I still have an awful lot of photos to scan.....
Old 27 Nov 2003, 18:23 (Ref:796293)   #127
bernard b
Veteran

European Union
France
bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!
nice to hear you finally turned to DSLR, Ayse!
did you notice your 300mm has become a 480 mm? (and suddenly, fences disappear ... )

as a Canon user myself (D30), can I advise you considering giving up Canon software bundled with your camera ? There are many other software available (freeware - shareware) doing a better job.
Have a look at http://www.breezesys.com/

did you manage to get your card reader work properly ? it probably needs to have a card inside to be recognised by XP as an external hard drive and appear in the control panel

and I also think that you should have a look at those kind of 'digital wallet'. It's very useful, you'll find yourself completely unlimited for shooting
Old 28 Nov 2003, 15:18 (Ref:797185)   #128
gi_gav
Veteran

Scotland
gi_gav should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgi_gav should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
B*GGER!! Just saw a 10D listed on Jessops' second hand stock. Phoned up the store and apparently it went yesterday morning, to a guy who saw it come in and took it straight away!! it was in the store for less than 10 minutes...

Maybe next time!
Old 3 Dec 2003, 21:00 (Ref:803034)   #129
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I see that Nikon are bring out a camara to rival the Canon 300D - it's the D70 and it out in the new year.
Old 3 Dec 2003, 22:00 (Ref:803094)   #130
gi_gav
Veteran

Scotland
gi_gav should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgi_gav should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Here it is, nabbed from nikon.co.uk

Looks rather nice, i wonder if they'll be able to undercut the canon, or whether they'll increase the spec to give themselves an edge.
Attached Images

Old 4 Dec 2003, 01:17 (Ref:803240)   #131
BAR Babe
Racer

BAR Babe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ok, admission time. the nikon that redshoes talks of on page one that spends more of its time at nikon with its technician is a D1x and mine. Its shutter has broken once and dear nikon have had it back to fix it no less than 4 (or is it 5 - i seriously have lost count) times. it now however on its last effort, on threatening to spit the dummy to the MD - which in fairness i probably should have done on time 3.... has managed to hold together.... SO FAR... (YES REDSHOES, don't hold your breath love!!) anyway. thats not my point. the camera is itself, Good. well, it ought to be in that bracket price range lets face it. i find certain niggles like the maximum shots on constant being... 9.... oh please.... i'm standing shooting an accident COUNTING!!!! i always run out when it wants to write and if there are 2 accidents in a row i just haven't got a hope. i know the old D1 takes 20 before needing to write. oh am i jealous.... however saying that if we take a look at the D100 you only have to be able to count to 6. i had to use the D100 when my D1x was in the dock one time. i found it slow, unpredictable and had a lag that rivaled my friends point and shoot (no offence to point and shooters - they do the job they are meant to do and lag gets less on them every day and to be fair some days i REALLY find myself wishing i had one!!). so, i was standing on the inside of the first corner at snetterton, a bit fast a shot to take you might say, but i REALLY did not expect this at all from this piece of equipment. the shots i did get were of good quality, clear and very sharp, colour could not be faulted and needed no touching up what so ever. That, however did not make up for the disapointment i felt in this camera. Yes, its light, yep, its smaller and the cheaper of the Nikon SLR's but there is no way on this earth that i would swap my slightly defunct (but now alot better) D1x with the D100. my D1x is sturdy, ok, heavy with a lens on, but does its job. I would like to point out that i have not been near a d2h and that is one thing that does prick my interest up. At this point i would say i would love to try it and see what it could actually do compared to the d1X and what results it had. ........ something that was not that much more expensive than the D100, whilst the d1X still sits at the (what my wallet still deams as) horrific price it did nearly, what 3 years ago when it came out. So the next time someone (probably you redshoes) hears me shout at the top of my voice at a circuit near you.... i love Cannon that means my lovely D1x has decided it wants to return to its technician for yet another time in the ever thickening book of service history this camera is getting at Kingston. - NIGHTMARE!!! but unless the lottery came into it, there isn't much that would induce me to swap from Nikon. - Redshoes please remind me of this when it goes wrong again. ! ;-)
Old 4 Dec 2003, 01:18 (Ref:803241)   #132
BAR Babe
Racer

oh sorry that has no breaks my return key has broken!!! Me and electrical equipment hey?!?!!
Old 4 Dec 2003, 12:25 (Ref:803621)   #133
gi_gav
Veteran

Scotland
Has anybody here used both the D30 and the 10D?

For the same amount of money, what would you choose between a 10D (body only), or a D30 with Canon 300mm f4 L, 70-200 f4 L, and a Canon 1.4 convertor.

Current lens that i use for motorsport is a 75-300 f4-5.6 USM Mk3, which seems pretty sharp, but would be nice if it were a little faster in terms of aperture.

This decision obviously involves trading off camera quality against lens quality.

Incidentally, this would be for shooting for websites, competitors and in print (with any luck), with trackside access.

Any responses would be much appreciated!!
Old 4 Dec 2003, 13:43 (Ref:803717)   #134
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
With a rant like that it's no surprise the return key has broken. I'm amazed you have any keyboard left.

You forgot to mention the multi-direction control button on the rear that as I recall fell off at some point during the year.
Old 4 Dec 2003, 18:28 (Ref:803978)   #135
djb
Veteran

djb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
BarBabe, sounds like you got a lemon, or you're tough as nails on your equipment, I know lots of friends who shoot D1x's and I've never heard of such bad luck.....
Old 4 Dec 2003, 23:49 (Ref:804254)   #136
BAR Babe
Racer

Oooh, Redshoes, i forgot about that too.... i believe you were there to winess my choice words about my LEMON of a camera when to our eyes i picked up my camera out of my bag to find my camera in my hand and the selector button from the back rolling down the pitlane, just before a BTCC qualifying session... Believe me i am NOT tough on my equipment - after a year and a half it hardly has a scratch - and thats not because its been back to Nikon so much before someone makes that joke !!! But there we go. and djb, unfortunately i've GOT the lemon. However i think the problem started when nikon began using the sentence "No, there is nothing wrong with your camera" when it was still shooting black frames. just cause there lovely hi tech computer said it didn't have a problem it couldn't have one and i was slightly deranged and making it up. - yes they did incinuate that on time 4.... much to my amusement..... NOT.

Last edited by BAR Babe; 4 Dec 2003 at 23:55.
Old 4 Dec 2003, 23:53 (Ref:804259)   #137
BAR Babe
Racer

sorry about the rant by the way, Redshoes will confirm i normally do it out loud to known people only and have held it off my keyboard as long as i can.... its just a shame my keyboard is broken right this second!! must say three cheers to Reds to put up with some of my moaning over the past months. i still like the camera though, now i'm gradually building confidence in it again. fingers crossed hey!!
Old 6 Dec 2003, 05:43 (Ref:805362)   #138
djb
Veteran

djb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I understand, I seem to have a lemon of a laptop (thank goodness for warranties and that I got the extended one too) The D1x is a great camera, just too darn heavy.
Old 6 Dec 2003, 12:38 (Ref:805475)   #139
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
...and those of us with baby hands can't carry the damn thing either!

the only difference i see between the d1x and the d100 is the autofocus really. otherwise most of the "pro" settings are a bit useless really. nothing you can't create by knowing how to use a camera anyway.
Old 6 Dec 2003, 21:59 (Ref:805747)   #140
BAR Babe
Racer

Dont't mean to be rude bels but you need experience in the field with them both before you can REALLY say something like that. .......... autofocus i didn't find the problem, but that was just my personal opinion. As to anything though even the lowest of the low cameras, if you know how to use it and you use it creatively you can get even better results. however, i hardly think thats the point here, when the accident is happening or a drivers smacking another in front of you, you can't REALLY ask them to "just hang on my cameras a bit slow on the uptake.. i'll be with you in a mo, i'm sure you'l make it into the papers boys...." i have a feeling those fist might be turned on me!! oh, DJB, i do know what a return key is, the laptops a lemon too !!! i'm giving up.....
Old 8 Dec 2003, 04:17 (Ref:806386)   #141
djb
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by BAR Babe
[ oh, DJB, i do know what a return key is, the laptops a lemon too !!! i'm giving up..... [/B]
well then young lady, all I can say is good luck and hope there's some warranty left on it as well......
Old 8 Dec 2003, 20:04 (Ref:806917)   #142
BAR Babe
Racer

Don't think i'll be so lucky on the computer side of things..... :-(
Old 13 Dec 2003, 18:08 (Ref:811071)   #143
gi_gav
Veteran

Scotland
Just got back home with a shiny new Eos 10D

Ayse, fancy comparing notes at some point in mid-June?
Old 14 Dec 2003, 13:03 (Ref:811577)   #144
calcium
Racer

calcium should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm SO jealous, hey gi_gav where did you get it from? It's just that I'm from your neck of the woods and I REALLY want an EOS 10D before the racing season starts again. Ta.
Old 14 Dec 2003, 17:55 (Ref:811706)   #145
sss
Veteran

England
life is to short, dance naked
sss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
go on how much and where, was the dealer any good?
Old 14 Dec 2003, 17:58 (Ref:811707)   #146
calcium
Racer

calcium should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah, come on...tell.
Old 14 Dec 2003, 21:07 (Ref:811783)   #147
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by gi_gav

Ayse, fancy comparing notes at some point in mid-June?

Definitely!

But did you get a better deal than me.....?
Old 16 Dec 2003, 19:25 (Ref:813337)   #148
gi_gav
Veteran

Scotland
The dealer was Jessops in Lancaster, and i'd be inclined to say that they're good, given that I work Saturdays there! (seriously, for all that Jessops stores vary, Lancaster really is one of the better ones, as far as deals go)

The reason i got it so soon was that someone had ordered one in and not taken it, and was due to be tranfered out the next day - so, in the immortal words of Maverick in Top Gun, "i had the chance, so i took it"!

Deal for me was to match unbeatable.co.uk, hence £1099 and i got a free 128MB card while i save up for the ones I'm aiming at - a pair of 512 Sandisk Ultra II's.

Immediately feels better than the 300D i briefly had - while I'm sure that the 300d produces results of a similar quality, its the process of getting them and the flexibility that the 10d offers that makes it worth the extra.

Happy as a pig in the proverbial!
Old 16 Dec 2003, 19:47 (Ref:813365)   #149
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Good deal.