Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Motorsport Art & Photography

Old 17 Sep 2007, 22:27 (Ref:2016283)   #1
minimangler
Veteran

Wales
Leftfield, somewhere.
minimangler should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Competition?

I must admit I've been itching to find out how good the pictures i take are, especially compared to other people's. I'm fairly sure I'm not the only one, so why not have a "friendly" photo competition on ten-tenths?

have a "Pros" and an "Ams" section (we don't want the pros to get an unfair advantage) and let pros judge the ams and vice versa.

For the winner, it'd be nice to say "I was ten tenths Am/Pro photographer of 2007", wouldn't it?

So each entrant enters say 5 images, and they are judged on nothing more than how good they are?

Just an idea...

Jake.
Old 17 Sep 2007, 22:51 (Ref:2016297)   #2
MikeHoyer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northampton, UK
MikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Sounds like an interesting idea, I could organise something.
Old 18 Sep 2007, 00:44 (Ref:2016354)   #3
Robin_D
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Warwickshire, UK
Robin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRobin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRobin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
How about you enter 2 images each? 5 is a few too many and I never get the chance to go out with my cammy!
Old 18 Sep 2007, 07:46 (Ref:2016486)   #4
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
We did used to have the odd 'best picture taken at event X' thread, usually whenever something big like Champ Car or FIA GT was in town. The forum has the ability to add polls so if Mike and his fellow mods can decide a shortlist we could get the members to vote themselves. Have one thread to post entries then Mike can post the shortlist with poll into a voting thread.

I agree with 5 being too many. It amazes me how many photographers don't seem to be able to count - the 'Best Photo You've Ever Taken' thread quickly went from being the one best ever to 'here's a dozen pics I've taken this week'.

If Mike doesn't mind doing the work we could make this a monthly thing.
Old 18 Sep 2007, 22:49 (Ref:2017488)   #5
JurekB
Racer

Poland
Stoke on Trent
JurekB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sounds good, I'll have a go at that and I'd agree that 5 pictures is probably too much. A maximum of 2 should be more than enough.
Old 18 Sep 2007, 23:12 (Ref:2017491)   #6
Alan
Racer

United Kingdom
Rotherham, South Yorkshire, UK
Alan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great idea and I agree two images max would be enough. Not sure how you would define pros and ams tho'.
Old 19 Sep 2007, 07:37 (Ref:2017632)   #7
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Not an accurate definition by any means but I would take pro/am to be with/without media accreditation.
Old 19 Sep 2007, 16:13 (Ref:2018071)   #8
David L
Racer

United Kingdom
Lancashire, UK
David L should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JurekB
Sounds good, I'll have a go at that and I'd agree that 5 pictures is probably too much. A maximum of 2 should be more than enough.
Actually, if this is to be a "photographer of the year" contest, as opposed to a "photo of the year" contest, you'd want to see and judge on a representative selection from the year, demonstrating variety and a consistent quality..

Digi cams and lenses are such these days that it's hard to take a bad picture from a technical point of view (exposure, focus etc).. and we can all get lucky now and again with something arty.. (think of it this way.. any of us who have gone horse racing get lucky now and again on the betting.. how many of us can truly say our lucky wins are more than luck..?)

What I'd want to see from competitors is a consistent quality, over a number of events, even when the chips are down.. "Quality", in my eyes, is being able to produce something and (if you are working to a brief, fulfil that brief) even on those days when the chips are down, life is stacked against you, you just left half your lenses and your computer's power supply at home, etc, and magic just will not come..

..and so I suggest the competition be judged on a gallery of, say, 36 shots from anybody wanting to enter.. It seems to me there are plenty of free ways to uploaded pictures using a server/website/whatever.. Links can be posted here..

Just my thoughts..
Old 19 Sep 2007, 16:21 (Ref:2018076)   #9
MikeHoyer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northampton, UK
MikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Or maybe a certain theme each month or something like that. It's fairly easy for anyone, with a bit of practice to get the same shot of a car going round a corner, so something that's open to interpretation might be better.
Old 19 Sep 2007, 17:09 (Ref:2018112)   #10
David L
Racer

United Kingdom
Lancashire, UK
David L should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHoyer
Or maybe a certain theme each month or something like that. It's fairly easy for anyone, with a bit of practice to get the same shot of a car going round a corner, so something that's open to interpretation might be better.
Pic of the month, maybe, but JT will require payment for your nicking of that that idea..

Who said anything about posting he same shot over and over..? Nope, for photog of the year, I'd like to see a critical selection.. I think that gives plenty of scope for interpretation..
Old 19 Sep 2007, 18:39 (Ref:2018162)   #11
RaptorUK
Rookie

United Kingdom
Birmingham, UK
RaptorUK has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!

Could do something like this . . .

http://www.sxoc.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=308979
Old 19 Sep 2007, 19:30 (Ref:2018213)   #12
gungadan
Racer

United Kingdom
Nottingham
gungadan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by David L
Digi cams and lenses are such these days that it's hard to take a bad picture from a technical point of view (exposure, focus etc)..
I seem to manage it often enough. I must be special!
Old 19 Sep 2007, 19:37 (Ref:2018216)   #13
redshoes
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by David L
and we can all get lucky now and again with something arty..
But is it art or is it..... no wait, that was another thread

Although Jake did say "photographer", I think as David has pointed out this is more like "photo" of the month/year. Nothing wrong with a full scale photographer of the year contest, but that sounds like a lot of work to organise. I assumed would be more of an informal 'friendly' contest.
Old 19 Sep 2007, 21:07 (Ref:2018287)   #14
minimangler
Veteran

Wales
Leftfield, somewhere.
minimangler should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
wow! this has exploded
never realised it would be this complicated
how about photo of the month each month and photographer of the year at the end of the year, similar to how it is done in digital photo magazine.

five would be the optimum number as it is not too many for the average photographer to organise and any competent photographer should be able to take far more than this over just one race weekend, if they are truely photographer of the year.
Old 19 Sep 2007, 22:09 (Ref:2018341)   #15
fraggs
Racer

England
Bedford, UK
fraggs should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes
Not an accurate definition by any means but I would take pro/am to be with/without media accreditation.
I'm an am though thats getting the odd accreditation....
Old 20 Sep 2007, 03:24 (Ref:2018436)   #16
Hubble
Veteran

England
Bishops Stortford, Herts
Hubble should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHubble should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by minimangler
wow! this has exploded
never realised it would be this complicated
how about photo of the month each month and photographer of the year at the end of the year, similar to how it is done in digital photo magazine.

five would be the optimum number as it is not too many for the average photographer to organise and any competent photographer should be able to take far more than this over just one race weekend, if they are truely photographer of the year.
2 would be even less to organise........I think we have enough threads where people endlessly post images from every event they turn up to - if it's a competition, it should be more selective. Pick your best 2 and roll the dice....
Old 20 Sep 2007, 07:42 (Ref:2018523)   #17
redshoes
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by fraggs
I'm an am though thats getting the odd accreditation....
As I have on many occasions in the past, as indeed have a number of people here. I realise that accredited does not equal professional, but there's a good reason for making that distinction.

If you take 'pro' as meaning anyone who makes a living, or at least a substantial part of their income, from photography then that's a very small group of people.

Having accreditation does not make you a better photographer or mean that you take better photos but it does make things easier and give you more opportunities. You as an accredited trackside photographer can easily take a picture that I as a paying spectator couldn't hope to match. Not because I lack the ability or because you are a better photographer, but simply because I physically can't get where I need to be to take that photo. That to me is no longer a fair test of skill.

Obviously not every picture you take is trackside. For me a simply test would be - could you take that picture if you were a paying spectator? If the answer to that is 'no' then that goes in the pro category.

Let me throw the question back at you. If you are good enough to get accreditation, why do you feel being compared as a pro is unfair?
Old 20 Sep 2007, 09:33 (Ref:2018603)   #18
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes
If you are good enough to get accreditation, why do you feel being compared as a pro is unfair?
Getting accreditation isn't always a question of being good enough - sometimes it's a case of "who you know".

(I'm not having a pop at you there fraggs )
Old 20 Sep 2007, 10:47 (Ref:2018778)   #19
Robin_D
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Warwickshire, UK
Robin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRobin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRobin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I have never even taken shots at a circuit as I marshal. Can I enter other work?

I don't even own my own camera. Now that is Am
Old 20 Sep 2007, 11:44 (Ref:2018814)   #20
redshoes
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2
Getting accreditation isn't always a question of being good enough - sometimes it's a case of "who you know".
I'm very aware of that, although I think you shouldn't even be considering applying for accreditation unless you consider your work good enough. Generally speaking accreditation is for people whose work is going to be published, which implies a level of quality.

Maybe I'll re-phrase the question. If you consider yourself good enough to warrant accreditation, why do you feel being compared as a pro is unfair?
Old 20 Sep 2007, 14:06 (Ref:2018930)   #21
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
wouldn't it be easier to have a accredited trackside/spectator distinction rather than pro/am, defined on where the photo was taken rather than whether the photographer receives money for the work? i know this means that people like mike can skank into the spectator category, but if you're hellbent on a distinction then that's where it should be surely?
Old 20 Sep 2007, 14:13 (Ref:2018934)   #22
Hubble
Veteran

England
Bishops Stortford, Herts
Hubble should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHubble should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pro - Am? It's all irrelevant to me really....I've seen plenty of superb, creative amateur work, and plenty of pro stuff I wouldn't put my cats' name to. Whilst those with accreditation do have the advantage of a higher number of viewpoints, with a little ingenuity it is possible to create something special from the spectator areas. Many pros shoot from spectator areas too, sometimes it's just where you need to be......

Perhaps when we submit our 2 best images we could indicate whether they were taken inside the fences, or in spectator areas....this could then be taken into account when judging. Marks could be allocated for composition, exposure, subject etc, and circumstances.

Just a thought....
Old 20 Sep 2007, 15:11 (Ref:2018990)   #23
MikeHoyer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northampton, UK
Sounds about right. Anyway, as I said it should be more than just about on track stuff - generally anyone can get into the paddocks etc., so photos from these areas should be considered too. Generally I find these more interesting anyway, there's only so many places you can shoot trackside, and I've seen it all before

How about a mini competition to see if it works this weekend. I guess a few of us will be at the WTCC?
Old 20 Sep 2007, 16:28 (Ref:2019047)   #24
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
Mike, how about a more general thing to kick off?
Wheels, or wings, or lights? A subject any of us should have just toget things off the ground?
That way, the winner as voted gets to pick the next subject?

WTCC is a tad restricting, not everyone is going after all...
Old 20 Sep 2007, 18:03 (Ref:2019125)   #25
Hubble
Veteran

England
Bishops Stortford, Herts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHoyer
I guess a few of us will be at the WTCC?
I'll be there Mike, it would be good to catch up with you again