Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Motorsport Art & Photography

Old 25 Sep 2007, 22:15 (Ref:2023020)   #51
RaptorUK
Rookie

United Kingdom
Birmingham, UK
RaptorUK has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHoyer
That would defeat the object of a motorsport forum though.
but doesn't defeat the object of a photography forum . . .

Quote:
It's just a bit of fun really, if we waited til everybody was at one event we'd be waiting for ever!
It will be a bit of a farce if you only have one entry though . . . the more entries the better.

Quote:
Time the photo was taken can be determined from the IPTC data.
So you are excluding people who shoot film and then scan ? Exif data can easily be edited . . . in reality you have to have a ittle bit of trust.
Old 25 Sep 2007, 23:11 (Ref:2023054)   #52
Alan
Racer

United Kingdom
Rotherham, South Yorkshire, UK
Alan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffacus
I think on a monthly basis is best. Either a picture taken in that month or just a chosen topic, I'm not sure?

Post processing, maybe a crop and colour correction?

Send them to an admin, then we vote. Keep it anonymous?

Or something along those lines! Just give it a go and see what happens???
I agree, although a chosen topic seems the least complicated option, that way theres no time period to consider. It has to be simple, fun and appeal to as broad a spectrum as possible. I think that it should be possible to win with a compact camera.
Old 25 Sep 2007, 23:37 (Ref:2023071)   #53
gungadan
Racer

United Kingdom
Nottingham
gungadan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan
I agree, although a chosen topic seems the least complicated option, that way theres no time period to consider. It has to be simple, fun and appeal to as broad a spectrum as possible. I think that it should be possible to win with a compact camera.
Agreed. The topics should be, not ambiguous exactly, but such that they allow for some creative thinking. This would help those who don't have trackside access and will hopefully mean we get a good variety of shots.

Maybe next year the topics could be decided in advance. A bit like the POTY competitions in the photo mags.
Old 26 Sep 2007, 09:00 (Ref:2023278)   #54
Snapperjack
Racer

Snapperjack should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaptorUK
but doesn't defeat the object of a photography forum . . .
True but this is not a general photography forum

Quote:
It will be a bit of a farce if you only have one entry though . . . the more entries the better.
If the entries drop the competition will just fizzle out and become a thing of the past.

Quote:
So you are excluding people who shoot film and then scan ? Exif data can easily be edited . . . in reality you have to have a ittle bit of trust.
People just say when the photo was taken when they enter. Beit scans or digital.

As for repeat entries, you dont have to vote for it unless you want to.
Old 26 Sep 2007, 10:20 (Ref:2023344)   #55
zac510
Veteran

zac510 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
b
That's the complete opposite reason to why you poo-pooed my idea! Make up your mind - or will we never please you?

I think my proposal will be more appropriate to the semi-amateur (characterised as an SLR owner minimum) and by nature means a casual shooter would have difficulty competing.
However a single photo comp is more appropriate for the casual shooter who might only have a P&S.

The casual and informal nature of the ten-tenths forum means the latter is probably better, although I'd prefer to compete in for semi-amateur comp myself
Old 26 Sep 2007, 11:20 (Ref:2023447)   #56
Snapperjack
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zac510
That's the complete opposite reason to why you poo-pooed my idea! Make up your mind - or will we never please you?
He means the number of people entering competition not the number of photo entries per individual.
Old 26 Sep 2007, 11:30 (Ref:2023468)   #57
stefan
Racer

United Kingdom
nr bristol, uk
stefan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridstefan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Here's a few theme suggestions...

panning
pits
black and white
detail shot
arty (allow more post prod for this one)
people (pit crew, drivers, marshalls, spectators etc)
crash?
comedy?

I don't know if it's a good idea to split up the different types, eg...

rally
endurance
single seater

Not so keen on the date idea as I don't get out very often - and it'll mean not much happens over the winter.
Old 26 Sep 2007, 12:05 (Ref:2023501)   #58
Snapperjack
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan
Here's a few theme suggestions...

panning
pits
black and white
detail shot
arty (allow more post prod for this one)
people (pit crew, drivers, marshalls, spectators etc)
crash?
comedy?

I don't know if it's a good idea to split up the different types, eg...

rally
endurance
single seater

Not so keen on the date idea as I don't get out very often - and it'll mean not much happens over the winter.
That would appear more restrictive than a time limit. The time limit could be a rolling 12 months. I thought it was to be as simple as possible.
Old 26 Sep 2007, 12:22 (Ref:2023511)   #59
timtime
Rookie

timtime should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am on other non motorsport forums where they have a monthly competition and the rules are dead simple.

EG The September competition is for photos taken between the 1st and 30th September, basic colour correction and cropping are all that is allowed. Voting is done by a poll where you are only allowed one vote but you can change it for a period of seven days and the winner each month is used as the home page on the forum website.

All entries are sent to and uploaded by one of the moderators with none of the images being identifiable, the only difference on this forum would be that they would probably have been posted in one of the threads along the way. I suppose a rule could be that phots could have been previously linked too but not actually displayed in the forum itself.

Some people worry about not being able to get out each month well its not imperative to enter each month surely. If anyone is able to generate a bit of sponsorship there could always be a separate photo of the year competition, or self fund it by people paying to enter but that would probably kill it before it was even born.

Tim
Old 26 Sep 2007, 12:25 (Ref:2023514)   #60
stefan
Racer

United Kingdom
nr bristol, uk
stefan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridstefan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Do you mean having a theme is restrictive? I think it makes it easier to judge. It's easier to pick the best panning shot (and everybody's got one of those) - than to try and judge an excellent panning shot against an equally excellent arty shot - they're two completely different things. It all becomes much more subjective - perhaps more people like a panning shot than an arty shot - but it doesn't mean that the arty shot isn't good. Still, I'm easy - so long as we get somewhere with it.

How about a competition to see how long it can take a bunch of photographers to organise a simple photo comp?
Old 26 Sep 2007, 12:31 (Ref:2023515)   #61
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Ten-Tenths will be announcing an official "Photo Of The Year 2007" competition shortly.

If this is a success we may consider expanding it into a monthly contest for 2008 with an overall prize at the end of the year.
Old 26 Sep 2007, 12:45 (Ref:2023527)   #62
timtime
Rookie

timtime should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan
How about a competition to see how long it can take a bunch of photographers to organise a simple photo comp?
and excellent news about the competition.
Old 26 Sep 2007, 13:40 (Ref:2023566)   #63
LYNX
Veteran

England
Hampshire
LYNX should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is it now decided that everyone is treated the same and is judged purely on the photo, not the experience/occupation of the shooter? That will definitely be simpler to police and should stop protests as to am/pro status!
Old 26 Sep 2007, 13:55 (Ref:2023577)   #64
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by LYNX
Is it now decided that everyone is treated the same and is judged purely on the photo, not the experience/occupation of the shooter? That will definitely be simpler to police and should stop protests as to am/pro status!
At the moment we are looking at:
  • The competition is open to all registered users of Ten-Tenths Motorsport Forum.
  • There is one "class", with no distinction between pro/am photographers.
  • Each user may submit a maximum of two motorsport related photographs for judging.
  • Photographs to be submitted by 30th November 2007.
  • Photographs will be presented anonymously and in random order.
  • Voting will start on 1st December and will finish at midnight FORUM TIME on 31st December.
  • Photograph with the most votes will be named Photo Of The Year and will win a prize.
  • In the event of a tie, the photograph with the most staff votes will win, if this is still a tie then the site owners will decide on the winner.
  • All photographs must be taken by the entrant.
  • By submitting your photograph you agree to allow Ten-Tenths to use the image for future promotion of the competition and/or site, including possible commercial/calendar use.
  • Photographs must be submitted in a high resolution format (at least 1024x768)
  • Post-processing and "photoshopping" are permitted.

Further details including how to submit, as well as a global announcement of the competition will be announced.

Prize will be the adulation of your peers for winning, 1 year "subscriber" membership of Ten-Tenths and also a nice engraved crystal trophy for the shelf.
Old 26 Sep 2007, 14:47 (Ref:2023623)   #65
zac510
Veteran

zac510 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
aah a bit of autocratic management.. feels good
Old 26 Sep 2007, 14:50 (Ref:2023628)   #66
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
Oh, I forgot to add
  • There is no age limit on the submitted photograph, it doesn't have to be taken in 2007 to be considered.
Old 26 Sep 2007, 15:00 (Ref:2023641)   #67
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
Quote:
Originally Posted by zac510
aah a bit of autocratic management.. feels good
I prefer the term "benevolent dictatorship" myself although Ten-Tenths is actually a democracy, it's one person, one vote.*

*At the moment the one person is EvilPumpkin, she has the one vote!
Old 26 Sep 2007, 15:55 (Ref:2023681)   #68
Duffacus
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nottingham, UK
Duffacus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ah sounds brilliant! I'll keep an eye out for the further announcements!

Brundle: Didn’t see too many in practice
Old 26 Sep 2007, 17:06 (Ref:2023717)   #69
stefan
Racer

United Kingdom
nr bristol, uk
That all seems to make sense - great! - I take back my comments about the dithering and stuff
Old 26 Sep 2007, 17:15 (Ref:2023723)   #70
Hubble
Veteran

England
Bishops Stortford, Herts
Hubble should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHubble should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well done Magneton!! Thank you for getting the ball rolling on this one
Old 26 Sep 2007, 20:07 (Ref:2023830)   #71
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hubble
Well done Magneton!! Thank you for getting the ball rolling on this one
It was you guys that got the ball rolling, I just had to stick it in the goal!
Old 26 Sep 2007, 20:52 (Ref:2023874)   #72
gungadan
Racer

United Kingdom
Nottingham
gungadan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnetON
At the moment we are looking at:
  • By submitting your photograph you agree to allow Ten-Tenths to use the image for future promotion of the competition and/or site, including possible commercial/calendar use.
Sounds good on the whole but I'm not wildly enthusiastic about this. Promotion of the site is one thing, commercial use is another.

Apart from it being open-ended, what about the IP ownership issues everybody goes on about relating to photos taken at circuits, and the agreements that might be in place.
Old 26 Sep 2007, 22:05 (Ref:2023917)   #73
RaptorUK
Rookie

United Kingdom
Birmingham, UK
RaptorUK has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnetON
It was you guys that got the ball rolling, I just had to stick it in the goal!
This doesn't prevent this sub forum from having it's own monthly (or whatever is decided) competition . . .
Old 27 Sep 2007, 06:49 (Ref:2024080)   #74
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
Quote:
Originally Posted by gungadan
Sounds good on the whole but I'm not wildly enthusiastic about this. Promotion of the site is one thing, commercial use is another.
It's pretty much covering ourselves if we decide to put 13 pics together for a 2008 calendar to sell, or if we decide to do something like a "Best Photo" Mug or beer tankard, that kind of thing.
Old 27 Sep 2007, 06:51 (Ref:2024082)   #75
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
Quote:
This doesn't prevent this sub forum from having it's own monthly (or whatever is decided) competition . . .
There are plans for an official themed monthly contest for 2008 with an overall Photo Of The Year, depending on the response to this one. If you guys also want to run voting on a rotating subject then that's fine but I won't be dishing out prizes!