Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 9 Mar 2010, 10:06 (Ref:2648022)   #1
Christopher
Racer

Australia
Peak Crossing, Queensland.
Christopher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Beware the Hun invasion!/Mercedes (merged)

Thought there would be a thread on this already, and hopefully there's isn't and I just haven't seen it.....

A couple of articles floating around including one @ Carsales, talking about Mercedes running a V8 C Class Ride Car, suggesting they could be fielding a car come 2012. The article went on to suggest other manufactures based on the new modern spec V8 engine rules, possible manufactures include, BMW, Audi, Nissan, Honda and the like. Interesting times ahead.
Old 9 Mar 2010, 11:39 (Ref:2648080)   #2
Rachel Richards
Racer

Wake Island
In a small house by the sea
Rachel Richards should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Beware the Hun invasion !

So, which German Manufacturer will we see first....

Achtung

Seriously, now Fairfax has joined in the third manufacturer fantasy, with drivel like this;
Pitlane and industry sources both here and in Europe have confirmed that Mercedes' performance arm, AMG, is seriously looking at entering the championship.
An announcement could come as soon as the Melbourne Grand Prix at the end of this month.

So at the AGP this year on Sunday the concert features a performance by that band, led by a fine Scottsman Jim Kerr.

Obviously the VESA publicity machine thinks we all have Simple Minds...
Old 9 Mar 2010, 11:54 (Ref:2648086)   #3
STEALTHY
Veteran

Australia
SA - The Custom Plate State
STEALTHY should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Come on Audi!
Old 9 Mar 2010, 11:56 (Ref:2648089)   #4
RS500
Veteran

Australia
Australia
RS500 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Opel
Old 9 Mar 2010, 11:59 (Ref:2648092)   #5
Rachel Richards
Racer

Wake Island
In a small house by the sea
Rachel Richards should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by RS500 View Post
Opel

Touché,

Love your work RS, because, realistically they are as likely to join the series as Merc or BMW!
Old 9 Mar 2010, 12:15 (Ref:2648099)   #6
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel Richards View Post
So, which German Manufacturer will we see first....

Achtung

Seriously, now Fairfax has joined in the third manufacturer fantasy, with drivel like this;
Pitlane and industry sources both here and in Europe have confirmed that Mercedes' performance arm, AMG, is seriously looking at entering the championship.
An announcement could come as soon as the Melbourne Grand Prix at the end of this month.

So at the AGP this year on Sunday the concert features a performance by that band, led by a fine Scottsman Jim Kerr.

Obviously the VESA publicity machine thinks we all have Simple Minds...
Cochrane's attempt to wind up the publicity machine and embarrass the named manufacturers into commenting in the media. He has by doing this put the idea in the minds of the fans and they, by public comment he hopes, will make it impossible for them not to compete. He has used these methods before notably in getting the NSW govt to agree to a street race as it takes a long term view of some years for this method to work. In this case he has changed the rules so they can compete and given himself a few years to convince them that they will lose face if they don't front up at the start grid and he will do his best to make sure this happens. He is a salesman and a salesman will do anything to sell his product. I wonder if he has eyes on DTM and combining both, stranger things have happened.
Old 9 Mar 2010, 13:02 (Ref:2648129)   #7
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Forget Germany, what about Russia, Lada V8 Supercar!
Old 9 Mar 2010, 13:28 (Ref:2648153)   #8
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Not as daft as it sounds. I used to have a 16valve Skoda. There were 8 in the radio...
Old 9 Mar 2010, 13:57 (Ref:2648178)   #9
lookleft
Racer

lookleft should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Having watched the opening round of the WTCC - to be fair - TC's circus is not such bad show...

Paul Morris back in a a BMW - i'd tune in....
Old 9 Mar 2010, 14:08 (Ref:2648188)   #10
RotorFan
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
RotorFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What is this "new modern spec v8 engine"?

Fabrizio Giovanardi: I have like a banana - is the yellow car in front - that make me, you know, running like the monkey, running for the banana. When I see yellow in front, I just pushing harder and harder. I want that banana.
Old 9 Mar 2010, 18:34 (Ref:2648397)   #11
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Do Nissan assemble in Europe? I've been reliably told several times that Nissan will be the 3rd manufacturer.
Old 9 Mar 2010, 19:31 (Ref:2648443)   #12
mildura1963
Racer

Australia
Ex Mildura now in Hamilton NZ
mildura1963 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bring em all on I say, has anyone on here seen both the DTM & V8SC cars in action?
Old 9 Mar 2010, 21:28 (Ref:2648516)   #13
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
About as likely as the Great Man driving a Great Wall in the V8Ute series
Old 9 Mar 2010, 21:51 (Ref:2648534)   #14
GROUPA
Racer

GROUPA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It might appear at the AMG day @ Albert Park Wednesday of GP week or 2 weeks later at the other AMG day @ PI.
Old 9 Mar 2010, 22:36 (Ref:2648568)   #15
F J Nedos
Veteran

Australia
Canberra
F J Nedos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotorFan View Post
What is this "new modern spec v8 engine"?
I haven't heard all that much, but the suggestions are an engine which does not use pushrods and has more than two valves per cylinder.

Also, the possibility of independent rear suspension and a transaxle gear box. All of a sudden, these are sounding like race cars...
Old 9 Mar 2010, 23:09 (Ref:2648588)   #16
RotorFan
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
RotorFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mildura1963 View Post
Bring em all on I say, has anyone on here seen both the DTM & V8SC cars in action?
I've not been to an event, but the races I've watched of DTM (full races, not highlights) have all been boring, although it wasn't always that way.

The cars are cool though, and its good to see the big names race on classic tracks.

Fabrizio Giovanardi: I have like a banana - is the yellow car in front - that make me, you know, running like the monkey, running for the banana. When I see yellow in front, I just pushing harder and harder. I want that banana.
Old 9 Mar 2010, 23:09 (Ref:2648589)   #17
TSR
Veteran

Australia
Sutherland Shire
TSR has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RS500 View Post
Opel
Opel are already running here, they are called Holden Commodores.
2015 V8Supercar Champion #5 PDA Mark Frosty Winterbottom
To Finish First, First you must Finish
Old 9 Mar 2010, 23:31 (Ref:2648600)   #18
TSR
Veteran

Australia
Sutherland Shire
TSR has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Can I just put a speculator up for talk. What if both or either Merc & BMW come into V8 supercars, will our ferlious leader the Wiggle take MORE races overseas to Germany to suck up to the new manufactors coming into the sport.

Than Australia will LOOSE more races to overseas venues????
2015 V8Supercar Champion #5 PDA Mark Frosty Winterbottom
To Finish First, First you must Finish
Old 9 Mar 2010, 23:42 (Ref:2648605)   #19
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
has Fairfax's Bruce Newton replaced that other fellow at News?

"The two companies now only directly support 12 of the 29 cars on the grid."

err...
FPR x3
SBR x3
DJR x3
HRT x2
888 x2
Bundy x2?

does "direct support" technically include parts and panels deals? if so there is even more

doesn't add up...
Old 9 Mar 2010, 23:44 (Ref:2648607)   #20
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by F J Nedos View Post
All of a sudden, these are sounding like race cars...
that will be costing a lot more money...
Old 10 Mar 2010, 01:04 (Ref:2648631)   #21
dsg
Veteran

Thailand
Chonburi
dsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSR View Post
Can I just put a speculator up for talk. What if both or either Merc & BMW come into V8 supercars, will our ferlious leader the Wiggle take MORE races overseas to Germany to suck up to the new manufactors coming into the sport.

Than Australia will LOOSE more races to overseas venues????
What races have we lost to overseas venues?
Old 10 Mar 2010, 01:10 (Ref:2648634)   #22
dsg
Veteran

Thailand
Chonburi
dsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by F J Nedos View Post
I haven't heard all that much, but the suggestions are an engine which does not use pushrods and has more than two valves per cylinder.

Also, the possibility of independent rear suspension and a transaxle gear box. All of a sudden, these are sounding like race cars...
All the latest 1950's touring car technology.
Old 10 Mar 2010, 02:00 (Ref:2648650)   #23
Backagain
Racer

Backagain has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Unfortunately, V8 Supercars is no longer a sport but a business and TC believing it has outgrown the local market is looking to grow it worldwide.
This will mean more overseas manufacturers, more overseas owned teams and more overseas events, less interest for locals. The overseas market base is HUGE, Australia unfortunately will miss out
Old 10 Mar 2010, 02:44 (Ref:2648661)   #24
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
There are only 12 cars with direct financial support from the car manufacturers:
SBR 4&9
DJR 17&18
FPR 5&6
HRT 2&22
888 1&888
PMM 39&51

the rest are said to getbits not bucks
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 10 Mar 2010, 04:24 (Ref:2648675)   #25
billy bigtime
Veteran

Australia
Simon McNamaras egg farm.
billy bigtime has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Don't forget the manufacturers don't have to be directly involved. Once the new rules come into force, ant team that wants to can simply build a car. I'm sure the manufacturer would help out in supplying the bits and pieces at the right price.