Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Motorsport Art & Photography

Closed Thread

Old 20 Aug 2002, 23:20 (Ref:362558)   #1
calcium
Racer

calcium should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Your best photo (one you took yourself!!)

Because the "motorsport photography" thread has had a few pics posted I thought I'd start a thread for:
Your best picture/funny picture/bizarre picture etc.

Of course they have to be of cars/bikes/drivers/riders etc. Please post any info and captions.
Old 21 Aug 2002, 02:54 (Ref:362631)   #2
JR27
Racer

JR27 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, this is not my best one...but I like it. This pic is of Nelson Piquet at Watkins Glen in 1979. If I recall it right.....camera was an Olympus OM2, a 200f4 lens with a 2x converter. Film would have been either High Speed Ektachrome 200 (pushed to 400) or even Ektachrome 400....I'm old and I never kept a written record, 'sigh. Pic was taken as Nelson was going downhill into "the Boot".

Not sure if I remembered how to do this correctly..but here goes.

take care, all

Murph
Attached Thumbnails
img032.jpg  
Old 21 Aug 2002, 03:01 (Ref:362635)   #3
JR27
Racer

Here is another one "from the past". Took this at Montreal in 1984. Pic is of some young hot shot who some believed had the makings of a pretty fair driver. Pic was taken with an Olympus OM2 with a cheap 400f.56 lens AND a cheap 2x converter. Reason for all this lens....shot through 2 fences. Pic was taken at what is now called the Senna esses. Film was (I believe) Ektachrome 400.

take care, all

Murph
Attached Thumbnails
img022.jpg  
Old 21 Aug 2002, 03:09 (Ref:362636)   #4
JR27
Racer

I guess one would call this a "people shot". Took this at the 1986 Detroit GP. "Our Nige" is thinking seriously of wringing the neck of a Mr. A. Senna who has just won the GP. Race officials are attempting to get Senna on the poddium. I would guess that I used the OM2 with the 200f4lens with the 2x converter..film would have been either the 200 Ek. or the 400.

Murph
Attached Thumbnails
img020.jpg  
Old 21 Aug 2002, 03:18 (Ref:362637)   #5
JR27
Racer

This is what is known as a n "at speed" shot. This was taken during the 1977 Canadian GP at Mosport Park. The subject is James Hunt (yes Peter, this one is for you !) who is flying down the Andretti Strait. The camera was an old Cannon with a 200mmf4 lens. Film was Ek. 200. Back in "the good old days" Fuji film was not used because of its major greenish tint. Today..I use Fuji Provia 100 & Provia 400...in the pits (when I'm able to sneak in) I try to use Fuji Velvia...but shoot that at ISO 40...not 50.

Murph
Attached Thumbnails
img029.jpg  
Old 21 Aug 2002, 03:26 (Ref:362638)   #6
JR27
Racer

Though this isn't a great shot...it is one of my favorites because of the composition. Took this pic of St. Gilles in 1980 at Montreal. Pic was taken at the hairpin. OM2 with cheap 400f5.6 lens and a cheap 2x teleconverter. It was a bear to hand-hold....reason I started to lift heavy weights! Shot this through 2 fences at Montreal at ground level. Miss the "good old days"...when us common folk could have access to most of the track even if we were on the "wrong" side of the fence...now everything is "posted".... 'sigh

well that's it....for now

Murph
Attached Thumbnails
img025.jpg  
Old 5 Mar 2003, 00:53 (Ref:525133)   #7
Ian Smith
Racer

England
Tamworth Staff's
Ian Smith should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Being a working pit-marshal I can only use my camera during dinner times and after racing finishes, but I am a Keen amatuer. the camera is a Kodak DC 3200 digital.
Attached Images

Old 5 Mar 2003, 14:09 (Ref:525666)   #8
Mackmot
Veteran

United Kingdom
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Mackmot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

I took that one with bella's camera and Team JLR put it on their site.
Old 8 Mar 2003, 16:45 (Ref:528983)   #9
woodyracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
uk
woodyracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think this is my best track photo, although it does seem a little dark around the edges, could this be from my lens hood ?

it was a long distance shot using ISO 400 film.

Any comments ?
Attached Thumbnails
pickup.jpg  
Old 8 Mar 2003, 19:43 (Ref:529108)   #10
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
more likely it's your scanner? it's a good quality scanned pic that's for sure. you've got the technique
Old 8 Mar 2003, 20:12 (Ref:529133)   #11
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
ok. i narrowed my favourites down to 5....

can't remember which track this is on because i've changed the file name. think it might be from castle combe.
Attached Thumbnails
tt01.jpg  
Old 8 Mar 2003, 20:13 (Ref:529134)   #12
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
this is brands at druids, slightly overexposed and i can't be arsed to change that.
Attached Thumbnails
tt02.jpg  
Old 8 Mar 2003, 20:15 (Ref:529138)   #13
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
the 13th picture i ever took with my camera and it's a pixel perfect panning shot. mark mcloughlin at paddock hill bend, june 03.
Attached Thumbnails
tt03.jpg  
Old 8 Mar 2003, 20:21 (Ref:529145)   #14
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
this had better be a team jva formula renault driven by charles hollings in the winter series 2002...
Attached Thumbnails
tt04.jpg  
Old 8 Mar 2003, 20:34 (Ref:529159)   #15
Carrie
Veteran

Carrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCarrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hmmm, I've been thinking about this and I don't think it's possible to tie it down to a single photo.

Just the one F1 pic that I've chosen and I quite like this because it was taken panning looking through the fencing. So, not only did I have to get the car in the right position, I had to avoid getting the fencing in shot as well. I think panning shots are always a bit of a challenge.
Silverstone F1 testing

Now, one of my favourite places for photos has to be looking towards Lodge at Oulton Park, again, it can be quite a nice challenge because you don't see too much of the cars approaching before they're with you.

Yvan Muller at Lodge

I also quite like the photo I got of Muller after the little coming together with Plato at Silverstone, but haven't got round to finding the link for that photo yet.

Finally, a bit of two wheeled silliness at Knockhill
Phil Bennett at Knockhill

Last edited by Carrie; 8 Mar 2003 at 20:36.
Old 8 Mar 2003, 20:38 (Ref:529161)   #16
Carrie
Veteran

Carrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCarrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Forgot to add, all taken with Pentax MZ5N with Sigma 170-500mm lens. Film Kodak 400.
Old 8 Mar 2003, 22:07 (Ref:529209)   #17
woodyracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
uk
woodyracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by bella
more likely it's your scanner?
the edges of the photo and a some others are a little dark, the scanner just makes it look even worse. Im not sure whats causing it as some photos are fine. Its mostly a problem where the sky was getting darker.

Quote:

it's a good quality scanned pic that's for sure. you've got the technique
thanks
Old 9 Mar 2003, 06:49 (Ref:529710)   #18
*formula3*
Veteran

Germany
*formula3* should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
pedro lamy on the eurospeedway last year, taken with the good old praktika with a 200mm lense..film? canĀ“t remember

and mr toby scheckter, same track, same camera same unknown film

Old 9 Mar 2003, 09:06 (Ref:529786)   #19
jase
Veteran

jase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've had trouble working out which pictures to include, these are mainly from Combe last year, one of the few weekends I had off from marshalling:

The Morgan after it's return from Le Mans
Attached Thumbnails
morgan combe 02.jpg  
Old 9 Mar 2003, 09:10 (Ref:529789)   #20
jase
Veteran

jase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Also can't post multiple images.

Martin Short gets a Champange shower
Attached Thumbnails
dscf0996.jpg  
Old 9 Mar 2003, 09:13 (Ref:529791)   #21
jase
Veteran

And one last one, a timed exposure at night in Grizedale on the Network Q Rally GB.
Attached Thumbnails
grizedale 95.jpg  
Old 10 Mar 2003, 12:10 (Ref:531229)   #22
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
One of my favorites, taken with a manual everything Fujicia SLR
Attached Thumbnails
vipers at lm 1.jpg  
Old 10 Mar 2003, 14:27 (Ref:531422)   #23
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
This is what I consider my best picture. This James Coco at the CMRA Superbike event at Hallet Motor Racing Circuit just outside of Tulsa, OK.

This was shot using Fuji Provia 400F transparency film. It was shot with a Canon Rebel X and a Tamron 80-210mm lens. The settings would have been f5.6 (fast as that lens goes) and probably 1/250th second panning. I also used a UV filter.
Never forget #99
Old 10 Mar 2003, 15:56 (Ref:531552)   #24
mixxer
Veteran

Australia
Somewhere over the rainbow
mixxer has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
here's a few of my Favorite shots First 1 is Ben and Joe Gatt's XB Ford Falcon BB/Gasser at Heathcote Park in Aus
Attached Thumbnails
bb-gas ford falcon.jpg  
Old 10 Mar 2003, 15:59 (Ref:531557)   #25
mixxer
Veteran

Australia
Somewhere over the rainbow
mixxer has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
2nd picture in keeping with the drag racing theme is Archie Robinson burning out in the "Warlord" Nitro Funny Car at Calder Park
Attached Thumbnails
tf vs fc winfield vs warlord (8).jpg