Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Motorsport Art & Photography

Old 10 Nov 2004, 12:28 (Ref:1149411)   #1
jason carter
Rookie

jason carter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Motorsport News Reader's Photograph of the Year Competition

Hello Ten-Tenths photographers...

I thought you would all appreciate early warning of the forthcoming Motorsport News Reader's Photograph of the Year Competition.

We are looking for any motorsport related picture taken this season. It can be action, atmosphere, humourous - anything.

The competition is open to anyone, and the results will be announced (and printed) in the MN Christmas double issue.

We will accept both prints and digital pictures, and will return any prints sent to us if required. To enter, either post your print to

Motorsport News Photo Competition
Motorsport News
Somerset House
Somerset Road
Teddington
Middlesex
TW11 8RL

or email your entry to

jason.carter@haynet.com

with the subject heading 'Photo competition'

The closing date for entries is Friday 10th December

I look forward to seeing your entries!

Yours,

Jason Carter
Picture Editor
Motorsport News
Old 10 Nov 2004, 12:59 (Ref:1149437)   #2
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
So come on folks, would be nice to have a Ten-Tenths member as the winner!
Old 11 Nov 2004, 22:33 (Ref:1150977)   #3
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
Any of you guys enter? Want to know whether to buy MN or not!
Old 12 Nov 2004, 07:47 (Ref:1151206)   #4
gi_gav
Veteran

Scotland
gi_gav should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgi_gav should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
if it's a readers competition, does it exclude any of us that are nascent pros and have some trackside shots from this year?

I have a few shots that were taken as a spectator, but obviously the view is a bit better from the other side of the fence!
Old 12 Nov 2004, 11:28 (Ref:1151409)   #5
jason carter
Rookie

It's open to any picture that has not been taken for profit or has been published, gi_gav.
Old 14 Nov 2004, 10:01 (Ref:1153063)   #6
Stefanc
Rookie

Netherlands
The Netherlands
Stefanc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
is this contest only for pictures taken in the UK, or also taken outside the UK?
Old 15 Nov 2004, 16:24 (Ref:1154155)   #7
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Gav your onto a good thing - Le Mans per chance? gott a put some in...

Last edited by ss_collins; 15 Nov 2004 at 16:24.
Old 15 Nov 2004, 16:33 (Ref:1154165)   #8
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by jason carter
It's open to any picture that has not been taken for profit or has been published, gi_gav.
[pedant mode] by not published would that include photographs published on an individuals own web site?[/pedant mode]

Last edited by Piglet; 15 Nov 2004 at 16:34.
Old 15 Nov 2004, 16:38 (Ref:1154173)   #9
jason carter
Rookie

I would accept that, Piglet.

Stefanc - as MN is a UK based publication I would encourage entries from UK based readers/photographers. The subject matter can cover any aspect of motorsport (on four wheels, of course) in any part of the world.
Old 16 Nov 2004, 13:42 (Ref:1154976)   #10
Paul_R
Rookie

Paul_R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can you enter more than one picture?

I've got a couple that I can't choose between.

Never was much good at decisions!
Old 16 Nov 2004, 18:14 (Ref:1155209)   #11
Snapper Baz
Race Official
Veteran

England
Las Vegas, NV. USA
Snapper Baz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnapper Baz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
...well its not going to be one of a F'Vee is it Sam!
Old 17 Nov 2004, 10:25 (Ref:1155786)   #12
jason carter
Rookie

You can enter more than one picture - although I'd prefer it if you excercised your judgement and selected only your very best - at the most six (although this is a limit, not a target!)
Old 17 Nov 2004, 12:56 (Ref:1155895)   #13
Happy Snapper
Veteran

Grenada
Uplyme, Lyme regis
Happy Snapper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
It's open to any picture that has not been taken for profit or has been published.
On a website or just by a Magazine or newspaper? I publish a lot of my work on my own website. All of it is taken for Media purposes as I'm retained by several picture agencies so potentially every picture I take could be considered having been taken for profit?
hrug:
Old 17 Nov 2004, 13:10 (Ref:1155909)   #14
jason carter
Rookie

The spirit of the competition is really one for those who don't enjoy the privilege of signing on and going trackside - and as such are less likely to see their work published in a newspaper, happy snapper (I love addressing people by their logins!).

We've had a fair few entries so fair, and things are looking very promising. Remember we are looking for anything motorsporty - so if you have a cracking shot of Brian Jones tucking into a steak pie in Hailwoods then that's just as likely to catch our eye as a perfectly exposed and focussed 3/4 shot of a car going round a corner.... (but please don't take this as an invititation to stalk poor Brian as he goes about his business!)
Old 17 Nov 2004, 13:14 (Ref:1155912)   #15
Neil Adams
Veteran

United Kingdom
Essex
Neil Adams should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
cool i'm gonna choose a few and send them through
Old 17 Nov 2004, 13:32 (Ref:1155929)   #16
Happy Snapper
Veteran

Grenada
Uplyme, Lyme regis
Happy Snapper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
The spirit of the competition is really one for those who don't enjoy the privilege of signing on and going trackside - and as such are less likely to see their work published in a newspaper, happy snapper (I love addressing people by their logins!).

We've had a fair few entries so fair, and things are looking very promising. Remember we are looking for anything motorsporty - so if you have a cracking shot of Brian Jones tucking into a steak pie in Hailwoods then that's just as likely to catch our eye as a perfectly exposed and focussed 3/4 shot of a car going round a corner.... (but please don't take this as an invititation to stalk poor Brian as he goes about his business!)
Doesn’t work the same when people use their real names!
The competition sounds a great idea for the readers, and I bet now you get floods of pictures. Should keep you busy for a while.
Old 17 Nov 2004, 19:58 (Ref:1156294)   #17
Alfaholic
Veteran

England
Felixstowe
Alfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAlfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jason,
For emailed entries, what sort of pixel and file size would you like people to use - I'd hate to see your inbox full of 2meg 3000x2000 pixel files from all the 10D users here.
Old 18 Nov 2004, 10:09 (Ref:1156882)   #18
jason carter
Rookie

Alfa, that's not a problem - if it HAS to be 2 meg, then so be it. The creaky MN mail server can handle it, if we stoke it with enough coal and keep the boilers going....

Ideally, however, try to compress your files - either reduce the resolution to 72 dpi for judging purposes (but bear in mind that, if you are a winner or one of the best of the rest, we will require a 300 dpi image for print), or send it through at 500-1000 pixel width.
Old 19 Nov 2004, 08:25 (Ref:1157759)   #19
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
So come on Jason, spill - any 10thers entered?
Old 19 Nov 2004, 10:11 (Ref:1157876)   #20
jason carter
Rookie

Aaah - now that would be telling! As a judge, I don't think it would be quite proper of me to discuss the entries prior to the close of the competition - suffice to say, however, that this year we have received a larger number of racing shots.

I am getting some cracking entries, so please keep 'em coming in!
Old 19 Nov 2004, 10:20 (Ref:1157883)   #21
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
But you'll tell us if one of our folks wins hopefully? Mentioning tenths in MN would also be nice........ (hey can't blame me for trying )
Old 19 Nov 2004, 10:26 (Ref:1157888)   #22
jason carter
Rookie

Keep 'em peeled and you may well spot the ten-tenths badge on page 3 of next week's Marshalling supplement. I can't guarantee any name drops, however...
Old 19 Nov 2004, 11:10 (Ref:1157921)   #23
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
No guarantees required but if you felt that you just had to mention us somewhere, we wouldn't mind!
Old 2 Dec 2004, 16:01 (Ref:1169945)   #24
jason carter
Rookie

Just over a week left for entries - and we have had plenty of very high quality pictures through, lots and lots of them! Please see the top of the thread for entry details, and good luck.

Last edited by jason carter; 2 Dec 2004 at 16:04.
Old 4 Dec 2004, 19:21 (Ref:1170813)   #25
Neil Adams
Veteran

United Kingdom
Essex
Neil Adams should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilPumpkin
So come on Jason, spill - any 10thers entered?
i have! looking forward to seeing the pics even if mine arent among them