Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 9 Oct 2007, 23:51 (Ref:2036373)   #1
RotorFan
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
RotorFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
V8 Supercar Survey

Has anyone done the "Ultimate Fan Survey" at https://www.v8superstore.com/ ?

It has many interesting questions, that our answers could help steer the sport in the right direction, like less control parts, more technology, more manufacturers. And other questions about channel 7's vs channel 10's coverage, V8 Supercar management, ticket prices, race formats, etc.

Fabrizio Giovanardi: I have like a banana - is the yellow car in front - that make me, you know, running like the monkey, running for the banana. When I see yellow in front, I just pushing harder and harder. I want that banana.
Old 10 Oct 2007, 00:57 (Ref:2036401)   #2
db120176
Racer

Australia
Sydney CBD
db120176 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddb120176 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just completed - interesting questions, especially about the coverage on TV. Seems to be with a view to a web subscriber system
Old 10 Oct 2007, 01:19 (Ref:2036409)   #3
Used Car
Racer

Alderney
In the big house without my wife & kids
Used Car should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So is the survey limited to non-AVESCO employees? A few bounces of the keyboard can easily skew the result of a small sample

To all whose lives I have touched in my short time here, may your eggs turn into chickens and kick your house down.
Old 10 Oct 2007, 01:27 (Ref:2036414)   #4
TSR
Veteran

Australia
Sutherland Shire
TSR has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I filled it out, but will it do any good is the question I raise, I doubt it with the Black Wiggle being so pigheaded.
2015 V8Supercar Champion #5 PDA Mark Frosty Winterbottom
To Finish First, First you must Finish
Old 10 Oct 2007, 01:35 (Ref:2036422)   #5
Used Car
Racer

Alderney
In the big house without my wife & kids
Used Car should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
V8x is running it, not AVESCO

To all whose lives I have touched in my short time here, may your eggs turn into chickens and kick your house down.
Old 10 Oct 2007, 02:45 (Ref:2036457)   #6
bestfit
Veteran

Australia
In a state of total confusion.
bestfit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbestfit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why have questions like "Which of the following IF ANY do you agree with etc, but then make it mandatory to pick at least 1 option.
Old 10 Oct 2007, 02:50 (Ref:2036464)   #7
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotorFan
It has many interesting questions, that our answers could help steer the sport in the right direction, like less control parts, more technology, more manufacturers. And other questions about channel 7's vs channel 10's coverage, V8 Supercar management, ticket prices, race formats, etc.
So if results show that fans are being ripped off with ticket prices (I dont think I needed the if) are VESA going to reduce their sanctioning fees in order to offer better value for its most important asset - its fans ?
Old 10 Oct 2007, 03:09 (Ref:2036474)   #8
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i don't think so they know it is the main stream category in Aus, so they know most of the fans will keep comming back, although TC could prove me wrong although i won't hold my breath.
Old 10 Oct 2007, 07:57 (Ref:2036581)   #9
GreaseMonkey99
Rookie

Australia
GreaseMonkey99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Questions seem good...wouldn't mind the V8 Race prize thing.
Old 10 Oct 2007, 14:18 (Ref:2036890)   #10
Rombles1
Veteran

Australia
Facebook
Rombles1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm intrigued that where it asks you to name your favourite driver, the list is up to date enough to include Mr Van Gisbergen, but it has Brad Jones not Simon Wills.
Old 11 Oct 2007, 08:25 (Ref:2037474)   #11
GreaseMonkey99
Rookie

Australia
I'd like to see more pitstops. Not a fan of the sprint races. Give me Clipsal style any day,.
Old 12 Oct 2007, 21:56 (Ref:2038863)   #12
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Fine grasp of geography on there:

"In which State do you currently live?"
blah, blah, New Zealand, Outside Australia

Now I'm aware of the jokes about the extra state, but for the very first question it sets an interesting standard.
Old 13 Oct 2007, 02:20 (Ref:2038972)   #13
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
Ive finally got around to filling it in , certainly were some interesting questions.

hopefully it can help to improve the sport even more
Old 13 Oct 2007, 07:24 (Ref:2039034)   #14
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
1,000 surveys have apparently been completed in 3 days Here. I didnt know TEGA/VESA had that many employees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Press Release
Your answers will be given to V8 Supercars Australia, which could help them shape the future of this great sport.
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 13 Oct 2007, 13:22 (Ref:2039221)   #15
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
could is the big word, will they listen maybe on a few things.
Old 13 Oct 2007, 15:04 (Ref:2039269)   #16
inpitlane
Veteran

inpitlane should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSR
I filled it out, but will it do any good is the question I raise, I doubt it with the Black Wiggle being so pigheaded.
THe Black Wiggle will do whatever is necessary to protect his investment in his product and expand the brand even further.
If the vast majority of those who respond say they want major changes then you can be 100% sure that changes will happen.
We, as hard core enthusiasts may not like them but we are a very, very tiny minority.
Old 16 Oct 2007, 03:20 (Ref:2041256)   #17
GreaseMonkey99
Rookie

Australia
Who is the black wiggle?

I think the way the sport has grown no one can take much blame. Politics is Politics but the interest in V8's keeps growing.

But I still go back to my first point. Longer races. More pitstops.
Old 16 Oct 2007, 03:56 (Ref:2041265)   #18
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Black Wiggle=Tony Cochrane.

i agree with your last point.
Old 16 Oct 2007, 04:39 (Ref:2041274)   #19
dsg
Veteran

Thailand
Chonburi
dsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaseMonkey99
But I still go back to my first point. Longer races. More pitstops.
Less mandatory pitstops. If they want the cars to stop then give them 30 litre fuel tanks for the regular races.
Old 16 Oct 2007, 19:30 (Ref:2042117)   #20
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by inpitlane
THe Black Wiggle will do whatever is necessary to protect his investment in his product and expand the brand even further.
If the vast majority of those who respond say they want major changes then you can be 100% sure that changes will happen.
We, as hard core enthusiasts may not like them but we are a very, very tiny minority.
A little off topic perhaps, but....this is a fascinating statement, made even more fascinating judging by your role in the media. Is that some negative sentiment towards the so-called "Black Wiggle"?

Just yesterday, on a Kiwi basis of course, we discussed the very topic of NZ motorsport and the way that it has grown from what was essentially a "grass-roots" club scene, into what is now a possible 3rd-tier, albeit it slightly removed, series to the V8 Supercars.

We really got into an in-depth discussion, and one of the features of it was these hard-core enthusiasts that you speak of who are in a minority. Well, to clarify, in terms of V8 Supercars they are; in NZV8 terms, the hard-core fans are probably still strong.

Then the discussion took an interesting twist: What if the sport took the goggles slightly off keeping the hard-core fan happy, and turned it's attention to the larger challenge of growing a wider, newer fan base in the interest of making the sport more media and sponsor-friendly and attractive.

Now, let's face it, if you are a hard-core motorsport fan like me, you will go and watch karts, F5000, V8 Supercars - even in the rain at Pukekohe, it's just what you do, in the same way that a rugby fan stands in driving rain to cheer on his favourite team come rain, hail, or snow.

So based on this, I, as a hard-core fan, will turn up regardless of what the spectacle is - for me, it's the action on the track. But what if you were a fringe fan, an interested person who wondered what it was like. Remove yourself from your fanatic self-persona for a moment, and think of it from the perspective of a fan who is sometimes able to watch the action on TV, maybe once the lawns are mowed or whatever. The partner (pitched delicately in case you are either a male or female fan) isn't 100% keen about spending a day with a nagging kid or two at a race track while cars scream by, and that is exactly what the sport, as a whole, needs to entice in order to grow, to add the entertainment factor that is sort on the "modern" weekend.

Now think about this for a minute, again removing yourself from the hard-core, all-weather fan persona, and looking at it from the "newbie" position: If you made the race track a spectacle and entertainment hub, rather than just a race meeting, then you would go a long way to increase the crowds.

Everyone on here who has been to a national or state series round will know what I mean - sod all crowd, but a die-hard crowd. By adding kids rides, a fly-pass from the local aero club (ummmm...here in NZ, they also double as our Airforce ) to start the afternoon's events, by putting some bling in to the event - note the word event!! - you will actually grow spectator numbers.

And to tie it all in to the original point, this is exactly what the perceived "Black Wiggle" has done. Look at the most successful V8 Supercar race meetings in Australasia - the AGP, Clipsal, Pukekohe - as it has done in the past, Hamilton - as it will do in the future, and the Indy "Breast Fest". All of these aren't motor races, they are events where motor racing occurs. Adelaide reall does do this well, and has done since the halycon days of the F1 race there. The place comes alive, and there is activity day and night.

Now, sure, every motor race can't be like this, but by thinking slightly differently, we could capture an audience at the event that are perhaps used to spending a few hours at a footie match, half a day at 20/20 cricket, etc, but aren't so sure about the implications of a day of motorsport.

My 2 cents mightn't be worth much by the time you do currency conversion and add inflation into the equation, but with a bit of thought, motorsport at most levels could increase its at-event (LIVE) audience attendance without a huge amount of extra effort.

It doesn't matter how you feel about our great sport, it has got more professional than it once was, and once a sport gets professional, or even semi-professional, the goal posts need to move to keep up with all the other offerings around it that compete for the comsumer time and dollar from being spectacular events.

Last edited by Just Do It!; 16 Oct 2007 at 19:32.
Old 28 Nov 2007, 09:25 (Ref:2077128)   #21
Matthew Ronke
Veteran

Australia
NSW
Matthew Ronke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
3. ABC/ESPN: The networks' much-anticipated return as NASCAR television partners left thousands of fans upset, confused and downright angry. After setting the standard for motorsports coverage in the early 1990s, the new ESPN approach was to bombard viewers with what seemed like 100 different reporters, anchors and analysts on every telecast -– many of which had no known connection to NASCAR.

An abundance of commercial breaks, missed on-track action and general poor storytelling left most of NASCAR Nation pining for the return of Bob Jenkins and Ned Jarrett to the booth.
Is a US reports take on why NASCAR TV ratings took a dive last year. Maybe its worth looking at as part of the larger survey
Old 28 Nov 2007, 22:44 (Ref:2077613)   #22
bazil
Veteran

bazil should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T.
So if results show that fans are being ripped off with ticket prices (I dont think I needed the if) are VESA going to reduce their sanctioning fees in order to offer better value for its most important asset - its fans ?
I bet you are starting to get pretty excited about now D.R.T, only 4 weeks now until you get to BOOO Santa...

If they dont ask, (some) people say "why not" and when they do ask (some) people say "who cares they wont listen anyway". Why not take the left field option have having a little faith and filling in the survey?? Who knows maybe there is something that more than just the minority would like to see happen or change? And just maybe those who's business it is run will take advantage of this offering and all will benefit...
Old 29 Nov 2007, 01:10 (Ref:2077668)   #23
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Come on Bazil, a forum is no place for common sense!
Old 22 May 2008, 08:11 (Ref:2208838)   #24
RotorFan
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
RotorFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I just had to brag:

I won first prize of two double passes for a V8 Race.com drive

Fabrizio Giovanardi: I have like a banana - is the yellow car in front - that make me, you know, running like the monkey, running for the banana. When I see yellow in front, I just pushing harder and harder. I want that banana.
Old 22 May 2008, 10:21 (Ref:2208923)   #25
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Shotgun.
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen