Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 15 May 2021, 13:11 (Ref:4051781)   #1276
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
This gives me no pleasure to write it, but I think that we shouldn't be surprised if Downing Street announces either today or tomorrow that Monday's easing of the restrictions are being delayed for a period ending sometime which will be advised at a later date. I have come to this conclusion because it would seem apparent that the media have been briefed to soften up the listeners/viewers/readers about the possibility due to the rapid spread of the "Indian" iteration of the virus, constantly repeating the danger of this spread.
Old 15 May 2021, 13:15 (Ref:4051783)   #1277
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I think the softening up is going to be for the June 21st date. They seemed keen to stress Monday is still happening, and I think they want to see the ramifications of more mixing. A semi-controlled experiment.

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk
Old 15 May 2021, 15:47 (Ref:4051802)   #1278
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Very soon, you'll be allowed to come in France. Welcome foreigners! From 60 M of dummies we expect to be 62… Incredible buy true and now they started to insult each other via the media in view of the presidential elections. As long as I can remember, I always voted but this time I'll go for the more polite one! Pathetic absolutely pathetic.
Old 15 May 2021, 17:10 (Ref:4051812)   #1279
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!
Well , today I had the galling experience of driving a past a race meeting at my local circuit . Despite having a season ticket I could not attend as it is illegal.

Ten minutes later I drove by a very busy funfair , and later I did some shopping inside a supermarket and farm shop.

Of course the Indian variant is a concern, but you catch the disease from being in confined spaces with others. It has already been shown that there is virtually a non existent risk to people in open spaces . But Croft remains out of bounds - it is absurd . Hopefully the 17th will see some resumption of a commonsense approach and there is a chance I might start enjoying live racing again . If not , I hope MSUK kicks up a bigger fuss than it did last year .
Old 16 May 2021, 00:52 (Ref:4051854)   #1280
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
I'm with Max - I reckon the final easing on June 21 could be in danger...although some local lockdowns - notably near me in Blackburn and Bolton could be on the cards earlier.

Of course what everyone in the media is skirting round with phrases such as "sociological conditions" is that it is areas with large concentrations of Asian-origin populations that are experiencing the big surges with the "Indian" variant - through a mix of travel, multi-generational family living traditions, a disregard/disbelief in the necessary precautions, and a lower level of vaccine take-up, despite the valiant attempts of many community leaders. I wish it weren't the case, but I fear it is........
Old 16 May 2021, 09:53 (Ref:4051876)   #1281
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
SWMBO read something posted today - this "Indan" variant (I'm amazed we're allowed to call it that) appears to be controlled perfectly well by the AZ vaccine, nothing to see here, pass on. However, the illness, hospitalisations and presumably future deaths are among those who have not had the jab. I suppose the next 14 days are going to be the acid test - will hospitalisations rise by a significant amount across the country? Locally, there have been zero or one admissions per day due to C-19 for the past couple of weeks now.

Got my #2 AZ jab tomorrow.

I've been gpoing to kart tracks for six weeks now, with varying degrees of restriction. One insists I register for T'n'T but is now comfortable with us maskless outdoors, another is 100% hardcore mask wearing at all times on site, even in our own pit area, and woe betide me if I change the name of the mechanic attending from the one declared a week earlier. A third takes my temperature on the way in, but no signing on at all.

No scrutineering anywhere of course, except in the series not administered by MSUK when it's back to normal.
Old 16 May 2021, 09:58 (Ref:4051878)   #1282
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I am somewhat more optimistic since the daily reported overall infections has flatlined at or around 2300 per day for the last month. Hospitalisation is steadily reducing as are use of incubators and of course, deaths. Also those who have been vaccinated are reported so far, to be safe from severe disease or death from this variant.
Old 16 May 2021, 13:26 (Ref:4051906)   #1283
midgetman
Veteran

Completely agree Peter. Not to be complacent, and I do agree with the government's staged re-opening, but currently the figures are bearable. It will be interesting to see what the next 14 days or so brings along, I'm hoping just a small rise in cases but not in hospitalisations. But I'm not an expert, and some of them are a bit pessimistic. So softly, softly is OK with me.

Bit of a scare recently when the factory where Attaq Towers is based shut down for deep clean after a minor C-19 outbreak but we seem to have weathered that. Fingers crossed.
Old 16 May 2021, 15:26 (Ref:4051921)   #1284
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
This from Andrew Neil on that Twitter thingy:

https://twitter.com/afneil/status/13...175634434?s=20

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFNeil
Important news from India: The Indraprastha Apollo Hospital in Delhi says on basis of an observational study that 97.38 per cent of those vaccinated were protected from the COVID-19 infection and the chances of hospitalisation after the vaccination are 0.06 per cent
Old 16 May 2021, 22:49 (Ref:4051988)   #1285
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
good spot, peter - so basically it's the same as the kent mutation.

i think there's still a bit of hesitancy in reporting the reasons for cases going up rapidly in particular areas in case it's seen as racism. at this point i have no sympathy for people who have refused a vaccination for any reason other than legitimate health concerns supported by their doctors. in general i've been pro-lockdown but now? have the vaccination. they've been told what'll happen if they don't. and worst of all, they're risking the lives of those who can't. we aren't closing the country because someone isn't going to listen to their community leaders, elders and medical professionals.

we need to move on now.
Old 17 May 2021, 05:37 (Ref:4052005)   #1286
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
The more we go the more complicated the situation could become. Not only the not vaccinated people are risking their lives and others but the emergency rooms are in limited number and not fully dedicated to covid-infected people.
Cant imagine the situation if, again, we'd be talking about priority and responsibility…
Old 17 May 2021, 16:07 (Ref:4052072)   #1287
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Just to add, the variant has been in the UK for more than 2 weeks so us amateur epidemiologists would expect to see cases rising by now. The last two days reported by the NHS for the UK are 1926 and 1927 (it is the weekend but that is lower than the previous 7 day average.

And yes, it appears that in most cases, those refusing vaccinations are the people causing the problem.
Old 17 May 2021, 17:01 (Ref:4052076)   #1288
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by coppice View Post
Well , today I had the galling experience of driving a past a race meeting at my local circuit . Despite having a season ticket I could not attend as it is illegal.

Ten minutes later I drove by a very busy funfair , and later I did some shopping inside a supermarket and farm shop.

Of course the Indian variant is a concern, but you catch the disease from being in confined spaces with others. It has already been shown that there is virtually a non existent risk to people in open spaces . But Croft remains out of bounds - it is absurd . Hopefully the 17th will see some resumption of a commonsense approach and there is a chance I might start enjoying live racing again . If not , I hope MSUK kicks up a bigger fuss than it did last year .
I heard from Croft today that although it will readmit spectators, it will only condescend to allow them between Clervaux and the Chicane . That means
less than half the available spectating . No access to paddock area at all.

This is absurd .I can accept the case for access to pit garages to be limited. but a large ,open , paddock and a long , raised area of spectator banking (invariably windy , too ) also verboten ? How the **** is that reconcilable with pubs , gyms ,shops being open , not to mention that access to open space has never been barred - because it prevents no bloody risk to anybody ?
Old 17 May 2021, 18:47 (Ref:4052099)   #1289
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
And yes, it appears that in most cases, those refusing vaccinations are the people causing the problem.
Of course they are! I'm waiting for the moment pass sanitaire will be available and mandatory to access some public places. Sure the réfractaires will have to change their mind when they'll find a restaurant or bistrot's doors closed for them. Mike please, what are the correct words for "ras le bol"?! Fed up or pi**d off I think.
Old 17 May 2021, 20:23 (Ref:4052104)   #1290
midgetman
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
good spot, peter - so basically it's the same as the kent mutation.

i think there's still a bit of hesitancy in reporting the reasons for cases going up rapidly in particular areas in case it's seen as racism. at this point i have no sympathy for people who have refused a vaccination for any reason other than legitimate health concerns supported by their doctors. in general i've been pro-lockdown but now? have the vaccination. they've been told what'll happen if they don't. and worst of all, they're risking the lives of those who can't. we aren't closing the country because someone isn't going to listen to their community leaders, elders and medical professionals.

<B>we need to move on now</B>.
The last sentence is the only part of this I have issue with. IMO the government is doing exactly the right thing in moving slowly, assessing the situation before opening the next bit. It's only five weeks to go, let's make sure we're doing the right thing.

Old 17 May 2021, 21:38 (Ref:4052113)   #1291
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
The last sentence is the only part of this I have issue with. IMO the government is doing exactly the right thing in moving slowly, assessing the situation before opening the next bit. It's only five weeks to go, let's make sure we're doing the right thing.

Spot on.
Old 17 May 2021, 21:52 (Ref:4052115)   #1292
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Of course they are! I'm waiting for the moment pass sanitaire will be available and mandatory to access some public places. Sure the réfractaires will have to change their mind when they'll find a restaurant or bistrot's doors closed for them. Mike please, what are the correct words for "ras le bol"?! Fed up or pi**d off I think.

Both of those would be right, but only one in polite society, Gérard!
Old 17 May 2021, 22:50 (Ref:4052118)   #1293
Paul D
Veteran

England
Southport, Merseyside
Paul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Personally, if, as the evidence appears to be suggesting, those that could, and should, have had the vaccine but chose not to are the ones now causing the problems re the spread of the latest strain, then I think maybe it's time some sort of sanction was introduced.

We all know that we're talking about a certain group of people here, but in this overly PC world in which we live, no one can come out and say it for fear of being accused of racism or some other -ism.

That aside, perhaps it would be a good idea to ban those not vaccinated (having been offered it and refused) from public areas until such time as they accept vaccination? To some I'm sure it will seem draconian, but if, as the scientists keep telling us, the vaccine is the way out of this pandemic and the route back to a normal life for the majority, then why should that majority have to accept yet further sanctions on their freedom - never mind the untold economic damage - simply because of a selfish, blinkered minority who refuse to be vaccinated?

Darwin Awards, anyone...?
Old 18 May 2021, 01:16 (Ref:4052122)   #1294
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Darwin awards, definitely.....but the problem is that the "Darwinians" aren't the only ones affected.

And yet, despite my normal right of centre stance, I still twitch a bit about mandatory vaccination.........tho happy to sanction social isolation of any refuseniks.....

Its a tricky old world
Old 18 May 2021, 06:58 (Ref:4052133)   #1295
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
OK, I'll stick my head above the parapet here...
Surely, if the jabs are as good as we are being told that they are (i.e. that if you have it you will be safe) the only people at risk and those who have chosen not to have it (or are yet to be offered it)?
But this is not the case, they don't stop us from catching, carrying or transmitting the virus, but what they can do in some cases is to reduce the severity of your symptoms if you do catch it.
Stay safe everyone (and I do mean that from the heart).
Old 18 May 2021, 10:14 (Ref:4052147)   #1296
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
OK, I'll stick my head above the parapet here...
Surely, if the jabs are as good as we are being told that they are (i.e. that if you have it you will be safe) the only people at risk and those who have chosen not to have it (or are yet to be offered it)?
But this is not the case, they don't stop us from catching, carrying or transmitting the virus, but what they can do in some cases is to reduce the severity of your symptoms if you do catch it.
Stay safe everyone (and I do mean that from the heart).

I don't believe that anyone has claimed that you are safe once you have had the vaccinations, but I do believe that they have said that one is safer - there is a huge gulf between the two.

I do also believe that those who have been vaccinated are less likely to spread the virus.

I find myself in the camp that thinks that those who choose not to be vaccinated should be barred from public events because they undoubtedly expose others to catching the virus.

And yes, I fully understand that certain people are at risk from debilitating ill effects after having the inoculation, but the number is miniscule in comparison to those who suffer no ill effects. And I say that knowing that one of my daughter in law's teacher colleagues did suffer a blood clot, thankfully fully recovering - d-in-l had the Pfizer version, and that has not known to produce these type of ill effect.
Old 18 May 2021, 10:33 (Ref:4052150)   #1297
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Lets face it, no vaccine is trivial, would it be the case it would not be an efficient one. When the sanitary passport will be mandatory (hope it will be the case soon) non vaccinated people will have the choice to stay into a risky bubble or not.
Old 18 May 2021, 11:06 (Ref:4052156)   #1298
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
I don't believe that anyone has claimed that you are safe once you have had the vaccinations, but I do believe that they have said that one is safer - there is a huge gulf between the two.

I do also believe that those who have been vaccinated are less likely to spread the virus.

I find myself in the camp that thinks that those who choose not to be vaccinated should be barred from public events because they undoubtedly expose others to catching the virus.

And yes, I fully understand that certain people are at risk from debilitating ill effects after having the inoculation, but the number is miniscule in comparison to those who suffer no ill effects. And I say that knowing that one of my daughter in law's teacher colleagues did suffer a blood clot, thankfully fully recovering - d-in-l had the Pfizer version, and that has not known to produce these type of ill effect.
Mike, I certainly don't want to turn this into an on-line argument we all have our opinions that we are entitled to.
All I want to say is that if the ability to still spread and/or carry the virus is still there, the risks to transmit the virus is still there, to whatever a degree that this may be.
None of the vaccines have been fully approved yet (and cannot be until the testing is completed until 2023/2024 depending on which one it is), but they were approved to be used 'in emergency purposes only'. This was when Covid was deemed as a serious virus, but some time ago the UK authorities downgraded the official severity of Covid to 'seasonal flu', yet the vaccines are still being administered...
Old 18 May 2021, 12:15 (Ref:4052161)   #1299
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
but some time ago the UK authorities downgraded the official severity of Covid to 'seasonal flu', yet the vaccines are still being administered...

I'm not sure that's entirely accurate. It may well have been said that subsequent to the widespread take-up of the vaccines, the current threat level may be similar to that of a seasonal flu - but of course we routinely vaccinate against that, too!

The evidence appears to suggest that with the new Indian variant, the vast majority infected, and subsequently hospitalised, are those who haven't been vaccinated, although a small percentage have had one jab, and I believe there is one case of someone who had had both treatments. Hence the stress on getting people in high risk areas injected asap - although as immunity takes time to build up this is possibly a case of stable doors being shut too late. Again slow take up of vaccinations is linked to areas with large ethnic minority populations and areas of deprivation, sadly.
Old 18 May 2021, 13:04 (Ref:4052167)   #1300
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
I'm not sure that's entirely accurate. It may well have been said that subsequent to the widespread take-up of the vaccines, the current threat level may be similar to that of a seasonal flu - but of course we routinely vaccinate against that, too!

The evidence appears to suggest that with the new Indian variant, the vast majority infected, and subsequently hospitalised, are those who haven't been vaccinated, although a small percentage have had one jab, and I believe there is one case of someone who had had both treatments. Hence the stress on getting people in high risk areas injected asap - although as immunity takes time to build up this is possibly a case of stable doors being shut too late. Again slow take up of vaccinations is linked to areas with large ethnic minority populations and areas of deprivation, sadly.
I can't find the original link to the uk.gov website that I got my information from last month which was much clearer. this does however clearly explain the official downgrading of the virus severity. (I have shown a full screenshot of my monitor screen so that the internet address can be seen if anyone wishes to read the whole thing).
Click image for larger version

Name:	Covid 19 Status.png
Views:	11
Size:	144.6 KB
ID:	68580