Kobayashi was entertaining

A great race in my opinion, the purists wont be happy
Old 8 May 2011, 13:41 (Ref:2876763)   #77
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It was enjoyable but not memorable. Congrats to Vettel.
Old 8 May 2011, 13:42 (Ref:2876764)   #78
OZ_HCR32
Veteran

OZ_HCR32 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridOZ_HCR32 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Alonso was the best out there. Interesting that Button gave the 3 stop a go.
Old 8 May 2011, 13:54 (Ref:2876769)   #79
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
I can't wait for "rate the race" so I can register my disgust. Also it is clear that Webber is DotR, only 8s behind his team mate.
Old 8 May 2011, 14:10 (Ref:2876798)   #80
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ_HCR32 View Post
Alonso was the best out there. Interesting that Button gave the 3 stop a go.
Interesting comments from Jenson about his tyres. He says they were good but was called in to change them. Button's good with his tyres and when he calls the stops, like he did a couple of times last season he he did well. Sounds like Whitmarsh was interfering like he did last season and makes a bit of a hash of it. Button was not happy in that interview.
Old 8 May 2011, 14:22 (Ref:2876817)   #81
Paulaweybridge
Veteran

United Kingdom
Paulaweybridge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaulaweybridge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Certainly DRS & KERS have made the spectacle more exciting, BUT is the racing pure?

I think not.

Devices and to a lesser extent strategy mean that driver against driver and machine against machine is compromised.

At least I no longer fall asleep during F1 races so that's good !!!
Old 8 May 2011, 14:39 (Ref:2876845)   #82
OZ_HCR32
Veteran

OZ_HCR32 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridOZ_HCR32 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulaweybridge View Post
At least I no longer fall asleep during F1 races so that's good !!!
Yeh, maybe. I can see what you are saying and almost agree. But I cant remember a race where there was so much clean wheel to wheel that went on for corners and a lap later a re-pass with Hamo/Button, Alonso/Webber plust the mid field cast.

I think that they are not hanging on for dear life like they used to. Before it was all over if you got past and perhaps they crowded each other a tad too much..some moves were too easy, but there were few where it allowed a car to pull alongside and a brakign duel and a 2-3 corner battle ensued. I think that shows a good level of race craft we havent seen a lot of
Old 8 May 2011, 14:49 (Ref:2876854)   #83
ukaskew
Racer

ukaskew should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Any idea who it was that crossed the line side by side at the end? They were behind Vettel so presumably both just registered as '+ 1 Lap', would like to know just how close it was.
Old 8 May 2011, 15:04 (Ref:2876864)   #84
amk
Rookie

amk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sutil - Perez, I believe ...
Old 8 May 2011, 15:30 (Ref:2876874)   #85
sparkione
Racer

England
Oxfordshire
sparkione should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsparkione should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsparkione should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Interesting to see the two Maccas finish relatively close, and exactly where they started, despite the different strategies. They just ain't quick enough.

DRS: It used to be exciting watching two team mates in identical cars racing nose to tail. No longer. The guy in front's a sitting duck, and a pass inevitable.

TGF: Past it – EJ was right. Sad.
Old 8 May 2011, 16:09 (Ref:2876887)   #86
fourWheelDrift
Veteran

United Kingdom
fourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukaskew View Post
Any idea who it was that crossed the line side by side at the end? They were behind Vettel so presumably both just registered as '+ 1 Lap', would like to know just how close it was.
I saw that too, I think the car behind failed to pull it off by a couple of feet but I've no idea who it was.
Old 8 May 2011, 20:06 (Ref:2877028)   #87
Peralta
Veteran

Mexico
Guadalajara Jalisco
Peralta is a back marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourWheelDrift View Post
I saw that too, I think the car behind failed to pull it off by a couple of feet but I've no idea who it was.
That was Sutil and Perez. They must have a good scrap btween the two for the last two laps finishing dude by side when they crossed the line instead the camera guys thought it was better to focus on Vettel on his last boring lap.

I'm sure it was like Massa-Kubica in Japan a few years back. We will never know
Old 9 May 2011, 08:07 (Ref:2877257)   #88
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
That McLaren just looks so stiff and rubbish in the slow corners, doesn't look like a nice car to drive at all. Compare that with the 09 car which was really good over the bumps and had a nice short wheelbase and was nimble in the corners.
Old 9 May 2011, 08:35 (Ref:2877266)   #89
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Button was not happy in that interview.
I suppose he would be. At one of his stops they even fed him back out into traffic! McLaren are a little bit behind the game when it comes to pit work and strategy, even in situations where the pressure isn't on.
Old 9 May 2011, 08:38 (Ref:2877267)   #90
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
That McLaren just looks so stiff and rubbish in the slow corners, doesn't look like a nice car to drive at all. Compare that with the 09 car which was really good over the bumps and had a nice short wheelbase and was nimble in the corners.
McLaren obviously rely on a very stiff car for maximum aero gain. The one other noticeable thing about another car was just how high the rear end of the Red Bull was off the ground! Different philosophies.
Old 9 May 2011, 13:46 (Ref:2877466)   #91
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
I suppose he would be. At one of his stops they even fed him back out into traffic! McLaren are a little bit behind the game when it comes to pit work and strategy, even in situations where the pressure isn't on.
Who decided when Button was to come in, Whitmarsh?
Old 9 May 2011, 13:54 (Ref:2877471)   #92
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Who decided when Button was to come in, Whitmarsh?
I don't know. It certainly wasn't Button.

Surely the driver knows when it's best to stop for new tyres? He's the one that can tell what the feeling is with them better than any sensor or an engineers predetermined theories. This is what Pirelli meant by giving the racing back to the drivers rather than leaving it all to the engineers. Obviously there's still a lot to be learnt in that respect.
Old 9 May 2011, 14:37 (Ref:2877502)   #93
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
I don't know. It certainly wasn't Button.

Surely the driver knows when it's best to stop for new tyres? He's the one that can tell what the feeling is with them better than any sensor or an engineers predetermined theories. This is what Pirelli meant by giving the racing back to the drivers rather than leaving it all to the engineers. Obviously there's still a lot to be learnt in that respect.
I would have thought so and Button's good at calling the tyre stops as was seen last season. Certainly something to be learnt regarding McLaren, in this instance.
Old 9 May 2011, 17:07 (Ref:2877579)   #94
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
I would have thought so and Button's good at calling the tyre stops as was seen last season. Certainly something to be learnt regarding McLaren, in this instance.
Absolutely. Button is good at calling, just push him.