Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 6 Mar 2004, 13:13 (Ref:895902)   #1
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Why isn't Button third?

Old rules I thought were the guy who set it first gets the position. I kind of preferred that rule.

But this new rule means Montoya gets within Ferrari-annoying distance:

Quote:
Article 141
The grid will be drawn up in the order of the fastest time achieved by each driver in the second
part of the qualifying practice session. Should two or more drivers have set identical times,
priority will be given to the one who set the fastest time in the first part of the qualifying practice
session.
Old 6 Mar 2004, 13:16 (Ref:895906)   #2
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If the position is given to the guy who sets the time first, it is effectively rewarding a driver for being slower in the first session. The new rule is the only fair way it can be done under the new qualifying system. In Brazil last year it happened to Frentzen and Panis, and many people (including myself) suggested at the time that it was unfair.
Old 6 Mar 2004, 13:19 (Ref:895910)   #3
Ralf
Racer

Ralf has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Should be rock, paper, scissors!
Old 6 Mar 2004, 13:20 (Ref:895912)   #4
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
True it's unfair - but if the slower guy gets it it's usually more fun - as the driver who's all over the grid will often not be one of the top notch competitors.

I though these new rules were all about making the grids more messy, haphazard and more exciting?

I didn't think fair or fastest driver had anything to do with it anymore?
Old 6 Mar 2004, 13:29 (Ref:895924)   #5
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Fairness does come into it. The fastest driver under current conditions gets pole, the next fasteest is alongside him, and so on. The main purpose of changing the qualifying system for 2003 was to give variety to the grids, and maximise the effect of different strategies. Making things unpredictable was part of the plan; rewarding people for not being as fast wasn't.
Old 6 Mar 2004, 13:35 (Ref:895931)   #6
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The heavy shoes guy is right -

it's up to the wheather, something that Team Red can't control.
Old 6 Mar 2004, 13:38 (Ref:895933)   #7
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Sorry. Was taking the mick a bit.

I see it makes sense and why it's done that way. Just would have liked the BAR in third that's all.
Old 6 Mar 2004, 13:42 (Ref:895937)   #8
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
its probably fairer this way as JPm was faster than Jenson in the previous sessions
Old 6 Mar 2004, 15:22 (Ref:895994)   #9
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I agree with the new rules, and JPM should start 3rd. Let's just hope he'd not try too hard and do another Indy on Michael.

But i don't really think Button is THAT disappointed. Afterall, the car showed great pace and potential in qualifyings and practice and looks good for a race podium if reliability sticks.
Old 6 Mar 2004, 16:04 (Ref:896040)   #10
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Well if you really want to be fair why not go back to the best time in the two sessions?
Old 6 Mar 2004, 16:12 (Ref:896045)   #11
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree Peter, I think that an aggregate of the two sessions would be far better. You can still have the order sorting system as it is, but by having both sessions count to towards the grid you'll see the drivers really pushing hard in both. As it stands the first session is pretty much a waste of time.
Old 6 Mar 2004, 16:15 (Ref:896049)   #12
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Its a plot to get Grand Prix meetings down to two days. Possibly.
Old 6 Mar 2004, 17:11 (Ref:896087)   #13
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Gt_R
I agree with the new rules, and JPM should start 3rd. Let's just hope he'd not try too hard and do another Indy on Michael.
lets hope he tries too hard.. knocks out MS,RB, JB, Himself, Webber,Sato,(the guy in front of Ralf dont rem who), so Ralf can stroll to a victory....
Old 6 Mar 2004, 17:18 (Ref:896095)   #14
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well, it's his only hope....
Old 6 Mar 2004, 17:20 (Ref:896097)   #15
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
You really want Rafe to win, just by default, not because he earnt it?

Last edited by Mr V; 6 Mar 2004 at 17:21.
Old 6 Mar 2004, 19:18 (Ref:896180)   #16
wilbursdad
Rookie

wilbursdad should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just seen the fumnniest thing........Ralf'the great overtaker' schumacher- World campion 2004.

All i can say to that is the Australian sun has obviously caused this believer to be dilusional. He has got more chance of getting 'Head' off the Pope.
Old 6 Mar 2004, 19:35 (Ref:896186)   #17
hamsmith
Racer

hamsmith should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Everyone with little faith wait and see tomorro when we find out Ralf qulified badly because he is in fact on a two stop strategy unlike the Buttmaster on five.and everyone can eat their words when Ralf steps up on the podium while Buttmaster is retired with an engine blowup and the marshals are picking up satos bar debrie.
Old 6 Mar 2004, 19:50 (Ref:896205)   #18
wilbursdad
Rookie

wilbursdad should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What a load of bull..
Schummi JUNIOR should never of been aloud to enter F1, he was never experienced enough for a start, he should have stayed within the lower formulas (preferabley carting),
I mean honestly, would you have him or anybody else for that matter in your team if all they are going to do is ***** about their wages while waving their brother through?
Christ i know i wouldn't. Perhaps Little Bro' should concentrate on serving tea and cookies to Montoya's Engineers and giving Patrick Head.
Old 6 Mar 2004, 20:03 (Ref:896216)   #19
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by Hazard
True it's unfair - but if the slower guy gets it it's usually more fun - as the driver who's all over the grid will often not be one of the top notch competitors.

I though these new rules were all about making the grids more messy, haphazard and more exciting?

I didn't think fair or fastest driver had anything to do with it anymore?
Sorry.

erm, Montoya demonstrated he was quicker in the previous session, why is it unfair? I don't understand.

The rules have changed this year to correct a hang over that was unfair from the old 1hour Q session (when applied to the new system).

[EDIT]Just read your other post, ooops, jumped in too early[/EDIT]

Last edited by Adam43; 6 Mar 2004 at 20:06.
Old 6 Mar 2004, 20:05 (Ref:896217)   #20
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Mallett
Well if you really want to be fair why not go back to the best time in the two sessions?
Fairness in GP racing? Don't make me laugh. This isn't a sport you know it is a show.

Old 6 Mar 2004, 21:23 (Ref:896249)   #21
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally posted by hamsmith
Everyone with little faith wait and see tomorro when we find out Ralf qulified badly because he is in fact on a two stop strategy unlike the Buttmaster on five.and everyone can eat their words when Ralf steps up on the podium while Buttmaster is retired with an engine blowup and the marshals are picking up satos bar debrie.
Heh, heh. That's a good one!
Old 7 Mar 2004, 18:17 (Ref:897267)   #22
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
well he beat Button atleast....
Old 7 Mar 2004, 18:38 (Ref:897284)   #23
f1atic
Racer

f1atic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by BootsOntheSide
If the position is given to the guy who sets the time first, it is effectively rewarding a driver for being slower in the first session. The new rule is the only fair way it can be done under the new qualifying system. In Brazil last year it happened to Frentzen and Panis, and many people (including myself) suggested at the time that it was unfair.
Seems simple, doesn't it? It is true and it is the fairest way. Options would include things like a coin toss.
Old 7 Mar 2004, 22:54 (Ref:897535)   #24
fast95pony
Veteran

Canada
Calgary,Alberta,Canada
fast95pony should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How about Pistols at Dawn ??