Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 26 Jan 2015, 21:32 (Ref:3497750)   #126
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well not unless they design and build the LMP2 themselves and then don't offer it to customers. But that's about as realistic as me winning in lottery. Without actually playing lottery lol

If it eventually goes ahead as promised they'll likely just rent some cheap open top and do few random vlogs or whatever to make it seem like they meant business by viral marketing.
Old 9 Apr 2015, 06:00 (Ref:3525288)   #127
Ephaeton
Veteran

Austria
Between Österreichring and Nordschleife
Ephaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEphaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEphaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEphaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Yay, the money is burnt through, and only a tiny fraction of the announced steps have been achieved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brabham news
The fully functioning Brabham-Digital platform and portals, encompassing race day telemetry, car design, and community collaboration will take longer to build. This next phase of development will begin when we receive the investment to go racing.
At work, we create such (static, bootstrap-y styled) pages for a (tiny!) fraction of the money collected. How is it all gone already, and this is all it bought "us"? A static page with zero interactivity and no racer functionality either? How very, very disappointing. This still feels leaning on the scam side of life.
Old 9 Apr 2015, 13:43 (Ref:3525383)   #128
TzeiTzei
Veteran

Finland
TzeiTzei should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTzeiTzei should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTzeiTzei should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ephaeton View Post
Yay, the money is burnt through, and only a tiny fraction of the announced steps have been achieved.
Did they buy the yacht already?
Old 9 Apr 2015, 15:32 (Ref:3525407)   #129
Ephaeton
Veteran

Austria
Ephaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEphaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEphaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEphaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
dunno, silverstone's brabham's meet & greet might offer the opportunity to ask about the size and interior of said yacht..
Old 9 Apr 2015, 17:08 (Ref:3525439)   #130
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Maybe he's going to offer time on said yacht for donators, depending on how much you donated.
Old 9 Apr 2015, 17:34 (Ref:3525445)   #131
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
No the first round of money grabbing only bought the private yacht, it's the next round - or at the very least the one after that - that will grant you some "timeshare" access to the boat... as in you may get a photo taken of it with David's signature
Old 9 Apr 2015, 18:19 (Ref:3525466)   #132
Bob Baldwin
Racer

United States
Shelbyville Ky
Bob Baldwin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A Project going No Where !
Old 9 Apr 2015, 18:38 (Ref:3525475)   #133
Ephaeton
Veteran

Austria
I'd rather talk about what has been achieved with the > 250k GBP instead of bashing the project blindly.

A site you wouldn't pay 10% of the 250k for, a new promise for something that should exist by now,
a lack of updates and by no means a way to weigh in on decisions or whatever.

Where are Mr. Goodwin, Mr. Collins now? Care to investigate? They happily boosted awareness for the project. I'd like to see them follow up. Brabs IS in silverstone after all, and he DOES have a meet & greet & question section. I hope the journalists present will ask the hurtful questions and stop being apologetic and understanding.
Old 9 Apr 2015, 20:05 (Ref:3525515)   #134
YorkshireLad
Veteran

United Kingdom
skipton, north yorkshire
YorkshireLad should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i've said it before.. and i'll say it again... Perrinn should of got the funding, at least he's genuine and we would of actually seen progress by now!
Old 9 Apr 2015, 20:19 (Ref:3525522)   #135
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
I'm not surprised really. Brabham needed a sugar daddy. You can get delirious with an initial burst of cash afforded by crowdfunding but the fans are fickle, the novelty wears thin and the cash dries up. But it was a worthy effort to see how far he could carry it with a crowdfunding approach. Not to be, alas.
Old 9 Apr 2015, 21:40 (Ref:3525546)   #136
Deleted
Veteran

This tells that even in best case scenario - after they've hypothetically got even more money off from people - they're gonna be running some cheap rebadged rent car in couple of years time. But I think taking the yacht for long cruise is more likely.

For such thing, couldn't they have just made a deal with some existing P2 team and run in co-operation with them instead of all this. Because all the rest they've promised/talked is obviously beyond wildest pipe dreams, if it ever was more than cash harvesting...

Last edited by Deleted; 9 Apr 2015 at 21:46.
Old 9 Apr 2015, 22:44 (Ref:3525559)   #137
truebeliever
Racer

truebeliever should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridtruebeliever should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am a little disappointed, as it is a reasonable chunk of money they have got off people for this project. Clearly Brabham himself, whilst not maybe an extremely rich person, is by no means poor so you would "expect" him to be inputting funding of his own to get this project up and running.

The amount raised clearly is a small portion of what is ultimately required, but is enough for people to see some "visible" proof this project is going to happen, rather than not.

I guess we shall see what comes next, but I for one will not be sitting holding my breath on this. Is not what I really expected. I never did expect any group of people wanting crowd funding to pay for their racing to succeed anyway, but there should have been a bit more transparent credibility, considering people have given them their own money, and it would seem this is not a charity, is it?
Old 10 Apr 2015, 07:32 (Ref:3525660)   #138
Ephaeton
Veteran

Austria
...And the likes of goodwin aren't near critical enough of the project yet. Nice of him to tweet positive blurb about a smokescreen.
I'm worried by how personal preference of some journalists / multiplicators in the business affect objective reporting and avoid drilling down into where it actually festers.
Old 10 Apr 2015, 12:38 (Ref:3525746)   #139
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Have to say that as a student on a very limited budget, I am very glad I didn't put any money in.
Old 10 Apr 2015, 13:20 (Ref:3525757)   #140
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
I don't think its some calculated heist from Brabham but I don't see refunds either. It's like a lot of 'visionary' start-ups. It runs too much on the fumes of idealism and then stalls when the idealism doesn't match with reality and certain objectives are not met.

And crowdfunding is as breathtaking for start-ups and is it generally unsuitable for sustainability simply because people get jaded of a given idea. Certainly if crowdfunding is supposed to be a sustainable revenue source here, then you have to keep the momentum going, going, going. The fact that this thread has been silent for some months is heavily indicative of a failed project.
Old 10 Apr 2015, 16:59 (Ref:3525836)   #141
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I can't say for sure, but I don't imagine David Brabham sitting around calculating how to fleece small investors.
Old 10 Apr 2015, 18:31 (Ref:3525852)   #142
Hawkwood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warrington
Hawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by truebeliever View Post
I am a little disappointed, as it is a reasonable chunk of money they have got off people for this project. Clearly Brabham himself, whilst not maybe an extremely rich person, is by no means poor so you would "expect" him to be inputting funding of his own to get this project up and running.
I have to admit, this is something that bugs the hell out of me, when the rich and/or famous want someone else pay for their hobbies.
Patrick Dempsey kept saying it on the 4-part doc about his run up to Le Mans in 2013, "I don't want to put my own money in".

If you're not prepared to put some of your own money in then go do something else.
I (along with everyone else here), have to pay for my own hobbies.
If I don't have the cash, I wouldn't expect others to pay for me.
But then, maybe I don't expect it because I'm not famous?

Anyway, rant over.

*Of course, I don't know whether or not David Brabham is putting his own money in or just his Dad's name, this was more of a general rant.

Last edited by Hawkwood; 10 Apr 2015 at 18:39.
Old 10 Apr 2015, 19:52 (Ref:3525875)   #143
truebeliever
Racer

truebeliever should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridtruebeliever should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkwood View Post
I have to admit, this is something that bugs the hell out of me, when the rich and/or famous want someone else pay for their hobbies.
Patrick Dempsey kept saying it on the 4-part doc about his run up to Le Mans in 2013, "I don't want to put my own money in".

If you're not prepared to put some of your own money in then go do something else.

Anyway, rant over.

*Of course, I don't know whether or not David Brabham is putting his own money in or just his Dad's name, this was more of a general rant.

Dad's name or not, there doesn't seem to be any credibility nor transparency in this project. If Brabham IS using his own money also, I would tend to think this fact "could" encourage people to dig deeper. If he is not, then what has the money raised so far, been spent on?

For a person, or group of persons to sit down and plan a project, actually other than their own time, costs nothing. Assuming you have a house/apartment/tent to live in, are paying your normal day to day living costs, an internet connection, computer, desk, chair and notebooks etc and your own knowledge, it can in essence be done to the planning stage for zero "real" expense. So I have to question as to what this money given to date, has been used for? I am not implying it was set up as a scam, but there probably needs to be some form of accountability on Brabham's behalf to explain where this money was used and for what?

I do not imagine we will see any Brabham team, LMP2 or otherwise appear any time soon. Perhaps if millions had been raised, maybe, being as not, then nice dinners, new car and so on. I do not believe I am the only person thinking along this line, certainly with no real word from the man himself, not much else people can conclude is there.

As you said, it is almost "in your face" for the likes of Dempsey to actually say he doesn't want to use his own money. I guess he is a product of modern day America where people believe the BS said about them is actually real. Is he famous, am I allowed to say that about a famous person?
Old 10 Apr 2015, 20:52 (Ref:3525888)   #144
porsche91722
Veteran

Australia
S.E.Qld
porsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridporsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridporsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The whole saga is continuing along the lines that I anticipated, which is really sad for the Brabham name. Initially, there was talk of a possible return to F1, the development of a prototype sports car and the opportunity for the people making donations to be part of the whole project via interaction with the team. Now we're looking at a re-branded P2 car, which is due to appear........when?... sometime in 2016.... maybe ??? David was quite emphatic about the legality's when discussing this with Hindy the other night, so he's obviously checked it out thoroughly. It's not a good look so far, regarding the teams initial aspirations, and for the long term sustainability for Project Brabham.
If you're happy with the way the team is progressing, after making your donation to the begging bowl...... good for you! There's a slim chance the show will still come together and then you'll have the opportunity to bask in any possible glory... but hey.... don't hold your breath!
A fool and his money........
Old 11 Apr 2015, 16:23 (Ref:3526145)   #145
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkwood View Post

Anyway, rant over.

Slightly off-topic, but I only watched the first episode of that first series and I really couldn't stand the bloke by the end of it! The way it was portrayed as a matter of life and death was hard to take seriously, and watching him sulk about making appearances for sponsors was absolutely pathetic.

This stuff is meant to be fun, Patrick.
Old 11 Apr 2015, 16:51 (Ref:3526152)   #146
Bob Baldwin
Racer

United States
Shelbyville Ky
Bob Baldwin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well with the Hollywood Mentality it is all about Them and Not us Fans of the Sport .

The big exception was Paul Newman . A great guy and approachable . To my knowledge never complained to anyone of the Cost to go racing .Whether he was in the car or Not .
Old 15 Apr 2015, 11:50 (Ref:3527641)   #147
Deleted
Veteran

So during the weekend, did any of the journos dare to ask those 'tough questions' from David?

Think it would require someone unbiased in this matter like Marshall Pruett to conduct them
Old 15 Apr 2015, 17:45 (Ref:3527726)   #148
YorkshireLad
Veteran

United Kingdom
skipton, north yorkshire
YorkshireLad should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
All I saw was some flyers for the project on the tills in the paddock bar at the old pits..
Old 15 Apr 2015, 17:59 (Ref:3527729)   #149
Ephaeton
Veteran

Austria
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
So during the weekend, did any of the journos dare to ask those 'tough questions' from David?
I wish there was, I expect (and fear) that nobody bothered.
Old 15 Apr 2015, 21:37 (Ref:3527796)   #150
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I agree with a lot of what's been said above - but are some people under the impression that this project was intended to roll out with a new bespoke P2 design? I don't remember reading that anywhere in the brief. They were planning to get the online part running, then get a factory and purchase a P2 chassis. The re-badging concept is disappointing and needless IMO.

As a lot of people said at the start of this, you're putting money in at your own risk. Which is what I did. I got told it was a massive announcement and incredible news for sportscars. And that's fine. It was worth a try I guess.