Old 7 Mar 2004, 14:24 (Ref:897072)   #1
Speed
Veteran

Panama
Panama, Rep. of Panama
Speed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Kimi ?!?!?

Did you see Massa´s overtake on Kimi ?
Do you think this affected his [KR] concentration ?
Old 7 Mar 2004, 14:28 (Ref:897074)   #2
DavidStHubbins
Veteran

United Kingdom
DavidStHubbins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It seems too much of a coincidence that just as Massa overtakes Kim the McLaren dies.

The reason Massa could overtake him is because Kimi's car was busy self-destructing.. They had to extinguish the engine which was smoking. Was not Kimi's fault.
Old 7 Mar 2004, 14:28 (Ref:897075)   #3
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Massa's move was whilst Kimis engine was giving up wasn't it?:confused:
Old 7 Mar 2004, 14:30 (Ref:897077)   #4
DavidStHubbins
Veteran

United Kingdom
DavidStHubbins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fine minds think along the same lines
Old 7 Mar 2004, 14:32 (Ref:897078)   #5
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hmm, not quite, it was a couple of corners before that. I don't think it had anything to do with the engine.
Old 7 Mar 2004, 14:43 (Ref:897093)   #6
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yeah, but the way Raikkonen had suddenly fallen away from Coulthard suggested the engine was tightening before Massa made his move.
Old 7 Mar 2004, 14:45 (Ref:897096)   #7
Maxmil
Veteran

United States
New England, USA
Maxmil should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

It was said to be a water pump failure. I would think the engine could keep going for a few seconds after losing coolant, but not much more.
Old 7 Mar 2004, 14:51 (Ref:897100)   #8
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
well a water pump failure is vague- it may have seized- or bits of propeller or pumpshaft may have gone into the coolant passages killing a cylinder, or clogging one radiator, and kimi slowed to keep temperautre down, then when it got to hot it siezed. (what 3000 C??)
i saw massa close in and pass down the straight before Kimi's car blew to pieces-terrible thing.
what happened to massa's car? a ferrari shouldn't do that.
Old 7 Mar 2004, 16:12 (Ref:897174)   #9
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
i hope Kimi bounces back we need him to fight for th WDC!!
Old 7 Mar 2004, 16:15 (Ref:897176)   #10
Thorstone
Veteran

Thorstone should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It was like Kimi was driving 2001 Sauber-Petronas
Old 7 Mar 2004, 16:26 (Ref:897184)   #11
Bilal
Rookie

Bilal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
well, bad luck for kimi, hope he bounces back
Old 7 Mar 2004, 16:35 (Ref:897187)   #12
Laitinen
Rookie

Laitinen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Reliability of McL

Some of the difficulties You pointed out are right, point blank. The Mercedes engine has been down on power and the real engine develpment is also down since the tragic death of Ilmor founder Paul Morgan in a 2001 plane crash. The development ever since hasn't been very effective with the engines or chassis.
Take f.ex. the previous MP which was meant to be revolutionary but never had a one single race.
McLaren's poor reliability does not ease the possibilities for our very dear team to win championship. After the last season all the teams had equal opportunities to develop - some succeeded and some didn't. The best teams show their developmental capacity by their doings and results - not with vows and open promises of the change to come.
There are all the elements needed: very fast drivers, very modern facilities and test laboratories, end enough liquid to keep the heat on; it makes quite clear to ask, that why the impact isn't so effective?
In subsequent days I wish that the tide is turning. But to be realistic, there are no signs of that. To win the whole game You must be something superior, not an opponent with excuses.
Old 7 Mar 2004, 17:00 (Ref:897208)   #13
Thorstone
Veteran

Thorstone should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Reliability of McL

Quote:
Originally posted by Laitinen
Some of the difficulties You pointed out are right, point blank. The Mercedes engine has been down on power and the real engine develpment is also down since the tragic death of Ilmor founder Paul Morgan in a 2001 plane crash.
And it looks also Mercedes could never fully recover from the berilium ban
Old 7 Mar 2004, 17:45 (Ref:897241)   #14
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
That particular move was not at the very corner the McLaren expired, but just before. I think it is likely the engine was on the way out. Especially as it seemed to just be a loss of speed down the straight that was the reason the Sauber found it so easy to get alongside.

There is nothing from the team on this so far:
Quote:
Norbert Haug
Kimi's engine failure will be investigated and we will tell the media the result afterwards."

McLaren post race press release: http://f1.racing-live.com/en/headlin...07081507.shtml