Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 13 Mar 2010, 06:15 (Ref:2650803)   #26
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveGT6 View Post
Hi Mike,

Bit confused by all this! Trying to get the Falcon into the HSCC race but no entry forms on site yet so how can HSCC be sending forms out to accepted competitors yet? Also got the TVR in for the GD but Masters say they won't be doing anything with entries until end March so again how does that work???
Hi Dave- have sent you pm.
Old 17 Mar 2010, 09:13 (Ref:2654038)   #27
Peter Horsman
Racer

Peter Horsman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Have I missed soemthing, or is there no pre-war race this year?
Old 17 Mar 2010, 12:38 (Ref:2654150)   #28
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
There is no Pre War race.
Prats!
Old 17 Mar 2010, 20:56 (Ref:2654503)   #29
FMS
Rookie

FMS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

No FIA Historic formula one either - I thought I had seen Silverstone on their web site at one point but now not there and not on the SilvClassic web site either.
Old 19 Mar 2010, 17:53 (Ref:2655820)   #30
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
A couple of pieces of info from an email I received from the event :

The early bird ticket offer ends on the 31st March ( on the day prices are quoted as Friday £40, Saturday and Sunday £50 each day )

and the music line-up on Friday/Saturday evening features "Dr Feelgood, The Yardbirds
and Rick Parfitt Jnr. "
Old 19 Mar 2010, 17:59 (Ref:2655832)   #31
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not exactly 'Scrapping the Barrell' then!
Old 19 Mar 2010, 18:20 (Ref:2655859)   #32
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by brands View Post
A couple of pieces of info from an email I received from the event :

The early bird ticket offer ends on the 31st March ( on the day prices are quoted as Friday £40, Saturday and Sunday £50 each day )
Good grief! IIRC 2005 was less than £20 on the day.

Quote:

and the music line-up on Friday/Saturday evening features "Dr Feelgood, The Yardbirds
and Rick Parfitt Jnr. "
I would have thought Robert Zimmer-Man would have been more appropriate that Mr. Parfitt Jnr.
Old 19 Mar 2010, 22:17 (Ref:2656064)   #33
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
I would have thought Robert Zimmer-Man would have been more appropriate
Old 20 Mar 2010, 08:46 (Ref:2656257)   #34
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
and Rick Parfitt Jnr. "
Dr Feelgood are a tribute act, no original member left ( we supported them at a festival a few years ago and got a better response)

Keith Relf is dead, I doubt Jimmy Page will turn up. you probably wouldn't want Clapton to!
Old 20 Mar 2010, 09:21 (Ref:2656272)   #35
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
having said that, they'll be good entertainment value and quite appropriate
Old 20 Mar 2010, 11:56 (Ref:2656346)   #36
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post
they'll be good entertainment value and quite appropriate
Is that because there are no original components left?
Old 20 Mar 2010, 12:48 (Ref:2656376)   #37
The Flagman
Racer

The Flagman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Or because they are "Continuation" bands!
Old 20 Mar 2010, 14:02 (Ref:2656412)   #38
Rudernst
Veteran

Germany
Hamburg
Rudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FMS View Post
No FIA Historic formula one either - I thought I had seen Silverstone on their web site at one point but now not there and not on the SilvClassic web site either.
Good news,
no HFO but GPM, I think, pre 74

I have entered my new toy, a March 721, and have been accepted.

Rudolf
Old 20 Mar 2010, 14:43 (Ref:2656448)   #39
SAMD
Veteran

SAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post

Keith Relf is dead, I doubt Jimmy Page will turn up. you probably wouldn't want Clapton to!
I am intrigued (nosey) why would one not want Clapton to turn up?
I always assumed he was pretty cool.

Last edited by SAMD; 20 Mar 2010 at 14:45. Reason: I forgot somefink
Old 20 Mar 2010, 18:17 (Ref:2656721)   #40
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
I hadn't considered the replica/continuation issue when I posted . . . .

Clapton is not the best guitarist in the world, Jeff Beck he most certainly 'aint . . he's been very successful however and hats off to him for that, talent and success rarely go hand in hand, just watch TV!
Old 20 Mar 2010, 23:47 (Ref:2656932)   #41
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Top Tenuous claim to fame No 1:

Jeff Beck (whom I still have enormous respect for) abandonned his Corvette (or Camaro?) outside Gooses record shop in Maidstone when I was a pimply yoof and me & me mates kept the traffic warden talking long enough for him to drive off without a ticket. YOU OWE ME ONE, JEFF!

Top Tenuous claim to fame No 2:

I once came across JB & EC jamming in a local pub, appropriately named the Who'd a Thought It?

Well, would you?
Old 21 Mar 2010, 10:17 (Ref:2657106)   #42
FMS
Rookie

FMS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudernst View Post
Good news,
no HFO but GPM, I think, pre 74

I have entered my new toy, a March 721, and have been accepted.

Rudolf
and that's good but my main interest is '78 - '81 and GPM doesn't cover that. Last year they were accepting post '78 cars but this seems to have been taken off their web site this year
Old 21 Mar 2010, 20:27 (Ref:2657404)   #43
DaveGT6
Veteran

England
Langford, Beds.
DaveGT6 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am presuming that the Silverstone Classic is the heir to the old Coys International. I used to be a regular spectator at the Coys festival back in the day. I always had an ambition to race at that festival and I guess that is what has driven my recent involvement in getting an Fia K reacecar. Now that I am in a position to enter the Silverstone Classic I am getting concerned that it is a sad shadow of what it used to be. I've never been to the Silverstone Classic so am I going to be dissapointed? I have submitted my entry but is worth the fee? I have memories of Spitfires flying overhead, Jazz bands playing at the Scarf and Goggles, hot air balloons, the great and the good racing in pre-war and post war classics. From the comments relating to the music alone I am worried. Santana and the Pussy Cat Dolls I can live with. Having (in my youth) shared the stage with Lee Brilleaux I can't reconcile with the headline entertainment being a Dr Feelgood tribute band.
Old 21 Mar 2010, 20:33 (Ref:2657414)   #44
Moosehead
Veteran

Moosehead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dave, I did most if not all the Coys (and Christies before) events, usually staying there from Thursday onwards as we found we needed all the 3 main days to see everything.

I have also done most of the recent 'Classics'. We have found we only ever need 1 day at the Classic! Enough said?
CSCC Swinging Sixties #128 Red/Black Mustang
Old 21 Mar 2010, 20:42 (Ref:2657421)   #45
rogerwills
Veteran

New Zealand
London
rogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
As a competitor I still think it rates up there as one of the top meetings of the year. I also believe it is a great event for spectators, one of the best in the UK.
Old 21 Mar 2010, 20:47 (Ref:2657425)   #46
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
West Hampstead, North London
White flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWhite flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
As a marshal I certainly agree with what Roger says. Shame the Group Cs or HFOs won't be there this year, but I'm sure it will still be good, as long as there aren't so many midges on post
Old 21 Mar 2010, 21:13 (Ref:2657444)   #47
DaveGT6
Veteran

England
Langford, Beds.
DaveGT6 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ok, good mixed response. So from a spectator's viewpoint (Wayne) it ain't as good as the old festivals were, from a marhall's POV it's as good as any and from the great and the good (Roger) it's worth a punt? Really only Goodwood to compare with as far as UK historic festivals go and that's a completley different animal. I suspect it wont have the ambience that the old'90's festivals had but I guess I'll give it a go (if I get an entry). Maybe I'll bring my guitar along and show the Dr Feelgood tribute band how to to play the songs!
Old 21 Mar 2010, 21:38 (Ref:2657455)   #48
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
One of best annual meetings despite no Pre War Sports car race which looking at the History of the Meeting is a mistake as a festival should cover a wide variety of years and there is really no room for races like that stupid Mini race last year.
Old 21 Mar 2010, 21:50 (Ref:2657466)   #49
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
West Hampstead, North London
White flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWhite flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston View Post
there is really no room for races like that stupid Mini race last year.
Hopefully, John, a mistake well learnt.
Old 21 Mar 2010, 22:56 (Ref:2657507)   #50
The Flagman
Racer

The Flagman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What made the Coys Festivals different was the level of participation from car clubs and families. I think I flagged every one without fail.

Sunday morning there was no racing - just Track Parades. Most of these were at relatively high speed and were good fun for all involved until a chap got over-excited and totalled a Ferrari doing himself not a lot of good. Attendance was huge. I could entertain friends and family as they loved it. The Classic is not the same and family will not come.

The quality of the racing was enhanced by many overseas vistors. It is still a worthy racing event but doesn't have the international depth it once had. Don't think it will ever match up to the mainland European events again. Other meetings have come along and swelled the calendar and in turn diluted the content. This was pre Goodwood Revival.

It is probable that the dilution has gone further this year in an attempt to find participants capable of filling 48 car grids so the track doesn't look/feel empty. Pre-War replaced by Historic Road Sports - I'd be concerned as its just not memorable enough eg Roddy Cohn's Lagonda being thrown sideways through old Abbey by Martin Stretton will stay with me forever - what a way to drive future father-in-laws car!

The ticket prices look steep - work out the cost for a family for a weekend and realise where the problem lies. I enjoyed 2009 because I flagged the night race then strolled across the track to Santana. Magic!
And Delta was like Robin Hood with his merry friends......

See you all in July.