Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 12 Jan 2001, 21:06 (Ref:58207)   #1
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The words of Niki Lauda:

“Formula 1 is going in the right direction and more and more people are watching,” he said. “But the FIA must make sure the races are interesting. If they are boring, then people will fall asleep and the interest will drop off again. Boring races would be a big problem for Formula 1. It needs more overtaking, because that’s what spectators want to see.”

Is he right? I certainly think he is. And I am sure everyone would agree with him, except for Max Mosely who in the past has given us exciting things like grooved tyres and narrow body cars.

Bernie and Max know how to improve the sport, but they will not listen to the fans. It seems safety and money are more important than exciting racing.

Opinions Please?
Old 12 Jan 2001, 23:44 (Ref:58239)   #2
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
has it taken to january 2001 for niki lauda to realise this .....lets hope that bar and williams can catch ferrari and mclaren and at least que up behind them, otherwise it could be another nail biting season (not)
Old 13 Jan 2001, 16:26 (Ref:58299)   #3
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Welcome to the Forum, DNQ.
I certainly agree with Lauda's comments. Certainly Bernie has done alot to increase interest in the sport around the world, and that interest seems to still be growing. But I would contend that that interest cannot be sustained if the races become processional, offer no passing and the same limited cast of characters win all the races.

I will say though that without the money, the sport wouldn't be thriving, and without the improved safety, it would be a pretty grim spectacle.
Old 13 Jan 2001, 16:49 (Ref:58301)   #4
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Do you know what driver had the most succesfull overtaking manouvres in 2000(65 to be exact)???:

:::

Jos Verstappen!!

Old 13 Jan 2001, 17:28 (Ref:58302)   #5
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I guess Old Niki is a regular visitor of our forums... and he is only expressing our opinion to the media. The question is if that will make any difference.
I believe that Jos made all those overtaking, at least half of them in wet conditions. So, when the level of the cars get almost the same by race conditions, we can see who is the real drivers.
Old 14 Jan 2001, 22:18 (Ref:58518)   #6
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I say let Niki Lauda take Murray's job when he goes. Lauda always knows all the pitlane gossip and during the really boring racing he could fill us in on who is doing what with whom.

But if people who fall asleep don't turn off their televisions, it still counts as if they are watching, so what's the difference?
Old 15 Jan 2001, 00:48 (Ref:58537)   #7
Neil C
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Nations
People's Republic of Ann Arbor, Michigan
Neil C should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Since Niki has resigned from his position at Lauda Air, your suggestion is quite appropriate, Liz.
Old 15 Jan 2001, 03:34 (Ref:58553)   #8
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think he'd be a trenchant commentator. But he'd probably p*ss off the ITV blokes big time.

Sudden thought: Lauda and Jacques in the broadcast booth. Oh, is there a race? These guys are so funny!!!!!!!!