Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 7 Feb 2005, 13:56 (Ref:1219392)   #1
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Speed Cameras...

Why is it that when you approach a speed camera yet driving within the speed limit, the car (or cars) in front of you slow to a speed much lower than the speed limit?

For instance, I drive through two speed cameras on the way to the station each morning. Both are in a 30mph zone, and yet the cars in front of me this morning slowed to 25mph whilst going through the 'camera zone'. This happens day after day after day and is most annoying!
Old 7 Feb 2005, 13:59 (Ref:1219395)   #2
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Because they don't know what the speed limit is half the time. I only just missed someone once who was doing 35 in a 40, and then did an emergency brake to 28 for the camera. I was just about to overtake hime when he did it, and boy did it catch me by surprise. I've sort of got used to it now, so I'm more prepared just to nip round them as they hit the brakes.
Old 7 Feb 2005, 14:10 (Ref:1219408)   #3
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
When I did my MAC Driving Course last year, the ex police driving instructor gave me a useful tip. If you are driving in a built up area and there are no speed limit signs on the lamp-posts, you are in a 30mph zone. All other limits have repeater signs every so often.
Old 7 Feb 2005, 14:23 (Ref:1219422)   #4
Mackmot
Veteran

United Kingdom
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Mackmot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think that people who do not drive at the speed limit unless there is something stopping them from doing so (a tight corner for instance) do not know how to drive and are not confident enough to drive so should be penalised as much as someone who is speeding. I think its a two way thing are accidents involving speed, usually it is because someone is driving too fast to react to someone who is driving too slow and unpredictably.
Old 7 Feb 2005, 14:54 (Ref:1219454)   #5
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
I agree wholeheartedly. I get so miffed at the 'pension brigade' who drive along at much less than the speed limit, often 30mph in a 40mph zone, and when you flash them they get all aeriated and abusive.
Old 7 Feb 2005, 14:55 (Ref:1219456)   #6
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Green
When I did my MAC Driving Course last year, the ex police driving instructor gave me a useful tip. If you are driving in a built up area and there are no speed limit signs on the lamp-posts, you are in a 30mph zone. All other limits have repeater signs every so often.
You should have known that anyway. It's in the Highway Code (rule 103).
Old 7 Feb 2005, 15:27 (Ref:1219480)   #7
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
I agree wholeheartedly. I get so miffed at the 'pension brigade' who drive along at much less than the speed limit, often 30mph in a 40mph zone, and when you flash them they get all aeriated and abusive.
Much worse are the numpties who drive at 40mph in a 60mph zone and then continue at 40mph through a 30mph village.
Old 7 Feb 2005, 15:29 (Ref:1219482)   #8
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Brand
You should have known that anyway. It's in the Highway Code (rule 103).
Highway Code...Blimey Dave, when I took my driving test it was about four pages thick, the only way of slowing traffic was to have the man walk in front of the car with a red flag.
Old 7 Feb 2005, 15:44 (Ref:1219491)   #9
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Is that how you two got into marshalling then?
Old 7 Feb 2005, 16:36 (Ref:1219535)   #10
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
They've done away with most fixed speed cameras here,they now have them in unmarked vans that can park anywhere.
Old 7 Feb 2005, 16:43 (Ref:1219541)   #11
Mackmot
Veteran

United Kingdom
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Mackmot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I heard a great excuse for one of those vans the other day. Those vans have a guy who points a laser thing at the car to see its speed and then someone else pulls them over. My mate was pulled over and when they asked, 'do you know what speed you were doing,' he said 'I would have been lucky if I could have seen anything at all, let alone the speedo, some idiot was pointing a laser in my eyes,' and it worked, they let him off.
Old 7 Feb 2005, 19:21 (Ref:1219700)   #12
Steve Wilkinson
Veteran

United Kingdom
Southport
Steve Wilkinson is a back marker
Now then nipper!

Quote:

Stephen, I feel somewhat miffed that you should be so badly let down by the educational establishment that you so recently left.

For your information I usually find it is some still wet behind the ears little oik in mummy's car who holds me up!

As for speed cameras I like the concept of slash and burn
Old 7 Feb 2005, 23:20 (Ref:1219859)   #13
Dutch chap
Veteran

European Union
Holland
Dutch chap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In Holland you get fined € 250 when the police finds a radar detector in your car.
" " " " " " " for speeding.

I'm happy with my detector.
Old 8 Feb 2005, 01:34 (Ref:1219918)   #14
Slippy Diff
Veteran

New Zealand
UnZud
Slippy Diff should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armco Bender
They've done away with most fixed speed cameras here,they now have them in unmarked vans that can park anywhere.
And he means anywhere!! ALL DAY on a clear, free flowing motorway. We also have more unmarked cars than you could shake a stick at and hordes of marked cars containing policemen that were unable to pass the entrance exams to become real policemen.
Old 8 Feb 2005, 01:43 (Ref:1219926)   #15
BlueBlood
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland NZ
BlueBlood should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slippy Diff
And he means anywhere!! ALL DAY on a clear, free flowing motorway. We also have more unmarked cars than you could shake a stick at and hordes of marked cars containing policemen that were unable to pass the entrance exams to become real policemen.
A new favourite trick is to place the unmarked van with the hidden camera down the road from the fixed camera on the pole.
Slow down for the one you know is there, speed up once you are past it and flash, another donation to the government.

you wouldnt mind so much if they spent the money on the roads, instead of welfare and treaty claims.
Old 8 Feb 2005, 01:47 (Ref:1219928)   #16
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Y'know, I don't think I will emigrate to NZ after all...
Old 8 Feb 2005, 01:53 (Ref:1219931)   #17
Slippy Diff
Veteran

New Zealand
UnZud
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBlood
A new favourite trick is to place the unmarked van with the hidden camera down the road from the fixed camera on the pole.
Slow down for the one you know is there, speed up once you are past it and flash, another donation to the government.

you wouldnt mind so much if they spent the money on the roads, instead of welfare and treaty claims.
They could spend some on driver education as well. A start would be to pull over and educate those that are driving incorrectly. A bit of lane discipline would not go amiss, as would showing some people where the indicators are. Riding a motorcycle in Auckland is like Russian roulette. How are drivers supposed to be aware of their surroundings and other cars/drivers if they are constantly staring at the speedometer to make sure that they don't stray over the limit????
Old 8 Feb 2005, 02:13 (Ref:1219938)   #18
Slippy Diff
Veteran

New Zealand
UnZud
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxy mole
Y'know, I don't think I will emigrate to NZ after all...
It's not all bad. I'm off to the Coromandel this weekend to do this www.seakayaktours.co.nz No speed cameras out there
Old 8 Feb 2005, 03:29 (Ref:1219962)   #19
BlueBlood
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland NZ
BlueBlood should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slippy Diff
It's not all bad. I'm off to the Coromandel this weekend to do this www.seakayaktours.co.nz No speed cameras out there
Go easy through the Maramarua area slippy, you don't want to be the 40th victim of that road in recent times.
Old 8 Feb 2005, 03:50 (Ref:1219970)   #20
Slippy Diff
Veteran

New Zealand
UnZud
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBlood
Go easy through the Maramarua area slippy, you don't want to be the 40th victim of that road in recent times.
Will do.
Old 8 Feb 2005, 11:55 (Ref:1220263)   #21
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'm going to move this into the Road Car forum and leave a redirect here.

There.

A few more can see it here, and it fits here. And it might introduce a few more people to the road car forum...

Last edited by garcon; 8 Feb 2005 at 11:58. Reason: thread moved
Old 8 Feb 2005, 17:55 (Ref:1220622)   #22
Bluebottle
Veteran

United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Bluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by garcon
A few more can see it here, and it fits here. And it might introduce a few more people to the road car forum...

Ooooh, ta!

Last edited by Bluebottle; 8 Feb 2005 at 17:56.