Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 12 Sep 2016, 19:19 (Ref:3671949)   #1801
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!
Ginetta didn't drop their P3. And the ACO didn't allow Ginetta into P2.

Did you read the article at all?
Old 12 Sep 2016, 21:28 (Ref:3671967)   #1802
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I did. Ginetta didn't cover themselves with glory with the LMP3. Had it been better then they may have been granted a P2 license. It wasn't reliable, the build quality was poor and teams complained of support issues. It didn't paint them in a good light for a LMP2 program.

But the LMP3 was almost completely dropped. They don't even list it as a current vehicle on their website (http://www.ginetta.com/cars.php). The article also didn't really say much about future LMP3 plans. Some of the cars will run in the British Prototype series. Very good, but what we really want to know is if they'll ran in the big boy leagues. That wasn't really answered and the question about the future turned into a bragging paragraph about how great the car is. For a car they haven't dropped, they seem remarkably quiet about it.

I know it's not cool to rag on Ginetts, and it's a shame because I do love the G40/G50. But the LMP3 was a bit of a bodge job and was clearly rushed to get it out before anything else. It's a shame because now nobody wants to run them.
Old 12 Sep 2016, 22:05 (Ref:3671975)   #1803
Bcarr6
Veteran

Bcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
For the record, the expected entry for AsLMs this year is pretty strong. Let's hope they materialise

Oh and also lets hope they actually have good coverage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 13 Sep 2016, 00:56 (Ref:3671999)   #1804
Ospi
Veteran

Ospi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridOspi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Last season they spoke of live streaming for aslms this season but they could be full of hot air. They have also shot themselves in the foot by scheduling the first round a week after elms which makes it impossible for elms teams to run their cars for the first round. The series has potential, but only if they stop pointing the gun at their own head.
Old 13 Sep 2016, 11:51 (Ref:3672064)   #1805
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
ORECA have dumped Brembo for AP Racing after a series of problems.

http://www.dailysportscar.com/2016/0...ng-issues.html
Old 13 Sep 2016, 12:11 (Ref:3672071)   #1806
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I suspect they'll be allowed to change that despite homologation issues, based on safety grounds. Can't have a bunch of cars out on track with questionable braking systems.
Old 13 Sep 2016, 12:14 (Ref:3672073)   #1807
J Jay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Manchester
J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!
Brembo have been dumped faster than headphone sockets on smartphones it seems.

Can't say I have any issues with the quick switch, clearly there is a big problem with at least one batch at Brembo.
Old 13 Sep 2016, 13:01 (Ref:3672092)   #1808
Japanese Samurai
Veteran

Japan
Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!
It seems that Brembo has a problem about supply of compound of carbon brake.
Brembo has also the trouble which couldn't supply "2015 spec" brake pad compound to Japanese Super Formula this year.
Super Formula changed brake bland from Brembo to Hitoco due to this trouble.
Old 13 Sep 2016, 13:20 (Ref:3672098)   #1809
J Jay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Manchester
J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!
Thanks for that JS. The hole deepends for Brembo.
Old 13 Sep 2016, 18:03 (Ref:3672180)   #1810
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Granted, this is a thread for LMP2, but in LMP1 and both GTE classes (for sure GTE Pro), I don't think that there's a restriction that the calipers and rotors have to come from the same supplier.

For instance, Audi and Porsche both use Brembo calipers, but they could be using Brembo, Hitco, AP or Carbon Indistrie rotors. And for pads, you can add to those mentioned brands like Performance Friction, Raybestos, Willwood, and others. Some teams in F1 or LMP900/LMP1 have been know to use the same brand of calipers, but different rotor/pad combinations on different cars or for different tracks due to driver preference or performance characteristics.

Granted, the ACO don't want that to happen in LMP2 due to trying to keep car and maintenance costs down. But does LMP2 have a rule that caliper/pads and rotor supply have to be from the same company or can they mix/match brands prior to homologation for the season?
Old 13 Sep 2016, 21:06 (Ref:3672221)   #1811
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
Granted, the ACO don't want that to happen in LMP2 due to trying to keep car and maintenance costs down. But does LMP2 have a rule that caliper/pads and rotor supply have to be from the same company or can they mix/match brands prior to homologation for the season?
From article 12.4 of the 2016 LMP2 technical regulations...

Quote:
Only one model of brake disk, pad and calliper will be homologated for each model of car.
My take on that is that outside of some other technical requirements (max rotor diameter, max number of caliper pistons, etc.), they don't care about mix and match between "suppliers", but rather that one combo (one "model" of each component) is homologated. I would assume per the comments above that they can re-homologate a new solution based upon safety. I also assume that means the old homologation will be withdrawn. So everyone moves to the new spec.

Richard
Old 13 Sep 2016, 21:26 (Ref:3672229)   #1812
Ospi
Veteran

Ospi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridOspi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well I hope the old homologation isn't withdrawn, because it's a major unexpected expense to dump on teams, particularly in elms with only 2 rounds remaining and some haven't had even an inkling of an issue with the package.
Old 13 Sep 2016, 21:51 (Ref:3672234)   #1813
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ospi View Post
Well I hope the old homologation isn't withdrawn, because it's a major unexpected expense to dump on teams, particularly in elms with only 2 rounds remaining and some haven't had even an inkling of an issue with the package.
I am only speculating on the withdrawal. I don't know how these things work. I would assume that if you have to make a case based upon safety that you may not then be allowed to keep the old homologation in place (especially if the part in question was so dangerous it should be immediately withdrawn).

But there might be extenuating factors such as you mention. Especially if the failure is not pervasive. They may allow continued use of the old for a short period of time (end of 2016 season??) If someone has insider or direct knowledge of how this process works, please speak up. I assume this is not the first time something like this has happened and that precedents exist for how to proceed.

Richard
Old 14 Sep 2016, 00:06 (Ref:3672249)   #1814
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
MoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
I am only speculating on the withdrawal. I don't know how these things work. I would assume that if you have to make a case based upon safety that you may not then be allowed to keep the old homologation in place (especially if the part in question was so dangerous it should be immediately withdrawn).

But there might be extenuating factors such as you mention. Especially if the failure is not pervasive. They may allow continued use of the old for a short period of time (end of 2016 season??) If someone has insider or direct knowledge of how this process works, please speak up. I assume this is not the first time something like this has happened and that precedents exist for how to proceed.

Richard
It's model not make. The issue is that the rotors are wearing improperly one one side, and nobody seems to know why. The caliper pressures are even, the pads have been okay, but the discs aren't. And it's unilateral. I've talked with a friend at AP, who are in a roundabout fashion owned by Brembo, and they've not seen similar issues. Hitco, while small, may find things tough as it usually takes 9 months to get things prepped. I'd bet, they(for lack of a better term) will cobble together a package that fits the dimensions of wheels, and such. The hard part is going to get capliper mounting brackets built and distributed to the teams.
“We’re trying to close the doors without embarrassing ourselves, the France family and embarrassing (the) Grand American Series,” he said in the deposition. “There is no money. There is no purse. There’s nothing.”
Old 14 Sep 2016, 02:35 (Ref:3672256)   #1815
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
If AP Racing is owned by Brembo, then why wouldn't the ACO claim that they're parts from the same company aside from brand name? Also odd how the main company is having issues with LMP2 brakes, but a division owned by them isn't.

And on the Indy Car deal, until Brembo came in with the DW12, Indy Car used steel rotors, and only switched to carbon/carbon brakes with the DW12. Also, the Brembo brake package in that series was built to a price. Could that be part of the issue with the LMP2 brake rotors?
Old 14 Sep 2016, 06:07 (Ref:3672269)   #1816
Ospi
Veteran

So the info I recieved is that the brembo package is no longer homologated and all 05 teams must change to the AP package at their own expense (25 to 35k euro). No word on whether the teams will be compensated. Ouch.
Old 14 Sep 2016, 11:12 (Ref:3672305)   #1817
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
MoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
If AP Racing is owned by Brembo, then why wouldn't the ACO claim that they're parts from the same company aside from brand name? Also odd how the main company is having issues with LMP2 brakes, but a division owned by them isn't.
AFAIK, AP is under the Brembo umbrella, but, that's it. They maintain their own manufacturing, and everything else.

Quote:
And on the Indy Car deal, until Brembo came in with the DW12, Indy Car used steel rotors, and only switched to carbon/carbon brakes with the DW12. Also, the Brembo brake package in that series was built to a price. Could that be part of the issue with the LMP2 brake rotors?
Doubtful. I think this is a pure quality control problem.
“We’re trying to close the doors without embarrassing ourselves, the France family and embarrassing (the) Grand American Series,” he said in the deposition. “There is no money. There is no purse. There’s nothing.”
Old 14 Sep 2016, 11:32 (Ref:3672310)   #1818
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Was this not a thing all the way back in 2014? Oak/G-Drive had continued problems with the brakes on the Ligier and it ended up costing G-Drive the championship IIRC when a brake failed. I seem to recall that being Brembo as well, and a continued problem.
Old 14 Sep 2016, 17:34 (Ref:3672379)   #1819
bentley speed 8
Veteran

Sri Lanka
bentley speed 8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbentley speed 8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
Was this not a thing all the way back in 2014? Oak/G-Drive had continued problems with the brakes on the Ligier and it ended up costing G-Drive the championship IIRC when a brake failed. I seem to recall that being Brembo as well, and a continued problem.
You mean that crash at Interlagos? I was going to post about this as well, but was not sure whether it was a brake issue.
Old 14 Sep 2016, 19:29 (Ref:3672389)   #1820
blankfile
Racer

blankfile should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I remember some interview with rusinov, he was pretty livid about those damn brembo brakes back when g-drive was with onroak
Old 15 Sep 2016, 09:07 (Ref:3672507)   #1821
Irie
Racer

Irie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentley speed 8 View Post
You mean that crash at Interlagos? I was going to post about this as well, but was not sure whether it was a brake issue.
Hadn't they a problem also at Bahrain that cost them the championship?
Old 23 Sep 2016, 18:43 (Ref:3674590)   #1822
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Ehh I don't know, the new Onroak looks more... bulby... narrower at the same time... I don't know how that works

Oh and because of the ever continuing "everybody needs to win" attitude of course, how about another meaningless sub class
http://sportscar365.com/lemans/elms/...s-lmp2-format/

But at least there won't be one (I think) at LM
Old 23 Sep 2016, 19:01 (Ref:3674592)   #1823
Damian Baldi
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Damian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDamian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDamian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Maybe it's the picture.

It looks nice here

http://www.endurance-info.com/fr/plu...igier-js-p217/

Old 23 Sep 2016, 19:08 (Ref:3674595)   #1824
bentley speed 8
Veteran

Sri Lanka
bentley speed 8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbentley speed 8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I like it, those headlights look good
Regarding the new class, well the new LMP2s will certainly be a tad faster than the current cars, so I don't really see a problem with it (and it won't be around for long anyway)
Old 23 Sep 2016, 19:22 (Ref:3674600)   #1825
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
Oh and because of the ever continuing "everybody needs to win" attitude of course, how about another meaningless sub class
http://sportscar365.com/lemans/elms/...s-lmp2-format/

But at least there won't be one (I think) at LM
More like the people who pay the bills aren't buying the new toys so it's either 2016 cars or fewer cars than they thought. Bad enough with a 2 or 3 car LMP1 subclass but their new 'cost controlled' class being small too? And they can't let the 2016s 'win' so separate class.