Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 22 Jul 2020, 19:14 (Ref:3990253)   #176
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
I'm intrigued by rule t): t) Drinking fluid for the driver may be added at any time, however, the capacity of the container for any such fluid must not exceed 1.5 litres. What happens if it's a over by milliliter, DSQ?
Easy solution to this problem.... Homologated water bottles! This keeps team from having to spend budget on independent water bottle development. No more exotic materials, secret pressurized systems to deliver water faster. Does the size of the pipe from the bottle to the driver's mouth matter? Can you store extra water in this pipe? Should a flow meter be installed?

The you have the question of what exactly does "Water" mean?!? Are they talking pure distilled water? Mineral water? What mineral or electrolyte content is allowed? Is sports drinks allowed? Next will be the requirement that team will need to submit samples of the water before each race to ensure it is "water".

Richard
Old 22 Jul 2020, 19:18 (Ref:3990256)   #177
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
How do you get it to hold more than its capacity, Mr Feynman?
There could be excess in the tube that conveys the liquid to the driver, or indeed the container, though appearing to contain 1.5 liters, might contain slightly more because there was a fault in the manufacturing process.
Old 22 Jul 2020, 19:31 (Ref:3990260)   #178
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Surely Red Bull don't have water in their water bottles......
Old 22 Jul 2020, 19:33 (Ref:3990261)   #179
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Rich Energy?
Old 22 Jul 2020, 19:42 (Ref:3990262)   #180
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
You clearly discovered Ferrari's secret last year. Water bottles full of fuel. During qualifying drivers will just swig a mouthful and then spit it into the air intake to increase engine performance.

Richard
Old 22 Jul 2020, 19:53 (Ref:3990263)   #181
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
So simple, so ingenious.....
Old 26 Jul 2020, 05:04 (Ref:3990793)   #182
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Good analysis of Bottas' jump start.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ipQheRkOy0

Bottas is anticipating the lights.

In drag racing there is a minimum reaction time to the lights, and if you are under the reaction time when the lights change then you are deemed to have red lighted.

F1 needs to take a look at this practise and stamp it out.
Old 26 Jul 2020, 14:21 (Ref:3990864)   #183
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I’m not sure why? They have a rule and are applying it consistently. It’s not damaging the racing. We don’t have this making much difference to the racing.

Would there be a difference in the racing? Maybe a tiny difference in variation in people’s starts? Maybe more penalties? I doubt there would be much difference if they just moved the tolerance point.

I know everything F1 does must automatically be wrong, but why change? Stamp it out makes it sound like it’s some major corruption within the sport.

Although if they did I’d be fine with that too as it really doesn’t matter.
Old 26 Jul 2020, 14:59 (Ref:3990874)   #184
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
And there is no way you will 'stamp out' anticipation on any grid, anywhere.....
Old 26 Jul 2020, 16:10 (Ref:3990889)   #185
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
And there is no way you will 'stamp out' anticipation on any grid, anywhere.....

No, but the FIA could mandate that all F1 cars should be fitted with an electronic widget that only permitted the clutch to engage (which is also electronically controlled) at a time in sync with the red lights going out.

Not that I am advocating such a system, but I'm sure that it could be done.
Old 26 Jul 2020, 17:38 (Ref:3990903)   #186
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
No, but the FIA could mandate that all F1 cars should be fitted with an electronic widget that only permitted the clutch to engage (which is also electronically controlled) at a time in sync with the red lights going out.

A good idea Mike (great to know you're now on the mend), but I think that could lead to the drivers just waiting for this to kick in so that they all start at exactly the same time thanks to the widget.
Old 26 Jul 2020, 18:25 (Ref:3990905)   #187
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Isn’t that a driver aid?
Old 26 Jul 2020, 18:31 (Ref:3990906)   #188
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
A good idea Mike (great to know you're now on the mend), but I think that could lead to the drivers just waiting for this to kick in so that they all start at exactly the same time thanks to the widget.

Thanks Viv.

But the widget and system could easily be set up on the same basis as the red lights, with varying delay settings. And the driver wouldn't be allowed any visual notification that the clutch was operable until the widget "opened" the clutch. Not too dissimilar to the old start programmes of the past, but in reverse so to speak.

Everything is run through the ECU anyway, so it's not beyond the wit of the FIA, or possibly McLaren who manufacture the ECUs for F1, to engineer the system. Not that I advocate the idea necessarily.
Old 26 Jul 2020, 18:50 (Ref:3990907)   #189
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:

My objection is that would away the human element.
Old 26 Jul 2020, 18:55 (Ref:3990908)   #190
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Quote:

I don't disagree for one moment; it is/was just my response to Ayse's post that you couldn't stop drivers from anticipating the start.
Old 26 Jul 2020, 20:20 (Ref:3990918)   #191
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
Shows an incredible level of preparation that the RBR mechanics had the parts ready and adjusted to just slap on and go racing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
I think it's the standard preparation of all the front-running teams to have parts ready to put on the car in the event of damage.

I'd be more surprised if they didn't have parts ready. Once the car is set up for Q, then the team know all of the settings and can prepare the spares appropriately. The impressive part (IMO) is the speed with which the work was completed.
Standard for professional teams and not just in F1 either. You'll find that F3, touring car, sports car etc etc teams all do the same thing.

Once the car setup is locked, all spare suspension components etc are adjusted to be the same as the parts on the car, so that in the event of a minor shunt, the parts can be replaced without the need get the car onto a setup plate again.
Old 26 Jul 2020, 21:24 (Ref:3990926)   #192
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
I would agree entirely.

To me, as much as possible, everything that happens should be human initiated but technology should be used as much as possible to monitor/review those human actions.

In the case of the start, everything that happens to the car I would prefer to be the result of a human action. How that is monitored can use as much technology as you can come up with. Provided the outcome is the technology telling you whether the driver started to accelerate from their grid slot before the lights went out or not.
Old 26 Jul 2020, 21:33 (Ref:3990927)   #193
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
I don't disagree for one moment; it is/was just my response to Ayse's post that you couldn't stop drivers from anticipating the start.
I guess I should have added - if the ability to anticipate it is available to them.....
Old 27 Jul 2020, 01:52 (Ref:3990945)   #194
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
I would agree entirely.

To me, as much as possible, everything that happens should be human initiated but technology should be used as much as possible to monitor/review those human actions.

In the case of the start, everything that happens to the car I would prefer to be the result of a human action. How that is monitored can use as much technology as you can come up with. Provided the outcome is the technology telling you whether the driver started to accelerate from their grid slot before the lights went out or not.
Just review the start through the on board cameras, and if you have jumped it, drive through penalty.
Old 27 Jul 2020, 02:17 (Ref:3990946)   #195
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Or have a sensor in the car and track? Much simpler and doesn’t require a human to look at each one. The accuracy is one frame with a camera.

20 different cars with 20 cameras all not in sync. means some have a frame advantage over others. The transponders have a much greater sample rate.

The way they do it now every single car has exactly the same timing and tolerance. Doing it by amera would be a backward step to something less accurate.
Old 27 Jul 2020, 02:54 (Ref:3990947)   #196
Richard C
Veteran

Lots of ideas to solve a problem that really isn't a problem. Which sounds very "F1" in the end.

Richard
Old 27 Jul 2020, 03:29 (Ref:3990949)   #197
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
At the risk of appearing like an ignoramus, Horner said Max put the car in the fence because he was "synchronising 8th gear". Can someone enlighten me a little more about this as I have heard it a couple of times lately where they are "synchronising the gearbox"..
Old 27 Jul 2020, 11:35 (Ref:3991013)   #198
wnut
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
Or have a sensor in the car and track? Much simpler and doesn’t require a human to look at each one. The accuracy is one frame with a camera.

20 different cars with 20 cameras all not in sync. means some have a frame advantage over others. The transponders have a much greater sample rate.

The way they do it now every single car has exactly the same timing and tolerance. Doing it by amera would be a backward step to something less accurate.
Fair point.

The sampling rate though clearly needs a tighter tolerance so the camera feeds don't prove it to be inaccurate.
The tolerance should also provide a stationary period for reaction time to prevent anticipating the start.

I think that the wording of the jumped start rule should also allow a jumped start to be determined from any of the feeds available to the officials.

Failing the rules changing, can we expect the drivers to line up well back in the grid box and anticipating the lights?

I am sure there will be drivers who would be giving this a lot of thought in the face of this ambiguity, particularly if they are well down the grid and had a good chance of achieving a significant advantage.

The risks of the above scenario are pretty clear.
Old 27 Jul 2020, 13:42 (Ref:3991035)   #199
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I think what they have to detect false starts is fine. Let’s face it we’ve had wrong calls in this area in the past. I think that they need that leeway as drivers don’t always gain an advantage.

For me I’ve seen more blatant jump starts. Bottas hardly did much, just moved forward in his grid box, but not over it, hardly a crime and if anything lost more by starting late to make sure he was stationary when the lights went out. In my view the system is fine and we’ll hopefully be able to not over punish things
Old 27 Jul 2020, 14:02 (Ref:3991044)   #200
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
I think that they need that leeway as drivers don’t always gain an advantage.
But who gets to decide that?

Sure Bottas didnt gain an advantage for himself but other drivers had to react to his mistake and potentially his team mate was able to get away from the pack more cleanly as a result.

With all due respect, an equal application of the rules is required in sports where as allowing someone to decide what should be punished or not, again with respect, is more akin to how professional wrestling works.

Advocating an unequal or arbitrary application of the rules is contrived imo..just saying.