Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > A1GP

Old 17 Mar 2009, 18:47 (Ref:2417639)   #76
ford prefect
Racer

United Kingdom
Wellingborough
ford prefect should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, THAT'S a reliable source then! I'll be believing the "some guy down the pub told my mate" news everytime.
Old 17 Mar 2009, 19:17 (Ref:2417655)   #77
Sid The Manager
Racer

Sid The Manager should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
we'll see
I have other contacts confirming it, but I can't name them
Old 17 Mar 2009, 20:45 (Ref:2417743)   #78
littleman
Veteran

littleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridlittleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I hope you're wrong Sid but must admit it wouldn't come as any surprise.For the record, Danny Watts doesn't bring a penny to the team. He drives for absolutely nothing because he just loves to race and get's a patriotic buzz from representing his Country.Good on him I say!
Old 17 Mar 2009, 20:57 (Ref:2417748)   #79
Mak
Veteran

Mak should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Magnusson View Post
Since when has Danny Watts been able to bring any great sums of money to a ride?
No one said Danny was paying!

Think there may be several teams not involved next year if they cannot find funding. Also would imagine several well funded teams having second thoughts after this years problems. I really hope that A1 can turn things around as it is a great concept and should have been capable of being finacially viable if run properly. It will be an uphill struggle.
Old 18 Mar 2009, 03:02 (Ref:2417965)   #80
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
Kiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pessimism again.

It would not surprise me if suppliers were chasing the team for money as it is not self funding and is backed up by A1GP no? There are constant rumours of suppliers chasing A1GP and the series about to implode, to the extent that the rumours are fashionable. However each time crisis is averted, and schedule reductions aside it pulls through. I honestly believe it's just a case of Tony Teixeira stretching cashflow as much as he can without it falling over, which is what many businesses in many fields are doing. However on the big stuff (Ferrari, new Algarve facility) he is plowing on ahead and I believe has the resources to continue doing so.

Perhaps any problems with suppliers chasing team GBR will disappear the night before the Brands Hatch round just as many other things seem to get solved at the last minute?
Old 18 Mar 2009, 07:17 (Ref:2418020)   #81
Sid The Manager
Racer

Well I'd rather be wrong and see GBR out there
Old 18 Mar 2009, 12:22 (Ref:2418211)   #82
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
Mystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Personally I take SidTM's comments fairly seriously, as I have a vague recollection of contacts within A1GBR itself from season 1?? Maybe?? No need to confirm on deny but just my recollection and my rationale for being quite worried.
Old 18 Mar 2009, 13:47 (Ref:2418264)   #83
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
realistically, you have to say that a business that was struggling in favourable economic times (ie 18 months ago) has little chance of making it past the next few months. so regarding sid's information, i remain cautiously optimistic that they'll find some backing but realistic about the state of the world.
Old 19 Mar 2009, 02:53 (Ref:2418878)   #84
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
Kiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't doubt Sid's info either. Actually I'd be surprised if suppliers were not chasing them. I just can't see Brands going ahead without a GBR entry, so suspect A1GP will prop it up, at the last minute if necessary, and maybe not before more rumours and speculation.

Perhaps a total re-evaluation of the GBR franchise might be necessary before next season however.
Old 19 Mar 2009, 05:18 (Ref:2418916)   #85
Mak
Veteran

Mak should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi3 View Post
I don't doubt Sid's info either. Actually I'd be surprised if suppliers were not chasing them. I just can't see Brands going ahead without a GBR entry, so suspect A1GP will prop it up, at the last minute if necessary, and maybe not before more rumours and speculation.

Perhaps a total re-evaluation of the GBR franchise might be necessary before next season however.
I think there is a lot of propping up going on, and not the least, the propping up A1 it self, by those few teams who are finacially independant and there seat holders! I don't think that they are happy about it either!
Old 19 Mar 2009, 10:35 (Ref:2419136)   #86
Andrew Volcker
Rookie

Andrew Volcker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think there have definitely been some issues surrounding the team but that's just motorsport at the moment. I do think there will need to be some serious problems addressed for the series to survive for next season though, and I hope they do because as Massa said, 'It's a great format'! Regards to GBR's apparent financial position, I think this is all just speculation. I'm sure all the teams have re-evaluated their current financial position and no-doubt stretched their payments and cash-flow, but this doesn't mean they're about to fall over. The rumors I've heard are they've already got some great sponsors lined up for 2009/10.
Old 19 Mar 2009, 15:47 (Ref:2419400)   #87
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Volcker View Post
The rumors I've heard are they've already got some great sponsors lined up for 2009/10.
Hope so. You mean A1GP generally or team GBR or other teams?
Old 20 Mar 2009, 09:41 (Ref:2420062)   #88
spider
Veteran

England
London
spider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridspider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The PR surrounding the team just isn't strong enough to generate interest on anything like a decent scale, on these shores. When A1 was launched, nigh-on everyone i know had heard of the series, the turn-out at the first event was astonishing, for a new series. The message of 'all the cars are the same' worked a treat, but now...well, hardly anyone remembers the series.

The likes of Ant Davidson should be in the car. I mean, surely that's got to be a better option for him, than sitting at home doing nowt all season?! He'd at least bring a bit of pedigree to the mix, and with his wife Carrie's PR expertise, surely they could build the team around him and raise his, and the teams profile a bit!? Danny Watts really isn't the answer, regardless of how quick he may be...Robbie Kerr certainly wasn't either, but at least he became symbolic of the A1 team.

They need to attract someone who's either got LOADS of money, is blindingly quick, or has a huge personality. I don't see that any of the current drivers really tick those boxes...
Old 20 Mar 2009, 09:58 (Ref:2420073)   #89
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jonathan Palmer should take over the team, at least he knows how to market things. Put the winner of the FPA series into the seat (or the Autosport Yound Driver of the year award) & make it a step on the career progression ladder? JP is probably busy with F2, though!
Old 20 Mar 2009, 10:33 (Ref:2420093)   #90
spider
Veteran

England
London
spider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridspider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Andy, that would be ideal, though i'm sure he's a tad tied-up. Not a big JP fan, on a personal level, but on a professional one he's defo a sharp cookie. That would raise interest in the series too. At the moment, going from one fill-in to another isn't giving the team any chance of building its image in the UK.

I was a big fan of A1 in seasons 1-3, but my own interest is waning. It's been a farcical season.

Interested to hear what the new cars sound like up-close...rubbish, i'm guessing.
Old 20 Mar 2009, 12:43 (Ref:2420186)   #91
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by spider View Post
The likes of Ant Davidson should be in the car. I mean, surely that's got to be a better option for him, than sitting at home doing nowt all season?!
Except, of course, he'll be sat in the 5Live commentary box at Grand Prix all season

I see your point though, the difficulty is finding anyone who meets all the criteria. Die-hard fans know the background to Danny Watts, Robbie Kerr - so the name is of little significance to them. Names that everyone will know are extremely limitied - I can't see Nigel Mansell returning to racing anytime soon either!

There did seem to be a lot more publicity in previous years though - see the Manchester demonstration runs. Stuff like that really did build the profile, probably more so than a 'big' name, but I suppose it's costly (vicious circle)...
Old 20 Mar 2009, 19:41 (Ref:2420440)   #92
RichardRenes
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam
RichardRenes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Having a big name did help here in Holland though
Old 20 Mar 2009, 23:15 (Ref:2420605)   #93
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
The things you learn from Twitter... Someone, who had better remain nameless, wrote: "about to check an A1GP GBR pitch...", so don't give up hope yet.
Old 21 Mar 2009, 10:31 (Ref:2420825)   #94
RichardRenes
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam
RichardRenes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
oh fill us in please
Old 26 Mar 2009, 14:23 (Ref:2425297)   #95
Sid The Manager
Racer

more news

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford prefect View Post
Well, THAT'S a reliable source then! I'll be believing the "some guy down the pub told my mate" news everytime.

http://www.accountancyage.com/accoun...-british-motor
Old 26 Mar 2009, 15:01 (Ref:2425326)   #96
Kebab
Racer

Kebab has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Just a few days after Katie Clements was saying in the press that GBR would be Ok, the company is in administration?!!?
Old 26 Mar 2009, 15:02 (Ref:2425327)   #97
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
Well I guess the search for a new seatholder just got all the more urgent!

It seems A1GP are not entirely propping up particular franchise holders, although as Brands is coming up presume they will need to prop up the GBR entry.
Old 26 Mar 2009, 21:42 (Ref:2425575)   #98
kerrmanningjarv
Veteran

England
London
kerrmanningjarv should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well hopefully we can get some better people on-board for season 5 and beyond... the commercial side of the GBR team has always worried me and sponsors are thin on the ground every year. No wonder we have a cash-flow problem!

Especially in a recession.
Old 26 Mar 2009, 22:28 (Ref:2425611)   #99
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
The way I understood it, Tony Clements was the original seat-holder (stupid expression) together John Surtees. Then Surtees withdrew and TC ran the show for a while before handing over the reins to his daughter, Katie, presumably to see if she could make a go of it. The answer seems to be no, although I don't blame anyone for not succeeding in the present economic climate.

It's just a very great shame.
Old 27 Mar 2009, 03:28 (Ref:2425819)   #100
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
I guess it would/will be difficult for anyone to find sponsors unless it's televised free to air.