Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 27 Jul 2001, 16:22 (Ref:122646)   #1
Hobson
Veteran

England
Notts, UK
Hobson should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHobson should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Top Gear - Lotus Cortina MK1

Did anyone see the piece on Lotus Cortinas on Top Gear?

There was some very good footage of Jim Clark in a MK1, a Mercedes spinning and a Mini proving why motorsport uses roll cages today.

Nice MK1 on minilites though, does anyone know if it was lowered?
Old 27 Jul 2001, 17:09 (Ref:122660)   #2
Yimkin
Racer

Yimkin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Top Gear - Lotus Cortina MK1

Quote:
Originally posted by Hobson
Did anyone see the piece on Lotus Cortinas on Top Gear?

There was some very good footage of Jim Clark in a MK1, a Mercedes spinning and a Mini proving why motorsport uses roll cages today.

Nice MK1 on minilites though, does anyone know if it was lowered?
Yep I saw it. The film of Clark was very good - but what circuit? The merc was spinning coming out of Druids at Brands, but I didn't see the mini.

As for the content, well! For something trailed as a 'Lotus Cortina buyers guide' it appeared to consist mostly of a fawning appreciation of an old criminal. <chirpy cockney> well he might have been involved in a major robbery which resulted in the death of a guard, but ee loved 'is mum and knew a decent car when he saw one' </chirpy cockney>

Also, no mention whatsoever of A frame models and their subsequent replacement, an assertion that *all* Mk.1's had alloy bonet/boot/doors, and we are also told that the presence of the 'bubble' in the boot to clear the axle is the only thing you can use to spot a genuine model.....

Very poor for a 'buyers guide'!

P.S. I'm 99% certain the one on minilites was lowered
Old 28 Jul 2001, 13:19 (Ref:123001)   #3
Hobson
Veteran

England
Notts, UK
Hobson should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHobson should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm sure that the Jim Clark footage was Graham Hill bend, again at Brands Hatch.

I thought the 'feature' of the Buyers guide was OK, except for the criminal. Pointless apart from the fact that a Cortina was used.

Top Gear also did something like this a while back when they were doing a piece on 60's, 70's and 80's cop and robbers cars (eg Ford Granada, Jaguar MK2 etc). Why don't they just talk about the cars, not the crimes.
Old 30 Jul 2001, 20:41 (Ref:123999)   #4
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
I want one!!
Old 31 Jul 2001, 10:27 (Ref:124241)   #5
Yimkin
Racer

Quote:
Originally posted by Craig Antill
I want one!!
I just so happen to know of a race one for sale at the mo'.....
Old 1 Aug 2001, 12:21 (Ref:124714)   #6
Stacy
Veteran

Australia
Stacy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridStacy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Yimkin

I just so happen to know of a race one for sale at the mo'.....
Go on..
Old 1 Aug 2001, 14:14 (Ref:124760)   #7
Yimkin
Racer

Quote:
Originally posted by stacy

Go on..
Hmm, I'm a bit low on details to be honest. Its owned by a friend who raced with us in the HRSR. Last time I saw him it was still for sale, although that was a month or so ago. Its also eligible for Top Hat etc. Its bl**dy quick as well!

I believe it has a fresh engine, and comes with a large spares package. He's looking for around 20K (NB. The Cortina which won last years championship recently sold for 30k!). An all round very nice car, in beautiful condition.

If anyone's interested, mail me and I'll give you his phone number.
Old 1 Aug 2001, 15:14 (Ref:124779)   #8
Stacy
Veteran

Australia
Stacy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridStacy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Yimkin
He's looking for around 20K (NB. The Cortina which won last years championship recently sold for 30k!). An all round very nice car, in beautiful condition.

If anyone's interested, mail me and I'll give you his phone number.
Thanks, I'm always on the lookout for a decent race car - but at that money I'd build one myself.

Hope he gets rid of it.

Stacy
Old 6 Aug 2001, 13:23 (Ref:126600)   #9
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Is it an FIA car?
If so I would like more details. On a similar vein can anyone tell me why the Belgian yellow and silver FIA Lotus Cortina for sale at Spa Top Hat meeting cpl weeks ago was so cheap?
thanks
Old 7 Aug 2001, 05:43 (Ref:126947)   #10
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Welcome to the forum Simon. Before moving on can I direct your attention to our forum rules so that you can enjoy yourself as much as possible.

Sorry I can't answer your question but maybe others can. Were you racing at Spa, there as a team member or spectating? Could you tell us about it please?

I'm eager because this is the first year in the last five that I haven't raced at this meeting. I'm not doing this again though.
Old 7 Aug 2001, 12:03 (Ref:127084)   #11
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
it is my first time sorry if I broke any rules. I was racing in Barry Sideways Smith's one hour and the Top Hat one hour and pit crewed for some friends in the Gentleman drivers race. I have an Alfa Gulia Sprint GT which I am also racing at Silverstone Historic Festival.
Spa was everything that I had been led to believe, Thunder storms one minute and glorious sunshine the next. Barry's race was a big grid and etiquette of some drivers a little rough but great fun and Top Hat was, as always, great close class racing. Given that I run a 1600cc steel bodied car my 18/34 starters (30 finishers) was in line with expectations. However as before I was beaten by Lotus Cortina's so hence the interest in reasonably priced FIA cars. It was tiring and weekend just passed (one week later) fair number of us where back out at Castle Combe for HRSR/HSCC meeting.
I think that the Top Hat series is great racing and am pleased to see HSCC are starting to follow suit and add longer races. What class do you normally race in?
Old 8 Aug 2001, 04:11 (Ref:127413)   #12
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Simon,

No rules broken at all. I always invite peeps to have a look at them though.

I race a Capri in the CSCC Group 1 Touring Cars Championship. I know Barry Sideways very well (who doesn't?). It was unfortunate that my work and leave schedules couldn't allow me to race at Spa this year.

We took part in a French saloon race one year and it took about six months for the pain in my neck to subside. It was caused by being sideswiped by a French Mustang whilst I was waving him through. I agree the european etiquette is somewhat lacking at times.