Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Track Day Forum

Old 23 Feb 2011, 21:44 (Ref:2835890)   #1
PTRACER
Racer

England
Romford, Essex, U.K.
PTRACER should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hiring a car for Nurburgring trackday

I'm planning a driving trip into Europe this Easter and was hoping to hire a car to take around the Nurburgring for a couple of laps to show a friend who doesn't "get" motorsport why I like it so much.

The only problem is that all the exciting cars require you to be 25 or older. I've already got a UK national racing license and was wondering whether this would be enough to convince them to let me drive a Meganesport R26 or a Golf GTI.

If not, is there somewhere where I can rent a car that's slightly more exciting than a 130bhp Suzuki Swift?
Old 23 Feb 2011, 23:08 (Ref:2835914)   #2
pierre_ch
Rookie

Switzerland
Zürich
pierre_ch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Try to call these guys: http://www.rent-racecar.de
They have a nice range of cars. Yes, you're supposed to be older than 25, but try to call/email them to check.

BTW, a Swift is definitely a lot of fun on the Nordschleife too!

BTW2: do you know the Nordschleife?
Old 24 Feb 2011, 01:11 (Ref:2835953)   #3
PTRACER
Racer

England
Romford, Essex, U.K.
I've never been there, but I can visualise a lap in my head.
Old 24 Feb 2011, 07:58 (Ref:2836014)   #4
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Haha, and that is why you need to be over 25!

I booked a Swift earlier this month, was easy as pie, I ahve never been there but booked the car all day inclusive of laps, fuel and hire for under 550 quid.

That way I can learn at my own speed. And I am taking people with me too. I am hopinh to do a slow old lap with my Dad before we get the car! AS a passenger

If you go withy full respect you will be alright, just dont go there thinking you know it lack the back of your hand coz you have doine a zillion laps in GT4!

Dont show off, dont be tempted too! Don't race people, and don't start getting cocky, as if you wreck, you will have to pay hundreds for recovery and even more to the track for lost open track time if you wreck bad!
Old 24 Feb 2011, 08:48 (Ref:2836037)   #5
pierre_ch
Rookie

Switzerland
Zürich
I'm with chunder on this.

Trying to get a fast car for a first trip of the Nordschleife in order to impress someone else is the perfect recipe for a day with a bad end...
Old 24 Feb 2011, 09:52 (Ref:2836077)   #6
Andy77
Veteran

Andy77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If you come over for the Easter weekend I'd suggest taking the trip to Zolder as it ain't that far from Nürburgring and the WTCC rumbles around there
Old 1 Mar 2011, 05:47 (Ref:2838278)   #7
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by PTRACER View Post

Certainly not from video games Paul, it takes quite a few laps to be able to do that. Video might give a rough idea as to where the circuit goes but it really doe's tend to flatten everything out a lot .Memorising the blind crest's where you need to brake and those where you dont,turn in points etc etc,its a bloody long lap.
DONT try to impress ANYONE,it could hurt!!!!!!!!
Old 1 Mar 2011, 15:03 (Ref:2838454)   #8
josvandeperre
Veteran

England
Central London
josvandeperre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I used rentracecar's 316 for two days and it was only halfway through the second I wanted more power

This was the video I prepared with http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0p0v3nDoCAU
Old 13 Mar 2011, 21:36 (Ref:2845194)   #9
PTRACER
Racer

England
Romford, Essex, U.K.
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower View Post
Certainly not from video games Paul, it takes quite a few laps to be able to do that. Video might give a rough idea as to where the circuit goes but it really doe's tend to flatten everything out a lot .Memorising the blind crest's where you need to brake and those where you dont,turn in points etc etc,its a bloody long lap.
DONT try to impress ANYONE,it could hurt!!!!!!!!
What I mean to say is I know when it goes left and when it goes right! Not necessarily the lines, the braking points etc.
Old 13 Mar 2011, 22:00 (Ref:2845212)   #10
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Presumably a seat in the 'Taxi' with the likes of Sabine Schmidt would be good fun, and helpful on lines also..
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 13 Mar 2011, 23:38 (Ref:2845268)   #11
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Presumably a seat in the 'Taxi' with the likes of Sabine Schmidt would be good fun, and helpful on lines also..
That unfortunately is history, since although BMW say it will ocntinue this year, Sabine is banned due her criticism of the new management. Some details on BTG. I also heard Ron Simons' RSR outfit are currently not operating.

Last edited by MGDavid; 13 Mar 2011 at 23:43.
Old 14 Mar 2011, 17:02 (Ref:2845650)   #12
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by PTRACER View Post
I think I can visualise exactly how far you'd get round that lap in an R26!

I would check very carefully, particularly the small print of the hire car insurance. Unless you plan to insure yourself somehow (prohibitively expensive I would have thought).

You want to be pretty confident they're not going to send you the bill when you hand them their car back in a box.
Old 14 Mar 2011, 17:13 (Ref:2845663)   #13
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
or when you hand their car back at all. they're not numpties when it comes to hiring cars for a couple of laps...

regarding the age limit, VERY difficult to get them to change that since it's usually a condition with their own insurance company. for them to let you have it would either cost you a huge wallet dint or for them to allow you to drive uninsured. i'm on a trade policy that operates similarly and nobody under the age of 25 is allowed to drive anything bigger than a 2 litre.

take your own. it's so much more fun in the context of your own car. plus then you have the offical right to have the nurburgring sticker on it rather than just being a fanboy
Old 15 Mar 2011, 17:53 (Ref:2846349)   #14
Andy77
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
....take your own. it's so much more fun in the context of your own car. plus then you have the offical right to have the nurburgring sticker on it rather than just being a fanboy
LOL ... I still remember my first own lap in my first own car. Just a 45 PS Golf 2 but enough to give me nearly a heartache when I came over the top of the Karussell with one side of the car a moment too early and then got sent towards the right hand armco at the exit of Karussell over the wet tarmac

Old 16 Mar 2011, 15:49 (Ref:2846878)   #15
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
ahaha! i think we all remember our first "hang on, the armco isn't meant to be coming towards me" moment

basically it's pub bragging rights. you can't throw up the opposite lock gesture (mind your pint) without it being your own car. i dunno, there's a kind of pride with it being your car as well, especially if it's not a hot hatch or something. you *have* to have a picture of your own car in the car park inamongst all the serious cars

i got overtaken by a mother having a go round on her way back from the school run with her kids in the back once - they must have been naughty or something
Old 18 Mar 2011, 11:40 (Ref:2848051)   #16
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think there is some honour in going round one's own car! But a 1.4 60hp Fabia is not really my idea of getting to Germany or enjoying a day!

So I am travelling with my Dad, renting a Swift for the day and am goin g to give it cautious beans!
Old 18 Mar 2011, 17:22 (Ref:2848235)   #17
smokystove
Racer

United States
BERLIN, GERMANY
smokystove should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
PTRacer, personally, having done the Ring a few times on classic (non-race) events...I'd never do the Touristenfahrt (tourist drive). But that's just me.

It's a free-for-all with too many knuckleheads and also you have the motorbikes to contend with as if the Schumi-wannabees weren't enough.

Perhaps a much better bet to book with a reputable trackday organization that is having a day on the Nordschleife.

The benefits would be: limited number of cars, no bikes, driver etiquette enforcement(!!!), and also if you're in your own car you should be able to get reasonable insurance for the day through the organization in the event it should go horribly wrong.

In any case unless you're a pro, there's plenty to scare the **** out of you there without having to drive anything fancy.

IMHO only thing video is good for is memorizing corners where the tourists always crash, something can be learned there
Old 18 Mar 2011, 21:26 (Ref:2848504)   #18
pierre_ch
Rookie

Switzerland
Zürich
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokystove View Post
PTRacer, personally, having done the Ring a few times on classic (non-race) events...I'd never do the Touristenfahrt (tourist drive). But that's just me.
No, it's not just you. I race there in the VLN series, and completely agree with you.
Just in case, here's a list of trackdays being held at the Nordschleife.
Old 20 Mar 2011, 21:53 (Ref:2850260)   #19
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
To be honest, we are not all made of money, so this is all most can afford.
Old 22 Mar 2011, 07:07 (Ref:2850997)   #20
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid View Post
That unfortunately is history, since although BMW say it will ocntinue this year, Sabine is banned due her criticism of the new management. Some details on BTG. I also heard Ron Simons' RSR outfit are currently not operating.

Ron has unfortunately folded the business so I'm told.
Old 22 Mar 2011, 07:12 (Ref:2850999)   #21
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy77 View Post
LOL ... I still remember my first own lap in my first own car. Just a 45 PS Golf 2 but enough to give me nearly a heartache when I came over the top of the Karussell with one side of the car a moment too early and then got sent towards the right hand armco at the exit of Karussell over the wet tarmac

Just one of the many surprise's waiting to be enjoyed!
Saw a car with a fake Nurburgring sticker the other day,in the center of the 'map' were the words 'Neverbeen'.
Old 22 Mar 2011, 09:24 (Ref:2851056)   #22
Andy77
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower View Post
Just one of the many surprise's waiting to be enjoyed!
Saw a car with a fake Nurburgring sticker the other day,in the center of the 'map' were the words 'Neverbeen'.
Old 23 Mar 2011, 10:47 (Ref:2851759)   #23
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
i don't agree with the doom mongering about the uhh clientele of the tourist days. i tend to go early in the year and late in the year and both times i've had the entire circuit to myself. in december there were a maximum of 2 cars in the car park, and they were both there when i got back. granted, if you go on a weekend when there's an event next door or the weather is nice you'll have to fight with the bikers and the local bunch of nutcases but it's hardly drama unless you're hiring a special car in which case you're daft not to go on a proper trackday!

another variant of the 'ring sticker is the m25 ring, iirc there's a m60 ring one too

(btw thanks chunder - "cautious beans" is now a firm fixture in my vocabulary )
Old 23 Mar 2011, 14:11 (Ref:2851883)   #24
smokystove
Racer

United States
BERLIN, GERMANY
smokystove should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
i don't agree with the doom mongering about the uhh clientele of the tourist days. i tend to go early in the year and late in the year and both times i've had the entire circuit to myself. in december there were a maximum of 2 cars in the car park, and they were both there when i got back. granted, if you go on a weekend when there's an event next door or the weather is nice you'll have to fight with the bikers and the local bunch of nutcases but it's hardly drama unless you're hiring a special car in which case you're daft not to go on a proper trackday!

another variant of the 'ring sticker is the m25 ring, iirc there's a m60 ring one too

(btw thanks chunder - "cautious beans" is now a firm fixture in my vocabulary )
Agreed it can be very empty those times of the year (of course there's always the chance that it's closed as well keep in mind) and it is a large circuit so it's possible to feel like you have it to yourself and enjoy when it's relatively quiet. But he is planning on coming over in April and we are just now starting to have good weather for the first time in 4-5 months... precisely when the nutcases come out of their slumber from underneath their VW Polos
Cautious beans is a good one!
Old 23 Mar 2011, 15:42 (Ref:2851918)   #25
graeme
Veteran

United Kingdom
Macclesfield
graeme should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I believe most hire car firms (Avis, Hertz, etc) specifically exclude you from using them at the 'Ring. I'd also comment that you don't particularly need a powerful car 'round the 'Ring - in fact, its a liability...