Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 12 May 2017, 19:42 (Ref:3733056)   #51
stripedcat
Veteran

stripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridstripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Guy View Post
Maybe... the story about Vettel to Mercedes was leaked by the Vettel camp to improve Vettel's bank balance for 2018? Maybe?
Apparently, it was from a source close to Niki Lauda. It certainly does seem strange that Ferrari has no drivers signed for next year.
Old 12 May 2017, 23:42 (Ref:3733090)   #52
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by stripedcat View Post
Apparently, it was from a source close to Niki Lauda. It certainly does seem strange that Ferrari has no drivers signed for next year.
Ferrari can pretty much have their pick of drivers. The lure of the red overalls is very strong, especially if they're on an upswing. I think Vettel will stay, and Sainz would be a very smart pick to partner him.
Old 13 May 2017, 03:13 (Ref:3733115)   #53
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
F1Guy User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by stripedcat View Post
It's a non-story. Vettel will be at Ferrari for 2018.

What's the chances of Alonso joining Vettel at Ferrari next year? I think FA would do a marginally better job than KR.

Last edited by F1Guy; 13 May 2017 at 03:18.
Old 13 May 2017, 22:21 (Ref:3733295)   #54
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
High praise indeed.
Old 13 May 2017, 23:43 (Ref:3733303)   #55
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
I doubt a return is on the cards, and the Spaniard can't handle a competitive teammate. He'll stick it out at McLaren, go back to Renault or quit F1.
Old 14 May 2017, 07:13 (Ref:3733333)   #56
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
It's a non-story. Vettel will be at Ferrari for 2018.

What's the chances of Alonso joining Vettel at Ferrari next year? I think FA would do a marginally better job than KR.
A marginally better job than KR?! I think you may want to change that to a marginally better job than Vettel (at least)
Old 14 May 2017, 07:41 (Ref:3733336)   #57
cds_uk
Veteran

England
Kesgrave, Suffolk, UK
cds_uk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
A marginally better job than KR?! I think you may want to change that to a marginally better job than Vettel (at least)
100% with you there chunt.
Old 14 May 2017, 07:58 (Ref:3733339)   #58
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
Sarcasm on my part. 100% agree with you there. I think if FA was in the Ferrari now he would be giving the Mercedes boys much more to worry about than Vettel.

On the subject of FA to Ferrari, apparently there was an approach from the FA camp. No further talk beyond that.
Old 14 May 2017, 18:13 (Ref:3733452)   #59
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Aboutiboul waffling on about Alonso on gp.com, Utterings such as Fernando is part of the Renault family, has he still got commitment to F1, he knows where they are, and them being happy to continue development with Hulk and Palmer.

He does talk some bobbins that bloke!
Old 18 May 2017, 10:17 (Ref:3734233)   #60
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
The next big rumour to hit the streets is, Max Verstappen possibly going to Ferrari for 2018. I'm guessing here that Max will have to wait until near seasons end before activating a get out clause he has on his contract which is based on Red Bull's performance. It's the only way he can end his contract with Red Bull.
Old 18 May 2017, 11:59 (Ref:3734245)   #61
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Verstappen would be a great coup for Ferrari, but - I fear - they will be looking for a compliant number two if and when Räikkönen leaves. I wish Ferrari would sign two absolutely top-line drivers, but history suggests otherwise. They haven't since Prost/Mansell. Maybe that's a little harsh on Barrichello, who at another team might have been a number one and perhaps World Champion, but he was unlucky enough to be paired with one of the best drivers the world has ever seen.
Old 18 May 2017, 17:35 (Ref:3734304)   #62
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I just hope Seb doesn't throw his toys out the pram at the prospect
Old 22 May 2017, 21:47 (Ref:3735356)   #63
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

In the last 25 years Ferrari have always had name drivers if not always topliners as BSf says. That might be due to Marlboro's requirements though?

How much weight does Marlboro carry in this decision making compared to Marchione?
Old 24 May 2017, 08:55 (Ref:3735624)   #64
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
Quote:
Rumours currently in circulation:

1) Sauber to sign an engine deal with Honda.
2) Alonso to Renault next year.
3) Raikkonen won't get another year at Ferrari.
https://www.motorsportweek.com/news/id/14748

Hmmm.. maybe not then. Or is AP just being his usual political self?
Old 24 May 2017, 12:20 (Ref:3735656)   #65
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
I think Prost is calling it as it is. If you look at Renault's performance so far this year, it would be astonishing, given stability in the rule book, if they were suddenly winning races next year, let alone challenging for the championship. All of that said, unless Honda improve, Renault might be Alonso's best available option - can't see the door being open at Mercedes, Ferrari or Red Bull.
Old 24 May 2017, 17:19 (Ref:3735708)   #66
RWill2073
Veteran

RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!
I've been dreaming about a Fernando Alonso to mercedes, Hamilton to Ferrari alongside vettel scenario last couple days myself....

Speaking of which, if you're alonso, wouldn't you do nothing but one year deals from here on out? He's got such bad luck picking teams that if I was him, I'd want to be able leave if the next team I went to turned up bad. Hell, if I was him, I would sign a one year deal with McLaren with an out at midseason in case a team like Renault did turn out to be competitive. I'm sure Renault would drop Palmer for Alonso midseason. I just know if Alonso leaves McLaren they'll instantly turn up competitive. And if he stays they'll continue to blow engines every third lap.
Old 24 May 2017, 19:09 (Ref:3735732)   #67
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
https://www.motorsportweek.com/news/id/14748

Hmmm.. maybe not then. Or is AP just being his usual political self?
Alain managing expectations all round whilst clearly indicating without actually admitting it that Renault want Alonso.

Bit more truthful than Lauda's recent quote methinks.
Old 27 May 2017, 06:15 (Ref:3736285)   #68
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
And here's another guy who should get into politics post F1. Christian Horner says DR and MV have no get out clauses in their contracts.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-mot...-idUKKBN18M2HT

I don't believe that DR's and MV's contacts are as "clean" as CH says they are.

As much as I'd like to see either of the RedBull drivers take on Vettel at Ferrari, I don't think it will happen, next year. Maybe Max would. If Ferrari offer MV a contract as SV's wing man for 2 years, then it's game on, I could see MV agreeing to it. He has time on his side. But I cannot see DR signing that contract at all.
Old 27 May 2017, 08:15 (Ref:3736295)   #69
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

What we need is for Renault and Mclaren to step up a level. That would give top drivers a few more options!
Old 27 May 2017, 15:12 (Ref:3736392)   #70
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
And here's another guy who should get into politics post F1. Christian Horner says DR and MV have no get out clauses in their contracts.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-mot...-idUKKBN18M2HT

I don't believe that DR's and MV's contacts are as "clean" as CH says they are.
i assume CH and Helmet Marko are getting tired of being asked questions about their drivers futures but they are beginning to sound like their drivers are more indentured labourers to the RB brand...i wonder if this approach will hurt them when it actually comes time to resign.

also some irony in that article as well....they feel like their drivers contracts are ironclad while taking every opportunity to undermine their engine contract....it begs the question of how much stock do they actually place in contracts?

lack of success/progress will do this but this does not sound like a happy team environment at the moment.

Red Bull will make you angry!
Old 1 Jun 2017, 07:51 (Ref:3737883)   #71
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
Is Giovinazzi being readied for a seat at HAAS F1 next year?

https://www.haasf1team.com/news/anto...s-haas-f1-team
Old 1 Jun 2017, 11:13 (Ref:3737909)   #72
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:

Or is it Ferrari pushing to get him more seat time and benching Sauber as they're switching to Honda lumps?
Old 1 Jun 2017, 13:11 (Ref:3737924)   #73
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

Who might he replace? I generally am a Grosjean fan, but he seems to hot and cold over the course a race weekend. At the same time Magnussen has been slower than Grosjean, but he doesn't seem to bring as much weekend drama.

Richard
Old 1 Jun 2017, 16:56 (Ref:3737961)   #74
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Part of me wishes Ferrari would be radical and replace Räikkönen with Giovinazzi, but I don't think they're that brave.
Old 2 Jun 2017, 06:09 (Ref:3738056)   #75
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
Who might he replace?
Reading the Haas F1 press release, I thought it was quite obvious.