Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > NASCAR & Stock Car Racing

Old 26 Mar 2002, 14:27 (Ref:244445)   #1
Joe Fan
Veteran

Joe Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJoe Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
A good question for the NASCAR forum

I have a friend who is a road racer and a big Formula One fan and he was upset by reading a comment in the Chicago Tribune that "Tomas Scheckter is the son of 1979 Formula One Champion Jody Scheckter."

The Formula One Driver Champion has always been called the "World Driver Champion" and he feels annoyed that perhaps the American media is slighting Formula One. Formula One was created in 1950 when there was no World Sports Car championship, no World Rally Championship,and no CART series. Basically, there was USAC/AAA Indy Car racing but it was purely American and NASCAR wasn't the 800lb Gorilla it is today because it was justing starting out and only a regional national sport.

With this in mind, do you think his beef is legitimate or is it time for the title to be renamed or referred "Formula One Driver Champion" since the FIA sanctions World Rally and since CART, the IRL, NASCAR and various other sports car series all fall under FIA World Motorsport governing body.
Old 26 Mar 2002, 14:47 (Ref:244452)   #2
Flintstone Flyer
Rookie

Flintstone Flyer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No!

I am not a big fan of F1 but I do like it. I agree it is a World Championship as they do race all over the world. Unless a driver has a manufacturer behind them they don't have a team.

The technology, money and skill far out weigh any other type of racing in the world.

Shuey gets paid around 86 million to tour the world and win.

The american automotive manufacturers can't touch these guys.

Stock Car racing belongs in the Southern region of the US. I tend to believe the costs of NASCAR can't keep up for much longer. The teams and Sponsors are not getting the bang for their buck like they did 10 years ago. Unless the networks change how they promote the sport and namely the sponsors of these cars, I think the sport will slow over the next couple of years and close a few of the venues they now travel .
Old 27 Mar 2002, 03:21 (Ref:244878)   #3
Ax Slinger
Veteran

United States
The Lost Coast
Ax Slinger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You gotta be kidding... With NASCAR's TV ratings what they are now, which is the highest they have ever been, I'd say the sponsors are getting more than they were 10 years ago. I disagree that there will be any slowdown, specially since not only are they getting the best TV ratings they've ever had, but races are sold out every week.

As far as the F1 thing... I think calling Champion of a particular series a Series Champion makes perfect sense to me. Of course, I may have watched too much Star Trek and am now too logical.
Old 27 Mar 2002, 13:24 (Ref:245121)   #4
Flintstone Flyer
Rookie

Flintstone Flyer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ratings

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim B
You gotta be kidding... With NASCAR's TV ratings what they are now, which is the highest they have ever been, I'd say the sponsors are getting more than they were 10 years ago. I disagree that there will be any slowdown, specially since not only are they getting the best TV ratings they've ever had, but races are sold out every week.

As far as the F1 thing... I think calling Champion of a particular series a Series Champion makes perfect sense to me. Of course, I may have watched too much Star Trek and am now too logical.
As far as the ratings go we only see what gets scored here in the states.

There are less and less sell outs at the cup races today than 5 years ago. Look at Charlotte, Darlington, Rockingham, Atlanta, MArtinsville. All have tickets available for their races.

FOX will not show nor mention the sponsor unless the buy commerical time or happen to be leading the race. In days gone by the entire package was mentioned "The Junior Johnson #11 Budweiser Chevy driven by Darrell Waltrip" they are instructed not to do so now.

And the field of cars entering the race are dwindling. Nascar is having to ask teams to show up to make a 43 car field. 10 to 16 million $$ per year per car is getting tougher and tougher to come by.

Those are my logical points.

Last edited by Flintstone Flyer; 27 Mar 2002 at 13:27.
Old 31 Mar 2002, 02:38 (Ref:247787)   #5
The Beer Baron
Veteran

The Beer Baron should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Flintstone flyer,

Those tracks added more seats, so they draw bigger crowds, and probably charge more for tickets
Also you're right about the spnsorships, it costs more to sponsor a car, & there are more hidden costs like the TV advertising as you mentioned.

I dont think f1 is the only championship, so it doesn't qualify to be called the world championship!
not every driver capable of driving/wining is in F1, also F1 is about the cars not the drivers!
Old 1 Apr 2002, 01:01 (Ref:248554)   #6
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
i think it is harder to win a cart race than an f1 race - why, because everyone has a realistic chance.... how can a series champion be called world champion when he is 6 or 7 seconds a lap quicker than another driver (ie : ferrari/minardi) - what a joke
Old 5 Apr 2002, 03:34 (Ref:252401)   #7
P1_Senna
Rookie

P1_Senna should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The technology, money and skill far out weigh any other type of racing in the world.

I disagree. I think World Rally Drivers exhibit the greatest driving skill of any series. Formula 1 drivers are indeed in phenomenal shape and have great reflexes, but I think the combination of skills needed to succeed in WRC results in the greatest drivers.

The best drivers in close quarters racing, in my opinion, are the British Touring Car guys. That type of door-to-door stuff is absolutely a blast to watch and they are all very even.

Shuey gets paid around 86 million to tour the world and win.

This almost implies he doesn't deserve it. I would disagree with that too. If he can create 90 million dollars worth of value to his sponsors and his team (Ferrari) then he DOES deserve it.

Stock Car racing belongs in the Southern region of the US. I tend to believe the costs of NASCAR can't keep up for much longer. The teams and Sponsors are not getting the bang for their buck like they did 10 years ago. Unless the networks change how they promote the sport and namely the sponsors of these cars, I think the sport will slow over the next couple of years and close a few of the venues they now travel .

Stock Car racing belongs anywhere it makes the tracks, teams and sanctioning bodies money. Not withstanding your predictions of the future, right now it is very successful in doing that EVERYWHERE in the U.S.
Old 19 Apr 2002, 01:47 (Ref:264487)   #8
SevenGrain
Veteran

United States
Berea, KY
SevenGrain should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think that the Chicago Tribune or the American Media are trying to slight F1 by the comment, but just want to make sure that it's base of American readers know what they are referring to.

If they simply put Jody Scheckter, World Driving Champion, many American readers would not know that that means he drove in Formula One.

The fact is that Formula One has a small following in the United States, and the reporter in question is just ensuring clarity in their message.

Hardly anything for someone to become so upset over.