Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 15 Nov 2018, 17:07 (Ref:3863510)   #2351
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
I think you're very brave doing a gearbox.....I'll happily rebuild an engine, but I have a complete blind spot about gearboxes.....they are just big lumps full of things that look as though they'll jump out and lose themselves if I start messing about with the innards...
Old 15 Nov 2018, 18:48 (Ref:3863521)   #2352
Willmaz223
Veteran

Willmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWillmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
I think you're very brave doing a gearbox.....I'll happily rebuild an engine, but I have a complete blind spot about gearboxes.....they are just big lumps full of things that look as though they'll jump out and lose themselves if I start messing about with the innards...
Yes looking at it for the 1st time proper was quite a 'oh bl*** hell moment but soon got my head around it .I was in a pair which was helpful although we had a bit of trouble reassembling it.
Old 15 Nov 2018, 21:04 (Ref:3863538)   #2353
356sc
Veteran

United Kingdom
Camberley
356sc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
https://www.motorsportuk.org/Motorsp...es-Vnuk-update

Looks like some common sense is prevailing....
60s endurance 1965 356sc #49
Mag 7's #60
Old 15 Nov 2018, 22:39 (Ref:3863552)   #2354
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 356sc View Post
https://www.motorsportuk.org/Motorsp...es-Vnuk-update

Looks like some common sense is prevailing....
That’s good news to go to bed with . Thanks for posting Will
Old 16 Nov 2018, 07:07 (Ref:3863581)   #2355
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
So anyone who drives their racing car to and from the circuit as did Alfaholic, will not be exempt. I can see this becoming even more tortuous.
Old 16 Nov 2018, 07:18 (Ref:3863582)   #2356
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Anyway. On another subject, we were talking about Custom Car and Reece Fish carburetors a while ago. I'm thinking of slapping a Weber on the road MGB, which has an 1870 fast road engine, but then I spotted these. https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/catalo...=8987&q=mikuni anyone know if they would be a good idea?

Being a traditionalist I'll probably stick with the Weber conversion, which I can buy already set up from Webcon.
Old 16 Nov 2018, 07:52 (Ref:3863586)   #2357
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
I’m looking forward to the latest Brexit report on T break thread . Max ???
Old 16 Nov 2018, 07:57 (Ref:3863588)   #2358
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
In two words- it’s all going “Pete Tong”.......
Old 16 Nov 2018, 08:08 (Ref:3863590)   #2359
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
You'd think something so simple as waving goodbye would be easy. This bunch have made it difficult. The problem is not the act, it's the fact that they are trying to appease the remainers. The deal was leave, for good or bad, yet they've spent more time looking at what the remainers want rather than doing what they were told.

Just a bunch of disingenuous vote monkeys.

Can't see anyone voting for the Conservatives for a generation. Likewise I can see those voters will likely abstain from voting at all so they've effectively disenfranchised 40% of the population.
Old 16 Nov 2018, 08:28 (Ref:3863591)   #2360
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
So anyone who drives their racing car to and from the circuit as did Alfaholic, will not be exempt. I can see this becoming even more tortuous.
If you’re driving to and from a circuit then you’ll (hopefully) have at least 3rd party road insurance for your race car anyway?
Old 16 Nov 2018, 08:36 (Ref:3863592)   #2361
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
You'd think something so simple as waving goodbye would be easy. This bunch have made it difficult. The problem is not the act, it's the fact that they are trying to appease the remainers. The deal was leave, for good or bad, yet they've spent more time looking at what the remainers want rather than doing what they were told.

Just a bunch of disingenuous vote monkeys.

Can't see anyone voting for the Conservatives for a generation. Likewise I can see those voters will likely abstain from voting at all so they've effectively disenfranchised 40% of the population.
Sums it up very neatly Peter, I just want OUT, and so I believe does the majority.

On the same subject, if the Cons force a leadership election, whoever gets the PM's job will be in exactly the same position as Mrs. May. Stuck between two opposing forces, and unable to get anything done.

Shoot the lot of them, or ship them all to Europe.

Go for the Webers, much more prestigious even if Italian.

Cheers,

Bob.

PS I am thinking of launching a new political part; Vote Ukick.
Old 16 Nov 2018, 08:42 (Ref:3863594)   #2362
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
If you’re driving to and from a circuit then you’ll (hopefully) have at least 3rd party road insurance for your race car anyway?
Indeed but it won't apply to the car when racing. If I read the words correctly it says vehicles used solely for racing are exempt. Not road vehicles are exempt when racing.
Old 16 Nov 2018, 10:29 (Ref:3863599)   #2363
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Indeed but it won't apply to the car when racing. If I read the words correctly it says vehicles used solely for racing are exempt. Not road vehicles are exempt when racing.
I had the same thoughts Peter, based on the wording.

Of course, the wording, as reported, might be less than watertight as to full interpretation.

At least one would hope so for otherwise some parts of the legal world - notably those parts not personally involved with participating in motorsport - might see an opportunity to make mischi.., er, some money and build a reputation.
Old 16 Nov 2018, 10:31 (Ref:3863600)   #2364
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Anyway back to my carburation questions. I'll also be replacing the fuel hoses with ethanol resistant hoses. What diameter(s) should I buy?
Old 16 Nov 2018, 10:44 (Ref:3863601)   #2365
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Comrade Corbyn in charge should be 'interesting'.

A small part of me, over the years, has had some interest in the concept of complete deployment of nihilism with a side dish of anarchy and what that might mean if widely adopted.

Events in the Middle East may provide some guidance on an international scale and it seems that certain countries in South and, especially, Central America probably indicate what can happen within a single nation.

One wonders if these experiences are being imported to Europe. Perhaps they don't need to be imported and the countries of Europe, whether part of the EU or not, have within them the influences that could lead to their own melt downs compared to the levels of 'civilisation' that we consider normal today.

One notes that the Western political concept of 'social mobility' never seems to be discussed with any indication of direction.
Old 16 Nov 2018, 11:03 (Ref:3863603)   #2366
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Anyway back to my carburation questions. I'll also be replacing the fuel hoses with ethanol resistant hoses. What diameter(s) should I buy?
whatever matches the hard lines - 8mm ID?
Old 16 Nov 2018, 11:25 (Ref:3863604)   #2367
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid View Post
whatever matches the hard lines - 8mm ID?
Although most road cars of that era will likely have had the imperial equivalent of 6mm fuel pipe, I’d try and go for 8mm id if possible- as long as joining onto original doesn’t become a problem.....

I hadn’t thought tha vnuk thing through- whoops!
Old 16 Nov 2018, 12:21 (Ref:3863607)   #2368
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Logic would say that a race car being driven to a circuit would need to comply with all legal requirements such as insurance, road tax, MOT, safety requirements, etc. but once at a circuit it would become solely a racing car when competing.
This started me thinking about the inbetween bit of a race car of any sort being driven (or maybe even pushed around the paddock/assembly/scrutineering bay) within the bounds of a circuit but not actually on track racing/practising where it is presumably covered for third party liability by the MS .... err Motorsport UK insurance. What would happen if, say, a Formula Ford or Sports racing car being driven around the paddock injures a person or property? Presumably that vehicle may not be insured and liability would fall on the owner/driver for any damages. If that person has no personal liability cover what then?
I have to say that in 50 years of competing in hill climbs, sprints and racing the thought of insurance/liability never entered my head. Thankfully I have been very lucky.
Old 16 Nov 2018, 12:25 (Ref:3863608)   #2369
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Except it says "vehicles used solely for racing". Yes for the road you need all the gubbins but then if it's a road car that races it is not used solely for racing.
Old 16 Nov 2018, 13:25 (Ref:3863612)   #2370
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
That was my reading of it and I was a touch worried as u intend to take up speed events in a road car again.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Old 16 Nov 2018, 13:30 (Ref:3863614)   #2371
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
For Delta I have a Brexit update.

Lots of political types running round like headless chickens today, more worried about the state of the current governing party than the future of the country. Many of them sense blood and fancy their name on the executive washroom, but none of them are particularly appetising.

The current Managing Director, God rest her soul, has done her best, the idea that anyone else - Leaver, Remainer, Left, Right or Centre - could have done anything any better is frankly laughable.

They say "cometh the hour cometh the man" but I really can't see a white knight on the horizon. We are condemned to weeks, months, years more of this.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Old 16 Nov 2018, 13:46 (Ref:3863619)   #2372
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
We are condemned to weeks, months, years more of this.
In a nutshell! At least while it’s all still being fought over the right to travel around Europe should remain unchanged.

Except I’m sure it will cost more!
Old 16 Nov 2018, 14:09 (Ref:3863622)   #2373
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
In a nutshell! At least while it’s all still being fought over the right to travel around Europe should remain unchanged.

Except I’m sure it will cost more!
Only if they want to be arsey. Everyone is aware that whilst we could travel freely we could only stay for 90days unless we were employed. That will persist except we may need to have our passports stamped (unlikely).
Old 16 Nov 2018, 14:16 (Ref:3863623)   #2374
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
Gerard, you may know that we say that Britain & America are two countries separated by the same language.
I have a photo somewhere of sign in a shop window in Lisbon which said, “English spoken, American understood”.
Old 16 Nov 2018, 15:06 (Ref:3863625)   #2375
Willmaz223
Veteran

Willmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWillmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Did branding today,looked at the colours and what they represent and looking at the history and what it can come across to people.

The work experience question I posed came succesful,the CRDC have offered for me to go to Spa for the Summer Classic which I couldnt believe having never been and event I had liked to go to.My dad wanted me to go for it which I obviously all being well will do.

A must admit this politicala(cant stomach saying the blooming word ) situation is getting to much for my head.I think I should have done it 😁😁 would have probably been a more backed person with people leaving May left right and centre.The word was Brexi-cant finish it,nearly puked.😀🤕
Closed Thread