Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 24 Sep 2000, 20:10 (Ref:39012)   #1
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
...Who had the problem of ITV not showing it live?

I found a very interesting way of watching the race - I listened to Radio Five Live, watched the stills on tv-zapping.com and kept updated with the standings on f1-live.com. How did everyone else go on?
Old 24 Sep 2000, 20:17 (Ref:39013)   #2
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Good old steam radio for me.

Thank heaven for BBC Five Live.
Old 24 Sep 2000, 20:17 (Ref:39014)   #3
SL
Veteran

SL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

RTL, the German satalite lot. Did not understand a lot of the commentry, but the blonde presenter at the start was a heck of a lot better looking than Tony Jardine

Well done to Jaques, he kept the interest going, two spins and still challenging for third.

Any comments from the other side of the Atlantic about how F1 was taken ???

SL
Old 24 Sep 2000, 20:27 (Ref:39018)   #4
Regs
Rookie

Regs should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

I'm sure there are some here who may beg to differ but I think it will be seen as a big success. The crowd was into it, the race was great and had all the right stuff, I think they achieved everything they set out to achieve. I think the race will prove to be popular with the drivers and fans. But this is just a foot in the door here. Like anything else, they need to keep selling it. Keep the interest up through "fan development" over the course of the year. Unfortunately, the US sports press will give this thing hardly a nod so we can't count on any help from them. But it was a great race and I'm glad this F1 in the USA thing seems to have gotten off on the right foot. Well done!
Old 24 Sep 2000, 20:34 (Ref:39022)   #5
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
YAY Speedvision!!!!!

I've watched most of SpeedVision's coverage including Friday and Saturday practise as well as qualifying and the race. The commentary was brilliant, Derek Daly was much better as pit-lane reporter than he is in the booth.

During Ads, I switched over to Fox who seemed to be just as good. I also kept the feed up on Gale Force, but they were slow to refresh so I gave up after awhile.

All in all, great coverage in the US.
Old 24 Sep 2000, 20:47 (Ref:39030)   #6
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I had to share the first quarter of hour of F1 live transmission with… anyone guess? A ffffotball match! I have no words to express my indignation. I must add that it happens second time this year.

Great race, great TV coverage, wonderfull track, I guess the Europeans have a thing or two to learn from the Americans.

Oh baby, Ferrari 1-2! Yyyyeeeeesss!
Old 24 Sep 2000, 21:01 (Ref:39034)   #7
SL
Veteran

SL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

If anyone else see's RLT they would know, but they have this fantastic split screen. Whilst they show adverts on the main screen in the top left is a small live feed, no commentry, but all the action was shown LIVE.

ITV please note.

SL
Old 24 Sep 2000, 21:28 (Ref:39042)   #8
Gerard
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Gerard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I watched the race on two screens, one terrestrial TV and one on digital.
Actually, writing this makes me aware of the fact how unequal things are divided in the world.
Some of you couldn't see the race live and here I am, watching it on two different broadcasts.
Ah well, some guys have all the luck.

As for the whole event, I think the Americans have done a wonderful job. Very well organised and those grandstands, wow, what a beautiful sight.
I found the race exciting enough to make me sit on the edge of my chair.
Well done Tony George et al.
Old 24 Sep 2000, 22:30 (Ref:39049)   #9
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
hehehe...

I watched the race LIVE on RDS en Francais. The English channel was tape-delaying it by 1 hour, and I could not stand to wait, knowing that the race was going.

I must say that I was not at all impressed with the camera work, or the directors decisions. It seemed like every time the JV-HHF duel was getting good, the director would cut away and follow Schumi or Coulthard for a lap or two, while we all waited to see what had happened. The camera work was second rates too, missing Verstappens crash (or whatever happened to him, and often missing cars completely.

Other than that a great race.
Old 25 Sep 2000, 01:47 (Ref:39074)   #10
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I "watched" the first hour on a combination of Gale Force (for the main screen - I like their little car icons) and th ecommentary from F1 Live. TSN was delaying broadcast for a CFL football match and I did not want to wait to see what would happen. All the good stuff happened in the first hour, it seems, so by the time the race came on it was like having read ahead in a mystery. But after TGF won I was able to sit back and enjoy the rest of the race, knowing that was settled ...

All in all I thought it was not badly done, though a few times I thought Martin was going to have to push Murray off his chair to stop him screaming about something that wasn't correct or hadn't actually happened. And I must say that I don't like the idea of calling Rubens "Ruby", Frenzy "Hank" and Fisi "Gino."

Do you think Mika caught on to the thing about the bricks and the wheelspin early, and that was why he contrived to be in 3rd place (which eventually ended up to be pole position)? That man is smarter than a lot of people seem to think. I do find it funny that Tony George missed it though.
Old 25 Sep 2000, 02:05 (Ref:39076)   #11
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Liz, you are way too clever.

Great theory though. I actually wondered if the goal was to get DC on the front row, intentionally have him jump the start and keep TGF within Hakkinen's range for an early move. It didn't work, and I like your theory better.
Old 25 Sep 2000, 05:24 (Ref:39089)   #12
AlteredGrizz
Rookie

AlteredGrizz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I watched it on RDS Français also. we had the warm ups and all. but the couvrage during the race was sometimes not to bright!
Leaving the battle between Jack and HHF when their was 1 lap left, was not a bright idea!
But the race did keep me on the edge of my seat!

The bad news is Schumi won....lol
Old 25 Sep 2000, 05:49 (Ref:39092)   #13
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
We saw it live (or at worst an hour delay, not sure how the daylight savings from the olympics change it) at 5 in the morning. Stayed awake until the second pit stops and then woke up for the podium. Not bad at all.

One little thing of note, i see ppl on the net and around here congratulating Tony George, may i ask whent the last time that happened?
Old 25 Sep 2000, 08:32 (Ref:39109)   #14
RussianFriend
Veteran

Russian Federation
Moscow, Russia
RussianFriend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I saw it in live at midnight. Brilliant action!!! I believe, it will be super race for years! Yankeys are super entertainers, and they can make their public to come.
Excellent job of Ralph, unfortunatelly his car didn't let him to be at the podium.
Regarding Mika's comment,after the conferension TFG asked the circuit owners to transfer the first line far from the brick stripe. And they did.

Old 25 Sep 2000, 09:26 (Ref:39115)   #15
Nuvolari
Racer

Nuvolari should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fox Sports telecast delayed in New York by baseball game. Actually, it worked to my advantage. There was full hour pre-race program, featuring Peter Windsor doing interviews with everyone from Bernie to David Lettermen . . . Mike Joy and Derek Bell in the booth. Coverage was very well done. Some superb in-car cameras. Overall, I think Fox did a commendable job bringing the excitement of the day.

What a race!
Old 25 Sep 2000, 11:24 (Ref:39134)   #16
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm I the only person in the world to actually have ITV2??? (through cable)..
Old 25 Sep 2000, 11:35 (Ref:39135)   #17
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I knew Ferrari would win, but when TGF had his little episode of narcolepsy I was almost sure it would be Rubens! Drat the man, he is too good to let that happen. I thought it was a good race overall and wish I could have seen more of the pre and post race stuff.
Old 25 Sep 2000, 12:17 (Ref:39150)   #18
kuchi
Veteran

Colombia
Bogota, Colombia
kuchi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, as I live in southamerica, I saw the race on PSN, live, and well it was a good one, but I was cheering for a JV podium finish.
Old 25 Sep 2000, 12:35 (Ref:39153)   #19
ireshad
Rookie

ireshad should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
On RTE live and unadulterated. Well OK there was 2 ad breaks.
Old 26 Sep 2000, 07:40 (Ref:39342)   #20
Devlin
Racer

Devlin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
RTL - mit Heiko Wasser und Christian Danner (live at the track), Kai Ebel (trackside), Niki Lauda and...this other guy back in the studio. They rule! The down side is (there has to be one, it's a free satellite channel) that they advertise probably all the beer brands in Germany (and there are a lot of those, believe me). Still, they do have that split-screen thingy (as mentioned by SL), which makes up for it. And I'm starting to understand more and more German! Talk about F1's educational role...
Old 26 Sep 2000, 15:55 (Ref:39416)   #21
smurficus69
Rookie

smurficus69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
a question?

Was the camera work cr*p on all stations or was it just whatever hand-me-down footage RTE got. I can't belive they showed Schumi cruising around for half a lap instead of the Jacques/HHF battle. What is going on??? Don't get me started about the commentary.
Old 26 Sep 2000, 16:10 (Ref:39418)   #22
ireshad
Rookie

ireshad should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The footage was the same worldwide, they only allow oneset of cameras. Which is why you tend to get long stretches of looking at Gene during the Spanish GP. I have to say, even though I always used to watch the ITV coverage, I'm actually coming around to RTEs now.