Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 20 Nov 2016, 01:09 (Ref:3689630)   #1
Surf 1275
Rookie

Surf 1275 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Goodwood 75th Members Meeting

Details of the 75th Goodwood Members Meeting here :

https://www.goodwood.com/grrc/event-...ils-announced/

The new race for A series powered pre '66 Sports and GT cars is quite interesting - The Weslake Cup. Anyone know if this will include some of the Mini specials like the DART, Jem, Marcos, Ogle, Unipower or Deep Sanderson? Are front wheel drive permitted?
Old 20 Nov 2016, 06:28 (Ref:3689642)   #2
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
GOODWOOD 75th MEMBERS MEETING

Includes 2 races for pre-war cars....
Old 20 Nov 2016, 06:42 (Ref:3689646)   #3
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Aoplogies to Surf 1275 but somehow lost the text from his post while merging with the 2017 calendar!

Not word for word but copied here-

"Details of the 75th Goodwood Members Meeting here :

https://www.goodwood.com/grrc/event-...ils-announced/

Does anyone know if the Weslake Trophy race for 'A' series powered pre 1966 Cars will include mini based specials like the Dart, Gem, Marcos etc?
Old 20 Nov 2016, 10:13 (Ref:3689676)   #4
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
I'm sure it will Mike . . . I could probably name most of the grid and where they cars are coming from

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post

Does anyone know if the Weslake Trophy race for 'A' series powered pre 1966 Cars will include mini based specials like the Dart, Gem, Marcos etc?
Old 20 Nov 2016, 11:17 (Ref:3689682)   #5
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Yes, the Fordwater Trophy a years ago was for exactly the cars mentioned, so I'm sure this race will attract almost exactly the same grid. It was an interesting mix of cars and a great race!
Old 20 Nov 2016, 15:07 (Ref:3689740)   #6
Surf 1275
Rookie

Surf 1275 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Weslake Trophy for Sports and GT cars of the type raced at Goodwood between 1958 and 1966. This could include Mini specials but I did hear it was for rear wheel drive, which could be great news for Deep Sanderson, Landar or Unipower GT, if there was room on the entry list (which I did hear was already full). Anyone have any more details?
Old 20 Nov 2016, 16:05 (Ref:3689749)   #7
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surf 1275 View Post
This could include Mini specials but I did hear it was for rear wheel drive, which could be great news for Deep Sanderson, Landar or Unipower GT, if there was room on the entry list (which I did hear was already full). Anyone have any more details?
Sadly not. Although the MM entrants pay to race at the meeting it is still very much 'by invitation', so I wouldn't be surprised if the entry list is already complete....
Old 21 Nov 2016, 16:27 (Ref:3689971)   #8
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'm told the invites are out but as I'm not home I don't know if I have an entry. Can't get a reply from Goodwood.
Old 21 Nov 2016, 19:36 (Ref:3690010)   #9
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Reply received. Entry submitted.
Old 21 Nov 2016, 20:08 (Ref:3690020)   #10
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nice one Peter, something to look forward to over winter.
Old 22 Nov 2016, 06:52 (Ref:3690133)   #11
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Indeed. This year the G Marshall format has changed. Saturday is a race into sunset for the two drivers. Sunday is the owner's race.
Old 22 Feb 2017, 10:09 (Ref:3713944)   #12
percy
Racer

percy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is there an entry list online yet? Can't see anything on the Goodwood site other than a timetable.
Old 22 Feb 2017, 12:46 (Ref:3713991)   #13
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
I'm guessing the combatants know the entries, certainly for their own races if not others.

Interesting- the lack of posts talking about the meeting this year. Novelty worn off?
Old 22 Feb 2017, 17:06 (Ref:3714054)   #14
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
There's probably a lot of holding cards close to chest or cynicism growing about some of the cars/entries!

No, no that would never happen...
Old 22 Feb 2017, 17:29 (Ref:3714060)   #15
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
We tested last week. Beautiful sunny day obviously arranged by his Lordship. *tugs forelock*. The Capris are substantially quicker but then they have some young hotshots in them. Also they have the benefit of some very good suspension mods.

I found out where Tiff was going wrong and he'll be quicker come the race.

All the Rovers except mine have switched to fuel injection. I've refused simply because as much as I respect the person who says they all did it in period, I've yet to find any evidence. So my car is approximately 40bhp down on the others.

The good thing is that during testing I went quicker. So based on the above I'll still be a slow thing in a slow place but everyone else will be faster.

Hey ho. At least Ken is getting my HTP organised.
Old 23 Feb 2017, 08:31 (Ref:3714192)   #16
Duddha
Racer

United Nations
Geneva, Switzerland
Duddha should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDuddha should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDuddha should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
We tested last week. Beautiful sunny day obviously arranged by his Lordship. *tugs forelock*. The Capris are substantially quicker but then they have some young hotshots in them. Also they have the benefit of some very good suspension mods.

I found out where Tiff was going wrong and he'll be quicker come the race.

All the Rovers except mine have switched to fuel injection. I've refused simply because as much as I respect the person who says they all did it in period, I've yet to find any evidence. So my car is approximately 40bhp down on the others.

The good thing is that during testing I went quicker. So based on the above I'll still be a slow thing in a slow place but everyone else will be faster.

Hey ho. At least Ken is getting my HTP organised.
Hi Peter,

good notes you publish here, I would be interested to know about the Capri suspension mods, anything to do with Group 2?

On the Rovers, how interesting as all documents I have here from late years of BSCC as well as the comparison with between French and UK cars show the use of Webers and these were what I would call "top of the list" cars.

Are they using the Group A fuel injection system?

5779 Group 1 and later Group A transferred shows only carburettors, 5080 Group A shows only carburettors and only 5078 Group A shows injection but that is from 1983 onwards so what is this based on?

The BSCC rules in period allowed use of homologated items in Group 1 plus the addition of the RAC blue book ruling but how can they use an item if it is the Group A injection that wasn't yet homologated and which all in all was for Group A.

Cheers, Louis.
Old 23 Feb 2017, 08:45 (Ref:3714199)   #17
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
It's the originally homologated injection system. It's certainly on the certificate and was available in 1981. Blue book says you can use homologated equipment. It's not the Group A twin plenum.

As to the Capris, they are running Group 1.5 rear ends and are as far as I can see legal. I don't know if that system existed in 1981 but it all connects to the original unmodified mounting points.

They certainly handle really well.
Old 23 Feb 2017, 09:08 (Ref:3714204)   #18
Simon Hadfield
Veteran

Simon Hadfield should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSimon Hadfield should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Surely then the Rover induction comes under the period freedom clause - if something was allowed in period it has to be shown to have been used - clearly legally and provably so - under those regulations in period.
Old 23 Feb 2017, 09:28 (Ref:3714209)   #19
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
As to the Capris, I can't see anything "new" fitted to the rear suspension. They can use either anti tramp bars or a single arb. OK, the live axle can be adjusted to find some camber and toe in. As far as I know, moving the engine backwards is not allowed whether you move the bulkhead back and reshape the gearbox tunnel or not. Easy to spot if you really want to.
Old 23 Feb 2017, 09:48 (Ref:3714214)   #20
Simon Hadfield
Veteran

Simon Hadfield should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSimon Hadfield should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Gerard is spot on - it was not allowed to move the engine position in period. However it is suggested that some were moved, if so that was illegal then, and remains illegal today.
You still see cars advertised today with the engine having been moved backwards though.....
Old 23 Feb 2017, 10:51 (Ref:3714228)   #21
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quite right Simon! You can learn a lot from adverts and from some videos too! Between 2000 and 2007 we had an agreement here as far as the GTS11 category was concerned. Very quickly at least 90% of the 911's were compliant and we could find fun from fair battles on the track. We deeply involved the dedicated scrutineer then no one could make a fool with him. At each race, the cars were weighed and the track and wheelbase (critical on the swb) checked during pre race scrutineering. Good ambiance, no back thoughts then.
Old 23 Feb 2017, 11:45 (Ref:3714242)   #22
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Hadfield View Post
Surely then the Rover induction comes under the period freedom clause - if something was allowed in period it has to be shown to have been used - clearly legally and provably so - under those regulations in period.
Indeed which is why, until I can find proof that my car ran it in period, I'm not doing it.

The HTP will have the carb as is.
Old 23 Feb 2017, 11:47 (Ref:3714243)   #23
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
As to the Capris, I can't see anything "new" fitted to the rear suspension. They can use either anti tramp bars or a single arb. OK, the live axle can be adjusted to find some camber and toe in. As far as I know, moving the engine backwards is not allowed whether you move the bulkhead back and reshape the gearbox tunnel or not. Easy to spot if you really want to.
Again I'm not suggesting it is wrong. But I don't recall the drop down rear linkage which permits the larger and stiffer anti roll bar.

They do look really good in cornering.
Old 23 Feb 2017, 13:02 (Ref:3714258)   #24
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Peter you've been clear and I saw no allusion just info. I think Simon H already specify that the arb's diameters are free. The drop down you're talking about I saw it recently but on a French production car (so Grp 1,5, ex D Fornage). The picture on the Grp1 homologation form is rather clear (well ……). But this kind of pick up point can allow you a very low ride height and suppress one of the flaws of the rear geometry (antagonize the axle when moving up and down).
As an ex Capriman, do you think that a massive rear arb only can bring any improvement in cornering?
Old 23 Feb 2017, 13:14 (Ref:3714261)   #25
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
We also cranked the axle casing. But yes it reduces roll oversteer.