Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 10 Oct 2018, 06:07 (Ref:3855833)   #1
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
PHILLIP ISLAND CLASSIC

VHRR event Website here....
https://vhrr.com/wp/phillip-island/

Tourist Website here.... https://www.phillipislandpoint.com.a...sland-classic/
Old 10 Oct 2018, 17:16 (Ref:3855951)   #2
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame

The best website for info is on the VHRR (Victorian Historic Racing Register) website. There will be a full list of events, classes, timetables, drivers entered plus the PR and media info.

Here is the link for the event, although sadly only last years info is present, with a promise of updates to come. It gives an idea of the info on there though (2018 meeting.) Plenty of other links on the page to general info of the VHRR, contact info by class/category, galleries of all VHRR events (several hundred images of this years March Historic / classic meeting. )

https://vhrr.com/wp/phillip-island/

It is a fabulous meeting. Very sociable. I will be there .... my highlight of the motor sport year in preference to the closely following Grand Prix.
Old 10 Oct 2018, 20:21 (Ref:3855989)   #3
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
I shall look forward to meeting you .
Old 11 Oct 2018, 00:42 (Ref:3856033)   #4
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
I shall look forward to meeting you .
Likewise Iain. I was going to say I will bring the kwassants!
I am sure I can organise you an invite to the HTCAV (Historic Touring Cars Assoc. of Victoria) barbecue for beer and vittles.
I suspect other tenthers such as David Towe will be there with the Group A brigade. I did meet up with HRSTR5 (James) in his Triumph a few years ago.
Old 11 Oct 2018, 05:33 (Ref:3856053)   #5
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Getting excited . 😀
Old 11 Oct 2018, 07:57 (Ref:3856069)   #6
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
There are a few Formula Junior on board laps of Phillip Island on youtube.... not races just laps I think. Plenty of F5000 racing on the tube from there, and Historic Tourers.

(Presume you are coming with FJ's Iain?)
Old 11 Oct 2018, 11:26 (Ref:3856097)   #7
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
We are going to NZ in Feb next year for South Island racing FJ . We look after the Cooper Massarati ex . Salvadori . The car has been invited to Phillip Island and I will go as mechanic but hope get a drive as well .
Old 19 Oct 2018, 07:21 (Ref:3857684)   #8
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
A copy of the 2018 programme if anyone is interested. Over 100 pages and plenty of pics.

https://issuu.com/terragrafix/docs/p...c_program_2018
Old 25 Feb 2019, 09:27 (Ref:3886462)   #9
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
Just thought I would give this thread a bit of a bump seeing as it is almost upon us.

I am checking the VHRR website daily for news of the schedule and competitor list. I am told 'coupla days mate'! As soon as it is up I will post links.

One thing is the Cooper Maserati that Iain will be at the event with seems to be one of the star attractions. In the press release:
Quote:
PRESS RELEASE

Phillip Island Classic Historic Racing in March will feature International and Locally owned World Renowned Cars

The 2019 Phillip Island Classic ‘Festival of Motor Sport’ on 8 – 10 March will feature some of UK’s top historic race cars including the 1964 ex-Salvadori Cooper-Maserati T61P in which Roy Salvadori chased Bruce McLaren to the checkered flag at Silverstone on May 1964.
The rest of the press release can be read here: https://vhrr.com/wp/phillip-island/
Not a new press release, but the only one and posted as an excuse to bump the thread.

Last edited by E.B; 25 Feb 2019 at 09:33.
Old 25 Feb 2019, 09:50 (Ref:3886470)   #10
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
No doubt the Bruce McLaren link helped!

And no excuse needed to bump the thread, we’re all looking forward to reading about it!
Old 25 Feb 2019, 23:18 (Ref:3886620)   #11
champcarman
Veteran

champcarman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchampcarman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Is it just me or has this meeting lost a bit of it's oomph. The years of having a multitude of interesting cars from overseas seem to be in the past and there seems to be a bit more emphasis on the Touring Car side of things. Remember the International sports car event from a few years ago and some great open wheeler fields. Perhaps the organisers think touring cars will get more people through the gate but the race weekend should not lose what has made it great over the years.
Old 26 Feb 2019, 02:40 (Ref:3886643)   #12
bludvl_x19
Veteran

Australia
umop apisdn
bludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by champcarman View Post
Is it just me or has this meeting lost a bit of it's oomph. The years of having a multitude of interesting cars from overseas seem to be in the past and there seems to be a bit more emphasis on the Touring Car side of things. Remember the International sports car event from a few years ago and some great open wheeler fields. Perhaps the organisers think touring cars will get more people through the gate but the race weekend should not lose what has made it great over the years.
For my mind, every historic event in Australia has its 'niche'

PI Classic was all about the sportscars, the ones that couldn't really stretch their legs anywhere else in the country. That, combined with the international cars coming over was my drawcard to the event.
Sandown was F5000; Winton Festival of Speed was Group N; Austin 7 Historics had J, K and L all squared away etc...
Old 26 Feb 2019, 02:43 (Ref:3886644)   #13
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by champcarman View Post
Best of Luck with that...
Old 28 Feb 2019, 03:05 (Ref:3887203)   #14
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
For Iains benefit here is a longe range forecast for PI next weekend.

http://www.myweather2.com/Motor-Raci...-Forecast.aspx

Just checked the VHRR website and literally they have just posted the schedule and entry list. (I checked earlier today and it was not there)

https://vhrr.com/wp/wp-content/uploa...st-2019-RS.pdf
Old 28 Feb 2019, 03:47 (Ref:3887209)   #15
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Should be there on Sat hopefully, just got to find where I put the camera battery.
Old 28 Feb 2019, 18:21 (Ref:3887377)   #16
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
I’m excited for those attending, and more than a little envious! Just watched highlights of the WSBK meeting, and it reminded me of what a great circuit and location it is.

Hope you find your camera battery, john875. If you get time to post after the meeting some photos would be great!
Old 1 Mar 2019, 12:08 (Ref:3887531)   #17
GreenMachine
Racer

Australia
Canberra
GreenMachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGreenMachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Me and a few mates have booked a house for the three days. I am going to need about 100gb of cards, several batteries, and some pre-event weight training to lift the camera bag, if previous years are any guide ...

I won't look at the forecast until a couple of days beforehand, it's on the coast and too changeable, I'll go prepared for anything.

I missed last year's historics, and looking forward to a more relaxed visit this time, last year I managed a team for the PI 6hr relay and didn't have time to scratch myself :-(

Hoping to catch up with a long time mate who ran FF back in the TAA days, he's hoping to get there if he can escape grandparent duties for a day.
Old 6 Mar 2019, 05:38 (Ref:3888547)   #18
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
Mentioned in the Delta thread we welcomed Iain to Melbourne with a shower of rain early afternoon coinciding with his arrival..

Forecast is a bit better for the weekend though.

Thursday Min 13 Max 22 Partly cloudy. 20% chaince of rain.

Friday Min 15 Max 24 Partly cloudy.

Saturday Min 15 Max 25 Partly cloudy.

Sunday Min 16 Max 26 Possible shower. (40% chance, 1mm)

http://www.bom.gov.au/vic/forecasts/phillipisland.shtml

For Ian's benefit track temperature hourly forecast here: http://www.myweather2.com/activity/h...00603&id=41893
Old 6 Mar 2019, 06:00 (Ref:3888552)   #19
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Ce n'est que mon avis bien sûr, mais avec de telles activités et ces températures lÃ*, puis-je me permettre de recommander un peu plus qu'une douche tous les quatre jours… Sinon ça va puer!
Old 6 Mar 2019, 06:32 (Ref:3888557)   #20
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Ce n'est que mon avis bien sûr, mais avec de telles activités et ces températures lÃ*, puis-je me permettre de recommander un peu plus qu'une douche tous les quatre jours… Sinon ça va puer!
Showers at the circuit. Failing that the sea is very close!
Old 6 Mar 2019, 08:19 (Ref:3888572)   #21
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
Ok here safe and sound . Looking forward to meeting Dave or E B as we know him . Been up since 2 am but love the track . Everyone is just so helpful and kind .,We we’re going to walk the track but spoke to Ian Tate and he told us to jump in his car and took round for a couple of laps . We stopped just after start finish line and wow what a view looking over the ocean . Anyway bit cream crackers so pasta and beer then bed . Hope to do a few laps tomorrow in Cooper Maz then hand over to the owner .
Old 6 Mar 2019, 08:38 (Ref:3888576)   #22
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
E.B would be great to arrange a short video of the first Maserati song. Have fun and be safe all.
Old 6 Mar 2019, 09:11 (Ref:3888583)   #23
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Ok here safe and sound . Looking forward to meeting Dave or E B as we know him . Been up since 2 am but love the track . Everyone is just so helpful and kind .,We we’re going to walk the track but spoke to Ian Tate and he told us to jump in his car and took round for a couple of laps . We stopped just after start finish line and wow what a view looking over the ocean . Anyway bit cream crackers so pasta and beer then bed . Hope to do a few laps tomorrow in Cooper Maz then hand over to the owner .
Ian Tate is a fabulous and very helpful guy, and he isnt too shabby with engines either.... he gave my Group Nc Cortina engine a freshen up for me back in the day and it never missed a beat, despite my attempts to ring its neck!

He also built many of the Holden teams engines in the ATCC from the late seventies, and that includes a few Bathurst winners.

@ Iain glad you got there ok and I knew you would love the track. Not much to not like about the place.
Old 6 Mar 2019, 20:36 (Ref:3888769)   #24
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
All the best Iain, and don't get too distracted by the view......I remember doing that gazing at Snowdon whilst racing at Anglesey - and finding the corkscrew came up a bit quick!
Old 6 Mar 2019, 23:02 (Ref:3888796)   #25
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
All the best Iain, and don't get too distracted by the view......I remember doing that gazing at Snowdon whilst racing at Anglesey - and finding the corkscrew came up a bit quick!

Don't forget to make sure they have rounded up the 'Roos before you go out on track.

You may find a few in a fenced area near the circuit. Obviously the pen is outside the active area ... or it was when I saw it a few years ago.