Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 6 Dec 2018, 09:01 (Ref:3868218)   #26
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
I wonder if its anything to do with the fact their cars aren't in any way historic and are tipping the scales just a little too much, even by Goodwoods calibration?
Old 6 Dec 2018, 09:05 (Ref:3868219)   #27
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Indeed.
Old 6 Dec 2018, 09:17 (Ref:3868221)   #28
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Yes, my first point was somewhat TIC.
Somewhat?
Old 6 Dec 2018, 10:58 (Ref:3868233)   #29
Speedy norm
Racer

Speedy norm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As a humble spectator at Goodwood i say good riddance....i also go for the cars and the atmosphere which in my opinion is not enhanced by Plato and co.
Old 6 Dec 2018, 11:45 (Ref:3868239)   #30
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
I’m wondering if we’re seeing a change in “attitude” from Goodwood? The statement they put out in answer to the comments from BTCC Drivers was not very sympathetic.....

The Revival and MM organisers have got three main concerns, in my opinion.....

Lap times getting faster. It’s been suggested to me that their circuit licence could be in jeopardy if the quickest cars get any quicker. That may or may not be the case....

Driving Standards. Negative reporting in the press and on social media seems on the increase....

Non compliant cars. (Not including the races for ‘Goodwood Specials’.)

Sadly the genie has been well and truly let out of the bottle, and it will take some effort to get it back in. One BTCC driver quoted in MotorSport was suggesting that spectator attendance will be down in 2019 because he and other current drivers aren’t there. Time will tell!
Old 6 Dec 2018, 12:06 (Ref:3868243)   #31
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
I’m wondering if we’re seeing a change in “attitude” from Goodwood?.....

Driving Standards. Negative reporting in the press and on social media seems on the increase....
I agree with your comments Mike (and others on this topic) but the strange thing is that throughout the year Goodwood's media streams appear to persist in showing 'hairy moments' and damage - as if that's what attracts people (entertainment?). Maybe it does (for some)?

Plenty of good cars and racing at Goodwood without the BTCC superstars. It's a good thing to my mind at least that we may not see them there next year.
Old 6 Dec 2018, 12:19 (Ref:3868245)   #32
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
When Mike (and he is the President of the CSCC) and Andrew Jordan race with CSCC, the CoC always makes a point of making it clear that the club has high driving standards and doesn't tolerate BTCC behavior.
They are always good as gold.
Old 6 Dec 2018, 12:25 (Ref:3868249)   #33
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary396 View Post
throughout the year Goodwood's media streams appear to persist in showing 'hairy moments' and damage - as if that's what attracts people (entertainment?). Maybe it does (for some)?
That does seem contradictory, and makes me wonder if those in charge of PR are detached enough to not be influenced by what the organisers may be trying to achieve....
Old 6 Dec 2018, 12:27 (Ref:3868250)   #34
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
When Mike (and he is the President of the CSCC) and Andrew Jordan race with CSCC, the CoC always makes a point of making it clear that the club has high driving standards and doesn't tolerate BTCC behavior.
They are always good as gold.
I don’t think anyone is suggesting otherwise......
Old 6 Dec 2018, 12:35 (Ref:3868252)   #35
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I suppose I was just making the point, Mike, that BTCC drivers can drive "properly" when required. They drive like they do in BTCC (and Goodwood) because: a) no one tells them not to and b) they can.
If Goodwood enforced decent standards, then it wouldn't be an issue. And given that the track hasn't changed at all, perhaps they should enforce decent driving standards. A "big one" might see the coverage on the 10 O'clock news, and that would do Goodwood ,and the sport, no good at all.
Old 6 Dec 2018, 13:06 (Ref:3868257)   #36
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I think it only fair to advise that we all attend a mandatory briefing on the Friday before the MM weekend and we are told that poor driving will not be tolerated. The fact that a complete cockwomble drove into me and two other cars at the start of the Sunday race, causing severe amounts of damage makes no difference.

Also said cockwomble was invited to the Revival too.
Old 6 Dec 2018, 13:13 (Ref:3868258)   #37
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
Then they clearly don't "enforce decent standards" then Peter. Therefore they do tolerate (or even condone) it, and you, and others, sadly suffer. Words are cheap; action, and damage to other people's valuable property is not.
Old 6 Dec 2018, 13:25 (Ref:3868263)   #38
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Then they clearly don't "enforce decent standards" then Peter. Therefore they do tolerate (or even condone) it, and you, and others, sadly suffer. Words are cheap; action, and damage to other people's valuable property is not.
Motorsport UK do have licenced Driving Standards Observers (myself included) should clubs choose to use them.
Old 6 Dec 2018, 13:50 (Ref:3868265)   #39
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
And does Goodwood “choose to use them”????
Old 6 Dec 2018, 14:00 (Ref:3868267)   #40
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
And does Goodwood “choose to use them”????
What do think?
Old 6 Dec 2018, 15:18 (Ref:3868294)   #41
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
rbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
All Post Chiefs should be watching for "ify" driving not just DSO's . It is what the COC does with the reports that is more important!
Old 6 Dec 2018, 15:54 (Ref:3868304)   #42
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
The driving standards officer this year was John Cleland.
Old 6 Dec 2018, 15:59 (Ref:3868306)   #43
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
The driving standards officer this year was John Cleland.

nuff said
Old 6 Dec 2018, 16:01 (Ref:3868307)   #44
SWCRacing
Racer

SWCRacing has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Think you will find that it was Martin Donnelly.......
Old 6 Dec 2018, 17:08 (Ref:3868321)   #45
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Yes, John must have been the previous year. Apologies.
Old 6 Dec 2018, 17:11 (Ref:3868322)   #46
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
I think I may have commented at the time but I felt that this year there appeared to be a lot of BTCC Style driving at Goodwood and BTCC Drivers were often not the culprits...
Old 6 Dec 2018, 18:15 (Ref:3868339)   #47
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It was Martin Donnelly that censured Jackie Oliver and totally ****ed him off. I think he was stronger than people expected.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Old 6 Dec 2018, 21:42 (Ref:3868385)   #48
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
That was the revival. I was referring to the MM.
Old 7 Dec 2018, 07:58 (Ref:3868466)   #49
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
No, I've raced with Mike a few times, clean as a whistle and we were separated by nanoseconds ( albeit in very different cars)

I think the 'business interests' have created more pressure to perform for some though

A lot of this thread is repeating others from the same venue over recent years . . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
I don’t think anyone is suggesting otherwise......
Old 7 Dec 2018, 09:15 (Ref:3868483)   #50
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post
A lot of this thread is repeating others from the same venue over recent years . . . .
Yes! Probably my fault for posting about the clash between both Goody meetings and BTCC rounds.....