Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 19 Jun 2021, 04:05 (Ref:4057096)   #1
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yuki Tsunoda

This guy is rather hilarious. He's put in a few good performances up against what you'd now consider to be a seasoned and consistent performer, but it's fascinating to see how not all F1 drivers are as polished and clasically-media trained as you might expect. He comes across as someone who has been drafted in from outside the bubble and has suddenly found himself as an F1 driver.

For instance, from the racecraft side, he's obviously very self-critical, which is positive in a self-analytical way, berating himself for getting passed by two drivers in the final laps of Baku, but I found it surprising that he couldn't figure out how it happened. Watching back the onboards (on those rather excellent 'best onboard' YouTube videos formula1.com put out now), he appeared to place his car okay, but it just seemed to be fairly typical wheel-to-wheel dicing that he lost out on.

Then, there's the fact that he's been a potty mouth on the radio (standard F1 fare, but usually as your confidence and standing grows, I thought, and not as a newcomer) and needs to develop his temperament and has been moved to Italy.

An appealing driver to watch, as he's a bit raw and it seems like we're watching F1 in the 70s again.
Old 19 Jun 2021, 06:04 (Ref:4057106)   #2
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
He has the potential to be the new Kimi. Not in a classic Kimi way, but more like how fan get a kick out how how Kimi is and his approach to F1.

Richard
Old 19 Jun 2021, 08:50 (Ref:4057113)   #3
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yes, Richard. He manages to be simultaneously nonchalant and irate.
Old 19 Jun 2021, 09:03 (Ref:4057116)   #4
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Certainly is a bit of a change from the norm is Yuki. He's got the talent as shown in Bahrain and Baku, so let's hope he continues with the good performances. No reason why he can't
Old 19 Jun 2021, 13:08 (Ref:4057141)   #5
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Was feeling it early in the season but he makes far too many mistakes to have a 'fun' personality imo.

Hopefully his ability catches up to his on track performances.
Old 19 Jun 2021, 13:11 (Ref:4057142)   #6
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I’m impressed with him. Managing to find the barrier at Paul Ricard. That’s special.
Old 19 Jun 2021, 13:12 (Ref:4057143)   #7
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
timely incident or a timely comment on my part!

2nd quali in a row where he red flagged it.
Old 19 Jun 2021, 13:24 (Ref:4057149)   #8
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
timely incident or a timely comment on my part!
Good timing.
Quote:
2nd quali in a row where he red flagged it.
I suspect the internet world is about to change its view on this driver.
Old 19 Jun 2021, 13:37 (Ref:4057154)   #9
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
You never know...a properly timed and witty comment could still win the day for him!
Old 19 Jun 2021, 13:41 (Ref:4057159)   #10
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yuki Ts-'oh-no' da?

Old 19 Jun 2021, 14:12 (Ref:4057169)   #11
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Oops so here it is!

Unless there was a failure, that was pretty crap to bin it like that at Turn 1.

I admire so many people's optimism that he is something special in the making but I have never seen anything to suggest he is.

He is looking more and more out of his depth at the moment.
Old 19 Jun 2021, 19:34 (Ref:4057204)   #12
BTCC frog
Veteran

BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
I admire so many people's optimism that he is something special in the making but I have never seen anything to suggest he is.
Remember, on his first qualifying lap in Formula 1, Yuki Tsunoda went second fastest (in Q1). That was extremely impressive and is surely the reason why he was initially so highly rated.

But since then, he hasn't really had any positive standout moments. Bahrain was a respectable drive to 9th, but as Gasly showed in qualifying, the car was capable of top 5, so his drive there was very overhyped. Imola was, of course, a disaster, as he crashed in qualifying and spun in the race. In Portugal, Spain and Monaco, he was woefully off Gasly's pace. Then Baku seemed like a redemption as he took his best ever grid slot and race finish, but really he was still behind Gasly and he crashed in qualifying. Then obviously this crash in France was poor too.

I believe that Tsunoda will improve to become a competent driver with a few podiums in the future (hence why he remains in my fantasy team despite being outscored by Mazepin), as he is clearly quick, as he showed in Q1 in Bahrain. But I do not see him as a future champion, as was suggested after Bahrain.
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/br...years/5975766/
Old 19 Jun 2021, 20:05 (Ref:4057210)   #13
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
He obviously has talent, and has had a couple of good races, as well as a couple of bad ones and soem mistakes, but as a rookie he needs to be given time. Red Bull are constantly looking for the next Vettel, and seemingly not interested in the next Sainz, but as we can see Sainz is actually a good peddler.
Old 19 Jun 2021, 21:46 (Ref:4057233)   #14
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r View Post
Red Bull are constantly looking for the next Vettel, and seemingly not interested in the next Sainz, but as we can see Sainz is actually a good peddler.
Sainz is indeed very good, and was pretty close to Verstappen in many ways at Toro Rosso. The fact Sainz and Verstappen (or their camps) did not get on seems to have been the biggest impediment to Sainz getting a Red Bull call-up.

Tsunoda does seem rather inconsistent! With Honda's backing, Tsunoda will surely see out the season but maybe Albon will be back at Faenza next season?
Old 20 Jun 2021, 00:14 (Ref:4057251)   #15
Dixie Flatline
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Dixie Flatline should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
Oops so here it is!

Unless there was a failure, that was pretty crap to bin it like that at Turn 1.

He is looking more and more out of his depth at the moment.
Seems to have a great talent for putting his car in the wall, even in the most unlikely of places.
Old 20 Jun 2021, 05:15 (Ref:4057262)   #16
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
What's that old saying? You've got to break a few eggs to make an omelette. There is no doubt Yuki has got the speed, he just needs to temper that speed with control. That said they were talking on C4 about the possibility of bringing Albon back in his place and considering Red Bull's past record on dropping drivers, it would not surprise me if that were to happen
Old 20 Jun 2021, 06:18 (Ref:4057271)   #17
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
What's that old saying? You've got to break a few eggs to make an omelette. There is no doubt Yuki has got the speed, he just needs to temper that speed with control. That said they were talking on C4 about the possibility of bringing Albon back in his place and considering Red Bull's past record on dropping drivers, it would not surprise me if that were to happen
He has not exactly blown away Gasly at any stage though.
Old 20 Jun 2021, 07:53 (Ref:4057280)   #18
Hawkwood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warrington
Hawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
A rookie who's done 6 F1 races hasn't blown away their F1 race winning team mate? Shocking.

When did we stop giving rookies time before writing them off as 'out of their depth'?
I remember rookies used to be given time on this forum, to make mistakes in their debut season.
Old 20 Jun 2021, 08:52 (Ref:4057285)   #19
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkwood View Post
A rookie who's done 6 F1 races hasn't blown away their F1 race winning team mate? Shocking.

When did we stop giving rookies time before writing them off as 'out of their depth'?
I remember rookies used to be given time on this forum, to make mistakes in their debut season.
Ever since Max showed what class looks like!

Fair point though.
Old 20 Jun 2021, 09:20 (Ref:4057287)   #20
BTCC frog
Veteran

BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkwood View Post

I agree he should be given more time, and dropping him for Albon would be ridiculous at this stage as he clearly has a lot of talent. I just think he hasn't yet lived up to expectations so far. He will get there though, and in a few years, I think he will be roughly as good as Gasly or Ocon.
Old 20 Jun 2021, 09:42 (Ref:4057293)   #21
P38 in workshop
Veteran

P38 in workshop has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
He began the year really well,but now Gasly's star seems to be in the ascendant.Both seem to be sitting in a really fast car and the gap to the Milton Keynes squad seems to have narrowed.I don't see either of them getting switched into a Red Bull just yet as they seem to have a very useful driver combination there.Which seems to mean that Albon and Kvyat are both useful drivers sidelined by Dr Marko and with no obvious place to go,but with more talent than some of the backmarkers.I would have thought that the lightest driver on the grid would be a useful boost to the car's performance.
Old 20 Jun 2021, 10:05 (Ref:4057295)   #22
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yuki must learn to do a banker lap before going 100%, it should not take 3 crashes in qualifying to learn that
Old 20 Jun 2021, 10:23 (Ref:4057297)   #23
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Yuki Ts-'oh-no' da?

Making puns out of drivers' names? Tsu-no-dat's unfair.
Old 21 Jun 2021, 19:14 (Ref:4057672)   #24
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
That sounds like TV talking heads saying things to get tweeted out and generate traffic. Quite possibly as dumb an idea as if they were to announce they have traded contracts with Haas and were taking on Mazepin. Except Mazepin can actually pay cash for his mistakes. There's nothing to be gained by dumping a driver again with no testing and little time in the car for a guy who's been jerked every which way for the last couple seasons.
Old 25 Jun 2021, 03:23 (Ref:4058087)   #25
bathurst77
Veteran

Australia
Biding my time in Vandemonia
bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!
Its easier to make a fast but crash prone driver more careful in time and a race winner, than it is to make a slower but never crash driver go fast enough to be one.
Max Verstappen was call crashstappen at first.