Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 10 Feb 2016, 17:35 (Ref:3613725)   #1
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
Marshals wanted for F1 Euro GP in Baku, Azerbaijan, June 17-19, 2016

For the more adventurous ones among us!

From Bill Armitage (who is the Flag chief for the US GP F1 @ CotA)'s FB page:

"I was contacted by the ASN for the Formula One Grand Prix of Europe in Baku, Azerbaijan June 17-19. They are looking for qualified flag marshals to support the event. Accommodations and food will be provided. You are responsible getting there. If you are interested either PM me or email me at cotaf1flag@earthlink.net"

Note that it's the same week(end) as LM24.

(disclaimer: I'm not involved with this project in any way, shape of form.)
Old 10 Feb 2016, 18:05 (Ref:3613735)   #2
rotation
Rookie

United Kingdom
Stirlingshire, UK
rotation should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BA and Azerbaijan Airlines will get you there, direct from Heathrow.

If you want the cheap option, change in Constantinople / Istanbul.
Old 10 Feb 2016, 19:20 (Ref:3613765)   #3
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
How long has Azerbaijan been in Europe and why were we not told?
Old 10 Feb 2016, 21:13 (Ref:3613804)   #4
rotation
Rookie

United Kingdom
Stirlingshire, UK
rotation should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
How long has Azerbaijan been in Europe and why were we not told?
Since they were entered into Eurovision.
Old 11 Feb 2016, 12:37 (Ref:3613946)   #5
jayne1990
Rookie

jayne1990 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
hi
sent you a email regarding this
Old 11 Feb 2016, 16:55 (Ref:3614004)   #6
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotation View Post
BA and Azerbaijan Airlines will get you there, direct from Heathrow.
Hmm. . . I wouldn't want to fly with such a dodgy airline. Azerbaijan Airlines should be fine, though!
Old 14 Feb 2016, 21:56 (Ref:3614670)   #7
Fubar Andy
Rookie

United Nations
North West
Fubar Andy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Whats classed as "qualified flag marshal"

I've not got a "flagging badge" but all my international events have been as a flaggy (40+ events)?

Last edited by Fubar Andy; 14 Feb 2016 at 22:13.
Old 15 Feb 2016, 09:00 (Ref:3614778)   #8
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Drop Bill an email. I don't know him personally but a number of UK based marshals have been to COTA for the F1; I dare say he has a reasonable idea of the way things work over here.
Old 15 Feb 2016, 09:45 (Ref:3614784)   #9
Apple
Racer

England
E.Sussex
Apple should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubar Andy View Post
Whats classed as "qualified flag marshal"

I've not got a "flagging badge" but all my international events have been as a flaggy (40+ events)?

In America all corner workers are call flag marshals
Old 15 Feb 2016, 11:11 (Ref:3614802)   #10
Fubar Andy
Rookie

United Nations
North West
I've emailed all contacts regards this request, lets see what comes about!
Old 15 Feb 2016, 11:48 (Ref:3614809)   #11
deadsquirrel
Veteran

United Kingdom
Deepest Warwickshire
deadsquirrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddeadsquirrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubar Andy View Post
I've emailed all contacts regards this request, lets see what comes about!
If you've flagged at international level events, are confident to do it, have no 'negative' feedback about your skilllevel (if you know what I mean) and get your MSA overseas marshalling letter, you'll be fine.

Do expect to be a 'team leader' and mentor to other flaggies - and be happy to do it.
Old 15 Feb 2016, 15:01 (Ref:3614837)   #12
Fubar Andy
Rookie

United Nations
North West

Old 15 Feb 2016, 20:01 (Ref:3614924)   #13
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Nothing to do with me of course, but if they want to have Grands Prix in these far off places they should be told to get on with it and not expect help from 'proper' countries. After all it is places like this that encourage Bernie by paying huge sums for the 'privilege' and put Silverstone, Monza etc at risk. They should not be encouraged, and if the drivers are prepared to race in such events, let them suffer the consequences.

Rant over ................................... (for now)!
Old 15 Feb 2016, 20:48 (Ref:3614940)   #14
Apple
Racer

England
E.Sussex
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
Nothing to do with me of course, but if they want to have Grands Prix in these far off places they should be told to get on with it and not expect help from 'proper' countries. After all it is places like this that encourage Bernie by paying huge sums for the 'privilege' and put Silverstone, Monza etc at risk. They should not be encouraged, and if the drivers are prepared to race in such events, let them suffer the consequences.

Rant over ................................... (for now)!

Some people might think it is an opportunity to travel the world and have new experience's and make new friends.
Old 16 Feb 2016, 10:00 (Ref:3615060)   #15
bauble
Veteran

England
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple View Post
Some people might think it is an opportunity to travel the world and have new experience's and make new friends.
I believe my point still stands, go to Baku by all means, but don't support a country that is robbing Europe of it's heritage, by buying our history.
How many Formula 1 drivers has Azerbaijan ever produced, how many teams are based there, how have they earned the right to a Grand Prix?

What have the Azerbaijanis ever done for us?
Old 16 Feb 2016, 10:11 (Ref:3615062)   #16
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Surely the whole point of having a 'World Championship' is have races all around the world?
Old 16 Feb 2016, 10:35 (Ref:3615069)   #17
Mike Kelly 1
Veteran

England
Poole, Dorset (Scouser in exile!)
Mike Kelly 1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well said. No one was complaining when UK marshals were asked to go to the first Abu Dhabi Grand Prix!

Mike Kelly - Patron saint of public houses!
Old 16 Feb 2016, 12:25 (Ref:3615087)   #18
Apple
Racer

England
E.Sussex
Quote:
I believe my point still stands, go to Baku by all means, but don't support a country that is robbing Europe of it's heritage, by buying our history.
How many Formula 1 drivers has Azerbaijan ever produced, how many teams are based there, how have they earned the right to a Grand Prix?

What have the Azerbaijanis ever done for us?

I assume from your signature, your having a laugh
Old 16 Feb 2016, 12:59 (Ref:3615092)   #19
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple View Post
I assume from your signature, your having a laugh
I do feel very angry about the way the soul of the sport is auctioned off by Bernie, but it is not for me to tell other people (even marshals) what to do with their time, in fact I expect a number of good friend will go, well ex-friends anyway.

Keep smiling!

Kind regards,

Bob. AKA Mr Cross of Luton.

PS ALWAYS read the signature.

Last edited by bauble; 16 Feb 2016 at 13:00. Reason: Addition
Old 16 Feb 2016, 13:13 (Ref:3615094)   #20
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How is the sport to expand globally if we don't visit new countries, getting new fans and new drivers?

Living just outside Mallory Park I know how 'anti' so many people (and Politicians) are about any sort of motorsport in this country be it on 2 or 4 wheels.

Let's go to more tolerant countries.

We regularly visit Northern Ireland where my Brother in Law competes in Irish Road Racing, at events like the North West 200 & the Ulster Grand Prix. These are motorbike races around closed country lanes, what's the chance of that happening here? - less than zero I think.
Old 16 Feb 2016, 14:58 (Ref:3615123)   #21
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Clerk View Post
How is the sport to expand globally if we don't visit new countries, getting new fans and new drivers?

Living just outside Mallory Park I know how 'anti' so many people (and Politicians) are about any sort of motorsport in this country be it on 2 or 4 wheels.

Let's go to more tolerant countries.

We regularly visit Northern Ireland where my Brother in Law competes in Irish Road Racing, at events like the North West 200 & the Ulster Grand Prix. These are motorbike races around closed country lanes, what's the chance of that happening here? - less than zero I think.
I do not object to expansion, but to the contraction in traditional races, it causes. How ludicrous that we have no German, French, Dutch Grands Prix while races are held on deserted circuits like Abu Dhabi etc.

But as I said at the start, it not my business.
Old 16 Feb 2016, 14:59 (Ref:3615124)   #22
deadsquirrel
Veteran

United Kingdom
Deepest Warwickshire
deadsquirrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddeadsquirrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I do feel very angry about the way the soul of the sport is auctioned off by Bernie, but it is not for me to tell other people (even marshals) what to do with their time, in fact I expect a number of good friend will go, well ex-friends anyway.
IMO, F1 isn't the soul of motorsport even if it is the most watched (maybe)

I think people are waking up to sports car series (WEC, Blancpain etc) - they have 'name' drivers that people maybe idolised in F1 that they can now get close to on raceday in a pitroad walkabout and get a photo and autograph. They recognise the cars for actually being closer to road cars. The cars make great noise too!

So, I don't mind what Bernie does with the F1 circus, as long as he keeps out of meddling with his competitors. It's sad how pale F1 is now compared to 25 years ago!

I'm sure British marshals will go to Baku, and I wish them good luck. It's not my cup of tea. We do what we do as a hobby, not a job, thankfully.

Embrace the variety!
Old 16 Feb 2016, 15:39 (Ref:3615132)   #23
Guinness2702
Veteran

United Kingdom
Cambridge
Guinness2702 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGuinness2702 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Kelly 1 View Post
Well said. No one was complaining when UK marshals were asked to go to the first Abu Dhabi Grand Prix!
I'm not complaining about this, but UK marshals had their expenses paid for that meeting.

As for me, I'd be happy to volunteer my services, if needed, but I'd expect my travel expenses to be covered. I spoke to Bill about the USGP too, but the situation there was the same ... no travel expenses.

And before I get brigaded on this, I'm not having a gripe at anyone here, and I don't expect anyone to change anything ... just a statement of fact ... if you want my services, I don't mind covering typical travel costs to UK circuits, and I may travel farther afield on my own penny, one day ... but right now I'm not willing to go to that much expense .... but if anyone is in need of my services, and will cover my costs, I'd be interested.
Old 16 Feb 2016, 17:29 (Ref:3615161)   #24
Apple
Racer

England
E.Sussex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinness2702 View Post
I'm not complaining about this, but UK marshals had their expenses paid for that meeting.

As for me, I'd be happy to volunteer my services, if needed, but I'd expect my travel expenses to be covered. I spoke to Bill about the USGP too, but the situation there was the same ... no travel expenses.

And before I get brigaded on this, I'm not having a gripe at anyone here, and I don't expect anyone to change anything ... just a statement of fact ... if you want my services, I don't mind covering typical travel costs to UK circuits, and I may travel farther afield on my own penny, one day ... but right now I'm not willing to go to that much expense .... but if anyone is in need of my services, and will cover my costs, I'd be interested.
No accommodation costs either in the USA, loads of food and transport to the track.
Old 17 Feb 2016, 04:44 (Ref:3615354)   #25
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
And there's me thinking this was a Motorsport related thread!
Bill Armitidge is just compiling a list - he's not going!