Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 29 May 2017, 02:12 (Ref:3737003)   #276
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Champion Porsche/Audi territory
jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
You've got to take your hat off too Alonso. I really hope he is back next year.
With all due respect, again, why? He was with the top team at the moment, was given a great setup and did exactly what a good professional should do. I find his Indy effort to be just what it was s'posed to be. Nothing more, nothing less.

jimclark
Old 29 May 2017, 02:36 (Ref:3737009)   #277
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimclark View Post
With all due respect, again, why? He was with the top team at the moment, was given a great setup and did exactly what a good professional should do. I find his Indy effort to be just what it was s'posed to be. Nothing more, nothing less.
Why not? It didn't detract from the event and positively added something to it and generated a lot of interest. Just what motorsport needs.
Old 29 May 2017, 03:11 (Ref:3737014)   #278
jimclark
Veteran

United States
jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
(A)Why not? (B)It didn't detract from the event and positively added something to it and generated a lot of interest.
(A) Because he did nothing special.

(B) Detracted nothing. I agree.
Added something? I agree again. A lot of BS hype.

A lot of interest? Yeah; a bunch of know nothings..."He's gonna go to Indy and kick ass." or "He's out of his element, he'll crash."

Neither was true, as shouldn't have even been expected.

jimclark
Old 29 May 2017, 03:31 (Ref:3737018)   #279
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
BS hype gets the sport into media locations it would otherwise not have managed

The local Aussie radio & teev media carried stories about the race because Mr Alonso was involved. Will Power has been there forever and they don't keep that attention up.

Even if Mr Alonso doesn't come back, he was noticed!
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 29 May 2017, 03:36 (Ref:3737019)   #280
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
(A) Because he did nothing special.
Why do you think he did nothing special?

Quote:
(B) Detracted nothing. I agree.
Added something? I agree again. A lot of BS hype.

A lot of interest? Yeah; a bunch of know nothings..."He's gonna go to Indy and kick ass." or "He's out of his element, he'll crash."

Neither was true, as shouldn't have even been expected.
In the articles I read in the motor racing press, and various interviews, it never come across that, "He's gonna go to Indy and kick ass." or "He's out of his element, he'll crash.", there was a much more measured approach. The coverage and reporting of his ROP was a good example.
Old 29 May 2017, 04:46 (Ref:3737030)   #281
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Alonso did exactly what he needed to do at one of the most difficult places to do it at the first time out. Yes, not heads above the rest, but I'd give some credit where due for his very first oval race at THE speedway and the first time out in a different car. I thought he'd struggle in the pack, but he was as smooth and cool as the other side of the pillow.

Not ROTY, but he was pretty damn impressive and 200.000 plus in person seemed to appreciate that, as do most here.
Old 29 May 2017, 06:53 (Ref:3737049)   #282
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Why would he return? Because he said he wants to win the triple crown. Since he didn't win Indy, he'll have to keep trying until he does if that is still his aim.

He should go to the states full time for a few years. There's nothing left for him in F1.
Old 29 May 2017, 07:12 (Ref:3737052)   #283
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
This is obviously a different circles thing. I saw and read little of this. So what if some were unrealistic, either way, about his chances?

He was expected to do OK, probably better than average. We know he's good, but he was inexperienced at this dicipline. For me he got into it earlier than I thought, qualified higher than I thought, led some laps and was consistently higher through the race than I thought. Near the end he started putting in some good outside overtakes after people had become defensive.

Good job and I am more that happy to be enthusiastic about his performance, especially as he was so enthusiastic about the whole experience. That last part buys you a lot of credit.
Old 29 May 2017, 07:15 (Ref:3737053)   #284
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
This is obviously a different circles thing. I saw and read little of this. So what if some were unrealistic, either way, about his chances?

He was expected to do OK, probably better than average. We know he's good, but he was inexperienced at this dicipline. For me he got into it earlier than I thought, qualified higher than I thought, led some laps and was consistently higher through the race than I thought. Near the end he started putting in some good outside overtakes after people had become defensive.

Good job and I am more that happy to be enthusiastic about his performance, especially as he was so enthusiastic about the whole experience. That last part buys you a lot of credit.
Agreed. I think his performance was excellent and not really sure what else he could've done for people to have a higher praise. I think some people might be a bit upset that an outsider came in and didn't struggle like they hoped.
Old 29 May 2017, 08:41 (Ref:3737068)   #285
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Quote:
(A) Why do you think he did nothing special?

(B)In the articles I read in the motor racing press, and various interviews, it never come across that, "He's gonna go to Indy and kick ass." or "He's out of his element, he'll crash.", there was a much more measured approach. The coverage and reporting of his ROP was a good example.
I think you missed the intentions of my statements.

(A) Because he didn't. Being the great driver that I've always thought he is, he did exactly what I thought he would, as have many before him. He drove very professionally throughout his Indy adventure.

(B) I wasn't talking about the coverage. I thought you ("positively added something to it and generated a lot of interest") were referring to the many, many, many ignorant opines of supposed "fans" that read the articles.

jimclark
Old 29 May 2017, 09:00 (Ref:3737072)   #286
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
Everyone is a 'know-nothing' at some point, just sadly alot of them are mistaken and think they knew something about IndyCar - that it's easy and it's just turning left. They are the ones who make a noise, hopefully there were a legion of fresh eyes out there who went in without preconceptions and came out richer for it.

Alonso was a star. Legend status confirmed.
Old 29 May 2017, 09:07 (Ref:3737074)   #287
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peat View Post
Everyone is a 'know-nothing' at some point, just sadly alot of them are mistaken and think they knew something about IndyCar - that it's easy and it's just turning left. They are the ones who make a noise, hopefully there were a legion of fresh eyes out there who went in without preconceptions and came out richer for it.

Alonso was a star. Legend status confirmed.
Precisely. Agreed. Except for that last sentence "Legend status confirmed.".

I don't believe in "legends"; 'just very accomplished people.

His star status? Yes; due to the media coverage, not his driving which was right up to snuff.

jimclark
Old 29 May 2017, 09:27 (Ref:3737080)   #288
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
'Legendary'? What exactly is that? Clark legendary? Senna legendary? Schumacher legendary? Possibly not. However I still rate him as one of the very best out there. Had he not totally screwed himself in F1 over the last few years, had he been in a Red Bull, a Mercedes or a Ferrari over the last few years (in that order), he would have won at least 2-3 more titles, IMO. Even in a dog of a car, he's still more exciting to watch race than virtually anyone else. So yeah, on this occasion I'll go with Peat's description.
Old 29 May 2017, 09:58 (Ref:3737088)   #289
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
I think you missed the intentions of my statements.

(A) Because he didn't. Being the great driver that I've always thought he is, he did exactly what I thought he would, as have many before him. He drove very professionally throughout his Indy adventure.
Possibly or maybe they weren't clear enough.

What was special, if that indeed is the word to use, was his Indy adventure, from the decision to not race at Monaco to when the green flags waved at the start of yesterday's race.

Quote:
(B) I wasn't talking about the coverage. I thought you ("positively added something to it and generated a lot of interest") were referring to the many, many, many ignorant opines of supposed "fans" that read the articles.
I never referred to or mentioned the fans.
Old 29 May 2017, 10:38 (Ref:3737095)   #290
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
Near the end he started putting in some good outside overtakes after people had become defensive.
Thanks for bringing that up! As clean as he was all day (all month, really), he did seem to turn up the wick, as they say, near the end of his run and made some excellent passes, really coming into his own when it was going to count the most.

Again, quite impressive for the "rookie".

Last edited by fieldodreams79; 29 May 2017 at 10:44.
Old 29 May 2017, 13:55 (Ref:3737129)   #291
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
I am saying this through slightly gritted teeth, because I am very far from being a fan of the Spaniard, but I thought he was brilliant throughout the Month of May. Took to oval racing as if he'd been doing it for years, qualified brilliantly, led 27 laps, would have been in the hunt for the win had not Honda let him down yet again. Racing on ovals, let alone at the Brickyard, is a very specialised discipline, and some drivers never really master it. He made it look like second nature. I hope he's back next year; I'd also love to see him on a road or street course.
Old 29 May 2017, 13:59 (Ref:3737130)   #292
RWill2073
Veteran

RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
So why would we give any historical winner of Indy any credit? Some years they had the only team/car that didn't fail or blow up and lapped the field. Are we just crediting cars only now?
Old 29 May 2017, 20:11 (Ref:3737216)   #293
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWill2073 View Post
So why would we give any historical winner of Indy any credit? Some years they had the only team/car that didn't fail or blow up and lapped the field. Are we just crediting cars only now?
No. Coin toss.

jimclark
Old 30 May 2017, 07:42 (Ref:3737311)   #294
littleman
Veteran

littleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridlittleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I thought Alonso was absolutely sensational. But for the engine failure, and possibly being caught out at the last restart, he had every chance of winning.
I think he's one of the all time great's, possibly the only modern day driver who could actually win the Triple Crown.

I also have to say that's the first time I've ever watched the entire Indy 500....and I'll be watching it every year from now on......stunning atmosphere,brilliant racing, ridiculous speeds! New found respect for ALL the Indy Car drivers too.....they're either genuine hero's or totally mental !

Well done to Sato too, he drove a really gutsy race.
Old 30 May 2017, 10:13 (Ref:3737334)   #295
champcarman
Veteran

champcarman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchampcarman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
But did Alonso deserve the Rookie of the Year award over the guy who finished third in the race?

I am not sure one way or the other but I would like to hear peoples opinions.
Old 30 May 2017, 10:51 (Ref:3737341)   #296
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
He deserved it, it wasn't his fault the engine let him down again. This was a voted award remember
Old 30 May 2017, 15:05 (Ref:3737399)   #297
AdrianM
Racer

AdrianM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by champcarman View Post
But did Alonso deserve the Rookie of the Year award over the guy who finished third in the race?

What did he do other than finish 3rd though? The award is based on three other criteria other than the finishing position all of which Alonso was the star.
Old 30 May 2017, 15:15 (Ref:3737401)   #298
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by champcarman View Post

Agreed. Ed Jones drove for the rinky dink Dale Coyne team. Alonso, Andretti. Duuuhhhh.... 'Hell of a finish for him. 'Taking nothing from Alonso, but...

jimclark
Old 30 May 2017, 15:21 (Ref:3737403)   #299
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by littleman View Post
I think he's one of the all time great's, possibly the only modern day driver who could actually win the Triple Crown.
Don't count out Montoya (yet). He "only" needs to win Le Mans.
Old 30 May 2017, 15:39 (Ref:3737410)   #300
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by gert View Post
Don't count out Montoya (yet). He "only" needs to win Le Mans.
Maybe if he loses some weight....

jimclark