Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 24 Mar 2018, 21:33 (Ref:3810499)   #326
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
It's been the same exact things from the same people since the first race in 2014. :\
The only thing that has been constantly changing is that the race has gotten better each year.

We the fans and posters, have gotten ... older.
Old 25 Mar 2018, 00:09 (Ref:3810534)   #327
MaskedRacer
Veteran

MaskedRacer User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
The only thing that has been constantly changing is that the race has gotten better each year.

We the fans and posters, have gotten ... older.
I think everybody agrees that 2014 Sebring was the worst race in north American sportscar history. All of the 12 hour races from 2015-2018 have been pretty good though.
Old 25 Mar 2018, 03:12 (Ref:3810552)   #328
nezy37
Rookie

United States
wisconsin
nezy37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Ep View Post
I'm glad you got to enjoy some of the most spectacular sights around the track - as limited as they might have been.

There's a bit of a spectator viewing area incl. bleacher on the exit of 17 on drivers left but it's kinda far away from the track, however it also gives you a view of the S-F straight I believe. Any viewing on the outside of the turn would be marred by fencing though unless the current distance will be maintained.

The area right before the bridge also on drivers left is maybe even more tricky due to cars still shedding speed and turning in at the same time - on the many occasions one of them gets it wrong it almost always ends in tears with a close up visit to the tirewall, having debris from one of those hits flying straight is certainly not unthinkable. Further away from the track, the area is occupied by - you guessed it right - more RV's, probably team/participants this time but imo a prime location for a medium sized bleacher without having to put up major fencing. And it's right where the shuttle trams pass by (almost where the starting/turning point of their route is).

[And just as a FYI: The area right before and under the bridge (both sides actually) has been "promoted" to photographers's 'Red Zone'.]

I was once again privileged to see the bumps and dips in 17 up close as one of the positions we cover as corner workers is '17 bridge' (on drivers right, directly in front of the big advertising sign) which is mainly a communication spot; seeing the cars bounce over everything is a sight to behold, especially as we stand maybe 5 feet from the racing line (behind the concrete wall obviously) - I can almost high five the cars as they come thru! Best spot in the house by far!
That sounds amazing. How did you score that marshaling post? Sebring was a great experience, I'm far from disappointed, first time I got to see night racing too. I'll be back for sure, my folks rent a place in ft meyers so it's pretty easy for me actually. Thing that really stood out is how crowded it was. I was there the first year of the merger and it had to be twice as crowded.

I think that had to do as much with the difficulty I had finding good spots as anything. Well that And went with my dad who is pretty casual and his friend who cares even less so I had to be diplomatic with my approach if i wanted to see some night racing which I hadn't seen before, and it's great.

What I need to do is convince my Indy 500 crew that sports car racing is awesome and drag them down there. Camp and make a long weekend of it
Old 25 Mar 2018, 10:43 (Ref:3810632)   #329
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by nezy37 View Post
That sounds amazing. How did you score that marshaling post?
Go to SCCA website and check out how to volunteer. I have a friend who spend two or three weekends a month with some of the best seats in the house, just for being upright and waving the appropriate flag now and then.

Quote:
Sebring was a great experience, I'm far from disappointed, first time I got to see night racing too. I'll be back for sure, my folks rent a place in ft meyers so it's pretty easy for me actually.
Awesome for you.

Quote:
I think that had to do as much with the difficulty I had finding good spots as anything.
Show up early Thursday and bring your hiking boots. Check out the whole circuit and pick your favorite spots.

Quote:
What I need to do is convince my Indy 500 crew that sports car racing is awesome and drag them down there. Camp and make a long weekend of it
Point out how many IndyCar stars will be there--- plus it is the only way to see Helio and Juan Pablo.

Always good to hear that one more person got infected.
Old 25 Mar 2018, 13:37 (Ref:3810647)   #330
RWill2073
Veteran

RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!
I finally finished the race last night. What an excellent race. Some amazing racing in every category all race. At about 2 hours to go, the Mazda sucked me in again... I should have known better... Derani is on another level than anyone else sometimes. It's insane.

Almost as impressive as the race is some people's ability to find ways to complain and argue. It is okay to just appreciate a great race put on by series that is getting a lot right nowadays.
Old 25 Mar 2018, 14:18 (Ref:3810655)   #331
nezy37
Rookie

United States
wisconsin
nezy37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
Go to SCCA website and check out how to volunteer. I have a friend who spend two or three weekends a month with some of the best seats in the house, just for being upright and waving the appropriate flag now and then.

Awesome for you.

Show up early Thursday and bring your hiking boots. Check out the whole circuit and pick your favorite spots.

Point out how many IndyCar stars will be there--- plus it is the only way to see Helio and Juan Pablo.

Always good to hear that one more person got infected.
I love me some endurance racing. Only the second Sebring I've been able to attend and it was a much better experience than the first go round, year of the merger. It was just a much more electric atmosphere.

I'm at road America every year for about the last 10 years or so. I'm just happy to see strong fields considering where alms was heading and the decisions that imsa has made have been very good imo. Bop is what it is but it's necessary for what we have and what we have is pretty damn good.

I talked to a guy last year about marshaling the vintage event at road America. IndyCar weekend is quite a party and I think I'd prefer following the imsa race. When one is marshaling how on top of the race can you be in terms of strategy playing out etc?

Last thought... pipo derani is an animal behind the wheel. He really stands out amongst a bunch of very good drivers
Old 25 Mar 2018, 17:39 (Ref:3810680)   #332
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
If you're in for often very long days on your feet in rain or shine and willing/prepared to stay focused 99% of that time (in addition to Maeloch's slightly understated 'job description'), you should give it a try!

Here's some more info that might help you:

https://www.scca.com/pages/i-want-to...ore-about-scca

http://www.racer.com/scca-home/item/...a-volunteering

There are several incentive programs available from various regions.

Good luck!

Edit: at Pro events there are often updates provided over the radio to keep us corner workers in the loop in case you lose track of what's going on. Comes in handy for the endurance races, not so much for the shorter races like Indycar, etc.