Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 4 Nov 2007, 20:29 (Ref:2059546)   #1
pete55
Veteran

pete55 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
HRT - Will there be some big changes?

On another forum a well known HRT and Skaife supporter states that HRT is not a happy place at the moment and to expect some big news to come out of there in the next few months. Will there be driver changes there for next year with maybe one or both of them going or will the changes be in team ownership or management?
If there are driver changes who will go as i am told ( don't know for sure) that there are no driver contracts in place for next year at this stage. If Skaife goes who would take his place and would be sell his share in the franchise. More interestingly where would Skaife go. If Todd goes where would he go to? All very interesting.
I have also been told that a few teams that have supposedly got their drivers for next year have not signed any contracts at this stage. Are they holding off to see what happens in other teams and in this case HRT before they do sign anybody.
Old 4 Nov 2007, 22:11 (Ref:2059635)   #2
SSbaby
Veteran

Australia
SSbaby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Right now, Murphy is a wasted talent. Get him over there (HRT) fast. Skaife has been having trouble keeping it on the island this season. Maybe he would be a good fit at JDR as that team badly needs a front running driver who can develop the car and team around him. There wouldn't be the pressure there to perform that there is at HRT.

Just my thoughts... which matter little.
Old 4 Nov 2007, 23:23 (Ref:2059681)   #3
Wrighty05
Veteran

Australia
Wrighty05 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's all very interesting. Doesn't seem like the happiest camp in pit lane at the moment.
"It was dry for the second go-around. Grice, nervous, worrying about his Bathurst jinx, ran 2:25.9. The amazing Brock, using every last centimetre of bitumen, yet keeping the car straight and balanced and at full noise, came back with a staggering 2:20.0 as if to say: "Match that". And people just shook their heads, bit their lips and wondered who would be second".

RIP Peter Brock. 1945-2006
Old 5 Nov 2007, 01:08 (Ref:2059729)   #4
Exceler8
Racer

Exceler8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
yeah i have also heard there not very happy down at clayton...I Hear Skaifeys been a bit sad and angry of late
Old 5 Nov 2007, 02:33 (Ref:2059751)   #5
Mickcals
Racer

Mickcals has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I think if Skaife moves to JDR it will relive him of a lot of pressure, and he can go back to just racing and not worrying about team management.

I cant see Skaife and Murphy as teammates, but maybe if Skaife leaves then Murphy might be able to step in and lead HRT
Old 5 Nov 2007, 02:35 (Ref:2059752)   #6
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Pretty ironic really if a few were to go.

The strong turnaround of HRT fortunes years ago happened when a number of key staff left Gibson Motorsport to go to HRT.

The reason that they left? They'd had a total gut full (alledgedly) of the guy running the team - Mark Skaife.

Maybe there is a bit of history repeating?
Old 5 Nov 2007, 03:59 (Ref:2059779)   #7
pete55
Veteran

pete55 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If Skaife is seen by the powers to be to be the problem will this be the end of him at HRT. The next few months will be very interesting.
Old 5 Nov 2007, 04:59 (Ref:2059802)   #8
Silencer
Racer

New Zealand
New Zealand
Silencer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Murphy is better off at Tasman, the team have started to come right in the last couple rounds.
Old 5 Nov 2007, 05:14 (Ref:2059807)   #9
db120176
Racer

Australia
Sydney CBD
db120176 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddb120176 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I know it's been a while, but why did Grech leave?
Old 5 Nov 2007, 05:27 (Ref:2059808)   #10
Luke Plaizier
Rookie

Luke Plaizier should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Murphy is at the Retirement Home isn't he? I can't see him leaving the warm fluffy feathers of the home roost.

I can't honestly see it being a problem with the drivers. Skaife is still qualifying and driving fast. It seems, just as Ambrose was years ago, that he's overdriving around some inherent problem.

My instinct tells me that this is political unrest and not a lack of ability.

Lukeyson
Old 5 Nov 2007, 06:00 (Ref:2059815)   #11
xrystl
Racer

Pitcairn Islands
gold coast
xrystl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete55
On another forum a well known HRT and Skaife supporter states that HRT is not a happy place at the moment and to expect some big news to come out of there in the next few months. Will there be driver changes there for next year with maybe one or both of them going or will the changes be in team ownership or management?
If there are driver changes who will go as i am told ( don't know for sure) that there are no driver contracts in place for next year at this stage. If Skaife goes who would take his place and would be sell his share in the franchise. More interestingly where would Skaife go. If Todd goes where would he go to? All very interesting.
I have also been told that a few teams that have supposedly got their drivers for next year have not signed any contracts at this stage. Are they holding off to see what happens in other teams and in this case HRT before they do sign anybody.
From what I have read regarding the Walkinshaw saga is that HRT are supplied cars parts equipment and pit crews from the Walkinshaw stable , perhaps Skaife is on the lowest rung in the pecking order and we are being slowly conditioned to his poor showing = the poor results devalue the driver and teams worth making a complete takeover a cheaper affair and less concern from the public because of the constant poor results - Even Crompton has stopped talking about Skaife and HRT so perhaps the end for Skaife and his HRT ownership/association is nigh -
Old 5 Nov 2007, 06:49 (Ref:2059823)   #12
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'd doubt Murphy would move, Holdsworth would be a good pickup I'd reckon (if a deal could be struck), maybe Tander would be keen if his current team mate persists in punting him (no penalty, what a load of BS). It depends who moves, if Skaife did go Tander is a natural choice, if Todd went then Holdsworth.
Old 5 Nov 2007, 08:16 (Ref:2059858)   #13
doug05
Rookie

Australia
Brisbane
doug05 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I sure hope there will be some big changes come for next season, but changes which actually achieve results...

Not sure if one should be replacing Skaife, but i reckon one good one could be to get a proper 'A' class driver in as his teammate. I just dont think Todd can be compared in the same light as Lowndes/Bright etc. I would love to see Tander there, the rivalry would be great, just as it was between Lowndes and Skaife. However I cannot see that ever happening.

But as a very long time supporter of HRT, it is becoming embarrassing, watching their performances this year (not to mention basically from 03 to now), continual car/crew and driver stuff ups. Apart from a couple glimpses of hope at Adelaide and EC this has been another very very disappointing season, to the point where i expect to see cars 2 and 22 down the back of the pack... harsh but true, but i will keep supporting in the faint hope of success again one day.
Old 5 Nov 2007, 08:59 (Ref:2059892)   #14
smokinJ
Racer

smokinJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
xyrsti
Walkinshaw was like that when Brock was racing too
Brocks stuff would always brake and it appeared that Tom was playing favourites
and tourer I think you will find that the guys from Gibson left when the Winfield left
Gibson had no sponsor and no money he couldnt even feld a car for all rounds
and Skaife was dipping in to his own pocket to keep the show on the road
Old 5 Nov 2007, 09:54 (Ref:2059944)   #15
xrystl
Racer

Pitcairn Islands
gold coast
xrystl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokinJ
xyrsti
Walkinshaw was like that when Brock was racing too
Brocks stuff would always brake and it appeared that Tom was playing favourites
and tourer I think you will find that the guys from Gibson left when the Winfield left
Gibson had no sponsor and no money he couldnt even feld a car for all rounds
and Skaife was dipping in to his own pocket to keep the show on the road
I also thought Brock was poorly treated the last few years he raced - I guess that manipulation within a team or a group is legal - from my side of the fence I see one puppeteer and a lot of unhappy puppets with little control of their future , the puppeteer has been around too long and his only concern is himself and the almighty $$$$ - piddly rules and regulations are only there to keep the honest, honest .
Old 5 Nov 2007, 13:13 (Ref:2060148)   #16
deeks6
Veteran

deeks6 User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Ah, Walkinshoddy ... why is it that everything he is associated with ends up in some sort of fight?

Guess they don't learn ... go to bed with dogs and wake up with fleas ... is that the old saying?
Old 5 Nov 2007, 21:36 (Ref:2060590)   #17
Phase3
Veteran

Australia
Always Amazing, Ever Changing Gold Coast
Phase3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSbaby
Right now, Murphy is a wasted talent. Get him over there (HRT) fast.
Murp's had his day at HRT and squandered the unloseable championship.

Can't say i feel sorry for anyone who gets into bed with walkinshoddy, that bloke will be the death of V8's........
Old 5 Nov 2007, 23:11 (Ref:2060689)   #18
VIVAWAGON
Rookie

Australia
VIVAWAGON should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jason Richards

What about Jason Richards.
Old 5 Nov 2007, 23:19 (Ref:2060696)   #19
Used Car
Racer

Alderney
In the big house without my wife & kids
Used Car should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That ad in the funny papers..

Why couldnt it be a restaffing of HRT.. and the current HRT get punted to BJR?

I would be a bit nervous if I was wearing Team BOC gear and being paid for it at the moment..

(BOOT)

To all whose lives I have touched in my short time here, may your eggs turn into chickens and kick your house down.
Old 5 Nov 2007, 23:57 (Ref:2060728)   #20
cavvy
Veteran

cavvy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the green eyed monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeks6
Ah, Walkinshoddy ... why is it that everything he is associated with ends up in some sort of fight?

Guess they don't learn ... go to bed with dogs and wake up with fleas ... is that the old saying?
Green eyed, all with a bluish tinge!

The same old suspects peddling the same old .... when HRT were winning it was because someone was cheating .. hypocrites in blue from the far queue !!

At least they were forced to give up the cheating diatribe by 888 lifting their game, but still they trot out the same pathetic lines.

HRT are under the hammer because they are not performing -non performers in motor racing deserve to be under the hammer - it is a put up or shut up business. HRT are doing the self discipline Ford teams needed to do to get up the front on a consistent basis earlier in the year.

Last edited by cavvy; 6 Nov 2007 at 00:00.
Old 6 Nov 2007, 00:31 (Ref:2060745)   #21
deeks6
Veteran

deeks6 User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavvy
Green eyed, all with a bluish tinge!

The same old suspects peddling the same old .... when HRT were winning it was because someone was cheating .. hypocrites in blue from the far queue !!

At least they were forced to give up the cheating diatribe by 888 lifting their game, but still they trot out the same pathetic lines.

HRT are under the hammer because they are not performing -non performers in motor racing deserve to be under the hammer - it is a put up or shut up business. HRT are doing the self discipline Ford teams needed to do to get up the front on a consistent basis earlier in the year.
Amazing how you can read between lines ... that ARE'NT THERE!

I am very anti-Walkinshoddy, yes, because every single thing he has been involved with in motor racing has ended in tears. And tears for someone else, not him. He is a proven cheat (check your BTCC and F1 history), deal breaker and orchestrated the most shameful episode in ATCC history at PI last year. He eats his own (check Arrows history).

The latest victim is, no doubt, Mark Skaife. He has been put through the wringer with the ownership farce and has come out of it worse off financially (i'm guessing) and worse off with his racing because of the undoubted additional stress. Now, I'm no fan of the Nose but, quite frankly, it's a shame that one of the best drivers in this country's history has made more mistakes in the last 2-3 years than he did in the preceding 15. he has almost completely lost the plot at the moment.

Past kills include Craig Lowndes and Greg Murphy ...

Despite my jocularity on the subject, I am not "anti-Holden" at all in that if there is no Holden, there is no series. I am, however, VERY anti-bad sportsmanship (PI 06) and VERY anti-rule bending (anything Walkinshoddy).

So ... no Blue Mist there at all. Just trying to keep Australian motorsport free of poison elements.

In fact, what I would LOVE to see is Skaife hijacked by Ford for the last few years of his career (freed from ownership crap) and stuck in a competitve car (like an SBR instead of Dumb-bell). THEN I'd like to see how he'd go against the Walkinshoddy foursome ... that would be worth watching.
Old 6 Nov 2007, 00:53 (Ref:2060757)   #22
SSbaby
Veteran

Australia
SSbaby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phase3
Murp's had his day at HRT and squandered the unloseable championship.

Can't say i feel sorry for anyone who gets into bed with walkinshoddy, that bloke will be the death of V8's........
Why was it the unloseable ch/ship? B/c Lowndes won it the previous year? Murphy did make some mistakes that season but HRT also had some reliability dramas. Seton won that year because he was the most consistent performer with the most reliable car. Not because he was fastest.

That was a long time ago and Murphy has proved he is consistently quick. If he is not winning championships, he could be lending his support to other Holden front runners with occasional wins. Can't win them all.

Murphy for HRT!
Old 6 Nov 2007, 00:55 (Ref:2060758)   #23
Used Car
Racer

Alderney
In the big house without my wife & kids
Used Car should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSbaby
Murphy for HRT!
I agree. They need a major change to keep them in the back of the grid. This will pretty much do it

To all whose lives I have touched in my short time here, may your eggs turn into chickens and kick your house down.
Old 6 Nov 2007, 02:34 (Ref:2060790)   #24
Wood-duck
Racer

Wood-duck should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeks6
Amazing how you can read between lines ... that ARE'NT THERE!

I am very anti-Walkinshoddy, yes, because every single thing he has been involved with in motor racing has ended in tears. And tears for someone else, not him. He is a proven cheat (check your BTCC and F1 history), deal breaker and orchestrated the most shameful episode in ATCC history at PI last year. He eats his own (check Arrows history).

The latest victim is, no doubt, Mark Skaife. He has been put through the wringer with the ownership farce and has come out of it worse off financially (i'm guessing) and worse off with his racing because of the undoubted additional stress. Now, I'm no fan of the Nose but, quite frankly, it's a shame that one of the best drivers in this country's history has made more mistakes in the last 2-3 years than he did in the preceding 15. he has almost completely lost the plot at the moment.

Past kills include Craig Lowndes and Greg Murphy ...

Despite my jocularity on the subject, I am not "anti-Holden" at all in that if there is no Holden, there is no series. I am, however, VERY anti-bad sportsmanship (PI 06) and VERY anti-rule bending (anything Walkinshoddy).

So ... no Blue Mist there at all. Just trying to keep Australian motorsport free of poison elements.

In fact, what I would LOVE to see is Skaife hijacked by Ford for the last few years of his career (freed from ownership crap) and stuck in a competitve car (like an SBR instead of Dumb-bell). THEN I'd like to see how he'd go against the Walkinshoddy foursome ... that would be worth watching.
Very profound Deeks... There is no doubt that a fair percentage of Aggro seems to eminate from the Walkinshaw performance group. 20 years ago he cost Dick Johnson a Bathurst win with endless protesting only to result in his own car being disqualified because of an 'infringement'. Many still havent forgiven him for the debacle that was Bathurst, 1988....

He certainly is peerless in his ruthless approach to winning. The form is undoubted. Where he goes, pain follows for most around. Last years blockathon that was the 'grand finale' was a testament to his view on how the 'sport' turns into a 'business' at all costs.

The V8 series had him gone after the collapse of TWR, but somehow he muscled his way back in...and is now again one of the most powerful people in the pit lane.

Skaife is being set up for a dive. No doubt. Perhaps the test ride at Club Larry was more of a 'dress rehearsal' than a friendly exchange of ideas. Skaife is still the ultimate predator and knows the sounds of knives sharpening better than most. He will have a 'plan B'. Also explains the rumours surrounding the older Kelly. Stand by for the exodus from HRT.

Skaife in black ? it could happen.
Old 6 Nov 2007, 02:39 (Ref:2060792)   #25
6.213km
Veteran

6.213km should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid6.213km should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think the great man called it "character building" did he not?

As a HRT supporter i've gotten used to poor results from Mark over the last few years. It has been character building for everyone involved, and it makes it worthwhile when the team do get a result.

I was there at Winton this year, and I was dumbfounded at what I saw - then next round at EC - victory. He still has what it takes to win races, but he doesnt seem to take what he needs to most rounds.

There is definently something going on under brakes - he loses it far to much over cooking it and spinning out far too often. His starts this year have been better then the last few years - but last round the stall in race 3, and you have to wonder dont you.

As for rain driving - he's never been great in the rain anyway - this year he's been SHOCKING ! but wet weather driving has never been his strong point. He is a steady and smooth kind of driver, look after the tyres. Always takes a few laps to get up to speed, but its all about looking after the car so its as good as it can be at the end of the race.

My honest belief is that Mark is a great driver at getting 9.5/10th out of the car during a race. He is one of the best at looking after the car, but when he's pushed really hard he seems to make silly mistakes. In the VT/VX era he was in a position where the car did nothing wrong, where the opposition did everything wrong, and driving at 9.5/10ths was good enough to win every day of the week.

It is different now, and as a HRT supporter, you watch and wait for something to go wrong. To be fair, the crew are not on their game in the pits - you'd have to say FPR, 888 and Toll punch out quicker stops on a more regular basis.

Overall, i believe changes need to be made. Just what those changes are I'm not sure. I'd be sad to see Mark go, infact, i'm not sure i'd be interested in watching V8's. What holden lacks is personalities - Skaife polarises people, and thats a good thing. I just can get my head around having to support Todd Kelly, Rick Kelly, even Garth... Murph would be the man most likely to get my support - Lets hope Tasman get the wiggle out of the VE's tail and get it to put is power down better.

I am not convinced however, that Tom Walkinshaw is to blame - Holden has had a lot of success because of this man - he's been associated with a hell of a lot of recent championship and bathurst victories. Without him Ford teams would have a lot more scores on the board. This is probably part of the reason why so many from the blue side want him gone.