Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Closed Thread

Old 1 Jan 2023, 05:32 (Ref:4138634)   #1151
numbnuts
Rookie

numbnuts should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How does one watch the racing this year ?
Could someone list some providers and the fees please .
Thank you .
Old 1 Jan 2023, 06:24 (Ref:4138638)   #1152
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by numbnuts View Post
How does one watch the racing this year ?
Could someone list some providers and the fees please .
Thank you .
Your location would help. ie Aus or O/S.

This is a starting point.

https://www.supercars.com/superview/

Im sure there are other Streaming services
https://kayosports.com.au/
https://www.stan.com.au/
They might only be relevant for Australia though.

This might be of interest. But, again, it all depends where you are.

https://www.sportspromedia.com/news/...sso_ott=NkN7sj
Old 1 Jan 2023, 17:08 (Ref:4138676)   #1153
numbnuts
Rookie

numbnuts should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks E.B .
Old 1 Jan 2023, 17:30 (Ref:4138677)   #1154
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I thought last season was good. Maybe not as good as other seasons, but definitely the series is getting back on track
Old 4 Jan 2023, 06:00 (Ref:4138860)   #1155
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Where are the car numbers and/or driver names going on the sides of the Gen3 cars?

There doesn’t look to be room for both in the window area and a rumour mid last year had the numbers going back on the doors (presumably TCR style rather than NASCAR style though)
Old 4 Jan 2023, 08:19 (Ref:4138868)   #1156
bathurst77
Veteran

Australia
Biding my time in Vandemonia
bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!
I do like the look of the 2 cars. Like many I thought the 2022 mustang was ugly and the zb with rwd v8 a silly concept. so Im looking forward to seeing how they go. All parity testing right now is guess work. Like preseason testing in f1, the numbers are interesting but the first few rounds can turn up very different results.

Im not a big fan of the total parity thing they have going on with making sure the engines power and torque curves are almost identical and same with areo and chassis. I think it would mix things up more if one car had more power the other better brakes etc (GTHO vs xu1) at different tracks diifferent cars would shine. And you get the power car passing down conrod and the nimble car nipping under at the chase or over the top. If they are identical mechanically and eero wise, we will see close racing but maybe limited passing as nobody has that 10kph extra. If one brand dominates, give them rev limit or ballast, ETC

Next thing there will need to be push to pass, fan boost and drs
Old 4 Jan 2023, 10:13 (Ref:4138878)   #1157
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
There have been a load of old races added to Facebook Watch in recent weeks.. when you see the 'good old days' you saw a bunch of cars with strengths and weaknesses aligned to driver skill, and not just mechanical prowess of the engineers

The racing was good, with loads of passing... it was a different style.. not running to a plan.. seemingly balls out from start to finish.. except it isnt quite like that

Will return to that with Gen3? Maybe
Some teams are saying how great it will be to have a level playing field
I suppose if you consider no team has a fully completed, drivable car right now, then their aim is achieved

I think the Mustang looks more highly developed from an aero perspective, with bulges and framing of pieces more similar to current spec than perhaps the Camaro. That said, painting the Camaro black means you dont really have a sense of its shapes...

And why BJR are providing home grown videos about chassis, making suspension bits and what the steering wheel looks like... when the category should have been sharing that professionally with someone like Mr Larkham at the controls.. is odd...

Lets just get the field on track at the end of the month and see if they all exist, if they all run, and who does what to make that happen

Everything else is just posturing...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 4 Jan 2023, 20:55 (Ref:4138946)   #1158
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
There have been a load of old races added to Facebook Watch in recent weeks.. when you see the 'good old days' you saw a bunch of cars with strengths and weaknesses aligned to driver skill, and not just mechanical prowess of the engineers
It's the engineers who put the relative strengths and weaknesses in the cars in the Project Blueprint era IIRC, (e.g., Walkinshaw cars with good drive off the corners, good for street circuits, FPR cars set up stiffer with good mid-corner speed good for high-speed circuits etc) when they had relative design freedoms to build their touring car how they wished.

I'm not sure if this is going to work in Gen 3.
Old 5 Jan 2023, 08:23 (Ref:4138964)   #1159
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Interesting to see the first ‘almost complete’ Gen3 car is shown off, and it’s a BRT car.. from the minnows of the field…

Where are the rest at?
Old 6 Jan 2023, 17:44 (Ref:4139118)   #1160
AnnoyedMoose
Racer

AnnoyedMoose should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAnnoyedMoose should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post

And why BJR are providing home grown videos about chassis, making suspension bits and what the steering wheel looks like... when the category should have been sharing that professionally with someone like Mr Larkham at the controls.. is odd...
There's loads of detailed Gen3 content with Larko on the SuperCars YouTube channel.
Old 7 Jan 2023, 04:26 (Ref:4139144)   #1161
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnoyedMoose View Post
There's loads of detailed Gen3 content with Larko on the SuperCars YouTube channel.
Not of the team specific application..
888 have like a half dozen of these in build, BJR has four at least, Tickford have four... where are updates from there?

Arent the teams supposed to be getting all excited that they got rid of their Gen2 cars to new homes, and these brand new shiny Gen3 things are here to begin a new era of the sport...
Old 7 Jan 2023, 06:23 (Ref:4139147)   #1162
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnoyedMoose View Post
Larko rabbiting on about how awesome Gen3 is going to be is completely different to information on how teams are going getting through actual products on track

All indications are it’s not gone as “awesome” as Larko told us it would….
Old 7 Jan 2023, 06:38 (Ref:4139148)   #1163
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
Larko rabbiting on about how awesome Gen3 is going to be is completely different to information on how teams are going getting through actual products on track

Hasnt Team (as opposed to Prototype) testing already been postponed from the original (ISTR) mid December plan, to then a January date but now postponed until late in the first week of February ?
Old 7 Jan 2023, 08:47 (Ref:4139163)   #1164
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:

No aero kits to be seen yet, homologation still ongoing
Some parts remain undelivered, in body parts, suspension and lots of under the covers stuff

It will undoubtedly be all right on the night... but why is it so upside down?

And why are the media asleep?
Old 7 Jan 2023, 11:47 (Ref:4139178)   #1165
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
tux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
So, im not like an expert in Supercars or anything but i remember watching a few videos on "behind the scenes" stuff and i remember seeing teams with full on CNC machines, engine departments etc. I was surprised tbh at how big and involved it all was for cars that all seemed to be pretty much the same. What happens to all this stuff now? They just sell up? Or do the teams produce their own parts to the specs that "Supercars" set?
Old 8 Jan 2023, 22:15 (Ref:4139260)   #1166
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
bluesport User had had their licence endorsedbluesport User had had their licence endorsed
Lol@holden

https://www.supercars.com/news/champ...ter-ford-move/

Last edited by bluesport; 8 Jan 2023 at 22:23.
Old 9 Jan 2023, 00:59 (Ref:4139273)   #1167
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by tux View Post
Or do the teams produce their own parts to the specs that "Supercars" set?
The latter.

You'd think with the spare capacity, that more of these engineering operations would back themselves to build and design mass-produced GT4, GT3 or TCR cars for the global racing car export market.

Granted there are now more than a few of what Larry Perkins would call "bolties" in the field though, operations that simply bolt stuff on and off without that fabrication or machining capability.
Old 9 Jan 2023, 04:58 (Ref:4139282)   #1168
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Fireworks View Post
You'd think with the spare capacity, that more of these engineering operations would back themselves to build and design mass-produced GT4, GT3 or TCR cars for the global racing car export market.
TCR is stagnant and will never get any better than it is now - which isn't that great. Manufacturers are leaving, some to eTCR which is a whole other thing and I think may not last.

The GT3 move for DTM caused the series to collapse, so those ideas are all literal fantasy.
Old 9 Jan 2023, 18:58 (Ref:4139417)   #1169
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
The latter.

For good customer support they need a base in Europe and North America.
Old 9 Jan 2023, 18:59 (Ref:4139418)   #1170
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
TCR is stagnant and will never get any better than it is now - which isn't that great. Manufacturers are leaving, some to eTCR which is a whole other thing and I think may not last.

The GT3 move for DTM caused the series to collapse, so those ideas are all literal fantasy.
Without GT3 the DTM would no longer exist.
Old 10 Jan 2023, 02:18 (Ref:4139478)   #1171
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

Quote:

All very negative views. At least those categories do provide a global market for selling racing cars to standard regulations. TCR and GT3 mass-production keeps the lights on at JAS Motorsport for example, as much as some may view the classes as "not great" and "ripe for collapse". Competitive homologations made out of as-yet-unhomologated vehicles could potentially be good sellers.

So where was "Supercars" in arranging a common set of affordable, sensible regulations with DTM organisers? With both series racing high-performance coupes, a common set of regulations would have been ideal!

Last edited by V8 Fireworks; 10 Jan 2023 at 02:29.
Old 10 Jan 2023, 04:03 (Ref:4139494)   #1172
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
So where was "Supercars" in arranging a common set of affordable, sensible regulations with DTM organisers? With both series racing high-performance coupes, a common set of regulations would have been ideal!
Is your lack of awareness that bad?

DTM had incredibly expensive cars and instead of seeking a cost effective solution they got in bed with the Super GT which arguably was even more expensive, which led to them adopting GT3 after the manufacturers left. This led to the financial collapse of the promoter and it's sale.

Unclear to me what the future is for the DTM, it can't be "just another GT3" series but that's what it seems to be now.
Old 13 Jan 2023, 11:32 (Ref:4140029)   #1173
one five five
Veteran

Quote:
What manufacturers have left TCR that competed in 2022?

Quote:
Pardon?

Going to GT3 saved the DTM! It was dead in the water with the Class One rules after 2020, moving to GT3 gave it two more years under ITR, and continues into 2023 with ADAC taking over
Old 15 Jan 2023, 22:24 (Ref:4140253)   #1174
Mixer
Veteran

Quote:
What manufacturers have left TCR that competed in 2022?
Nice way to cherry pick - plenty left before 2022 (many to eTCR). There will not be any new ones. TCR has peaked and it is never going to grow from here.

Quote:
Going to GT3 saved the DTM! It was dead in the water with the Class One rules after 2020, moving to GT3 gave it two more years under ITR, and continues into 2023 with ADAC taking over
Continues... After it caused the organiser to collapse. I'd suggest it won't exist in 2 years.
Old 15 Jan 2023, 23:07 (Ref:4140258)   #1175
Matt K
Veteran

Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Continues... After it caused the organiser to collapse. I'd suggest it won't exist in 2 years.
Not saying that you're definitely wrong but honestly saying I can't really see ADAC causing the DTM to collapse. Not in the next few years at least. If they keep the DTM on the top of their 'pyramid' I guess it's more probable for GT Masters to collapse or merging both series together but can't really see DTM disappearing that easily under ADAC's helm. At the end of the day their financial model and resources are different to ITR. ITR has relied on big cash coming directly from manufacturers for years. Their model proved unsustainable after switching to GT3 and that's what made them collapse. In these new circumstances ADAC is, I believe, better prepared to handle the - let's be honest - most popular German championship. The question is rather how bold they'll be with long-term plans for the DTM and German motorsport scene in general.
Closed Thread