Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 2 Jan 2013, 14:00 (Ref:3183813)   #176
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thank god for that!!!!!!!!
Old 2 Jan 2013, 16:09 (Ref:3183856)   #177
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
These new small cheapo's like the Kia Picanto can serve a purpose though (a 7 year warranty !) and good MPG are ok for dodging about in and parking around town.
But my endless supply of Mot failures for sod all do the job for me and you don't notice any new dents or worry about it getting nicked
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 3 Jan 2013, 17:35 (Ref:3184256)   #178
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
These new small cheapo's like the Kia Picanto can serve a purpose though (a 7 year warranty !) and good MPG are ok for dodging about in and parking around town.
But my endless supply of Mot failures for sod all do the job for me and you don't notice any new dents or worry about it getting nicked
Bangernomics rules if you can weild a spanner.....though soon it'll have to be a laptop...

The Dacias do seem to be good value though...and a lot better dynamically than the Lada Estates that my Dad used to buy as he needed a cheap, but new hence hopefully reliable vehicle for transporting my disabled Mother. To be fair they did what he needed of them...... They were pretty tough, too as I found out when rallying Ladas in the Lada Challenge series....
Old 3 Jan 2013, 18:47 (Ref:3184278)   #179
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
Bangernomics rules if you can weild a spanner.....though soon it'll have to be a laptop...

Ha ha yes but I have to use a laptop on most cars I work on these days including runabout old bangers.
The only problem I have is with the laptops themselves, leaving them on rooftops and running over them doesn't do them any favors !
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 9 Jan 2013, 22:49 (Ref:3187072)   #180
MJones94
Racer

United Kingdom
MJones94 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
An Aston martin Cygnet with the plate: 'CY09NET' in Milton Keynes. It is such a pointless car, yet is probably rarer than the other models such as the DB9/Vantage/Rapide etc.
Old 10 Jan 2013, 08:04 (Ref:3187197)   #181
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The first person on here to buy a Dacia Sandero gets a special user title of "James May".

If you see that as an incentive, you probably need to get out more.
Old 1 Mar 2013, 10:28 (Ref:3212665)   #182
nicanary
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Newtownards Co.Down
nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!
I've just seen a Chrysler Delta (nee Lancia, nee Fiat). Looked just like any other Euro-saloon, except the shield grille looks too small for the front of the car.

But I immediately thought - WHY? Unless it was forced on you as a company car, or was a demonstrator (there were no decals to indicate this), why would you buy one over something boring but sensible like a Mondeo? It has no class-leading qualities of any sort, and will depreciate faster than the album of last year's X-Factor winner.

When did Fiat last make a good "medium/large" car? The 130?
Old 1 Mar 2013, 10:51 (Ref:3212671)   #183
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicanary View Post
I've just seen a Chrysler Delta (nee Lancia, nee Fiat). Looked just like any other Euro-saloon, except the shield grille looks too small for the front of the car.

But I immediately thought - WHY? Unless it was forced on you as a company car, or was a demonstrator (there were no decals to indicate this), why would you buy one over something boring but sensible like a Mondeo? It has no class-leading qualities of any sort, and will depreciate faster than the album of last year's X-Factor winner.

When did Fiat last make a good "medium/large" car? The 130?
Can't say I entirely agree with you. I think it is rather-good looking, especially with a two-tone paint job. Thankfully it is still a Lancia this side of La Manche & I see it as a potential replacement for my Alfa 156 - the 159 is simply bigger than I need & I'm not wild about the Giulietta.

The Delta is a bit tardis-like with leg room in the back reminding me of an Austin 1800! I once owned a Lancia Beta, one of the best cars I ever owned, & at the time I had back trouble - the Lancia seats were superb & it was actually the only place I was comfortable, which was just as well as I had a 32-mile commute to work.
Old 1 Mar 2013, 12:06 (Ref:3212690)   #184
nicanary
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Newtownards Co.Down
nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!
No offence intended John. Here in the UK public perception still rules - all French/Italian cars are supposedly unreliable and hence will have poor residual values. So unless the Delta has some astonishing redeeming feature, it will fare badly. The odd thing is, cars such as BMW and Audi are perceived as "quality engineering" when in fact their reliability records are nothing special.

I agree that it's not a bad-looking car, but when I spotted it I thought it was a Laguna or Kia - so many cars look like that these days. Lancia always managed years ago to produce something a little bit different.

I personally think Fiat/Chrysler have missed the boat - all the grief over rusting problems was long,long ago, and a new generation of buyers has come along who know nothing about those days. Brand awareness rules, and snobbery , and I reckon a fancy name like Lancia, especially if promoted along with their past sporting background and record of engineering innovation, would attract buyers - unlike the name of Chrysler.

But what would I know?
Old 1 Mar 2013, 12:27 (Ref:3212696)   #185
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicanary View Post
No offence intended John. Here in the UK public perception still rules - all French/Italian cars are supposedly unreliable and hence will have poor residual values. So unless the Delta has some astonishing redeeming feature, it will fare badly. The odd thing is, cars such as BMW and Audi are perceived as "quality engineering" when in fact their reliability records are nothing special.

I agree that it's not a bad-looking car, but when I spotted it I thought it was a Laguna or Kia - so many cars look like that these days. Lancia always managed years ago to produce something a little bit different.

I personally think Fiat/Chrysler have missed the boat - all the grief over rusting problems was long,long ago, and a new generation of buyers has come along who know nothing about those days. Brand awareness rules, and snobbery , and I reckon a fancy name like Lancia, especially if promoted along with their past sporting background and record of engineering innovation, would attract buyers - unlike the name of Chrysler.

But what would I know?
No offence taken! I do get tired of constant unfounded criticism of Italian (particularly) and French cars, usually from people who have no experience of them. You only have to see the predictable tirade of knocking comments every time Alfa Romeo is mentioned on another forum (think you will know the one I mean!).

I have owned a succession of Fiat/Lancia/Alfa models continuously since 1971; all of them have been high mileage & all have been reliable. We also have a Peugeot 205 as second car, just a basic Junior. In seven years it has never let us down, lives outside, never failed to start all through the recent bad winters. There are still thousands of them running around here. Likewise other French cars such as Renault 5, 19, 21 & 25, Citroen 2CV, AX, ZX, Peugeot 305, 405 etc which rather puts the lie to the theory they are not built to last. The French market is very different to the British & does not have the same ridiculous levels of depreciation & consequently they get looked after & retain a decent value.
Old 1 Mar 2013, 15:38 (Ref:3212772)   #186
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
As if to underline my previous comments, spied a very pretty, very original Peugeot 204 Cabriolet in town this afternoon. Red with a black hardtop.
Old 1 Mar 2013, 17:56 (Ref:3212819)   #187
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJones94 View Post
An Aston martin Cygnet with the plate: 'CY09NET' in Milton Keynes. It is such a pointless car, yet is probably rarer than the other models such as the DB9/Vantage/Rapide etc.
why would you want to pay that much for a Toyota IQ??