Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 28 Mar 2011, 06:58 (Ref:2854658)   #51
andy_b
Veteran

Canada
Vancouver (I escaped from UK)
andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Hans View Post
"Oxford are pushing on. Do Cambridge have a problem? Woof!...etc"
Up the hill, down the hill. this moment is crutial

I liked DC and Martin. Worked well together. lacked a bit of drama, but at least they knew what they were talking about.

I found (BBC commentary Canadian channel) DC was a little quiet in the mix as well.
Old 28 Mar 2011, 07:39 (Ref:2854670)   #52
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Martin has tweeted that it's agreed on "about 80% must do better" - didn't think it was that bad.
Old 28 Mar 2011, 08:27 (Ref:2854692)   #53
neil_davidson2
TT Photo Of The Year Winner - 2009 & 2010
Veteran

England
Swindon, UK
neil_davidson2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridneil_davidson2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think it was a good solid start and not at all intrusive as previous incumbents have been.

Towards the end I got the feeling that they were both running out of things to say but this will come with time as they settle into the roles.
Old 28 Mar 2011, 08:31 (Ref:2854699)   #54
Flavio Galtieri
Veteran

European Union
Modena
Flavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think that for us, on this forum, the commentary was fine.

I just wonder if it's not getting just a little too technical for the casual viewer, who also pay their licence fee?

Ben Edwards and Martin Brundle would be my dream team. One a professional commentator who was no mean racing driver and the other a professional racing driver who is pretty good at commentating.
Old 28 Mar 2011, 08:33 (Ref:2854700)   #55
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V View Post
Martin has tweeted that it's agreed on "about 80% must do better" - didn't think it was that bad.
It certainly wasn't, but that's reassuring to hear they're striving for even better.

I thought it was nigh on faultless tbh. I barely noticed the commentary was there, which is usually a good thing in a way.

With Legard, I found myself mentally correcting him!

Selby
Old 28 Mar 2011, 08:35 (Ref:2854703)   #56
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
I watched the Indy Car race yesterday evening and the (American) commentator said "battle joined!". Glad to see JL has left a lasting influence on motorsport commentary.
Old 28 Mar 2011, 08:49 (Ref:2854712)   #57
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil_davidson2 View Post
Towards the end I got the feeling that they were both running out of things to say but this will come with time as they settle into the roles.
Yes I know, that's the trouble with F1 races though. I guess at least former races like these two can come up with some technical bumph to go on about whereas a non insider (like several previous commentators) would be just jabbering on about nothing and driving us up the wall!
Old 28 Mar 2011, 08:57 (Ref:2854717)   #58
MrTTraces
Veteran

Zimbabwe
A place where the coffee is cold!
MrTTraces should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought that they did a decent job. Lacked the excitement of Murray Walker but I think they'll improve.
Old 28 Mar 2011, 09:04 (Ref:2854725)   #59
Mr V
Veteran

England
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTTraces View Post
I thought that they did a decent job. Lacked the excitement of Murray Walker but I think they'll improve.
But that's like comparing Jeff Stelling to Des Lynam, 2 totally different characters (albeit equally proffessional).
Old 28 Mar 2011, 09:06 (Ref:2854727)   #60
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Stelling would make an awesome F1 commentator. "Here comes Paul di Resta. Hoping to beat di Resta the drivers. Heh heh."
Old 28 Mar 2011, 09:26 (Ref:2854735)   #61
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
TrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregc View Post
This is the key point - fairly quickly I stopped noticing it was "commentary" as such, it was more like having a couple of exceptionally knowledgeable mates round to watch the race with. Excellent job.
I hope MB and DC read that, because that sums it up perfectly for me.

I watch the programme to see a Grand Prix, not listen to commentators. They are there just to fill in useful information that I can't see for myself, and informed opinion. I don't need someone yelling "Goooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!" at the start: I can see the race has started.

My only criticism was Martin's delivery at the start of the qually programme. There were some very deliberate pauses and every third word was spoken in CAPITALS. After a few minutes I didn't notice it any more, so either I was concentrating too much on judging the commentary at the beginning, or he stopped doing it once he relaxed into the job.

So, to steal a bit of their Rubens Barichello gag, "Do they deserve 99% or 100% marks?" 99%. That will leave them with room for a bit of improvement in the coming races.
Old 28 Mar 2011, 11:49 (Ref:2854807)   #62
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapezeArtist View Post
My only criticism was Martin's delivery at the start of the qually programme. There were some very deliberate pauses and every third word was spoken in CAPITALS. After a few minutes I didn't notice it any more, so either I was concentrating too much on judging the commentary at the beginning, or he stopped doing it once he relaxed into the job.
It sounded to me like he was reading the intro - as you say it didn't sound entirely natural. After that he sounded fine.
Old 29 Mar 2011, 01:14 (Ref:2855158)   #63
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_b View Post

I found (BBC commentary Canadian channel) DC was a little quiet in the mix as well.
DC's pretty soft-spoken so while I think they probably have the mics mixed equally his voice tends to get buried a bit more, though I thought they were both pretty audible on BBC OneHD. I think DC's vocal range is a touch higher pitched than Martin's so maybe he gets lost a little in the ambient engine noise; my recollection of last year is that he was quite quiet in his in-race comments but more easily heard in the pitlane segment after the race.

I think the 80% rating from Martin's Twitter is overly low, but it's good to see them striving for more. MB is very much a racer still and probably holds that mentality where 100% really means absolute maximum possible in a perfect world!
Old 29 Mar 2011, 01:42 (Ref:2855165)   #64
cmotd
Racer

Australia
cmotd should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I just watched the first Indycar race of the season at St Petersburg and compared to the useless clowns that ESPN uses to do their commentary every year, MB & DC are Gods of Commentary (GoC's)
Old 29 Mar 2011, 13:38 (Ref:2855401)   #65
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
I think DC's mike was set fairly low or he didn't keep the mike close to his face. Small quibbles though.
Old 29 Mar 2011, 13:47 (Ref:2855408)   #66
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
I think DC's mike was set too low or he didn't keep the mike close to his face. All small quibbles though.
Unlike DC, you seem to have no problem getting your point across.
Old 29 Mar 2011, 14:49 (Ref:2855437)   #67
mikenunn-78
Racer

United Kingdom
mikenunn-78 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've only seen the first few laps and the commentary seemed OK, a bit forced at the start but that sounded like nerves... Seeing the Legard comments on here I think he had every right to be nervous!
Old 30 Mar 2011, 09:21 (Ref:2855775)   #68
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Yeh I think Martin was reading from a script as far as the intro goes, and that'll only get smoother as time goes on.

The intro does tend to be quite lengthy and detailed, so it's no wonder it's scripted. It was slightly noticeable, but like I said, in time that will improve, i'm sure!

Selby
Old 30 Mar 2011, 12:52 (Ref:2855871)   #69
MacMan
Racer

Australia
Perth
MacMan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the Schumacher tyre missing aside, minimal mistakes and it seemed very natural and unobtrusive unlike JA and JL.

I think ultimately everyone wants Murray Walker back (even though his mistakes could be annoying we mostly forgave him for it) the Martin and David show is going to be a great success fo watchers of F1.

7 out of 10 from me.
Old 30 Mar 2011, 13:46 (Ref:2855907)   #70
Mr V
Veteran

England
Put it this way, if this doesn't work and we and the rest of the internet world don't like Martin in his new role, then we're screwed, because it's all anybody has really wanted.
Old 1 Apr 2011, 08:51 (Ref:2856701)   #71
jobdone
Racer

jobdone should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I very much enjoyed it, was quite refreshing as someone else said to basically hear mates chatting about the race rather than just shouting over the top of it.

There's room to improve for sure, but that's only natural when they've just done the one race.
Old 1 Apr 2011, 08:59 (Ref:2856704)   #72
MarkG
Veteran

MarkG has a real shot at the podium!MarkG has a real shot at the podium!MarkG has a real shot at the podium!MarkG has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacMan View Post
I think ultimately everyone wants Murray Walker back (even though his mistakes could be annoying we mostly forgave him for it) the Martin and David show is going to be a great success fo watchers of F1.

Not everybody. I recently watched some footage on the web of past GP's and Murray was irritating. I do like the fella as a person though.

My ideal team would be Ben Edwards for professional commentary, alongside DC for F1 insight. Martin still part of the programme but he seems better suited for the grid walk and post race scrutiny.
Old 3 Apr 2011, 07:45 (Ref:2857645)   #73
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought as a team, considering it was their first event, they worked great together.

It was good to hear two racers describing the action, rather than someone yelling for the sake of it
Old 3 Apr 2011, 07:49 (Ref:2857647)   #74
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer69 View Post
...rather than someone yelling for the sake of it
I agree.

Everything they said added to the coverage. I suspect that this was particularly true for those new to the sport too.
Old 4 Apr 2011, 21:39 (Ref:2858859)   #75
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
I was talking to someone about this today and they made the interesting point that the real test for Brundle will come if and when there is a really boring race, because he is not very good at disguising his boredom, whereas someone with more general commentating experience might be better at brightening things up.

I had always thought that DC was behind the move because he wanted to increase his involvement, but it seems it was more Brundle who realised that his shelf life as a colour commentator might not last that long after Anthony Davidson, who has more recent F1 experience, received such plaudits last year. Now I think about it I have heard or read Martin say as much himself, so he's not trying to hide anything.