Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

View Poll Results: Who did you watch the race with?
Sky 20 31.75%
BBC 31 49.21%
A mixture (please state how you did it) 12 19.05%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Old 15 Apr 2012, 10:20 (Ref:3059387)   #1
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
If you have Sky, who did you watch the Chinese Grand Prix with -Sky or the BBC?

Which was it?

I ended up with Sky for most the race commentary (although the commentators' sound levels were too low, but Crofty is always loud), but switched to the BBC as soon as the race was done.
Old 15 Apr 2012, 10:24 (Ref:3059391)   #2
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
The beeb, but only out of interest of how it would compare, back to Sky from now on though.
Old 15 Apr 2012, 10:42 (Ref:3059408)   #3
St00ge
Veteran

St00ge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Had the international Sky feed and compared to the Beeb feed I had I much preferred the beeb. They seemed to cut to their own cameras in pit lane more and had replays of incidents that sky just did not do, they were at the mercy of the FOM feed choice of replays it seemed as when MS had that bad pitstop my beeb had already shown a replay of the stop while my sky feed (on OneHD) had MS on the grass getting out then cut to an ad.
Old 15 Apr 2012, 10:51 (Ref:3059413)   #4
Mr V
Veteran

England
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by St00ge View Post

sky feed (on OneHD) had MS on the grass getting out then cut to an ad.
An ad Sky don't show adverts during the race?
Old 15 Apr 2012, 11:02 (Ref:3059418)   #5
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The Beeb.

Lazenby, Georgie et al erode my soul.

Did Martin do an in depth technical feature on the upgrade of his wallet capacity?
Old 15 Apr 2012, 11:06 (Ref:3059423)   #6
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Looking forward to the Andretti legends programme though. It is an hour too, promising!
Old 15 Apr 2012, 11:25 (Ref:3059445)   #7
St00ge
Veteran

St00ge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V View Post
An ad Sky don't show adverts during the race?
OneHD which uses the sky feed does in Australia, even so the BBC had already shown the replay before the ad.
Old 15 Apr 2012, 11:35 (Ref:3059453)   #8
Mr V
Veteran

England
Oh, so your in Oz .
Old 15 Apr 2012, 11:38 (Ref:3059457)   #9
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
Does it matter?

Considering there is a squillion page thread on the subject already. If this really is a contentious issue in your lives, i'll happily swap with you!
Old 15 Apr 2012, 11:42 (Ref:3059461)   #10
maximus
Veteran

United Kingdom
Yorkshire
maximus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmaximus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I watched the race on Sky, but the post race analysis on the BBC. I think the Beeb do the analysis better.
Old 15 Apr 2012, 11:55 (Ref:3059472)   #11
mikestow
Rookie

mikestow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I put my thoughts on the other Sky thread,but now have skimmed through my sky recording of the race I watched on the Beeb,to compare.I reiterate my views that I WILL WATCH WHATEVER THE BBC CAN COVER INSTEAD OF SKY.The whole BBC Team was better,opinions better,DC as good if not better tnan the greedy Brundle,and Gary Anderson when used to being an Engineer TV commentator will be excellent.I actually missed Eddie Jordan's amusing take on things and taking the **** out of Bernie from time to time.The Prelim freepractice though I find good on Sky,but maybe the BBC will do that as well for the European Races.If so then I would watch the lot on the BBC,as I do find the Sky HD Box very user unfiendly,as I have to keep hunting channels from HDMI1 or 2 or External 1 2 and then TV,which does not come up on a menu,but you have to keep hitting "help" and "TV" to get the correct one,which my Wife does not able to do on a regular basis,so causes unnecessary friction,when I am about to watch the Race on BBC Freeview,instead of BBC on Sky!!!!!!Also but digressing,I am finding the whole Sky HD thing a pain as it cuts the picture when trying out an HD format of a normal channel,so I revert back or go on Freeview!!!!Am I the only one with this problem,or is Anno Domini getting in the way????I would point out I stopped racing myself in low formulas in 1971!!!
Old 15 Apr 2012, 12:10 (Ref:3059488)   #12
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
????

No idea what problems you have going on there? Why do you need to change inputs? Everthing that's available on Freeview or terestrial should be on Sky. Should be a 1-stop shop.
Old 15 Apr 2012, 12:11 (Ref:3059489)   #13
fourWheelDrift
Veteran

United Kingdom
fourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus View Post
I watched the race on Sky, but the post race analysis on the BBC. I think the Beeb do the analysis better.
I watched the BBC and felt right through the program it was better than SKY and I agree, the biggest difference is in the post race analysis, like night and day, especially Garry Anderson chatting on the grid in the red button forum SKY's efforts are just pitiful by comparison.
Old 15 Apr 2012, 13:15 (Ref:3059525)   #14
andy666
Racer

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire
andy666 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridandy666 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Watched on the Bbc , I still say that the Sky coverage is no better but Sky just edges it for me because of the Legends programmes and season reviews . I found EJ quite humourous this weekend especially during quali when Seb went out in Q2 and EJ said "where is the finger now" . Bit cruel but funny .
Old 15 Apr 2012, 14:42 (Ref:3059572)   #15
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
In the main, I'll watch the BBC when they're live and when they aren't, it'll be Sky. I like the family camaraderie at the BBC and Edwards I've known longer as a commentator than even Brundle.

This morning I watched about 80% the BBC going over to Sky for my brief Brundle fix. There's very little to choose from either in the commentary box, the race is safe with both. Brundle is probably the most dialed-in, Croft is losing some of his nerves I sense. I think the difference between the two are in the approaches with build-up and post-race reporting. Croft and Brundle are beginning to gel although I did think that DC and Edwards where getting a little too frisky with the word 'crucial'.But that's just a small thing. Good stuff anyway.
Old 15 Apr 2012, 14:55 (Ref:3059582)   #16
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
I pay a fortune for Sky so figured I may as well watch it on there! I didn't see any of the pre or post-race coverage. I just turn it on 5 minutes before and off 5 minutes after.
Old 15 Apr 2012, 15:00 (Ref:3059586)   #17
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
BBC.

I'll happily watch the race on Sky... but I'll watch the entire programme on the BBC. Build up, race, interviews, F1 forums... I love it all! BBC know how to do it. With Sky, I'll just watch the race and be done for the day.
Old 15 Apr 2012, 18:25 (Ref:3059751)   #18
fourWheelDrift
Veteran

United Kingdom
fourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy666 View Post
I found EJ quite humourous this weekend especially during quali when Seb went out in Q2 and EJ said "where is the finger now" . Bit cruel but funny .
It got even better with the reply, "he hasn't got eleven fingers".
Old 15 Apr 2012, 18:47 (Ref:3059768)   #19
nicanary
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Newtownards Co.Down
nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!
I've had Sky for years, and HD since before they got F1, but always watch the re-run on BBC instead of the live show.

I HATE that whole Murdoch mob with a vengeance - the Sky connection is just to keep the sprog happy.Real chav TV.

I record it on Sky+ (I know, I know, hypocrite) and then I don't have to watch all the interminable build-up and waffling. The race is all I need, and it's always the BBC for me, not these johnny-come-latelys.
Old 15 Apr 2012, 20:42 (Ref:3059851)   #20
Rennen
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
Rennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
SKY for me every time over EJ & DC!
Brundles 'Grid Walk' is always good, and the Post Race Analysis with the 'Sky Pad' Graphics is good. They also had good humoured banter and interviews with Brawn, Haug, Whitmarsh & Jenson...not as stuffy as the Beebs!

Well done SKY mega job again!

Is BBC in HD?
Old 15 Apr 2012, 20:44 (Ref:3059852)   #21
Rennen
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
Rennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Hans View Post
I pay a fortune for Sky so figured I may as well watch it on there! I didn't see any of the pre or post-race coverage. I just turn it on 5 minutes before and off 5 minutes after.
Really?...My F1 HD package cost £10.25 per month! The Reciever was Free and the first 3 months is too!
Old 15 Apr 2012, 21:46 (Ref:3059888)   #22
rocketcar
Rookie

United Kingdom
Colchester
rocketcar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
pre race and the race with sky and post race and the forum with the bbc - perfect combination
Old 15 Apr 2012, 21:56 (Ref:3059893)   #23
Raspberry
Rookie

United Kingdom
Portsmouth
Raspberry should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Recorded both with my full-chat Sky+ HD thingamajig (YAY - recent generously offered bargainous upgrade from the execrable Virgin Media).

Watched BBC live (can't tolerate Croft, at all), will peruse both, in full, all over again, at leisure, including the re-run on BBC, for the usually good extra bits they find.

Love BBC, love Lao, love EJ, love DC...miss Brundle very much, but not enough to make me listen to that other chap, whose name I am beginning to hate typing even.
Old 16 Apr 2012, 08:46 (Ref:3060068)   #24
csirl
Subscriber
Racer

csirl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Started watching the BBC coverage in qualifying, but switched to the BBC supplied coverage on Setanta. Noticed that when the BBC switched to camera shots of their team standing in what looked like a concrete car park behind the pits with not a lot going on, Setanta continued to show the action on the track or in the pits, but with the BBC audio feed - so still got all the info/interviews BBC did. Actually got a bit irritating to think that the BBC could be showing something useful on the screen instead of showing a couple of ugly mugs in a concrete carpark.
Old 16 Apr 2012, 19:36 (Ref:3060444)   #25
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I was staying with a friend and they have two TVs so we watched both broadcasts at the same time.

For analysis the BBC for commentary Sky.