Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 4 Jul 2021, 14:48 (Ref:4059769)   #2201
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So “Shouty” lost track of Perez penalties. Pretty fundamental to be in possession of the facts whilst commentating….
Honestly these characters stand in the shadow of Murray Walker and come up well short.
Old 4 Jul 2021, 15:03 (Ref:4059774)   #2202
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Interesting take. Murray's more famous now for the things he got wrong rather than all the days he got everything right.

Once again we're in rose tinted spectacle land.
Old 4 Jul 2021, 17:11 (Ref:4059803)   #2203
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bleach View Post
So “Shouty” lost track of Perez penalties. Pretty fundamental to be in possession of the facts whilst commentating….
Honestly these characters stand in the shadow of Murray Walker and come up well short.
The stewards had a bingo machine going calling car numbers for driver warnings and penalties.

What I think Crofty lost track of was whether the first penalty had been served during a pit stop. And so whether at that point of the second penalty was called it would have been just 5 seconds.
Old 4 Jul 2021, 17:48 (Ref:4059809)   #2204
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
Interesting take. Murray's more famous now for the things he got wrong rather than all the days he got everything right.

Once again we're in rose tinted spectacle land.
Fair point but these current commentators have all the date at their finger tips and something as basic as keeping track of penalties was not beyond even the wit of Paul de Resta….
Old 4 Jul 2021, 20:05 (Ref:4059838)   #2205
EastonNeston
Veteran

EastonNeston should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The sky coverage was very good this week. Karun Chandok was knowledgable, as always, but also conveyed his genuine enthusiasm for the sport. He also has the ability to analyse a lap or incident in great detail, but in a way that is easily understood. His session with Lando about Lando's qualifying lap was excelent.
Paul di Resta is getting better in his role, as he isn't a natural, and I much prefer the style & knowledge of Ant Davidson.
However the best thing from the weekend was the total absence of Kravitz, he adds nothing to the coverage, and effictive fillthe the "Village idiot" role that David Lloyd fills on Skys cricket coverage!.
Old 4 Jul 2021, 20:48 (Ref:4059843)   #2206
alan1302
Racer

England
Doncaster, UK
alan1302 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Because he commentates with passion and enthusiasm?

Why can't people use the volume control on their devices.
Murray Walker was full of passion and enthusiasm but didn't need to shout - I can't listen for long to his commentary when he goes into shouty mode.
Old 4 Jul 2021, 21:56 (Ref:4059851)   #2207
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I’m not a fan of a Crofty’s commentary style, but I don’t hold the small error over how many penalties Perez had over him. Someone told him in his ear and it was quickly clarified.
Old 4 Jul 2021, 22:15 (Ref:4059858)   #2208
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
That is an incredibly small and inconsequential mistake to criticize anyone for.

While I really miss Bob Varsha and David Hobbs US commentary, I don't find David Croft over-the-top or "shouty". Maybe it's because I come from a louder place, but I find him completely inoffensive and nondescript. So much so that I had to look up his name to make this post.

What I appreciate most about the Sky coverage is that it is the only programming on American TV without commercials. I've been loyal to Meguiar's car care products my whole life but switched over to Mother's when they provided the sponsorship to make this happen.
Old 4 Jul 2021, 22:29 (Ref:4059859)   #2209
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
That’s a great reason
Old 5 Jul 2021, 00:39 (Ref:4059862)   #2210
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bleach View Post
I struggle with Croft's "style" of commentary but even Muddley Talker used to make a few mistakes and in all honesty I can't hold that against Croft - yes he's off the pace (Di Resta was right onto it) on things like that and although frustrating at times, couldn't in all conscience hold that against him.
Old 5 Jul 2021, 07:59 (Ref:4059891)   #2211
Derwent
Racer

Derwent is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
I refuse to have Sky due to the dubious folk that onw it and I don't see why I should pay to watch anything. The many sponsors of cars and hoardings want people to see them so why should we be charged to view as well?
I think these days (on all sports) we seem to have far too many pundits to state the obvious. In fact do we need the commentator to speak all the time telling us what we can can see on the screen? These days I switch on five minutes before the start and joff just after the finish.
Old 5 Jul 2021, 08:09 (Ref:4059892)   #2212
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I rather enjoyed Natalie asking some ran sportsball player if there was any similarities between motorsport and football. He was confused as how to answer this without being a dick.

If you asked that on Twitter, you'd get laughed at. If you ask it on TV, you're a professional pundit.

For all the complaints about Croft, he's not even the worst on the current team. And the fact we still compare him to Murray does suggest we've already forgotten about Legard and Allen, who were far far worse. Brundle as a lead was also not good - look but never stare. But always cringe.
Old 5 Jul 2021, 10:50 (Ref:4059920)   #2213
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
the issue all pundits have is that they have time to fill and they have to talk to people who don't have anything to say.

what do you say to a footballer who's visiting a gp? are you having a nice time? what did you have for lunch? there's nothing, they can barely talk about their own career...

or a driver. we already know how their race went. they can't talk about stuff they aren't allowed to yet. it's gonna be one of two answers

"obviously i'm disappointed, the team have worked really hard but the car was slow"
"obviously i'm thrilled, points/trophies are great, thanks to the team the car was brilliant"

some people seem to expect dickens from the phone book...
Old 5 Jul 2021, 11:23 (Ref:4059924)   #2214
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
I rather enjoyed Natalie asking some ran sportsball player if there was any similarities between motorsport and football. He was confused as how to answer this without being a dick.

If you asked that on Twitter, you'd get laughed at. If you ask it on TV, you're a professional pundit.
She's not the first to consider the potential for a comparison between F1 and football - and if you have a football player on an F1 grid, I would of thought a question that attempts to combine the two sports is reasonable?

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...vs-formula-one
Old 5 Jul 2021, 14:42 (Ref:4059964)   #2215
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
There’s been a few footballers like Barthez and Blisset who have tried their hand at motorsport. And Schumi I think played part time for a Swiss football club
Old 5 Jul 2021, 14:58 (Ref:4059968)   #2216
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastonNeston View Post
The sky coverage was very good this week. Karun Chandok was knowledgable, as always, but also conveyed his genuine enthusiasm for the sport. He also has the ability to analyse a lap or incident in great detail, but in a way that is easily understood. His session with Lando about Lando's qualifying lap was excelent..
yeah that was a very good bit and he did well with the grid walk particularly in conveying info about what was going on with Russell/Williams pre race.

even liked the Croft/DiResta pairing...thought Crofty brought it down and let DiResta get hyped with the colour commentary. i thought their pairing worked.

overall one covid positive (i am assuming its because of covid and limiting travel/size of crew) has allowed them to mix up their broadcasting parings from race to race.
Old 5 Jul 2021, 15:21 (Ref:4059977)   #2217
EastonNeston
Veteran

EastonNeston should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Anything that removes the "Village idiot" Kravitz from the coverage has to be a massive positive.

Sky might be better off next season concentrating on a smaller team, thats built around Croft, Brundle, Chandock, Ant Davidson and Nico.
There is enough experience and broadcasting skill in that group to cover any race. Obviosly Simon Lazenby and Natalie Pinkham will still be needed as the broadcasting professionals.
Old 16 Jul 2021, 21:09 (Ref:4061299)   #2218
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
C4 coverage of the Silverstone GP is so superior in every way to Sky imho. Polished, clear and concise reporting with more than just a hint of humour, DC and co have in spades.
Old 16 Jul 2021, 21:26 (Ref:4061301)   #2219
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by justracing View Post
C4 coverage of the Silverstone GP is so superior in every way to Sky imho. Polished, clear and concise reporting with more than just a hint of humour, DC and co have in spades.
Totally agree. Thoroughly enjoyed it.
Old 16 Jul 2021, 21:51 (Ref:4061303)   #2220
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Was absolutely amazed, stunned really that Croft didn't go into his usual SHRIEKING mode when LH was quickest in Q3 - expected that Croft would get carried away with the crowd and go into hyperdrive but somehow he managed to be reasonably professional.

I had as usual turned the sound down in expectation of the shrieking but was able to go back, replay and enjoy at regular volume. Long may it continue!
Old 17 Jul 2021, 04:54 (Ref:4061341)   #2221
2 litre Touring Car Star
Veteran

Australia
2 litre Touring Car Star User had had their licence endorsed2 litre Touring Car Star User had had their licence endorsed
I watched the Euro2020 final on Monday morning. We had Martin Tyer and Alan Smith commentating.

For 130mins, not once was there a hint of bias during the broadcast. In what would've been the single best moment in Tyler's long career, an opportunity he's waited decades for, there was not even a waiver of a syllable when there was a moment of fortune for England or adversity for Italy.

You wouldn't have begrudged either for a moment of bias. But even in the minutes after the shootout ended as the Italians were celebrating their victory, the objectivity from Tyler and Smith was immaculate.

Yet us racing/F1 fans have to deal with the team of stooges we get from Sky. crmalcolm will even quote me to justify them as well.
Old 17 Jul 2021, 07:29 (Ref:4061350)   #2222
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 litre Touring Car Star View Post
I watched the Euro2020 final on Monday morning. We had Martin Tyer and Alan Smith commentating.

For 130mins, not once was there a hint of bias during the broadcast. In what would've been the single best moment in Tyler's long career, an opportunity he's waited decades for, there was not even a waiver of a syllable when there was a moment of fortune for England or adversity for Italy.

You wouldn't have begrudged either for a moment of bias. But even in the minutes after the shootout ended as the Italians were celebrating their victory, the objectivity from Tyler and Smith was immaculate.

Yet us racing/F1 fans have to deal with the team of stooges we get from Sky. crmalcolm will even quote me to justify them as well.
This exactly.I know Sky is mainly aiming at the British audience but if you are not British the commentary is cringeworthy with its relentless cheerleading for British drivers in general and Lewis in particular.Not sure it has ever been as bad as it was today.
The comparison with Martin Tyler is really valid.
Old 17 Jul 2021, 07:35 (Ref:4061351)   #2223
Derwent
Racer

Derwent is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
The TV schedules said that lee was doing the Friday and Saturday lead but we ended up with the dreadful Steve Jones again whose knowledge of motorsport is worthy of the back of an envelope. The rest of the team are great. The off time I see Shy, it is far too dragged out both before and after the race.
Old 17 Jul 2021, 11:39 (Ref:4061395)   #2224
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
Has Ted Kravitz got anything to contribute? Does anyone want to know his opinion about tents and camping when they have tuned in to watch F1? Also, why are all the Sky people sneering about the term Sprint ?
Old 17 Jul 2021, 11:53 (Ref:4061397)   #2225
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by justracing View Post
I haven't watch F1 on C4 for years, is Steady Eddie still doing it?
He used to really wind me up, even more than Crofty does know.

Tags
pinks