Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 28 Mar 2014, 20:40 (Ref:3385806)   #1
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Nico Rosberg: Is this his year?

He's been around for a while now and depending on most people's point of view has either promised a a great deal, or been a really good number 2.

After what in hindsight seems like a couple of in depth preparation years at Brackley, it now looks as though he has the equipment under him.

Will he be any hungrier than his teammate and get the most out of the environment and team balance over the season, or will he come up short against his hugely quick yet increasingly enigmatic teammate?
Old 28 Mar 2014, 21:05 (Ref:3385814)   #2
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Depends who has the most mechanical failures really. It is a closely matched pairing.
Old 28 Mar 2014, 21:12 (Ref:3385818)   #3
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I agree with Knowlesy on the reliability front but I suspect Rosberg might have an edge when it comes to how win at the lowest possible speed.
Old 29 Mar 2014, 08:28 (Ref:3385954)   #4
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
I agree with both The Knowls and wolfy, they are on one hand well matched, but there are also key differences.

The basic speed I think still weighs in Lewis' favour but Nico is more sensitive without losing pace?

Would it be fair to compare these 2 to Gilles and Didier all those years ago?

No-one gave Pironi much of a prayer against Gilles but he surprised people later on how good he actually was. Gilles was the raw talent like Lewis, Didier was the 'cleverer' driver, like Didier.

Maybe....

Last edited by chunterer; 29 Mar 2014 at 08:39.
Old 29 Mar 2014, 08:37 (Ref:3385961)   #5
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
One GP in, who knows......?
Old 29 Mar 2014, 08:39 (Ref:3385963)   #6
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
One GP in, who knows......?
Thanks for the expansive post Ayse!!!!!
Old 29 Mar 2014, 08:44 (Ref:3385966)   #7
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Well, let's face it, we really have no idea! If he cruises this one, then I might venture an opinion, or not as the case may be!
Old 29 Mar 2014, 08:47 (Ref:3385969)   #8
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Well, let's face it, we really have no idea! If he cruises this one, then I might venture an opinion, or not as the case may be!
You sound like Lewis yesterday!

It is true that we can't predict the future but we can make some reasonable assumptions based on what we've seen to date about Nico's credentials.

I have been won round, I never though he really had it.
Old 29 Mar 2014, 09:42 (Ref:3385989)   #9
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Nico always had it. He has had some underwhelming years here and there, but when it comes down to it he is bloody good.

Hamilton has spurred him on to raise his game consistently.
Old 29 Mar 2014, 09:50 (Ref:3385992)   #10
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

It's another case of a driver who has been around a while but we didn't know exactly how good he could become until he got the right car.

Some guys on the other hand failed to make the most of winning cars in the past. Don't think he's going to be one of those somehow!

I still think there is a difference between him and 2 or 3 other drivers though, he's improved his consistency which was something lacking, but I'm intrigued to see how he can deal with a truly fired up Hamilton now that Lewis knows he's got the kit again.
Old 29 Mar 2014, 10:35 (Ref:3386010)   #11
GHOGH
Racer

GHOGH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
engine

Too many unknowns in F1 this year and how the cars change through the year.

I would expect Vettel to be leading the championship by mid-season if he gets a good enough powertrain.
Old 29 Mar 2014, 14:10 (Ref:3386063)   #12
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post
Nico always had it. He has had some underwhelming years here and there, but when it comes down to it he is bloody good.

Hamilton has spurred him on to raise his game consistently.
So did Schumacher.

Anyway, it's definitely DC's year.
Old 29 Mar 2014, 18:47 (Ref:3386161)   #13
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
So did Schumacher.
In a sense I think so. Nico really went for it at first, being alongside Michael must have been great motivation.

Once it was clear Michael was pretty much finished as a front running prospect though, he seemed to tail off. Running in mediocre cars for years, with a teammate unable to properly challenge can't be good for the motivation, and I felt Rosberg's intensity tailed off for a season or so.

Lewis coming along has reignited him, along with having good cars. And it is good to see. I think we all like Nico and want him to do well, let's be honest here. A thoroughly good egg.
Old 30 Mar 2014, 16:24 (Ref:3386668)   #14
aki13
Racer

aki13 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree with those above. Its a bit early to say, but after today that's one win each. Now if it ends up being an all Mercedes battle, then I believe Hamilton is slightly faster but if reliability comes into it, Nico is far and away good enough to win the title.

Even racing Hamilton he may beat him. It really is a close run thing, but I still think Lewis has something extra.
Old 30 Mar 2014, 17:23 (Ref:3386703)   #15
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Two GPs in, who knows......?
Old 31 Mar 2014, 10:51 (Ref:3387002)   #16
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by aki13 View Post
I agree with those above. Its a bit early to say, but after today that's one win each. Now if it ends up being an all Mercedes battle, then I believe Hamilton is slightly faster but if reliability comes into it, Nico is far and away good enough to win the title.

Even racing Hamilton he may beat him. It really is a close run thing, but I still think Lewis has something extra.
Lewis has days, heck, weekends even, where he seems on a totally different plane, it all goes right for him, and this is exactly what he needed to confirm to himself that both he and the car can do it this year.

Nico never seemed to be on a par this weekend, but I see that as a slight blip.

But, a Lewis absolutely on top of everything will be nigh on unbeatable in that car.
Old 31 Mar 2014, 21:01 (Ref:3387198)   #17
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i thought the team did an excellent job of managing both their drivers but i must admit to being a bit surprised after the first round of stops (i think) when they called in Nico first to cover SV's stop.

of course protecting second was what was needed but optimal strategy is usually given (well for Ferrari anyways) for the driver fighting for first.

was that favoritism for Nico or an honest attempt to run both cars at the their optimal strategy? a case could be made that because LH had a lead they asked him do an extra lap on old tires which in itself was a risk.
Old 1 Apr 2014, 00:33 (Ref:3387250)   #18
Razzzor
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Razzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
i thought the team did an excellent job of managing both their drivers but i must admit to being a bit surprised after the first round of stops (i think) when they called in Nico first to cover SV's stop.

of course protecting second was what was needed but optimal strategy is usually given (well for Ferrari anyways) for the driver fighting for first.

was that favoritism for Nico or an honest attempt to run both cars at the their optimal strategy? a case could be made that because LH had a lead they asked him do an extra lap on old tires which in itself was a risk.
RB would do the same, they'd often call Webber in first, Vettel (usually ahead) a lap or two later. It would often make a close call out of the pits. Does that mean RB favoured Webber? Nope. Actually it was just Vettel seemed to prefer getting a bit more out of the tyres.

Re Nico vs Hammo - I'd actually like to see Nico win the title, but I fear that will only happen if Hammo has some bad luck/retirements. At Malaysia Hamilton was in another race to Rosberg, they're weren't even close.
Old 4 Apr 2014, 07:31 (Ref:3388561)   #19
2GRX7
Rookie

United States
W. Orlando
2GRX7 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I really like Rosberg, but he always seems to be "selling" his capabilities to us-almost like he's jumping up and down in the background of other higher-rated drivers and saying, "hey, I'm really good too!"

I just think it's going to Hamilton for a number of reasons;

1. He's mentally "on it" If you listen to him, it's as if he's completely shut out everything (including Rosberg) and making the fight just about himself.

2. The passive suspension, I believe, is banned for this year. Rosberg really worked it to his advantage in 13', Hammi couldn't get to grips with it and was vocal about how it affected his braking at the limit.

Mech issues non-withstanding, it's looking like a really good year if he can rack up the points before Renault makes up the 80bhp.
Old 5 Apr 2014, 00:18 (Ref:3388841)   #20
IceMan_PJN
Racer

United States
Ohio
IceMan_PJN has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post
Depends who has the most mechanical failures really. It is a closely matched pairing.
This is the only reason Nico is ahead of Lewis in the championship. Lewis really should be sitting on 50 points rather than just 25 but Lewis has rotten luck.
Old 5 Apr 2014, 00:23 (Ref:3388842)   #21
beau1
Veteran

Wales
Swansea,Wales
beau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbeau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbeau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceMan_PJN View Post
This is the only reason Nico is ahead of Lewis in the championship. Lewis really should be sitting on 50 points rather than just 25 but Lewis has rotten luck.
I'm not sure about that. I thought Nico was immense during the race at Melbourne. There is nothing to say that Nico wouldn't have still beaten Lewis if both cars had run perfectly.
Old 6 Apr 2014, 21:45 (Ref:3389476)   #22
aki13
Racer

aki13 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nico Rosberg seemed quite angry today. Making the point he doesn't like finishing 2nd to Lewis.

Not sure whether that was annoyance at not passing Lewis in the race when he could have, or he feels the team put a slight caution on his attack.
Old 6 Apr 2014, 22:24 (Ref:3389490)   #23
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

I think just frustration that an obvious pace advantage came to nought. The team didn't do anything wrong I don't think.

He still has a handy championship lead, despite being beaten in two races out of three though. Something to build on.
Old 6 Apr 2014, 22:52 (Ref:3389504)   #24
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by aki13 View Post
Nico Rosberg seemed quite angry today. Making the point he doesn't like finishing 2nd to Lewis.

Not sure whether that was annoyance at not passing Lewis in the race when he could have, or he feels the team put a slight caution on his attack.
When they were in karts in their teens (with Mercedes sponsorship as a team) the differences were much as they are now. Their personalities have matured but their actual speed and the differences between the two of them driver wise haven't. They are close, but Hamilton's edge in one lap pace (and only an edge) now was evident in much the same way when he was 14....
Old 6 Apr 2014, 23:23 (Ref:3389524)   #25
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Nico is a good no. 2 driver; and after today he knows it....