Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 23 Oct 2000, 10:03 (Ref:44223)   #1
awaugh
Rookie

awaugh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
tell me do u like or hate the series calender for next year. It has some good ideas but i would have liked to see a night race and all endurance. Like a 300km race for most races except for Bathurst, Adelaide and Queensland.

What do u think.
Old 23 Oct 2000, 12:20 (Ref:44248)   #2
elephino
Veteran

elephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridelephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If nothing else it is a step in the right direction.

From what I can scrounge, most of the drivers like the new format too (even Jason Bright).
Old 23 Oct 2000, 12:40 (Ref:44253)   #3
Sal
Rookie

Sal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think it's pretty good. I'm glad they've left a couple of sprint rounds in. Having such a mix of race types gives a better indication of the best performing team and driver.

I'm looking forward to a better season next year.
Old 23 Oct 2000, 21:13 (Ref:44349)   #4
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm still not sold on the reverse grid idea, a mixture of races is good though
Old 23 Oct 2000, 22:44 (Ref:44375)   #5
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
How long with 100km races last? At Queensland Raceway, the 20 minute races on a 3km circuit went for 17 laps, 51km. So a 100km race will go for 40 minutes. Thus the fans get an extra 20 minutes of racing.

I know some drivers have complained about the cost, but which is more expensive, an extra start or 20 minutes of racing?

It's all a big puch to make it mroe exciting, but what if the racing remains processional? The most exciting part of some of the races this year were the starts, get rid of them, there's not going to be much to keep the fans entertained...

I think I'll reserve my judgement on the issue until the season has started...
Old 24 Oct 2000, 03:27 (Ref:44430)   #6
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
cant wait for winton - 2 1hr races i think....camping, shell chicks, cans of beams, a joint or two - one of the best weekends possible, away from all of the bullsh*t - up in kelly country, go ned!
Old 25 Oct 2000, 15:43 (Ref:44741)   #7
Danielsun
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
Danielsun should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can anybody please tell me why, after F1 started in 1994, pit stops have suddenly become the most loved thing (by series organisers, anyway) in motor racing?

I'm at a loss...
Old 25 Oct 2000, 18:22 (Ref:44759)   #8
Les
Veteran

Kenya
Suffolk,UK
Les should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Because it breaks up the round and round and round, gives the race an element of surprise and gives the comentators something to talk about.
Old 25 Oct 2000, 22:15 (Ref:44792)   #9
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Deadset truthful conspiracy theory: It is to stop HRT.

They can't get parity right.
They can't ask HRT to stop spending money.
They can't ask HRT to slow down.

They can however reverse the grids, and they can have pit stops. Remember Phillip Island? HRT didn't win there...

If they didn't, and they ran 3x20 minutes races (or whatever length they like) without pit stops/reverse grids, there would be no way of stopping HRT from winning every race.

I don't like it in sprint touring car racing. It was introduced in F1 as a safety thing ->read small gas tanks. In TCs, at the track it simply confuses what is going on track. Also it increases costs.

Do ya'll think the team element of the sport is a good thing? Is motorsport about going out there and racing your nads off, or some fumbling mechanicnot screwing a wheel nut on tight enough?
Old 25 Oct 2000, 23:40 (Ref:44822)   #10
Diabando
Veteran

Australia
Victoria, Australia
Diabando should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDiabando should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think Winton is going to be just Awesome!!!! mixed races are good...I dont think I have ever liked the three sprint format...and I certainly dont like the reverse grid.

Next season looks like it might be interesting - which will be a nice change.
Old 26 Oct 2000, 11:35 (Ref:44927)   #11
Danielsun
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
Danielsun should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm gonna have to side with Crash Test on this one. It's all very well and good in F1 to have pit stops, because we all know who's where in the relative scheme of things: Ferrari, McLaren... Prost, Minardi.

As for Touring Car races, stopsdo just make it very hard to follow; the races are shorter and there are more cars in with a shot at a top finish. Yellow strips or not, it's bloody confusing when you're standing trackside and can't hear the commentators...
Old 26 Oct 2000, 11:44 (Ref:44930)   #12
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yes the stops are confusing..

How about no stops,full on racing, no penalties, no fines - Ok this exists as a distrustruction derby.
Old 26 Oct 2000, 11:59 (Ref:44936)   #13
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Quote:
Tony Cochrane...
With the John Goss peg on his nose.

It's all about putting on a show for the fans. We could get 500,000 spectators to come to Adelaide to watch the best drivers in the country run each other into the scenery...
Old 26 Oct 2000, 13:56 (Ref:44978)   #14
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
I guess we will have to wait and see..i like the 3 race idea because the starts are very exciting but i also like the endurance thingy..i think it will be interesting next year and i too carnt wait for winton (guess we're gonna have to have a get together)

one question that im not sure has been mentioned here but what do you all really think of the series going overseas to Nz next year and possibly asia in the future???

im not sure but I would like to see the cars on foriegn circuits..but a V8 supercar race at Donnington park may never happen but what a race that would be or brands Hatch even.
but i guess NZ is close and they can relate to the cars so it should be a success but will it last and is it the way to go ????
opinions please
Old 26 Oct 2000, 14:54 (Ref:44994)   #15
Airhead
Veteran

John Gosess Peg

Trash Test

Don you have a sister

It was the Gossie peg on the nose that did it - shorely an omen. I tried to convinve my brother to enter as Gossie but he tries someyhing equalluy Australian but different/
(**** i spell bgad fro a phsician)
Old 26 Oct 2000, 22:35 (Ref:45090)   #16
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Hehe

New Zealand: Fair enough...

Anywhere else: Boooo hisssss booooo

I shant continue my ramblings right now as I'm certain I've done many many times in the past....needless to say i don't like it....on the otehr hand I hope they go and fall flattly on their arses. Saying that Tony C. would probably rent a crowd...
Old 26 Oct 2000, 22:48 (Ref:45094)   #17
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
i can handle nu zilan having a race....but imagine the shock horror if WINTON was replaced by a race in asia , i dont think i could handle that
Old 27 Oct 2000, 11:20 (Ref:45166)   #18
awaugh
Rookie

awaugh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
YES winton is gonna be mad! But the race i can see be replaced by an asian round is calder due to the pit area. Thats why they arnt having an enduro round there this year. same with barbalgallo. So 2002 they will be scrapped and replaced with enduros.

Anyways winton is gonna be mad.
Old 27 Oct 2000, 11:26 (Ref:45169)   #19
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Are you sure it isn't the length of the lap which is the deciding factor in Calder not getting a round? It has the shortest lap, and one of the longest pit lanes, if you have a bad stop you loose a lap....not a good thing. Remember this place used to have enduros...