Home  
Site Partners: Veloce Books OldRacingCars.com  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > The Chassis History Archive

Old 6 Nov 2006, 10:19 (Ref:1758862)   #51
allenbrown
OldRacingCars.com
Veteran

allenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridallenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is probably the Franklen, the Len Bailey-designed, Frank Gardner-commissioned F5000 car intended for the 1970 UK season but not raced. Palliser then bought the project but again it didn't race. Alec Mildren then bought the car and it was raced by Bartlett in the 1971 Tasman as the Mildren-Chev.

Allen
Old 7 Nov 2006, 00:48 (Ref:1759559)   #52
Davhut
Racer

Davhut should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Allen:
Any idea where I might find some action photos or history of this car in action?
David
Old 7 Nov 2006, 02:14 (Ref:1759604)   #53
Bryan Miller
Veteran

Bryan Miller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Allen,

That does look like the Franklen/ Mildren , very unloved , Errol Richardson drove it once from memory as well as Kev. Bartlett , I think the car is still lurking around south of Sydney somewhere , maybe , just maybe it was turned into the Wortmeyer s/c hillclimb car , will investigate.
Old 7 Nov 2006, 09:06 (Ref:1759716)   #54
allenbrown
OldRacingCars.com
Veteran

allenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridallenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
David, there's not much published on this car and I have barely enough for a page. For period photos, Autopics would be your best bet. I found this and this.

Ted Walker has pictures from the 1971 Tasman which he's due to scan for me. I can't recall whether the Franklen was amongst those.

Would Keith let me use his photo on OldRacingCars.com?

Bryan, last I heard, Wortmeyer still owned it. I'd be very interested to learn more about its recent history.

Allen
Old 6 May 2007, 04:34 (Ref:1907430)   #55
rms
Rookie

rms should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenbrown
David, there's not much published on this car and I have barely enough for a page. For period photos, Autopics would be your best bet. I found this and this.

Ted Walker has pictures from the 1971 Tasman which he's due to scan for me. I can't recall whether the Franklen was amongst those.

Would Keith let me use his photo on OldRacingCars.com?

Bryan, last I heard, Wortmeyer still owned it. I'd be very interested to learn more about its recent history.

Allen
Allen,
Jack and Mae Wortmeyer passed away 2 years ago within days of each other. The car is still owned by the Wortmeyer family in Wollongong.

The cars last outing was the '74 Tasman round at Oran Park where the accelerator pedal fell off after 5 laps. Jack took the car home and stripped it. He did not want anyone to drive it again, he was very worried about a driver being injured in a car he owned.
He may have rubbed a lot of people the wrong way but he was truly a gentle man.

It still sits in the shed in exactly the same spot with all parts stored away.

Should the family decide to sell I have been offered the first option. As a young driver some 35 years ago, to be given the opportunity to drive an F5000 (even then an old one) was 'out of this world'.

Erol Richardson
Old 7 May 2007, 20:16 (Ref:1908559)   #56
allenbrown
OldRacingCars.com
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rms
Allen,
Jack and Mae Wortmeyer passed away 2 years ago within days of each other. The car is still owned by the Wortmeyer family in Wollongong.

The cars last outing was the '74 Tasman round at Oran Park where the accelerator pedal fell off after 5 laps. Jack took the car home and stripped it. He did not want anyone to drive it again, he was very worried about a driver being injured in a car he owned.
He may have rubbed a lot of people the wrong way but he was truly a gentle man.

It still sits in the shed in exactly the same spot with all parts stored away.

Should the family decide to sell I have been offered the first option. As a young driver some 35 years ago, to be given the opportunity to drive an F5000 (even then an old one) was 'out of this world'.

Erol Richardson
Welcome Erol, and thanks for this update.

You drove the car in 1973 and in 1974 didn't you? Do you know how Jack acquired the car? Did he get it straight from Mildren?

Allen

PS I really, really must write a page on this car now!
Old 8 May 2007, 10:14 (Ref:1908869)   #57
rms
Rookie

Allen,
The car was purchased from Alec Mildren after he had closed the race team, somewhere around mid '72 (memory is a bit foggy). It may have been 'unloved' but it arrived on the scene at the end of the M10B era and by '72 was outdated, as was the M10B.

I remember seeing a photograph taken at a Hume Weir meeting with myself on pole in the F5000 and Ray Winter in the Mildren 'Yellow Submarine' alongside. Both cars still in Mildren colours. I must try and track it down.

Erol
Old 8 May 2007, 10:40 (Ref:1908885)   #58
rms
Rookie

Link to another pic.

http://www.autopics.com.au/cache/ite....html?cache=no
Old 8 May 2007, 12:14 (Ref:1908954)   #59
allenbrown
OldRacingCars.com
Veteran

Why was it called the SC5 when you had it? Do you remember?
Old 9 May 2007, 10:20 (Ref:1909752)   #60
rms
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenbrown
Why was it called the SC5 when you had it? Do you remember?
Jack was a benefactor of hillclimbing and his cars used supercharged VW engines, hence SCV. When he purchased the 'Mildren' F5000 he did not want to advertise Alec Mildren so it was renamed 'Wortmeyer SC5'.
Quite a 'to do' with CAMS as they did not want to issue a renamed log book, until Jack pointed out it wasn't a 'Mildren' either.

The SCV hillclimb car of recently deposed Australian Hillclimb Champion, Peter Gumley, was built and owned by Jack in 1970/71.

Last edited by rms; 9 May 2007 at 10:24.
Old 29 Apr 2008, 03:27 (Ref:2189761)   #61
Team Blitz
Rookie

United States
Columbus, Ohio
Team Blitz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pardon, if this has already been suggested, but Mr. Winkelmann is alive and well, tends to his email regularly, and might be interested in joining this thread should someone like to make the invitation. He's a top chap in all respects. And is an expert in Lotus Cortinas as well.

Norm
Old 29 Apr 2008, 08:38 (Ref:2189903)   #62
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Why don't you drop him an email and invite him although I believe we may have already told him.
Old 29 Apr 2008, 15:15 (Ref:2190279)   #63
Team Blitz
Rookie

United States
Columbus, Ohio
Team Blitz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcemob
Why don't you drop him an email and invite him although I believe we may have already told him.
Happy to. I didn't think it my place being such a noob here, if you know what I mean.

I was thinking Wink might have some records which would help, not to mention his memories. I recall that his brother, perhaps, handled the UK end of the business. I'm not sure. (I'm a sedan guy, not an open wheel man.)

I'll drop Wink an email invite in the next day or so.

Norm
Old 3 Nov 2010, 10:16 (Ref:2784348)   #64
flightlessbird
Rookie

flightlessbird should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rumour has it that the SC5 or parts there of have moved south of Wollongong for a good polishing
Old 16 Nov 2011, 23:29 (Ref:2987458)   #65
jesvilla
Rookie

jesvilla should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I aquired a Winkleman-Palliser a few years ago, but found no chassis plates or stampings on the frame, I have been actively looking for photos to try to discern what model it is, unfortunately it has been cut up and modified in the center/driver section, and the front suspension had been modified to a pull-rod type(blacksmith style) the rear of the chassis looks similar to some of the photos I've seen online, and is basically original. When I got it, it was a complete car with Audi 2.0 Liter supercharged engine and Mk9 gearbox, have since dissasembled everything and would like to repair the front suspension and center to original specs. Any help in this regard would be greatly appreciated, even if it's just photos that can look at to copy.

Thanks
Jesus Villarreal
Old 16 Nov 2011, 23:50 (Ref:2987463)   #66
jesvilla
Rookie

I have a Winkelmann, but could find no tag or stamped number, I also tried to get info from Bob W. through the Golden Gate Lotus Club, when i first got the car a few years ago, but he said wanted nothing to do with it.
Old 17 Nov 2011, 08:28 (Ref:2987595)   #67
allenbrown
OldRacingCars.com
Veteran

Andy Antipas should be able to help you:

http://www.pallisercars.com/
Old 17 Nov 2011, 20:25 (Ref:2987911)   #68
jesvilla
Rookie

Thanks Allen, I have sent Andy an email.

And excuse me for the double post, I sent the first one and when it didn't appear after a while, I sent the second one.

Jesus
Old 19 Dec 2011, 19:38 (Ref:3001970)   #69
jesvilla
Rookie

OK, I found some entry lists for one of the previous owners, he listed it as a '69 Winkelmann. All the pictures I've seen of the FF's have the steering rack on the front of the bulkhead, mine has the rack back and above the pedals and is rear-steer. Did any of the cars come that way originally, or is this one more modification that was done by a Previous owner?

Jesus
Old 29 Dec 2011, 00:07 (Ref:3004990)   #70
Layabout
Rookie

United States
San Francisco Bay Area
Layabout should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesvilla View Post
OK, I found some entry lists for one of the previous owners, he listed it as a '69 Winkelmann. All the pictures I've seen of the FF's have the steering rack on the front of the bulkhead, mine has the rack back and above the pedals and is rear-steer. Did any of the cars come that way originally, or is this one more modification that was done by a Previous owner?

Jesus
Have you identified your Winkelmann? I would be glad to help. I have a lot of photos & know the cars rather well. Let me know.
Old 29 Dec 2011, 07:22 (Ref:3005057)   #71
Henrik Pedersen
Racer

Denmark
Denmark
Henrik Pedersen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi
I know this is out of topic, but I need to know if the are a Autodynamics/Caldwell club in the states ?
I need a nosebadge for my Caldwell D9.
Can anyone help me ?
Old 11 Jan 2012, 22:59 (Ref:3010435)   #72
jesvilla
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layabout View Post
Have you identified your Winkelmann? I would be glad to help. I have a lot of photos & know the cars rather well. Let me know.
Layabout:
No I have not, after further disassembly and looking at it, it is bent in all four corners, and really has been hashed a bunch. It appears that I would be able to get further along if I just try to fabricate a new chassis, cutting tubes out then cleaning /grinding everything smooth would take longer, or just part everything out and be done with it. This chassis is in such a sad state I'm not sure it would be worth anything at all.
I am across the bay from you in Hayward, if you are near San Francisco, we could get together somewhere to go over some photos, or I could come by your place and take a look at what you have.

Thanks for the kind offer
Jesus Villarreal
Old 30 May 2012, 21:23 (Ref:3082131)   #73
Layabout
Rookie

United States
San Francisco Bay Area
Winkelmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesvilla View Post
Layabout:
No I have not, after further disassembly and looking at it, it is bent in all four corners, and really has been hashed a bunch. It appears that I would be able to get further along if I just try to fabricate a new chassis, cutting tubes out then cleaning /grinding everything smooth would take longer, or just part everything out and be done with it. This chassis is in such a sad state I'm not sure it would be worth anything at all.
I am across the bay from you in Hayward, if you are near San Francisco, we could get together somewhere to go over some photos, or I could come by your place and take a look at what you have.

Thanks for the kind offer
Jesus Villarreal
I apologize for my delay in responding. For some reason 10/10ths didn't notify me of your response. I'm in the San Jose area & would be glad to come by & have a look. Also, please look at the next posting---it's about the updated Palliser-Winkelmann site. I was just given the responsibility for it & I'm trying to get the word out.
Old 30 May 2012, 21:24 (Ref:3082132)   #74
Layabout
Rookie

United States
San Francisco Bay Area
Palliser-Winkelmann Registry--New Registrar, same Domicile

I've recently taken over the Palliser-Winkelmann Registry (www.PalliserCars.com). I've made some substantial changes to the site (we now have Classifieds, Restoration photos, Model photos & Specsheets, etc.) & I'm trying to get Palliser Winkelmann owners to revisit the site & maybe contact me so that I can expand the database, or entice them to provide content for the site. I would like to hear from any owners---even those who are already listed in the Registry.

Conversely, if you're a newbie & want to find out about the marque, I'm more than glad to converse with you. I raced a Winkelmann WDF2 in the early 70s & now have a pair of FB Winkelmanns (WDB2) that a friend of mine I run in vintage events in California.

My email is: ldebretteville@gmail.com