Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 11 Jul 2010, 16:22 (Ref:2724971)   #1
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Lewis Hamilton is the best driver in F1. Discuss

Even after his 2008 title it could be argued that Alonso was a more complete driver.

But the way he has driven in 09 and so far in 2010 Hamilton has surely surpassed everyone. Tremendous skill is one thing but he is now combining it with the maturity of a veteran. His driving this season has been sublime and he is able to eek out great results with not the best car and able to capitalize on his rivals' misfortunes. Yesterday's qualifying which set up today's result being the perfect example.

It is looking more and more likely that with a car half a second slower than the Red Bulls he will be world champion this year and deservedly so.

*Gets popcorn.*
Old 11 Jul 2010, 16:27 (Ref:2724975)   #2
NeilB
Rookie

England
NeilB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Alonso has the overall edge in terms of being the best all round driver in the paddock. Lewis showed the area he needs to develop more in Australia, where he was relying on the team to make decisions for him, rather than calling the shots himself.
Old 11 Jul 2010, 16:28 (Ref:2724976)   #3
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I would say he is now, yep.
Old 11 Jul 2010, 16:31 (Ref:2724977)   #4
pannenmann
Racer

Germany
Bavaria
pannenmann should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There's not much to discuss. Hamilton is just astonishing. A natural racer, fantastic speed and great instict of when and how to overtake (or take otherwise advantage). Alonso never really was a match for him, even when Hamilton was still a rookie making rookie mistakes, he cracked him up. Plus he is very stable and strong character-wise, more than most F1 drivers. Self-centric enough but not losing touch with reality. Ruthless when necessary, but at the same time foresighted (most of the time). If nothing awful happens, he will stay there for a long time. Probably being the first successor of Schumacher.
Old 11 Jul 2010, 16:38 (Ref:2724979)   #5
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
up until this year id say it was alonso (as much as it pains a brit to say so!!) but after all hamiltons troubles last year hes matured so much, from someone with astonishing speed, to someone who is not just quick, but can manage a race, tyres, fuel, can overtake.....and keep a level head when things are going wrong. to me that makes him the best driver in f1 at the moment....likewise alonso has slipped in my estimation....he looses his head too easily these days. vettel is quick, just like hamilton, but can drive like a moron sometimes and seems to spit the dummy out.....but ive do doubt he will mature just like hamilton.

so yeh hamiltons the best in f1 at the moment
Old 11 Jul 2010, 16:46 (Ref:2724982)   #6
MrTTraces
Veteran

Zimbabwe
A place where the coffee is cold!
MrTTraces should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No!

Thread Closed!
Old 11 Jul 2010, 16:54 (Ref:2724988)   #7
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!
Thead Open!

I thought his decision to back off at the first corner in the race today, rather than continue to burn up the inside as I think he would have done in previous years, shows how much he has improved as a top flight driver.

Best in F1? Dunno.
Locost #54 Boldly Leaping where no car has gone before. And then being T-boned. Damn.
Survivor of the 2008 2CV 24h!! 2 engines, one accident, 76mph and rain.
Old 11 Jul 2010, 17:14 (Ref:2725000)   #8
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The best by an absolute mile.
Old 11 Jul 2010, 17:34 (Ref:2725006)   #9
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Yes.

He's F1's Leo Messi.
Old 11 Jul 2010, 17:44 (Ref:2725013)   #10
Andy77
Veteran

Andy77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
By the amount Hamilton gets preferral treatments lately he will be champion at the end of season. But that isn't making him a better driver than Vettel or Webber this year
Old 11 Jul 2010, 17:46 (Ref:2725014)   #11
Hendrik
Racer

MagnetON
Germany
Hendrik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Hans View Post
Yes.

He's F1's Leo Messi.
He's more like Marco Materazzi.
Old 11 Jul 2010, 17:51 (Ref:2725017)   #12
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Who do you think is, MrTTraces?
Old 11 Jul 2010, 17:52 (Ref:2725019)   #13
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy77 View Post
By the amount Hamilton gets preferral treatments lately he will be champion at the end of season. But that isn't making him a better driver than Vettel or Webber this year
Uhoh.
Old 11 Jul 2010, 18:10 (Ref:2725029)   #14
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
He's surely one of the best. But THE best? I don't know...

There are a lot of good drivers, and every single one of them has his weakness.
Old 11 Jul 2010, 18:18 (Ref:2725034)   #15
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gert View Post
He's surely one of the best. But THE best? I don't know...

There are a lot of good drivers, and every single one of them has his weakness.
What would be his weaknesses? I don't see many or any TBH. Nothing that would not make him the out and out best driver currently. Everyone kept banging on about how he can't manage tires but even this argument is "tired". He won quite easily the race where tire management was the key i.e Canada.
Old 11 Jul 2010, 18:22 (Ref:2725035)   #16
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

He is only lacking in experience and a little tactical nous that goes with it. And I mean a little.
Old 11 Jul 2010, 18:37 (Ref:2725040)   #17
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
I would never said this before now but, yes, I think he is. Strangely enough I think he has learned a lot from Jenson this year and that has made him a more complete driver.

Conversely, Alonso is showing signs of immaturity. In two successive races now he has allowed his temperament to get the better of him.

The other two to take into account are Vettel and Kubica. Probably not Webber, even after today, although I would be happy to be proved wrong on that.
Old 11 Jul 2010, 18:41 (Ref:2725042)   #18
MrTTraces
Veteran

Zimbabwe
A place where the coffee is cold!
MrTTraces should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
Who do you think is, MrTTraces?
I'd have to say Button is

Seriously I think he is, he's smooth and consistant. Today he proved it from his poor grid slot.
Old 11 Jul 2010, 19:17 (Ref:2725054)   #19
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Sorry, I left Button out of my list of contenders. He should be in there.
Old 11 Jul 2010, 19:19 (Ref:2725055)   #20
ChrisPage
Racer

United Kingdom
Nottingham
ChrisPage should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes.

Its obviously I subjective call, but one I am certaiunly right about!
Old 11 Jul 2010, 19:33 (Ref:2725061)   #21
PabloTeK
Racer

United Kingdom
Err... Can I have a sports question?
PabloTeK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can't say he's outright the best because he still lacks the ability to switch off at times, however you can see how much he's matured as one of the Beeb commentators said, before he'd try to occupy a piece of track regardless of whether there was a car there or not already. Now he backs off a bit which Sfettel still doesn't. If Hamilton can get his tyre wear levels down to that of Button's then he's totally sorted to take on anyone! (Except Kobayashi without a front wing)

My personal best driver is Jenson for the simple ability to sit behind someone and then pounce or set several fastest laps in a row given clean air. Do wish he'd make it easier for himself on Saturday mind. Him and Lewis on the front row with a couple of safety cars thrown in would make for an interesting race indeed...

Of course Fred has six tenths on everyone else.
Old 11 Jul 2010, 19:45 (Ref:2725066)   #22
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

I agree on Alonso strider. Earlier in the season he was on a par with Hamilton, but he has let his head drop and is making some extraordinary errors. He is making me think back to 2004 now, when he was similarly off colour.
Old 11 Jul 2010, 20:33 (Ref:2725079)   #23
herowassenna
Veteran

herowassenna should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider View Post
I would never said this before now but, yes, I think he is. Strangely enough I think he has learned a lot from Jenson this year and that has made him a more complete driver.

Conversely, Alonso is showing signs of immaturity. In two successive races now he has allowed his temperament to get the better of him.

The other two to take into account are Vettel and Kubica. Probably not Webber, even after today, although I would be happy to be proved wrong on that.
I can't believe I'm agreeing with Strider, but yes, I think Hamilton currently is the best driver out there.
I've always liked Lewis because he is an out and out racer, but he has matured brilliantly and would so love to hear he's going to Ferrari at some stage. Although I may have to wait for Mclaren and Mercedes to part in 2015 for that...
Old 11 Jul 2010, 21:06 (Ref:2725105)   #24
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
I think that there are possibly only 3 drivers who are at the top of theiir game at the moment:

Hamilton, Kubica, Webber (even allowing for that Kovy ram)

Hamilton is driving with superlative pace on one lap and a whole race and with steely determination as well as using his brain.

Kubica is taking the Renault further forward than one could imagine and perhaps removing that tag he had garnered of being a whinger and inflexible to engineer. He is quick almost everywhere now and beating teams he shouldn't be.

Webber has driven to 3 brilliant wins this season as well finishing strongly in a number of other rounds, and I think is most likely to win the title.

Of the others:
Alonso is still I think potentially the overall best but seems to have gone a bit blip blip crazy as Ayrton used to say. He is ragged in the extreme but he still has time to come back strongly.....

Vettel is too busy trying to beat Webber and in doing so is beating himself.

Button can't qualify as well as his chief rivals but isn't far off them over a race.
Old 11 Jul 2010, 21:49 (Ref:2725125)   #25
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think defiantly this year. The last 4 races he was finished first and second. And in result getting the maxmium out of the car and carrying that car to those results. Melbourne and Barcelona he would have come second if it wasn't for bad luck so he'd be sitting much more ahead in the championship so without the bad luck from those races he's have been on the podium what literally every race? You can't fault how he's driving at the moment considering the Red Bull is the best car.
It's going to be scary if the updates work at Hockenheim and then for the rest of the season....He's insane. I'd say learn from Jense on how to make good calls and plan out a race and not not rely on the team and do qualifying every lap he'll be complete but that's what he like about him as he always makes things happen.

Last edited by luke; 11 Jul 2010 at 21:56.