Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 1 Oct 2010, 22:33 (Ref:2767981)   #426
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I don't want to get into this, specially when such person is involved, but I can't remember anything like that from Hamilton, but certainly I could be wrong.
Old 2 Oct 2010, 11:10 (Ref:2768099)   #427
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Autosport Top Story- 31st May 2007

Q&A- Ron Dennis

What was your reasoning behind running such a strategical race?

Our strategy was based on the probability of a safety car period and other cars that could threaten us as a result of the safety car being deployed. I don't like to slow drivers down, because I am an absolute racer.

Why is Monaco such a special case?

It's a place where one driver pushing another driver can induce a mistake. Then everybody would have said, "What an idiot the team principal from McLaren is for allowing his cars to compete, where one of them's in the barrier". That's not the right way to go.

Does Lewis have an equal shot at the world title?

Of course he does. I've been criticised in the past for not favouring a driver and frittering a way a world championship. We will never favour one driver, no matter who it is; we never have and we never will.

Where do you draw the line between team orders and team strategy?

Strategy is what you bring to bear to win a Grand Prix. Team orders manipulate a Grand Prix. And we have not manipulated Grands Prix- unless there were some exceptional circumstances that occurred.

Q&A- Lewis Hamilton

It looks like your team-mate is continually fuelled shorter to gain the best shot at pole in Q3. Does that frustrate you?

At the end of the day, I am a rookie and I finished second in only my first Monaco GP, so I can't complain. And to see I am of a similar pace to Fernando is a positive for me. But it is something I have to live with. I've got the number two on my car. I am the number two driver.

Why did the team decide to pit you earlier than planned?

We were both on two-stop strategies, and if the safety car had come out it could have had a big effect on us and we wouldn't have ended up with the points we finally scored. It was important to get us both in because anything could have happened. It was the safe route.

Is it difficult to come to terms with being the number two driver?

Well, there wouldn't necessarily any team orders. The team didn't say I had to stay behind Fernando. It would have been easy for me to maybe push a bit harder and touch the barrier or push Fernando into a mistake. Coming into this year, I expected to be the number two driver. I am just a rookie.

Last edited by Born Racer; 2 Oct 2010 at 11:21.
Old 2 Oct 2010, 12:43 (Ref:2768121)   #428
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
Autosport Top Story- 31st May 2007

Q&A- Ron Dennis

What was your reasoning behind running such a strategical race?

Our strategy was based on the probability of a safety car period and other cars that could threaten us as a result of the safety car being deployed. I don't like to slow drivers down, because I am an absolute racer.

Why is Monaco such a special case?

It's a place where one driver pushing another driver can induce a mistake. Then everybody would have said, "What an idiot the team principal from McLaren is for allowing his cars to compete, where one of them's in the barrier". That's not the right way to go.

Does Lewis have an equal shot at the world title?

Of course he does. I've been criticised in the past for not favouring a driver and frittering a way a world championship. We will never favour one driver, no matter who it is; we never have and we never will.

Where do you draw the line between team orders and team strategy?

Strategy is what you bring to bear to win a Grand Prix. Team orders manipulate a Grand Prix. And we have not manipulated Grands Prix- unless there were some exceptional circumstances that occurred.

Q&A- Lewis Hamilton

It looks like your team-mate is continually fuelled shorter to gain the best shot at pole in Q3. Does that frustrate you?

At the end of the day, I am a rookie and I finished second in only my first Monaco GP, so I can't complain. And to see I am of a similar pace to Fernando is a positive for me. But it is something I have to live with. I've got the number two on my car. I am the number two driver.

Why did the team decide to pit you earlier than planned?

We were both on two-stop strategies, and if the safety car had come out it could have had a big effect on us and we wouldn't have ended up with the points we finally scored. It was important to get us both in because anything could have happened. It was the safe route.

Is it difficult to come to terms with being the number two driver?

Well, there wouldn't necessarily any team orders. The team didn't say I had to stay behind Fernando. It would have been easy for me to maybe push a bit harder and touch the barrier or push Fernando into a mistake. Coming into this year, I expected to be the number two driver. I am just a rookie.
That's interesting and very telling.
Old 2 Oct 2010, 17:25 (Ref:2768262)   #429
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
What does it tell you, do you reckon?
Old 2 Oct 2010, 17:56 (Ref:2768281)   #430
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Only that at some later point in the season Hamilton had a complete change of attitude!
Old 2 Oct 2010, 22:02 (Ref:2768416)   #431
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
That there was a driver hierarchy and team strategy was a euphamism for team orders; although it's all very well reasoned.
Old 5 Oct 2010, 06:42 (Ref:2769576)   #432
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Reading that reminds me just why Alonso felt the need to sabotage his own team.
Old 5 Oct 2010, 19:09 (Ref:2769919)   #433
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Uhn... what a need.
Old 8 Oct 2010, 16:12 (Ref:2771514)   #434
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Getting back to the original question and in the light of what happened today there is, for once, quite an interesting about Lewis on Crash.net: http://www.crash.net/f1/news/164087/..._downfall.html
Old 8 Oct 2010, 16:40 (Ref:2771520)   #435
stripedcat
Veteran

stripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridstripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Interesting article, Strider. It is one of the reasons why Lewis is such an interesting driver that he races all out. Unfortunately that can cause a lot of problems, as we have seen lately.

As for his 2010 title hopes - well after his last crash in Singapore and what with his McLaren's lack of pace I can't help but think that he is out of the hunt. I know it is still close at the top and anything can happen in the race, but still I think the odds are against Hamilton.
Old 8 Oct 2010, 17:40 (Ref:2771542)   #436
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
I have this feeling that you're right. I was watching P1 and he only had about 45 minutes in that plus another 10 in P2. It's going to be tough, particularly if tomorrow is wet and the race dry.

Maybe that never-say-die attitude will help him pull something out of the bag. I hope so.
Old 8 Oct 2010, 17:46 (Ref:2771547)   #437
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
So Lewis has had 1 win, 3 DNFs, 2 crashes and one more today since I started this thread.

Jinx.
Old 8 Oct 2010, 18:02 (Ref:2771556)   #438
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yes, I must admit in my eyes his stock value has with a few stutters, gradually declined over the course of this year.
Old 8 Oct 2010, 19:44 (Ref:2771610)   #439
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
He's just hit that crap run of results/form that every great driver suffers from at some point, it's not as though he's been slow is it, just an unfortunate run of events and subsequent incidents.

In 2008, the sort of thing that happened to him in Singapore would probably have gone in his favour, not Webber's as it turned out. Sometimes things just go against you and there's nothing you can do?
Old 8 Oct 2010, 20:00 (Ref:2771622)   #440
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralf fan View Post
So Lewis has had 1 win, 3 DNFs, 2 crashes and one more today since I started this thread.

Jinx.
Yours ?
Old 8 Oct 2010, 20:47 (Ref:2771646)   #441
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Think if he didn't crash in Monza or Singapore. He'd finish behind webber in the latter but not Monza. I don't think it was entirely his fault at Monza, nor at Singapore. But what happens, happens. Those points are valuable, but Hamilton will rebound. There's 4 races left including Japan. that's a possible 100 points. I'm willing to go out on a limb and say he has the possibility to win Korea and Abu Dhabi. Long straights, tight corners, high speed will play into McLaren's car. Brazil is another potential circuit he could win at. There's nothing but up from here. He's aggressive, good. I'd rather someone go all out and try to pass than watch 'follow the leader' like almost every other driver, bar some Alonso or Kobayashi.
Old 8 Oct 2010, 20:50 (Ref:2771649)   #442
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
Think if he didn't crash in Monza or Singapore. He'd finish behind webber in the latter but not Monza. I don't think it was entirely his fault at Monza, nor at Singapore. But what happens, happens. Those points are valuable, but Hamilton will rebound. There's 4 races left including Japan. that's a possible 100 points. I'm willing to go out on a limb and say he has the possibility to win Korea and Abu Dhabi. Long straights, tight corners, high speed will play into McLaren's car. Brazil is another potential circuit he could win at. There's nothing but up from here. He's aggressive, good. I'd rather someone go all out and try to pass than watch 'follow the leader' like almost every other driver, bar some Alonso or Kobayashi.
That's assuming there is a Korean GP.
Old 8 Oct 2010, 20:52 (Ref:2771653)   #443
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
I have no doubt there will be. It doesn't take 2 weeks for the pavement to cure. And if what they're saying is true the final layer was laid yesterday. So I HOPE there is one, and I expect there to be one. If there wasn't one we'd probably know by now.
Old 8 Oct 2010, 21:03 (Ref:2771662)   #444
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
I have no doubt there will be. It doesn't take 2 weeks for the pavement to cure. And if what they're saying is true the final layer was laid yesterday. So I HOPE there is one, and I expect there to be one. If there wasn't one we'd probably know by now.
On the thread about the possibility of the Korean GP going ahead, it was said it can take 4 weeks to cure.
Old 8 Oct 2010, 21:13 (Ref:2771669)   #445
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
Quote:
The subject seems to have changed somewhat, but Charlie Whiting is not going to inspect the circuit until after Japan, so we won't know until then.