Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 23 Nov 2001, 22:03 (Ref:178278)   #1
SL
Veteran

SL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Le Mans Book

In this months Motor Sport there is a new book advertised, "Le Mans 24 Hours" apparently the complete story of the Worlds most famous race by Brian Laban.

Looks quite good value for £30 via Virgin books (01206 255800)

Anyone got the book ? Know the auther?

Simon
Old 2 Dec 2001, 20:21 (Ref:181371)   #2
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
OK. Will someone please tell me how I managed to miss this thread?!!

A book - the complete story? I want it. Simple as that.

But no, I don't know anything about it!

Having said that, I've got two other "complete story" type books but they are rather thin tomes with limited information on each race.

I think it's time to do some research on this one, SL!!

Old 2 Dec 2001, 20:29 (Ref:181378)   #3
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'm back.

Take a look here, SL

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...596189-4505447

It seems the book came out on 4th October and is a collaboration between Laban and the one and only Derek Bell. Going for 7 quid off at Amazon at the moment (£28.00). I'll keep fishing for other references - the Amazon page doesn't say much although the front cover looks good:-

Last edited by Aysedasi; 13 Mar 2010 at 20:44.
Old 2 Dec 2001, 20:46 (Ref:181386)   #4
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Yes, I'm back again! Just done a spot more Googlin'.

Some more usaeful references for you, SL:-

http://www.studentbookworld.com/Book...A-D3FD68B29DD7

http://www.nilsson-lamm.nl/categorie...al=NL&CatID=16

http://www.pitstop.net.au/pitstop.ns...256AE10001E119

http://www.virginbooks.com/vp/Q4smar...qjUFqow8116CWU

The last is to Virgin Books website. They have this to say:-

Quote:
Since 1923, for one long weekend each year in the early summer, the eyes of the motor racing world have focused on a small town in north western France, whose name has become synonymous with the race that takes place annually on its outskirts. That race is The Grand Prix d'Endurance de Vingt-Quatre Heures du Mans, the 24 Hours of Le Mans.
Le Mans is an institution, an event where the tradition and the history, the international rivalry, the heat and dust, the all-night-party atmosphere and the bleary dawn of the second day are as much a part of the experience as the race itself. And all of it is constructed around the colourful high-speed carnival on the famous circuit.
This book is the story of what makes Le Mans so special. With over 250 photographs, many previously unpublished and taken from the archives at Le Mans, along with newly researched material and interviews, Brian Laban tells the full story of the races, the drivers, the teams and the technology behind the most famous motor race in the world.
I still want it!!

Oh, and here's a slightly bigger picture of the cover.....

Now that I can actually read the cover (!), I see that "Dinger" just wrote the forward.

Last edited by Aysedasi; 13 Mar 2010 at 20:44.
Old 2 Dec 2001, 20:56 (Ref:181390)   #5
SL
Veteran

Yup,

That's the one alright. I have a funny feeling that Santa has a copy already on his sleigh for me, so I'll have to wait until later this month to see if it is as good as it sounds.

Thanks for the research.

Simon
Old 2 Dec 2001, 21:08 (Ref:181401)   #6
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Good for you, SL. I'm writing my note to the white bearded one right now........
Old 3 Dec 2001, 08:57 (Ref:181529)   #7
AllonFS
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bristol, UK
AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!
I have the book! It arrived last week, courtesy of 'The Book People'. And get this, it cost £10 rather than £35 and you don't even have to join a club. For those of you who are UK based, the tel no. is 0870 6077740, lines open 7 days a week 8 til 8. The reference no is 237MAL, £9.99 + post.

The book itself is really good. Okay the description of each race is a tad brief, but still interesting. It isn't just race reports either, it includes background on the politics, characters, entertainments; all the things that make Le Mans so special. There is some good history of the early days of the race, as well as some stunning photos.

Not bad value at £35, a complete steal for £10. It's even has a report and photos of this year, so Bentleys start and end the book.

(And no I'm not on commission - honest!)
Old 3 Dec 2001, 20:18 (Ref:181810)   #8
Kpy
Veteran

Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally posted by AllonFS
I have the book! It arrived last week, courtesy of 'The Book People'. And get this, it cost £10 rather than £35 and you don't even have to join a club. For those of you who are UK based, the tel no. is 0870 6077740, lines open 7 days a week 8 til 8. The reference no is 237MAL, £9.99 + post.

Thanks, Allon, problem is it's currently listed as "sold out" on their web site. I'm not UK based and am not available to 'phone in UK office hours. Perhaps someone could call them to find out if they plan on getting more stock .............
Old 3 Dec 2001, 20:31 (Ref:181820)   #9
SL
Veteran

I'm planning on calling Tuesday. IF they still have stock, cheapskate Santa will have to offload from his sleigh !!! £10 pressie for me for Xmas indeed

Watch this space for details, I'll see if they will put one aside for you Kyp.

SL
Old 3 Dec 2001, 20:34 (Ref:181821)   #10
Kpy
Veteran

Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally posted by SL

Watch this space for details, I'll see if they will put one aside for you Kyp.

SL
You're a hero SL
Old 4 Dec 2001, 15:51 (Ref:182099)   #11
SL
Veteran

To all,

'Fraid the Book Club have indeed sold out of the book. The girl was unsure when / if more stock will be in but suggested that I try again next week.

SL
Old 4 Dec 2001, 16:17 (Ref:182113)   #12
AllonFS
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bristol, UK
AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!
Sorry the information was too late to be of any use to you. I didn't want to recommend either the book or the company until it arrived as I hadn't used them before. Amazon it is I guess, still worth it though in my opinion.

Better luck next time.
Old 4 Dec 2001, 17:00 (Ref:182157)   #13
SL
Veteran

That's alright AllonFS, I sure you will not mind if we all turn up at your house on Sunday to read it cover to cover

If you could get some beers and crisps in, maybe a Le Mans Video or two as well.....

Roll on Christmas Day

Simon
Old 4 Dec 2001, 22:12 (Ref:182320)   #14
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally posted by SL
That's alright AllonFS, I sure you will not mind if we all turn up at your house on Sunday to read it cover to cover

If you could get some beers and crisps in, maybe a Le Mans Video or two as well.....

Roll on Christmas Day

Simon
Bud + cheese & onion, please Allon. (Unless of course you can manage champagne and a Grand Marnier crepe or two - just to get into the right mood while we read!!).

Old 5 Dec 2001, 11:29 (Ref:182458)   #15
AllonFS
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bristol, UK
I was thinking more overpriced baguette and salty frites washed down with cheap Carrefour beer. For the real 2001 experience I am happy to throw buckets of water at people as well. For a fee, of course!
Old 5 Dec 2001, 13:01 (Ref:182477)   #16
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
I may have another source for the book at £9.99. Need to check it out first though. Watch this space!!
Old 5 Dec 2001, 13:29 (Ref:182493)   #17
Kpy
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Aysedasi
Watch this space!!
We're watching!!
Old 13 Dec 2001, 08:45 (Ref:185348)   #18
AllonFS
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bristol, UK
Another 'Book People' booklet dropped out of the Radio Times yesterday, with the Le Mans book in it again. Don't know if this was printed before or after they ran out of stock, but might be worth trying them again.

Good luck.
Old 21 Dec 2001, 10:10 (Ref:188361)   #19
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
SL,
Sadly Santa got his sleigh from Lister, and this year it will not make 12hrs never mind 24hr so pressie could be delayed, think again re pressie from this santa!!

Last edited by Nordic; 21 Dec 2001 at 10:15.
Old 21 Dec 2001, 12:46 (Ref:188401)   #20
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
According to my good lady wife, the book has now become very difficult to get hold of - so I may not get it for Xmas after all!!

Old 21 Dec 2001, 16:04 (Ref:188466)   #21
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think its £25 in my local Smiths.

Might have to try that out, or get it for my Dads birthday, after reading it myself of course!!
Old 21 Dec 2001, 22:00 (Ref:188580)   #22
SL
Veteran

Quote:
Sadly Santa got his sleigh from Lister, and this year it will not make 12hrs never mind 24hr so pressie could be delayed, think again re pressie from this santa!!
But how would you know what Santa has on his sleigh. If the book only cost £10 then I can understand why as it is far to chaep. Looking foward to a well filled stocking this year (hopefully blonde)

By the way, do I even know you ??? Anything to do with Nordic Racing ?? Or are you Santa himself posting from the outer extrimes of the Nordic Empire ?

Happy Christmas anyway, Make sure that the turkey is well cooked.

SL
Old 27 Dec 2001, 15:47 (Ref:189957)   #23
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Well I got my copy on Xmas day, I must say it fantastic, it a must for any Sportscar fan.
Old 27 Dec 2001, 17:32 (Ref:189969)   #24
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally posted by rdjones
Well I got my copy on Xmas day, I must say it fantastic, it a must for any Sportscar fan.
Lucky chap, rd. I didn't.

My alternative source (mentioned quite a few posts back) turned out to be the one previously mentioned by others, so I'm still looking, discount or full price, I intend to have it!!
Old 27 Dec 2001, 18:07 (Ref:189991)   #25
SL
Veteran

Quote:
So did I, very good book, lots of great photo's

SL