Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > NASCAR & Stock Car Racing

Old 6 Sep 2018, 17:27 (Ref:3848525)   #151
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
So Furniture Row shutting up shop and Truex/ Pearn rumoured all over the place but most strongly at JGR replacing Suarez.

Tellingly, it's sponsor leaving - and clearly no replacement lined up - behind this; if the current champion team is struggling for sponsorship then I would think it's a very harsh environment for any team at the mo?

Unless I missed it Hendrick still hasn't got a sponsor announced for Jimmie Johnsons car either...
Old 9 Sep 2018, 21:02 (Ref:3849075)   #152
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Nope, NASCAR themselves have taken up MASSIVE amounts of the sponsorship dollars to be corporate partners. Why be with a team that may not win when you can be the to the whole series, no driver to do something stupid, no crew chief to deal with suspensions. Well you do have the idiots in charge but that doesn't seem to hurt sponsors like a driver can.
Old 10 Sep 2018, 16:23 (Ref:3849226)   #153
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
Monster are off at the end of the year though, so either they decided NASCAR viewers aren't their target audience after all or have better value for money spending their sponsorship dollars elsewhere?
Old 11 Sep 2018, 02:16 (Ref:3849286)   #154
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Anyone else know the Brickyard 400 was run today? No? I didn't either until I caught some random blurb on random station...
Old 11 Sep 2018, 07:23 (Ref:3849295)   #155
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Yeah, but only after a pop up from NASCAR app on my phone during the xfinity race - which also ran Monday. Looked like the stands were near empty (for xfinity). In bed before Cup! 🙁
Old 13 Sep 2018, 21:15 (Ref:3849954)   #156
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Not 2018 but future driver possibly
Old 14 Sep 2018, 16:30 (Ref:3850139)   #157
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Daytona? It would be more interesting to see him at Bristol or Darlington.
Old 14 Sep 2018, 16:45 (Ref:3850145)   #158
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
Daytona? It would be more interesting to see him at Bristol or Darlington.
Agreed but there's only 1 Daytona 500 and only 1 person to win Le Mans overall and the 500. He may want to match Super Tex.
Old 1 Oct 2018, 02:32 (Ref:3853700)   #159
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Well, I was certainly worn out by the end of the roval race today.

Now, on a brighter note, Sears Point is announcing the reinstatement of the old, 2.52-mile layout for the Cup series for next year.
Old 1 Oct 2018, 21:03 (Ref:3853918)   #160
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist View Post
Well, I was certainly worn out by the end of the roval race today.

Now, on a brighter note, Sears Point is announcing the reinstatement of the old, 2.52-mile layout for the Cup series for next year.
Carousel comes to mind unless I'm mixing things up... how many years ago since NASCAR ran that layout?
Old 1 Oct 2018, 22:25 (Ref:3853930)   #161
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
Carousel comes to mind unless I'm mixing things up... how many years ago since NASCAR ran that layout?
Yup, Carousel is the complex. And it's been since 1997 since they ran the "full" course.
Old 2 Oct 2018, 09:35 (Ref:3854002)   #162
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
Yup, Carousel is the complex. And it's been since 1997 since they ran the "full" course.
For those who know more about NASCAR than I do, was the full circuit better for racing? Is this a step up?
Old 2 Oct 2018, 10:20 (Ref:3854009)   #163
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
FormulaFox is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
For those who know more about NASCAR than I do, was the full circuit better for racing? Is this a step up?
Well, in a couple of weeks the SCCA Runoffs will be held at Sonoma, and the layout map indicates that they're using the carousel. The races are supposed to be streamed as they have been since 2009, so tune in(or, if timing doesn't allow for it, check out the stream archives once they go up a couple weeks later) to check out the GT1 class to get something of an idea what it might be like for when NASCAR comes by - they'll be the closest thing to NASCAR that you'll be able to see until June. They're going to be the first class up on the first race day - October 19th at 8:30 AM local (Pacific Standard) time.

If you'd like to know more... Well, I've just been parroting the information contained on the site, so here y'go: https://www.scca.com/runoffs I'll be glad to help provide information not contained(or sufficiently detailed) on the site, though.
Old 2 Oct 2018, 12:52 (Ref:3854041)   #164
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
I like the short course both there and at the Glen. Both suit the cars and racing better, imho.

However, I kind of over Sonoma. It would be nice to mix another road course in for the top series.
Old 2 Oct 2018, 13:41 (Ref:3854062)   #165
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
I'm not sure the longer course does much to add to the race for stock cars,, they were making the infield of "The Roval" (because apparently Daytona doesn't have an important one as well??) look pretty narrow at times and it's pretty damn wide most places. I don't remember much Indy action through there but then there isn't much action at Sonoma at any point on the track with them so maybe not a good comparison.
Old 3 Oct 2018, 02:16 (Ref:3854213)   #166
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
I'd say the long course is at least even in terms of racing; you might actually get one extra, conventional overtaking spot per lap. Given how liberally they use that extra pavement on the outside of the short chute from Turn 4 to T7, T4 itself isn't really an overtaking point anymore. You might see some outbraking into there now, with guys still being a bit off-balance coming out of the left/right sequence of Turn 3. The Turn 7 hairpin is a good zone, as you'd expect. Also, the Turn 5 sweep and crest just before T6 could put some drivers out of sorts, leaving scope for an opportunistic move there into the Carousel.

In addition, I think the road course racing in NASCAR has improved generally quite a bit since the last race on the original layout back in 1997.

The 3 recent IndyCar layouts aren't applicable. They used shortened versions of the Turn 11 hairpin. They also used the motorcycle chicane at Turn 9. They used the traditional layout of the Turn 7 hairpin in 2005-07, but then started mucking about with that, and didn't really improve the racing by doing that; they mainly just increased the likelihood of spear-jobs into T7 by running them straight down the dragstrip for the entry into T7 itself, rather than using that road that angles off to the left to give a slightly more open entrance to the corner. Using the 2.52-mile layout, IndyCar probably would have been averaging 130 mph for the pole this year, not 110 mph on their 2.385-mile variant of the course.

There are various reasons NASCAR did the roval at Charlotte. I'm sure they want to keep the July race at Daytona under the lights, and the infield doesn't have the lighting like the oval does. It's also a restrictor-plate race. Furthermore, there have been all the complaints about too many 1.5-milers on the calendar, so they found a convenient way to reduce that count by one.

On top of that, I wonder if they would have been worried about being able to make a tire that was compliant enough to navigate the Daytona infield, while also being durable enough to take the loads on the banking as fast as they'd get going; this would be especially important to consider for the cars as they went through the tri-oval section. Tire loading was one of the reasons I'm sure that was given for the old IMSA dropping the Charlotte roval after 1986, and came up very prominently again in the ALMS race at Texas Motor Speedway in 2001, when one of the factory Corvettes in the GTS class blew a right-rear coming off of Oval Turn 4.

Finally, I think the long course at Sears Point is likely to work better for Cup than Watkins Glen would with "the Boot", because at the Glen, you'd then have that one comparatively enormous straight for the whole lap, and then just another 3-5 "short" straights the rest of the way around. With this change at Sonoma, you now have a third "long" high-speed stretch to work with to set up an overtake, to go along with T11-T2 and T7-T11.
Old 3 Oct 2018, 02:38 (Ref:3854215)   #167
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
My comments about The Roval was about the idiots in charge talking about how unique the Roval they built was in racing and how's it is something that should remain exclusive to Charlotte. Cause you know that other roval doesn't exist down there in Florida
Old 3 Oct 2018, 13:07 (Ref:3854277)   #168
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Due to curiosity about the track and the front row of the starting grid looking rather interesting with Kurt Busch and AJ Allmendinger who are both known drivers for followers of IndyCar like me, I watched my 2nd NASCAR race ever with the Charlotte Roval debut last Sunday, not expecting much but lots of yellows due to maybe somebody clearing the tire barriers on the backstretch chicane again and again, having seen such previously in other series, most notably F1 back in 1994 when they were very keen on putting tire chicanes onto their tracks.

I was surprised by how good the racing action actually turned out to be. The multiple racing lines that are possible in the infield section have been very enjoyable to watch, especially in the dicing around there that Larson and Keselowski (I think it was) had around there. The fact that later, the entire outside lane on the restart missed their braking point completely and thus hit the wall in the 1st corner was quite unexpected, given how good the racing had been up to that point. And the race-deciding overtaking move from Jimmie Johnson on Martin Truex looked like it wasn't going to work because Johnson tried for the outside line first before locking it up on the inside, instead of going for the inside right away which, of course, was protected by Truex.

I was surprised by how close the concrete walls had been placed to the infield section and first thought SMI did this reconstruction a bit on the cheap, but given the limited space available and the IMSA circuit they had in place there already, they probably have done the best they could do - almost.
I say almost because there was one thing very bewildering that I noticed watching that race on this track: right behind the wall on the outside of the 2nd turn of the Roval, a safety truck was parked all race long. That's almost a 90 degree turn and the COTs move through it at speed. Yet, still, there is no safety fencing on top of that wall. That dangerous situation should be changed before the next running of this event.
Old 4 Oct 2018, 20:26 (Ref:3854559)   #169
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
This story is great, little guys going big time with somebody's show car

https://jalopnik.com/how-a-decade-ol...-sh-1827444096
That's a cool story, and the sort of thing I grew up in Central Florida reading the newspaper.

But, that is a Mustang?
Old 5 Oct 2018, 19:47 (Ref:3854747)   #170
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by skycafe View Post
That's a cool story, and the sort of thing I grew up in Central Florida reading the newspaper.

But, that is a Mustang?
Some new sheet metal at the front and back is essentially all that was needed to give it the NASCAR Mustang look as opposed to Fusion or whichever car it was originally meant to be.
Old 8 Oct 2018, 17:25 (Ref:3855478)   #171
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Chase!!
Old 8 Oct 2018, 21:25 (Ref:3855531)   #172
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Yeah! Chip off the old block, nice to see the young man win on an oval.

With this and JJs run last week it really does look like Hendrick have found some performance. Nice to see some Chevys at the sharp end 😀
Old 14 Oct 2018, 21:26 (Ref:3856840)   #173
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
So far this is the most pathetic, worthless race at Talladega I have ever seen.

Also, there must be something seriously wrong with Paul Menard. Either he's effin' blind, believing he's leading when he's actually in fifth, blocking everyone behind him. Or, he's secretly employed by Stewart-Haas. I'm surprised Logano, who has a knack of putting people in the wall, didn't send Menard spinning into the infield.

Gotta hand it to Stewart-Haas though, they've executed almost flawless restarts and it's not their fault ALL the other drivers are completely ******* useless.

Let's hope something, ANYTHING, interesting happens on this restart.

Edit - Whelp, it did. Thank **** it was Almirola winning it. This finish did NOT, however, make up for the first 99% of the race. If this is was preview of the 2019 Daytona 500 we're so screwed...

Last edited by rustyfan; 14 Oct 2018 at 21:36.
Old 14 Oct 2018, 22:59 (Ref:3856847)   #174
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Not seen any of it, am (was?) planning to watch the highlight show, but sounds like I shouldn't bother.

Menard has always looked out of his depth in Cup to my eyes. He's not alone mind...
Old 15 Oct 2018, 05:27 (Ref:3856887)   #175
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
Not seen any of it, am (was?) planning to watch the highlight show, but sounds like I shouldn't bother.

Menard has always looked out of his depth in Cup to my eyes. He's not alone mind...
I'll recap the race for you:

**SPOILER**

Stewart-Haas takes team co-operation to another level, running 1-2-3-4 for nearly all laps. When they don't the other drivers are too stupid to stop them from taking over the top four spots within a few laps anyway. It's single file for much of the race. There's no Big One, just a few spins and a few minor wrecks. A late caution takes the race to overtime. Harvick runs out of gas before they even restart. SHR keeps leading, but Kurt Busch runs dry on the final turn allowing Almirola to snatch the win and secure his place in the round of 8.

**/SPOILER**
tl;dr - the last two laps is the ONLY interesting thing about this travesty of a race.

As for Menard... The cars right behind him as he was blocking like a madman? His own "team mates", via the Penske affiliation, who, with Keselowski in charge, were trying their damndest to get the other morons organised in order to run down the cars from SHR. Just how good were SHR? They drove away, sometimes just the four of them, from the rest of the pack completely on their own. It was ridiculous how good they were. It was a Mike Tyson-in-his-prime beat-up of the rest of the field. Again, SHR did absolutely nothing wrong and it was damn impressive. But it sure as hell didn't make for an exciting race.

Edit - Oh and here's a fun stat for you: yesterday's race saw a total of... 15 lead changes. 15! At Talladega! That's half the amount we've seen the last couple of years, around 30, which in turn is roughly half of the passes we saw quite regularly a mere five years ago (when there were 52 passes for the lead during the 2013 fall race which McMurray won).

Last edited by rustyfan; 15 Oct 2018 at 05:34.